CSNbbs
CFP money how important is it? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: CFP money how important is it? (/thread-809785.html)

CFP money how important is it? - MJG - 02-20-2017 04:17 PM

One thing you constantly read on here is NMSU or U Mass won't make it without CFP MONEY.
Also no school will attempt to join Liberty and move up as an independent without CFP MONEY.
A lot of schools have made the move in the past when CFP money didn't exist and built up their programs.

Look at ULL and Ark St until a few years ago neither has played in a bowl game.
Their budgets were low and they were perennial losers. Now both have dramatically changed their situation.
They have won consistently and made huge facilities improvements. I see no reason to think other schools with the right leadership couldn't do the same.

Another thought is the CFP is only 12 years . The next contract could give independent programs equal or half shares or exclude the G5 entirely. Twelve years without a G5 participant is a good argument against paying them.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: CFP money how important is it? - cleburneslim - 02-20-2017 06:37 PM

(02-20-2017 04:17 PM)MJG Wrote:  One thing you constantly read on here is NMSU or U Mass won't make it without CFP MONEY.
Also no school will attempt to join Liberty and move up as an independent without CFP MONEY.
A lot of schools have made the move in the past when CFP money didn't exist and built up their programs.

Their budgets were low and they were perennial losers. Now both have dramatically changed their situation.
They have won consistently and made huge facilities improvements. I see no reason to think other schools with the right leadership couldn't do the same.

Another thought is the CFP is only 12 years . The next contract could give independent programs equal or half shares or exclude the G5 entirely. Twelve years without a G5 participant is a good argument against paying them.

absolutely the p5 could and may well take theyre money and leave. Autonomy could easily have just been a stop gap measure to allow time for a split from the ncaa.

RE: CFP money how important is it? - MJG - 02-20-2017 07:05 PM

I don't think they have to split just negotiate a new contract .
Guarantee the P5 conferences their share and make the rest performance based. The easiest way would be a P4 and make the league winners automatic playoff participants. Basically now you have six shares 5 P5 one for the G5. Keep the five and make the sixth performance based. So a G5 could theoretically make the playoffs and get a 1/6th share for their conference. The one sixth share could go to the winning conference if no G5 . Which there won't be it's just the illusion of access like now.

RE: CFP money how important is it? - billybobby777 - 02-20-2017 07:39 PM

[quote='MJG' pid='14107212' dateline='1487625444']
One thing you constantly read on here is NMSU or U Mass won't make it without CFP MONEY.

The next contract "could" give Independents....After 10 more years that could happen. Doubt it, but it could.

Cheers!

RE: CFP money how important is it? - hawghiggs - 02-20-2017 08:39 PM

What needs to happen is the development of late season tournaments for football. Imagine the Cotton Bowl hosting a Big 12 team, an SEC team, a AAC team, and the CUSA champion. This would make these bowl games relevant again.

RE: CFP money how important is it? - msm96wolf - 02-20-2017 09:46 PM

(02-20-2017 08:39 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  What needs to happen is the development of late season tournaments for football. Imagine the Cotton Bowl hosting a Big 12 team, an SEC team, a AAC team, and the CUSA champion. This would make these bowl games relevant again.

2015-16 the other two independents will share $618,241. I would not be shocked if that is what Liberty, UMASS and NMSU may get since it is a drop in the bucket to the CFP. Worst case, 500k for the Independents. Still have not seen anything confirming if CFP money is or is not coming to Liberty.