CSNbbs
Head coach Jones - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Head coach Jones (/thread-808716.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Head coach Jones - mac - 02-11-2017 07:15 AM

Was reading on another thread where our friend Razor mentioned that Jeff Jones promised a fast style of play when he was hired. Didn't remember that myself so I went back and read up a little. This is interesting to go back now after a few years.

http://www.maceandcrown.com/2013/04/24/the-reconstruction-project-a-one-on-one-chat-with-new-head-coach-jeff-jones/

http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/odu-hires-jeff-jones-as-next-men-s-basketball-coach/article_052ad4eb-a4d5-5ca4-95d5-03fa6323f66f.html

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dailypress.com/sports/colleges/dp-spt-teel-column-odu-coach-20130404-column,amp.html?client=safari

http://www.baltimoresun.com/75211848-157.html

http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/odu-s-jeff-jones-era-begins---despite-grumblings/article_4f63487c-3281-5adb-a608-91e30b247887.html

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-odu-jeff-jones-story,amp.html?client=safari

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/colleges/jeff-jones-thriving-in-fresh-start-with-old-dominion-basketball/2015/01/16/4e7c4eec-9d80-11e4-96cc-e858eba91ced_story.html?client=safari

http
http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/cost-to-rebuild-odu-basketball-a-year/article_c4d5b9ec-1467-5560-a36e-ec56c616b77d.html

RE: Head coach Jones - bit_9 - 02-11-2017 08:16 AM

First article had some timely quotes

Posted from mobile device. Hopefully it's coherent.

RE: Head coach Jones - MonarchsWon - 02-11-2017 12:02 PM

Random observation but I'd like to see JJ and his assistants and his players smile for once and show some enthusiasm.
I'd like to see JJ encourage a bit and show some pleasure in the players. They now look like a bunch of beat dogs.
I don't ever remember seeing a more miserable looking bench of coaches in my almost 30 years of watching ODU Hoops.
I don't ever remember seeing a more miserable looking roster of players in that time as well.
They just all look like beat dogs with no joy for the game. No joy for each other. No joy for the team itself.
It's a collection of misery that I think is manifesting itself with awful shooting performances.
There seems to be no mutual support for each other. Shots are being taken with fear and timidity many times.
It's not a good environment from outward appearances and we desperately lack leadership on the court as has been mentioned.
Again, I think that comes from a lack of chemistry or "joy" for the team and the game.

RE: Head coach Jones - ODUalum78 - 02-11-2017 12:14 PM

(02-11-2017 12:02 PM)MonarchsWon Wrote:  Random observation but I'd like to see JJ and his assistants and his players smile for once and show some enthusiasm.
I'd like to see JJ encourage a bit and show some pleasure in the players. They now look like a bunch of beat dogs.
I don't ever remember seeing a more miserable looking bench of coaches in my almost 30 years of watching ODU Hoops.
I don't ever remember seeing a more miserable looking roster of players in that time as well.
They just all look like beat dogs with no joy for the game. No joy for each other. No joy for the team itself.
It's a collection of misery that I think is manifesting itself with awful shooting performances.
There seems to be no mutual support for each other. Shots are being taken with fear and timidity many times.
It's not a good environment from outward appearances and we desperately lack leadership on the court as has been mentioned.
Again, I think that comes from a lack of chemistry or "joy" for the team and the game.

That is certainly my take as well.

Head coach Jones - Big Bluezilla - 02-11-2017 12:32 PM

You know what's fun and makes people smile? Winning. This is a classic case of the chicken or the egg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Head coach Jones - odu83alumni - 02-11-2017 01:02 PM

Jeremiah was a bull frog.

RE: Head coach Jones - FantomVII - 02-11-2017 02:43 PM

Was a good friend of mine.

RE: Head coach Jones - Monarchblue - 02-11-2017 03:37 PM

(02-11-2017 12:32 PM)Big Bluezilla Wrote:  You know what's fun and makes people smile? Winning. This is a classic case of the chicken or the egg.

I don't think it's that at all. Our players and our coaches reflect the personality of our head coach.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RE: Head coach Jones - ODUalum78 - 02-11-2017 03:56 PM

(02-11-2017 03:37 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 12:32 PM)Big Bluezilla Wrote:  You know what's fun and makes people smile? Winning. This is a classic case of the chicken or the egg.

I don't think it's that at all. Our players and our coaches reflect the personality of our head coach.

Agreed.
However;
BW can be tough but is still positive and supportive of his players even when we lose.
Dick Tarrant here in Richmond, John Wooden, and Pete Carroll were/are of that same temperament, as was Paul Webb.
In the very short term, a hardass-only coach can whip players into shape and win for a couple of seasons.

In the long term, the best coaches (even the disciplinarians like Coach K and Bobby Knight) are those whom the players WANT to play hard for out of love and respect. The short term hardass loses his kids fairly early.

I have no way of knowing if this is the case with JJ, but these kids look like (as someone else noted) beaten dogs to me and IMHO did last year as well.
We were fortunate to have Freeman.
Otherwise....
07-coffee3

RE: Head coach Jones - Mo Blue Den You - 02-11-2017 05:46 PM

Jeff Jones is shitting the bed and there's no easy way to say it.

RE: Head coach Jones - monarx - 02-11-2017 06:28 PM

"At first glance, Jones would not appear to match ODU's goal, expressed at the beginning of the search, of hiring a coach who favors a fast-paced style. American ranked 335th of 345 Division I teams in points per game this past season, averaging 57.8."

Gotta say it looks like Jones is doing the exact same thing at ODU that he did at American. Average, boring basketball that isn't quite bad enough to get one fired, but not good enough. ODU is supposed to be right there with VCU, Creighton, Xavier, St. Joes, UAB, South Florida, George Washington and the like. Seems like we are getting closer and closer to being the second coming of AU rather than Gonzaga.

RE: Head coach Jones - Petey Hodge - 02-11-2017 06:44 PM

(02-11-2017 12:02 PM)MonarchsWon Wrote:  Random observation but I'd like to see JJ and his assistants and his players smile for once and show some enthusiasm.

Do you reckon our coach is like this with the players?

[Image: tumblr_oiccjqTdiF1rszoo3o6_r2_540.gif]

RE: Head coach Jones - Petey Hodge - 02-11-2017 06:46 PM

Or do we need a coach like this?

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Head coach Jones - Maryland Monarch - 02-11-2017 07:52 PM

There is a time for a kick in the pants, and a time for an arm around the shoulder. JJ approaches every situation as if it were a nail and his only tool is a hammer.

The only thing I've ever seen from him on the sideline is a scowl, a red face, a bunch of coughs and a giant "mammal toe" in his too tight khakis.

I give him next year to improve. If not, adios muchacho.

RE: Head coach Jones - ODU AGGIE - 02-11-2017 10:14 PM

If the players are a reflection of the coach, right now JJ is looking pretty damn good. Hell of a win in Bartow Arena tonight.

RE: Head coach Jones - Memphis Blazer - 02-11-2017 10:39 PM

fifth worst loss ever in Bartow Arena. Congratulations.

RE: Head coach Jones - Monarchblue - 02-11-2017 10:45 PM

(02-11-2017 10:14 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  If the players are a reflection of the coach, right now JJ is looking pretty damn good. Hell of a win in Bartow Arena tonight.
They played well tonight, but seriously?

RE: Head coach Jones - ODU BBALL - 02-11-2017 11:12 PM

(02-11-2017 10:39 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  fifth worst loss ever in Bartow Arena. Congratulations.

And the first win there by an ODU Men's Basketball team since 1985 when both teams were playing in the Sun Belt Conference. That was Paul Webb (ODU Coach) against Gene Bartow (UAB Coach). At least I think Bartow was still coaching there at the time.

RE: Head coach Jones - 757ODU - 02-12-2017 01:38 AM

(02-11-2017 10:45 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 10:14 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  If the players are a reflection of the coach, right now JJ is looking pretty damn good. Hell of a win in Bartow Arena tonight.
They played well tonight, but seriously?

I've always thought of his weakness as being a motivator. He clearly motivated tonight.

RE: Head coach Jones - blewbyu - 02-12-2017 07:09 AM

I was surprised at how well we played last night. Guess what. So was everybody including JJ. Two things happened that set up the game .Caver came out and carried us with a tremendous first half. Secondly,Taylor got 2 quick fouls. Somehow, this led to JJ playing Caver,Stith,Porter,Stith,and Talley together About time! SIT BAKER AND TAYLOR DOWN. Let's score some points for a change.