CSNbbs
New Construction Downtown Dekalb - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: New Construction Downtown Dekalb (/thread-810687.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

New Construction Downtown Dekalb - NIUfilmmaker - 02-28-2017 12:55 PM

I know this isn't sports-related, but great news for downtown Dekalb and NIU. Dekalb seems to have given the OK for the new 51-unit luxury apartment building where Otto's used to be. Should really dress up the downtown look, hope Shodeen follows close behind with their projects.

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2017/02/27/dekalb-city-council-approves-cornerstone-rezoning/acs4jhy/

You can google for renderings of the building, I'm too lazy to attach ;(

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - HuskiePride12 - 02-28-2017 01:40 PM

MUCH needed.

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - Dtownboys - 02-28-2017 06:50 PM

Great news People need to wake up and realize growth is needed for DeKalb to improve.

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - Teamduh - 03-01-2017 09:43 AM

(02-28-2017 06:50 PM)Dtownboys Wrote:  Great news People need to wake up and realize growth is needed for DeKalb to improve.
Following ISU's lead

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - NIUfilmmaker - 03-02-2017 02:11 PM

(02-28-2017 12:55 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  I know this isn't sports-related, but great news for downtown Dekalb and NIU. Dekalb seems to have given the OK for the new 51-unit luxury apartment building where Otto's used to be. Should really dress up the downtown look, hope Shodeen follows close behind with their projects.

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2017/02/27/dekalb-city-council-approves-cornerstone-rezoning/acs4jhy/

You can google for renderings of the building, I'm too lazy to attach ;(

Here you go, slow day at work....

[Image: cornerstone.jpg]

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - NIU1981 - 03-02-2017 03:56 PM

Wow, that's nice. Thanks for sharing.

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - uiniu57 - 03-02-2017 05:16 PM

(02-28-2017 12:55 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  I know this isn't sports-related, but great news for downtown Dekalb and NIU. Dekalb seems to have given the OK for the new 51-unit luxury apartment building where Otto's used to be. Should really dress up the downtown look, hope Shodeen follows close behind with their projects.

Is there an architect's rendering that anyone dislikes? Considering there are empty buildings / storefronts all over DeKalb, the question is how much is the rent going to be for store owners? Because more empty spaces will not "dress up the downtown look."
Keep in mind that NIU's enrollment has been dropping, DeKalb's population has been decreasing, and there is a glut of rental properties, so does it help or just shift a problem to a new location?
You make reference to a "51-unit luxury apartment building" and the article mentions "51 fully furnished single-bedroom units".....exactly how many single-bedroom units do you consider to be luxury?
There were grandiose plans for the space between the new bank next to the Walgreens and Hickey's Marathon gas station and nothing has come of that....the old Subway remains an ice cream shop for the time being. This city council is big on approving and re-zoning but then not producing. There was a local radio report two days ago that the developer also wants help to pay for the demolition because of asbestos, this on top of $3 million tax increment. Can't imagine any of those potential store locations appealing to businesses who can only count on increased traffic from two Saturday home football games.
P.S. Dtownboys. You think Pappas cares that growth is needed for DeKalb to improve or is he simply concerned with his own bank account?

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - DeKalb57 - 03-02-2017 06:09 PM

(03-02-2017 05:16 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  

Is there an architect's rendering that anyone dislikes? Considering there are empty buildings / storefronts all over DeKalb, the question is how much is the rent going to be for store owners? Because more empty spaces will not "dress up the downtown look."
Keep in mind that NIU's enrollment has been dropping, DeKalb's population has been decreasing, and there is a glut of rental properties, so does it help or just shift a problem to a new location?
You make reference to a "51-unit luxury apartment building" and the article mentions "51 fully furnished single-bedroom units".....exactly how many single-bedroom units do you consider to be luxury?
There were grandiose plans for the space between the new bank next to the Walgreens and Hickey's Marathon gas station and nothing has come of that....the old Subway remains an ice cream shop for the time being. This city council is big on approving and re-zoning but then not producing. There was a local radio report two days ago that the developer also wants help to pay for the demolition because of asbestos, this on top of $3 million tax increment. Can't imagine any of those potential store locations appealing to businesses who can only count on increased traffic from two Saturday home football games.
P.S. Dtownboys. You think Pappas cares that growth is needed for DeKalb to improve or is he simply concerned with his own bank account?
Is there a point to this post or, is this just a rambling rant?

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - Big_Man - 03-02-2017 06:23 PM

So you are essentially saying that you prefer a dilapidated building with no use to a new building with potential use?

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - NIUfilmmaker - 03-02-2017 06:59 PM

(03-02-2017 06:09 PM)DeKalb57 Wrote:  

I blocked uiniu57 a while ago and I now remember why... 03-wink

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - Teamduh - 03-02-2017 07:10 PM

(03-02-2017 06:59 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 06:09 PM)DeKalb57 Wrote:  

I blocked uiniu57 a while ago and I now remember why... 03-wink
As Steve Martin used to say, "have a point."

https://youtu.be/-JLbAePwoHQ

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - uiniu57 - 03-02-2017 08:23 PM

The point is that every time a proposal is made, some on this board automatically think it's great without even looking into the situation or doing any investigation.
In response to Big Man, no one prefers a dilapidated building with no use, but you can't just knock a building down without additional costs and where is that money going to come from? You, NIUfilmmaker, Team duh. Since none of you live, work, or pay taxes here, it's real easy to approve every proposal that catches your eye and hand out tax breaks.
Drive down Sycamore road and check out all the strip malls with empty spaces or be here long enough to see businesses (Barnes & Noble, Pennys, Sears, Johnny's, JoAnn Fabrics, etc.) come and go because of excessive rent and little traffic. Just because you're convinced if you build it, they will come, doesn't mean it's true for DeKalb. Not in favor of a dilapidated building, a vast empty lot, or unused strip malls, all of which is what is left after these developers decide they can't make money off the town and NIU.
Ask Jim Mason or some of the other local landlords that support and have supported Huskie athletics for years what they think of developers from Rockford ala Pappas, Shodeen, etc.
The point, which you guys seem to conveniently ignore, is that actions affect both sides. DeKalb needs to do a better job of considering what its actions do to the university and the opposite is also true. This may sound great to you guys because you're assuming it will help athletics, but talk to some of the local businesses and find out how they feel some university and athletic decisions adversely affect them.
While I could care less that NIUfilmmaker blocked me because I didn't want to rename the university, there's an obvious irony in his choosing to block a contrary opinion similar to the way he mocks Penn State for ignoring those who spoke out about a Penn State cover-up.

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - HuskieBowWow - 03-03-2017 02:55 PM

I have lived in DeKalb since graduating from NIU over 40 years ago. I have seen numerous local developments come and go over the years for various reasons. Most of the failures were developed by out of town or out of state corporations. Pappas is neither of these - he's lived in DeKalb/Sycamore for as long as I have and he has successfully developed dozens of commercial and residential properties in the area.

The former Otto's building have been vacant and condemned for several years and no one expected anyone would want to touch it given the cost of rehabbing or demolition. I'm very happy that Pappas is willing to invest in this property, although I'm skeptical of how big a market there is for additional rental property. It's a prime downtown location and can help revitalize it. TIF dollars are a good way to finance the demolition. The alternative would be for the city to pay out of the general fund which would require a tax increase or deficit spending. Overall, I'd say it's a win-win for DeKalb.

P.S. just to set the record straight Penneys and B&N are closing stores all over the country not just DeKalb, Johhnys was replaced by Texas Roadhouse, and Sears is still in business next to TJ Maxx.

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - Dtownboys - 03-03-2017 03:43 PM

(03-02-2017 08:23 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  The point is that every time a proposal is made, some on this board automatically think it's great without even looking into the situation or doing any investigation.
In response to Big Man, no one prefers a dilapidated building with no use, but you can't just knock a building down without additional costs and where is that money going to come from? You, NIUfilmmaker, Team duh. Since none of you live, work, or pay taxes here, it's real easy to approve every proposal that catches your eye and hand out tax breaks.
Drive down Sycamore road and check out all the strip malls with empty spaces or be here long enough to see businesses (Barnes & Noble, Pennys, Sears, Johnny's, JoAnn Fabrics, etc.) come and go because of excessive rent and little traffic. Just because you're convinced if you build it, they will come, doesn't mean it's true for DeKalb. Not in favor of a dilapidated building, a vast empty lot, or unused strip malls, all of which is what is left after these developers decide they can't make money off the town and NIU.
Ask Jim Mason or some of the other local landlords that support and have supported Huskie athletics for years what they think of developers from Rockford ala Pappas, Shodeen, etc.
The point, which you guys seem to conveniently ignore, is that actions affect both sides. DeKalb needs to do a better job of considering what its actions do to the university and the opposite is also true. This may sound great to you guys because you're assuming it will help athletics, but talk to some of the local businesses and find out how they feel some university and athletic decisions adversely affect them.
While I could care less that NIUfilmmaker blocked me because I didn't want to rename the university, there's an obvious irony in his choosing to block a contrary opinion similar to the way he mocks Penn State for ignoring those who spoke out about a Penn State cover-up.

You must be clueless or don't fact check yourself. Pappas is from DeKalb and has always tried to grow the community with his developments. His projects in sycamore are very popular and are fully rented by good tenants. He doesn't need to continue to invest here but he has. You mention Mason but he has turned into part of the problem here. He rents to families in apartment building that are designed for college students. That isn't fair to students and drives them out. The downtown building already has tenants for the businesses and will attract more growth to downtown. DeKalb has to grow out of the problems and blocking progress will only further ruin the town.

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - uiniu57 - 03-03-2017 04:23 PM

(03-03-2017 03:43 PM)Dtownboys Wrote:  The downtown building already has tenants for the businesses and will attract more growth to downtown.
How do you know that location already has businesses committed to a building that is years off and who are these businesses? If you're assuming the current stores will remain, that will depend on the rent and if it's the same places staying, that's not exactly making downtown more attractive.
If the prospect of a new building will automatically attract more growth, how come nothing has happened in that vast empty space up the street? Contrary to what so many of you assume, I'm not anti-growth, anti-development or opposed to new businesses, but it's getting old seeing money being spent or tax breaks given for efforts that can't be sustained. Sorry, but not all of Pappas' strip-mall style spaces are occupied on Sycamore Road, and the fact DeKalb was among the locations some companies chose to include among store closures doesn't make it any more acceptable. There's a huge new 3M logistics center in the city's Park 88 industrial area, but there are still other large warehouse-type structures that are not that old, but now empty. At some point, the city needs tax revenue from companies before they skip town prior to when their TIFs run out.
White flag, sincerely hope all you guys are right and a revitalized downtown DeKalb is in the future.

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - HuskieJohn - 03-07-2017 10:18 AM

Because the developer refuses to be in accordance with the cities code for parking space per unit for the combined apartment and hotel...

The developer has not offered to come up with a solution...like removing 1 floor from the 4 story project which would bring the number of parking spots per unit closer to what is required by the city...even though that modification would still not meet the requirement.

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - DeKalb57 - 03-07-2017 11:54 AM

(03-07-2017 10:18 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

Because the developer refuses to be in accordance with the cities code for parking space per unit for the combined apartment and hotel...

The developer has not offered to come up with a solution...like removing 1 floor from the 4 story project which would bring the number of parking spots per unit closer to what is required by the city...even though that modification would still not meet the requirement.
Comparing these projects is a bit dangerous. Pappas IS a DeKalb Product and, has had many successful ventures (in DeKalb), projects that have benefited DeKalb. Shodeen - not so much (or at all).

Parking - This is a bit "chicken and egg-ish" (for any prospective Downtown development). Sure, the burden can be placed on the prospective project(s). Which will lead to only the VERY best passing the muster. A burden of the responsibility rests squarely with the City (City Staff and Council). It is a fact that the City has done little to improve the Parking situation. How many 1 level Parking Lots are there downtown? In my business, failure to "use our cube" is a failure to the business.

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - SiegInc - 03-07-2017 01:22 PM

Cool. And how long after its built will they start accepting section 8 vouchers or get subsidized by HUD to accept low income tenants?

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - DeKalb57 - 03-07-2017 03:56 PM

(03-07-2017 01:22 PM)SiegInc Wrote:  Cool. And how long after its built will they start accepting section 8 vouchers or get subsidized by HUD to accept low income tenants?
Do you have a voucher you are looking to "port"?

RE: New Construction Downtown Dekalb - HuskiesCHI27 - 03-07-2017 04:35 PM

Haha Section 8 in DeKalb is such a joke. Ruined the school.