CSNbbs
2018 Official Verbal Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: 2018 Official Verbal Thread (/thread-808169.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: 2018 Official Verbal Thread - HuskiePride12 - 12-11-2017 11:03 PM

(12-11-2017 10:09 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  
(12-11-2017 08:28 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  
(12-11-2017 07:21 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  CJ Perez just committed. He looks beastly.

https://twitter.com/wankey_biscuits

Nice, he had some good CUSA offers as well

Looks athletic,swings hips well....Looks ready to play now if physically strong enough

Makes sense since Shivley will be a senior next year. Will give him a chance to put on some more weight and learn the system

RE: 2018 Official Verbal Thread - NIUTrekker - 12-12-2017 06:10 AM

(12-11-2017 11:03 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  
(12-11-2017 10:09 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  
(12-11-2017 08:28 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  
(12-11-2017 07:21 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  CJ Perez just committed. He looks beastly.

https://twitter.com/wankey_biscuits

Nice, he had some good CUSA offers as well

Looks athletic,swings hips well....Looks ready to play now if physically strong enough

Makes sense since Shivley will be a senior next year. Will give him a chance to put on some more weight and learn the system
He's a JUCO product so should be ready to play right away.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: 2018 Official Verbal Thread - Suptroop - 12-12-2017 09:13 AM

I’m sure they’re going to redshirt him. No reason not to. If you look at the roster there doesn’t seem to be a good replacement at center in the near future. This way he walks into a golden opportunity for 2019.

I’m glad they went after an agile center. Shively’s really the only center we’ve had here that’s not a great pulling option.

2018 Official Verbal Thread - NIU32 - 12-12-2017 09:18 AM

(12-12-2017 09:13 AM)Suptroop Wrote:  I’m sure they’re going to redshirt him. No reason not to. If you look at the roster there doesn’t seem to be a good replacement at center in the near future. This way he walks into a golden opportunity for 2019.

I’m glad they went after an agile center. Shively’s really the only center we’ve had here that’s not a great pulling option.

Suptroop - you obviously know best when it comes to offensive lineman. Have you had a chance to watch tape on any of our other commits at OL? What are your thoughts on them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RE: 2018 Official Verbal Thread - RitzHuskie - 12-12-2017 09:26 AM

Our lead post on this thread desperately needs to be updated with all the action on here lately. Probably reupdated after December 22 when we know who has signed vs. those who haven't.

RE: 2018 Official Verbal Thread - NIU32 - 12-12-2017 09:39 AM

(12-12-2017 09:26 AM)RitzHuskie Wrote:  Our lead post on this thread desperately needs to be updated with all the action on here lately. Probably reupdated after December 22 when we know who has signed vs. those who haven't.

yup, my bad, been crazy with work. I'll update after Dec 20th signing day, that was my plan

RE: 2018 Official Verbal Thread - Suptroop - 12-12-2017 10:25 AM

(12-12-2017 09:18 AM)NIU32 Wrote:  
(12-12-2017 09:13 AM)Suptroop Wrote:  I’m sure they’re going to redshirt him. No reason not to. If you look at the roster there doesn’t seem to be a good replacement at center in the near future. This way he walks into a golden opportunity for 2019.

Suptroop - you obviously know best when it comes to offensive lineman. Have you had a chance to watch tape on any of our other commits at OL? What are your thoughts on them?

Well it’s been a while now since I’ve played but some things as an offensive lineman you will always appreciate. So far we have Porter, Cox Perez and I’m really thinking Dehaan will be transitioned to a tackle. I believe this group has the most upside of any oline class we’ve ever recruited. The recipe has been the same stemming back from The Novak days. Recruit athletes and develop them in strength, size and technique.

Porter is a little raw but his athleticism is fantastic. He’ll need two years to build up his strenth and develope a bit more aggression particularly one on one blocking. He reminds me a bit of Tyler Loos although might need an extra year before he’s a dominant player.

Dehaan doesn’t have any particularly rare quality other than he’s got a good frame, feet and has plenty room to grow. Maybe a Trevor Olson type player in the future if he is in fact moved to the line. This is just a guess.

Cox is likely the most complete player. He’s got athleticism, size and a bit more of a mauler mentality. I can see him playing any position on the line just to have the best players in before finally settling in at tackle. Much like how Max played at guard before settling in at tackle. Gonna be an all-mac type player.

IMO Perez is the most interesting lineman we picked up. I’m thinking he will have four years to play three if not mistaking. His biggest knock is his size. Probably closer to 601 270 but Jesus is the kid quick. I can say with all confidence we’ve never recruited a kid with his feet. And he’s ALL lower body which is exactly what you want at center. He doesn’t have to plow through the line during one on one blocks. That’s why’s it’s important to have good thick guards. He simply needs to get in position to essentially “be in the way” without giving up ground. The thing that made Brian Vanacher good was his ability to be pulled like a guard. That was when it was uncommon to routinely pull the center. Then Eddie Adamski came in and took pulling to a whole new level for our offense. Then After Wedige it seemed like we didn’t have the centers to really be proficient. A center that can pull on outside leads is a huge weapon which this kid gives back in our favor. Give him a redshirt to master the offense and build up a bit more size and he will be the oline leader in 2019.

Overall I think our recruiting has been on point particularly on the line. They’ve been doing a good job of spreading out the classes so we don’t end up with five new lineman on any given year. I’d like to see them pick up one more stout interior guy to finish off the group. But like most on this board at very excited to see these kids on campus.

RE: 2018 Official Verbal Thread - Suptroop - 12-12-2017 10:29 AM

Perez is my 2018 Weston Kramer pick.

2018 Official Verbal Thread - NIU32 - 12-12-2017 12:55 PM

(12-12-2017 10:25 AM)Suptroop Wrote:  
(12-12-2017 09:18 AM)NIU32 Wrote:  

Well it’s been a while now since I’ve played but some things as an offensive lineman you will always appreciate. So far we have Porter, Cox Perez and I’m really thinking Dehaan will be transitioned to a tackle. I believe this group has the most upside of any oline class we’ve ever recruited. The recipe has been the same stemming back from The Novak days. Recruit athletes and develop them in strength, size and technique.

Porter is a little raw but his athleticism is fantastic. He’ll need two years to build up his strenth and develope a bit more aggression particularly one on one blocking. He reminds me a bit of Tyler Loos although might need an extra year before he’s a dominant player.

Dehaan doesn’t have any particularly rare quality other than he’s got a good frame, feet and has plenty room to grow. Maybe a Trevor Olson type player in the future if he is in fact moved to the line. This is just a guess.

Cox is likely the most complete player. He’s got athleticism, size and a bit more of a mauler mentality. I can see him playing any position on the line just to have the best players in before finally settling in at tackle. Much like how Max played at guard before settling in at tackle. Gonna be an all-mac type player.

IMO Perez is the most interesting lineman we picked up. I’m thinking he will have four years to play three if not mistaking. His biggest knock is his size. Probably closer to 601 270 but Jesus is the kid quick. I can say with all confidence we’ve never recruited a kid with his feet. And he’s ALL lower body which is exactly what you want at center. He doesn’t have to plow through the line during one on one blocks. That’s why’s it’s important to have good thick guards. He simply needs to get in position to essentially “be in the way” without giving up ground. The thing that made Brian Vanacher good was his ability to be pulled like a guard. That was when it was uncommon to routinely pull the center. Then Eddie Adamski came in and took pulling to a whole new level for our offense. Then After Wedige it seemed like we didn’t have the centers to really be proficient. A center that can pull on outside leads is a huge weapon which this kid gives back in our favor. Give him a redshirt to master the offense and build up a bit more size and he will be the oline leader in 2019.

Overall I think our recruiting has been on point particularly on the line. They’ve been doing a good job of spreading out the classes so we don’t end up with five new lineman on any given year. I’d like to see them pick up one more stout interior guy to finish off the group. But like most on this board at very excited to see these kids on campus.

Great analysis, thanks!

2018 Official Verbal Thread - NIU32 - 12-12-2017 06:47 PM

Carey just tweeted that we got another big time in-state commitment. Rice and Knowles liked it which makes me think it could be on defense. Best guess would be Antwan Walker, the Illini decommit that visited last weekend

RE: 2018 Official Verbal Thread - BDB5yp - 12-12-2017 06:51 PM

(12-12-2017 06:47 PM)NIU32 Wrote:  Carey just tweeted that we got another big time in-state commitment. Rice and Knowles liked it which makes me think it could be on defense. Best guess would be Antwan Walker, the Illini decommit that visited last weekend

That would be a nice pick up!

RE: 2018 Official Verbal Thread - HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN - 12-12-2017 07:07 PM

In the spirit of the new found positivity,

this recruiting class appears to be one of the best ever!! COGS

RE: 2018 Official Verbal Thread - UIHuskie - 12-12-2017 08:44 PM

(12-12-2017 06:47 PM)NIU32 Wrote:  Carey just tweeted that we got another big time in-state commitment. Rice and Knowles liked it which makes me think it could be on defense. Best guess would be Antwan Walker, the Illini decommit that visited last weekend

I’m pretty sure it’s Walker, I had heard over the weekend that it was pretty likely NIU would close on that recruitment during the visit.

RE: 2018 Official Verbal Thread - DogPoundNorth - 12-12-2017 09:49 PM

(12-12-2017 08:44 PM)UIHuskie Wrote:  

I’m pretty sure it’s Walker, I had heard over the weekend that it was pretty likely NIU would close on that recruitment during the visit.

Jesus, Carey is crushing it this year

RE: 2018 Official Verbal Thread - NIU05 - 12-12-2017 11:41 PM

DogPound , he definitely is crushing it. Looks like playmakers heading to deKalb. Don't know who will be the * , but I do like the kid from Danville.

This class combined with last year's appears to be quite the coup. Defense strong.

RE: 2018 Official Verbal Thread - epasnoopy - 12-13-2017 06:27 AM

Dual threat QB Jryan Mitchell from Rich Central.

All Conference
Daily Southtown All Area
Southland Athletic Conference Co-Offensive Player of the Year
[attachment=9251]

2018 Official Verbal Thread - NIU32 - 12-13-2017 07:04 AM

Now I’m thinking it was Nick Calcagano, the WR/LB from Naperville North based on the fact that his dad liked Carey’s post as well as Naperville North baseball twitter handle. Ha i think that’s pretty much a dead giveaway

RE: 2018 Official Verbal Thread - Teamduh - 12-13-2017 09:38 AM

(12-12-2017 07:07 PM)HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Wrote:  In the spirit of the new found positivity,

this recruiting class appears to be one of the best ever!! COGS
And picking up steam at the finish!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RE: 2018 Official Verbal Thread - JoeNovak - 12-13-2017 11:07 AM

(12-13-2017 07:04 AM)NIU32 Wrote:  

Now I’m thinking it was Nick Calcagano, the WR/LB from Naperville North based on the fact that his dad liked Carey’s post as well as Naperville North baseball twitter handle. Ha i think that’s pretty much a dead giveaway

For what it’s worth, 24/7 has Antwain Walker 100% prediction signing with NIU

RE: 2018 Official Verbal Thread - Teamduh - 12-13-2017 05:51 PM

(12-13-2017 07:04 AM)NIU32 Wrote:  

Nick fell off the state rankings. I recall him being in top 50 earlier. These things are fickle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk