CSNbbs
Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss (/thread-810033.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - JRsec - 02-22-2017 05:39 PM

It's a long list of some fairly hefty allegations but the headliner is an allegation of lack of institutional control.

RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - MplsBison - 02-22-2017 05:42 PM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18743461/ole-miss-rebels-self-impose-1-year-postseason-ban-2017

Quote:Ole Miss officials announced Wednesday that they are self-imposing a one-year bowl ban for the 2017 season after receiving a new NCAA notice of allegations that detailed eight additional allegations of rules violations.

The NCAA has now accused Ole Miss of 21 rules violations by current or former members of its football coaching staff.

Ole Miss had self-imposed a double-digit reduction in scholarships for football in May 2016, as part of its response to an NCAA notice of allegations it received in January 2016.

In a 154-page response to the NCAA, Ole Miss announced that it had self-imposed the loss of 11 total scholarships in football over a four-year period from 2015 to '18, including a reduction of three initial scholarships in each of its next three recruiting classes, which would allow the school to sign a maximum of 22 players in each class.

RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - MplsBison - 02-22-2017 05:43 PM

What's the Ultra-Cliff Notes version of this whole thing?

Ole Miss did a bunch of cheating the NCAA rules for recruiting football players?

No criminal stuff, though, correct?

RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - MplsBison - 02-22-2017 05:44 PM

(02-22-2017 05:39 PM)JRsec Wrote:  allegation of lack of institutional control.

Sounds like a made up blanket term letting the NCAA arbitrarily determine violations and punishments, as it pleases.

Sue them, then. Worked for Penn St.

RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - JRsec - 02-22-2017 05:46 PM

(02-22-2017 05:43 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  What's the Ultra-Cliff Notes version of this whole thing?

Ole Miss did a bunch of cheating the NCAA rules for recruiting football players?

No criminal stuff, though, correct?

Nothing criminal in the way of assaults or such. The question with payola is always were there tax code violations which could technically be a crime. But overall I would say your classification is accurate.

RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - JRsec - 02-22-2017 05:55 PM

(02-22-2017 05:44 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  

Sounds like a made up blanket term letting the NCAA arbitrarily determine violations and punishments, as it pleases.

No. The allegations phase of an investigation simply formalizes the areas to be determined for any subsequent charges against the school. In this phase Ole Miss will cooperate with the lesser charges and accept them, deny the lack of institutional control allegation (which does provoke a larger turnover of information by Ole Miss and therefore gives the NCAA a clearer access to administrative oversight issues) and from this negotiation when the charges are finally leveled, punishment can follow.

So right now they enter a dialogue with the NCAA in which they will quickly settle on some allegations, deny others, and seek a compromise (plea bargain) position.

The allegation of lack of institutional control merely means they will have to settle on a lot more in order to defend against that charge, and they will have to give the NCAA a much greater look into their program.

That said, I'm fine with all of this and it's fair. But it's fair only inasmuch as the same happens at Chapel Hill with regards to bogus classes, billed through the bursar's office, recorded by the records office, complete with falsified signatures of instructors who were on the payroll of the University. It's fair if the textbook definition of lack of institutional control is actually investigated and adjudicated at Chapel Hill.

And by the way if any of those classes were paid for with government money, or paid for by actual students unrelated to the athletic department then of course there are criminal charges that are possible there for fraud.

RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - shere khan - 02-22-2017 06:27 PM

He dared me man. He dared me. [Image: 812625.jpg]

RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - shere khan - 02-22-2017 06:30 PM

https://youtu.be/C4Wx98rd2C8

RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - bullet - 02-22-2017 07:38 PM

(02-22-2017 05:55 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

No. The allegations phase of an investigation simply formalizes the areas to be determined for any subsequent charges against the school. In this phase Ole Miss will cooperate with the lesser charges and accept them, deny the lack of institutional control allegation (which does provoke a larger turnover of information by Ole Miss and therefore gives the NCAA a clearer access to administrative oversight issues) and from this negotiation when the charges are finally leveled, punishment can follow.

So right now they enter a dialogue with the NCAA in which they will quickly settle on some allegations, deny others, and seek a compromise (plea bargain) position.

The allegation of lack of institutional control merely means they will have to settle on a lot more in order to defend against that charge, and they will have to give the NCAA a much greater look into their program.

That said, I'm fine with all of this and it's fair. But it's fair only inasmuch as the same happens at Chapel Hill with regards to bogus classes, billed through the bursar's office, recorded by the records office, complete with falsified signatures of instructors who were on the payroll of the University. It's fair if the textbook definition of lack of institutional control is actually investigated and adjudicated at Chapel Hill.

And by the way if any of those classes were paid for with government money, or paid for by actual students unrelated to the athletic department then of course there are criminal charges that are possible there for fraud.

So who do you think turned them in? A Big 12 school? The SEC has sworn to protect each other. (or Dabo and Clemson?)

RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - shere khan - 02-22-2017 07:43 PM

(02-22-2017 07:38 PM)bullet Wrote:  

So who do you think turned them in? A Big 12 school? The SEC has sworn to protect each other. (or Dabo and Clemson?)
Miss State...plus I think they got caught incidentally with the La Lafayette investigation. I think it was Lafayette, don't jump in me if it was one of the other Louisiana schools.

RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - JRsec - 02-22-2017 08:37 PM

(02-22-2017 07:43 PM)shere khan Wrote:  
(02-22-2017 07:38 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Miss State...plus I think they got caught incidentally with the La Lafayette investigation. I think it was Lafayette, don't jump in me if it was one of the other Louisiana schools.

Well.........it certainly doesn't take a major stool pigeon when your recruits post Facebook pictures of each other waiving a hand full of 100 dollar bills to the nation.

Justice may be blind, but she's not stupid!

RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - p23570 - 02-22-2017 10:09 PM

We always knew there were some things going on at ole Piss. Hopefully the bag man is getting shut down but I think he just moved to LSU.

I look forward to hearing the stories as they come out.

RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - JRsec - 02-22-2017 10:20 PM

(02-22-2017 10:09 PM)p23570 Wrote:  We always knew there were some things going on at ole Piss. Hopefully the bag man is getting shut down but I think he just moved to LSU.

I look forward to hearing the stories as they come out.

There's no bag man at L.S.U.. They have a whole state legislature behind them. Where do you think Saban honed his craft? Under now NCAA president Mark Emmert who was then the top man at L.S.U.. Since Ole Miss is a rival of both L.S.U. and Alabama and Emmert is now the Dark Lord of the NCAA, I say good luck there Hugh! Hotty Toddy better hide the silver flatware that bedecks the grove for tailgating because the carpetbaggers are coming. And in this case Mullen, whether the stool pigeon or not, is about to benefit in a major way.

RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - Love and Honor - 02-22-2017 10:21 PM

Sorry Southern Miss, you're gonna get it now...

In all seriousness, it doesn't take Nostradamus to guess that this kind of thing was on the horizon for Ole Miss.

RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - Nittany_Bearcat - 02-22-2017 11:33 PM

(02-22-2017 05:44 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  Sue them, then. Worked for Penn St.

Penn State never sued the NCAA. What are you talking about?

RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - Tom in Lazybrook - 02-23-2017 12:10 AM

No idea about the allegations, but as a fan of the team that starts next season at Ole Miss....I'm a bit intrigued by this.

RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - Hokie4Skins - 02-23-2017 07:41 AM

Everyone knew this was coming when they signed that #1 class a few years back.

Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - JHS55 - 02-23-2017 07:56 AM

Transfers abound, I hope some of houstons home grown talent comes home

RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - Carolina_Low_Country - 02-23-2017 08:38 AM

Just curious...
I know there was a bag man story a few years ago talking about bag men in the SEC. But what made Ole Miss get the #1 class if they were already doing that? Did they start giving more money, just curious, no facts just want to know some far out opinion. Was it Freeze + the money? Just seemed like a big leap, but not surprising since Ole Miss is actually a big party school with good looking girls who plays in the SEC so overall it is not shocking that players want to play there.

RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss - MplsBison - 02-23-2017 11:47 AM

(02-22-2017 11:33 PM)Nittany_Bearcat Wrote:  Penn State never sued the NCAA. What are you talking about?

The state did, and won. Which is correct as the NCAA had no grounds to extract such a monetary penalty on the school as it tried to do.

But to keep it on track here, it doesn't look like (at least so far) that the NCAA is trying to extract any excessive fine or penalties. Ole Miss already self imposing scholarship reductions and a bowl ban next season.