CSNbbs
Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class (/thread-807744.html)

Pages: 1 2

Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - DiehardHuskie - 02-02-2017 03:03 PM

Regardless of who takes the first snap of the 2017 season, Hall appears to be the quarterback of the future. Carey stopped just short of saying so himself.

"He's only been on campus three weeks, and he's already positioning himself at some point to be a leader on this team," Carey said. "That's three weeks in. That's impressive. I'm really excited about the future with him."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-rodney-hall-northern-illinois-signing-day-spt-0202-20170201-story.html

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - BDB5yp - 02-02-2017 03:40 PM

(02-02-2017 03:03 PM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  Regardless of who takes the first snap of the 2017 season, Hall appears to be the quarterback of the future. Carey stopped just short of saying so himself.

"He's only been on campus three weeks, and he's already positioning himself at some point to be a leader on this team," Carey said. "That's three weeks in. That's impressive. I'm really excited about the future with him."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-rodney-hall-northern-illinois-signing-day-spt-0202-20170201-story.html

Leadership has definitely been missing since the Lynch Era. If that's a trait he brings, even better.

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - 7 - 02-02-2017 04:21 PM

(02-02-2017 03:40 PM)BDB5yp Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 03:03 PM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  Regardless of who takes the first snap of the 2017 season, Hall appears to be the quarterback of the future. Carey stopped just short of saying so himself.

Leadership has definitely been missing since the Lynch Era. If that's a trait he brings, even better.

Care to provide an example of poor leadership?

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - RedandBlackAttack - 02-02-2017 04:39 PM

(02-02-2017 04:21 PM)7 Wrote:  

I agree with BDB5yp. There may not be any obvious instances of the lack of leadership on the team that we can see with our own eyes but, there does appear to be some sort of discontent with the team. There does not appear to be any players holding others accountable on the field, especially on defense.

On the teams from 2010-2013, we had guys like Bishop/Schiller/Ward/Durante/Logan/Mays/Melvin/etc on the field screaming and holding other guys accountable on the field. Last year everyone seemed to be playing for themselves and not for the team as a whole.

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - BDB5yp - 02-02-2017 04:48 PM

(02-02-2017 04:39 PM)RedandBlackAttack Wrote:  

I agree with BDB5yp. There may not be any obvious instances of the lack of leadership on the team that we can see with our own eyes but, there does appear to be some sort of discontent with the team. There does not appear to be any players holding others accountable on the field, especially on defense.

On the teams from 2010-2013, we had guys like Bishop/Schiller/Ward/Durante/Logan/Mays/Melvin/etc on the field screaming and holding other guys accountable on the field. Last year everyone seemed to be playing for themselves and not for the team as a whole.

To piggyback of what RedandBlackAttack said..... It's not like the coaches haven't tried. They've implemented these leadership group competitions to try and get guys to take ownership, but it hasn't made them a better team. It's kind of nice when players want to lead versus being made a leader. I'd love to see guys like Huff act like they care more about their team as much as they care about their stats.

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - 7 - 02-02-2017 05:37 PM

I'm not gonna get into this, but there's no way to prove anything you just said. The team fell off because of (mostly) QB injuries/bad QB play. Nothing more, nothing less.

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - Teamduh - 02-02-2017 06:10 PM

(02-02-2017 05:37 PM)7 Wrote:  I'm not gonna get into this, but there's no way to prove anything you just said. The team fell off because of (mostly) QB injuries/bad QB play. Nothing more, nothing less.
I agree 7. The other poster's comments were opinion not fact. But i would say it is how he-she feels and that is what is important.

Also I don't know how yelling at people makes them accountable. I think people want to be accountable because they love the game. Yelling during game may not be an effective motivator for all, in fact for some may lessen their impact. The days of bobby knight coaching style is out. Take a look at pj and his success. He motivated by providing vision and asking his team to join him in this journey, to row the boat together. Corny, sure, but it worked.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - 7 - 02-02-2017 06:32 PM

I also don't think there's any evidence that any of the guys listed were great leaders or ever yelled at teammates. NIU was good with Lynch and Harnish because they were really good. NIU beat Toledo and WMU in 2015 with, in essence, their 4th string QB. I think the leadership and work ethic on that team was more than fine.

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - prairiedawg - 02-02-2017 06:40 PM

[Image: JT.jpg?resize=360%2C220]

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - 7 - 02-02-2017 06:42 PM

(02-02-2017 06:40 PM)prairiedawg Wrote:  

So leadership was lacking when they didn't show up for the last two games of Lynch's career too?

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - prairiedawg - 02-02-2017 06:57 PM

(02-02-2017 06:42 PM)7 Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 06:40 PM)prairiedawg Wrote:  

So leadership was lacking when they didn't show up for the last two games of Lynch's career too?

NIU losing by just 7 to a solid Utah St was not showing UP? Not in my book.

No....losing 55-7 in the most stastically lopsided game in the history of college football is not showing up. Identify the "leader" in that game. Sorry I brought it up...I will be a crabass all night now.

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - BDB5yp - 02-02-2017 07:22 PM

(02-02-2017 06:10 PM)Teamduh Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 05:37 PM)7 Wrote:  I'm not gonna get into this, but there's no way to prove anything you just said. The team fell off because of (mostly) QB injuries/bad QB play. Nothing more, nothing less.
I agree 7. The other poster's comments were opinion not fact. But i would say it is how he-she feels and that is what is important.

Also I don't know how yelling at people makes them accountable. I think people want to be accountable because they love the game. Yelling during game may not be an effective motivator for all, in fact for some may lessen their impact. The days of bobby knight coaching style is out. Take a look at pj and his success. He motivated by providing vision and asking his team to join him in this journey, to row the boat together. Corny, sure, but it worked.

90% of posts on here are opinion based. Doesn't make it wrong. Do I need to post a picture of the Western Illinois scoreboard? Even with our backup QB which was Maddie, we should of won that game. Where was the leadership in that one? Come on man.......

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - 7 - 02-02-2017 08:15 PM

(02-02-2017 07:22 PM)BDB5yp Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 06:10 PM)Teamduh Wrote:  

90% of posts on here are opinion based. Doesn't make it wrong. Do I need to post a picture of the Western Illinois scoreboard? Even with our backup QB which was Maddie, we should of won that game. Where was the leadership in that one? Come on man.......
They lost that game because Graham sucks. They staged a massive rally when Maddie came in.

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - Dtownboys - 02-03-2017 01:52 AM

I think the problem last year was that we failed when we should have closed games out. Not necessarily leadership because that's an opinion but for sure execution. We missed lots of opportunities against Wyoming, CMU, Toledo plus several more the 2015 season. Wiu we changed qbs too late. As far as Boise the team quit. Leadership would have helped there but we did start a qb that had no business playing so I don't think the outcome would have changed. Maybe a closer score but no rah rah speech would have won that game.

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - numbersdontlie - 02-04-2017 01:14 PM

Noticed RH is a southpaw. When is the last time we had a lefty QB?

Also, people are really down on this team. Not to bring up # of stars but this kid seems to fit our system well and was rated pretty highly. Sure he's going to need time to get up to D1 game speed but if we can rid ourselves of the QB injury bug we should have a decent year.

Looking forward to the future.

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - BDB5yp - 02-04-2017 01:57 PM

(02-04-2017 01:14 PM)numbersdontlie Wrote:  Noticed RH is a southpaw. When is the last time we had a lefty QB?

Also, people are really down on this team. Not to bring up # of stars but this kid seems to fit our system well and was rated pretty highly. Sure he's going to need time to get up to D1 game speed but if we can rid ourselves of the QB injury bug we should have a decent year.

I agree. I like when guys want to get in early to learn and compete. No downside in that. I hope our QB group is good/durable enough that he doesn't start as a true Freshman. Lol

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - 7 - 02-04-2017 02:18 PM

(02-04-2017 01:14 PM)numbersdontlie Wrote:  Noticed RH is a southpaw. When is the last time we had a lefty QB?

Tommy Feidler.

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - NIU05 - 02-04-2017 05:17 PM

He will not play in 17. Stunned if he sees field unless 3 QB's get hurt.

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - Rabid Squirrel - 02-04-2017 06:08 PM

It was more a lack of confidence than a lack of leadership. You can be a hell of a leader, but if you two hop your passes to the WRs feet enough times, the entire offense just knows it's going to fail. To me it seemed the heads were hanging low when ever Graham played.

RE: Tribune Article on Rodney Hall & Recruiting Class - numbersdontlie - 02-04-2017 08:07 PM

(02-04-2017 02:18 PM)7 Wrote:  

Tommy Feidler.

Ha. Well, I guess I was too busy drinking my sorrows away to notice when he entered the game.