CSNbbs
Fan Expectations (by program) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Fan Expectations (by program) (/thread-806323.html)

Pages: 1 2

Fan Expectations (by program) - Justanodufan - 01-22-2017 06:48 PM

With all this talk regarding MBB and if Coach Jones is or is not on the hot seat, I started thinking: What are the fans' expectations? What type of season ensures a coach is safe (at least for a year or two)?

For me:
Football - Conference Championship.... At minimum Division Champ (Bowl games don't cut it for me, because a 6-6 record gets you to a bowl game.)

Men's Basketball- Tournament Champion & NCAA -or- Regular Season Champion & NIT. (With CUSA being a one bid league, I could handle the NIT)

Women's Basketball- Tournament Champion & NCAA. (The WNIT has 64 teams invited, not very prestigious and last year the best P5 school (based on record) to play in it was Minnesota at 19-11.)

Men's Soccer- NCAA tournament (basing this on past success and how well they did during the first year of CUSA play)

Baseball- NCAA Regional... Baseball maybe our only sport that CUSA sends multiple teams to the NCAA Regional (I think 3 teams last year)

Field Hockey- Big East Champ (regular or tournament, either should lead to a NCAA bid)

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - T-Mac - 01-22-2017 08:47 PM

Are you asking what the minimum is? What the coaches should achieve in a certain timeframe (at least once every 2, 5, 10 years?)?

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - Justanodufan - 01-22-2017 08:54 PM

(01-22-2017 08:47 PM)T-Mac Wrote:  Are you asking what the minimum is? What the coaches should achieve in a certain timeframe (at least once every 2, 5, 10 years?)?

Minimum & timeline (if appropriate, some sports will take longer to achieve then others)

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - monarx - 01-22-2017 09:41 PM

I expect an NCAA at least once every four years and hope for better than that. As long as 6-6 gets a bowl game I would hope to get one nearly every year. At least 75% of the time.

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - The Doctor Is In - 01-22-2017 10:24 PM

We are not relevant in men's basketball...

rel·e·vant
ˈreləvənt/
adjective

"Appropriate to the current time, period, or circumstances; of contemporary interest."

We were relevant at one time, but no longer. Hell, we don't even get the headlines in our own "local" newspaper anymore. Yesterday's game vs. UNCC was "reported" on page 4 of today's paper and neither of "our" local reporters attended. No box score either. Pathetic! We have taken several steps backward. To paraphrase the lyrics from one of my all time favorite Who songs, "Woody can you hear me?"

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - Razor Ramon Monarch - 01-22-2017 11:56 PM

Vcu has made 6 NCAA tourney's in a row and quite a few of their fans were questioning will wade's job security.

Jones has made 1 nit in 4 years (were not going anywhere this year) and no NCAA tourneys and quite a large portion of our fan base wants to give him at least 2 more years.

Depending on how early we exit the conference tourney this year you could make a case he needs to go at the end of the year. But if we don't make the NCAA tourney in year 5 with all of odu's resources and advantages (we used to consider ourselves better than vcu!), he clearly has to go. 0/5 is long enough especially when we are playing such ugly ball.

As for football, id say a 10 win season is a automatic extension, especially for a program still in its infancy in fbs with no real history.

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - TheDancinMonarch - 01-23-2017 01:02 AM

Our esteemed AD Camden Wood Selig has set the standard by which all will be judged. His expectations are for teams to finish in the top 25% of their conference. Quite a few are failing that standard today. So at best we can chant "We're top 25. Percent!"

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - monarx - 01-23-2017 07:36 AM

(01-23-2017 01:02 AM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  Our esteemed AD Camden Wood Selig has set the standard by which all will be judged. His expectations are for teams to finish in the top 25% of their conference. Quite a few are failing that standard today. So at best we can chant "We're top 25. Percent!"

Top 25% in CUSA men's basketball is not good enough. In the A10 or AAC, sure. But CUSA is almost like the Big South. Third or fourth place is still pretty blah overall.

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - 757ODU - 01-23-2017 08:25 AM

(01-22-2017 11:56 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  Vcu has made 6 NCAA tourney's in a row and quite a few of their fans were questioning will wade's job security.

Jones has made 1 nit in 4 years (were not going anywhere this year) and no NCAA tourneys and quite a large portion of our fan base wants to give him at least 2 more years.

Depending on how early we exit the conference tourney this year you could make a case he needs to go at the end of the year. But if we don't make the NCAA tourney in year 5 with all of odu's resources and advantages (we used to consider ourselves better than vcu!), he clearly has to go. 0/5 is long enough especially when we are playing such ugly ball.

As for football, id say a 10 win season is a automatic extension, especially for a program still in its infancy in fbs with no real history.

I am not sure that you really want this. We need to get our two recruits into the program. The last thing we need is Jones getting canned and Huiett and Godwin choosing to go elsewhere. If he isn't successful next year, send him packing.

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - ODUalum78 - 01-23-2017 09:37 AM

It is recreation to discuss what "we" will do; when "we" will replace JJ and who "we"
are going to replace him with.
As I stated in another thread
Jeff Jones is easily doing enough to keep his job, for now.

-JJ and WS are personal friends.

- JJs ODU W/L percentage is better than that of BT. I know, I know, it's early in his tenure and this is not nearly as good a conference, but right now that is a factor

- BT didn't take us to the post season until his 4th season. JJ took us in his first and has since. (crap tourneys are irrelevant)

- Home attendance spiked to near record levels the past two seasons (over 7,000), after the huge drop in the season following the 2012/2013 BT disaster.

As long as we have a winning % and continue to get to (meaningful or not) a post season tournament, JJs job is secure, unless it hits us in the pocketbook.

The bottom line:
JJ will have to have an epic fail, like that of Blaine Taylor, OR the money stops coming in. Attendance/season tickets will have to drop significantly, and that may indeed be happening, as so far this year attendance is down almost 1000/game (6148) compared with the previous two seasons.
If that trend continues, or there is a significant drop in season ticket sales, over the next few years, then there will be a change; but probably not before.

Even all that might no be enough, as KB is still here. 07-coffee3

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - T-Mac - 01-23-2017 10:14 AM

JJ is currently 81-47 at ODU (.633). He's taken us to a postseason tournament three out of four years and has an NIT Final Four under his belt. The overall talent and depth has increased every year and is trending up.

There is no reasonable argument to justify firing him.

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - Gilesfan - 01-23-2017 10:21 AM

Expectations, I would assume are minimums. We all know the "goals."

So, 7-8 wins in football and a decent bowl. Love to happen every year, but obviously that may not be possible.

Basketball- top 3 in conference and 20+ wins. On the verge of the tourney in most years.

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - Monarchblue - 01-23-2017 10:34 AM

(01-23-2017 10:14 AM)T-Mac Wrote:  JJ is currently 81-47 at ODU (.633). He's taken us to a postseason tournament three out of four years and has an NIT Final Four under his belt. The overall talent and depth has increased every year and is trending up.

Can we just stop with the "postseason" nonsense? It is embarrassing to tout a trip to the Vegas 8 or one of the ChIT tournaments. We have a banner hanging touting those things for pete's sake. I guess that tells you all you need to know about the aspirations of the current admin.

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - Monarchblue - 01-23-2017 10:36 AM

(01-23-2017 10:21 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Expectations, I would assume are minimums. We all know the "goals."

So, 7-8 wins in football and a decent bowl. Love to happen every year, but obviously that may not be possible.

Basketball- top 3 in conference and 20+ wins. On the verge of the tourney in most years.

20 wins is a bad season against our schedule. Especially when folks like to add in all of the tournament wins against the F_Us and whatever MEAC/Big South teams we beat in the crappy post season tournament du jour.

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - odufansam - 01-23-2017 11:28 AM

(01-23-2017 10:14 AM)T-Mac Wrote:  JJ is currently 81-47 at ODU (.633). He's taken us to a postseason tournament three out of four years and has an NIT Final Four under his belt. The overall talent and depth has increased every year and is trending up.

I just don't see the depth and talent improving.

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - Gilesfan - 01-23-2017 12:01 PM

(01-23-2017 11:28 AM)odufansam Wrote:  

Jones inherited a team with Bacote, Baker, Batten, Mosley, Palmore, Ross......the talent has certainly improved from what he took over to what we have now. That really is not disputable. If it is "enough" is the real question.

Personally, I think next years team has a chance to be really good...maybe as good as 2 years ago.

Caver and Talley are both sophs being asked to carry the team. Both are very talented players that are playing well, but have no business being 1 and 1a as sophomores. Both will be in contention for All-CUSA teams next year. Adding Brandan Stith gives us a viable defender/rebounding big man that can get garbage buckets. That is a pretty solid 3 players to build off of and will be juniors and seniors.

Fields comes back and will likely be able to play a few more mins per game that he has been able to this year. Porter will be a viable starter on the block. B.J. Stith- who really knows? He looks like a good player 1 game, disappears for another 2. Maybe he will grow as a player in the offseason.

Vassor/Haynes/Kah- should be back and provide depth as seniors.

Green/Hueitt/Godwin- Hueitt and Godwin are the highest ranked recruits we have had since Dahi. We don't know how they will perform as freshman, but both are more talented than most of the guys we have on the floor right now. The people that saw Green in high school seemed to be very impressed. Had offers from Providence, ECU, Cincy.

Losing Taylor will hurt and we need to find a big to replace his minutes. Does all the dirty work for us and plays excellent defense and steals a few possessions a game. As much as I like Baker as a person, we will not miss him. Unfortunately for him, he's been thrust into more of a offensive role than he should have been.

So again, I think next year should be a really good team. The big 3 are among the best in the conference. Godwin and Green give us more size and open court ability. Hueitt and Godwin both should provide more shooting ability from 3. We should gain a lot more than we lose and hope that the returning players improve as they should. With so many guys at the 1 through 3 spots, there is a chance that either Godwin or Hueitt redshirt though.

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - T-Mac - 01-23-2017 12:26 PM

odufansam, looking at the 2013-2014 roster and the 2016-2017 roster, I'm not sure how you can make that statement.

PG - Keenan Palmore vs. Ahmad Caver - Advantage Caver, by far!
SG - Aaron Bacote vs. BJ Stith - Push
SF - Ambrose Mosley vs. Zoran Talley - Advantage Talley, by far!
PF - Denzel Taylor (freshman) vs. Denzel Taylor (senior) - Advantage Sr. year, by far!
C - Richard Ross vs. Brandan Stith - Advantage Stith, by a little

Bench - Batten, Baker (freshman) vs. Porter, Baker (senior), Haynes - Advantage this year, by far!

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - monarx - 01-23-2017 12:47 PM

JJ took us to the NIT when we should have been an NCAA team. That was underachieving. The CIT and Vegas tournaments don't count. We paid to be included and most teams we want to associate with don't even play in them. We're not going anywhere this season unless we get lucky in Bham. Not sure how you see that as trending up. We get worse every year. I'm willing to give him through next season mostly because I do think his recruiting last year and this year has been decent. If he can't get us to the NCAAs next season, I'm ready for someone who can. Until then, he has my support.

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - 757ODU - 01-23-2017 02:40 PM

(01-23-2017 12:01 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(01-23-2017 11:28 AM)odufansam Wrote:  

Jones inherited a team with Bacote, Baker, Batten, Mosley, Palmore, Ross......the talent has certainly improved from what he took over to what we have now. That really is not disputable. If it is "enough" is the real question.

Personally, I think next years team has a chance to be really good...maybe as good as 2 years ago.

Caver and Talley are both sophs being asked to carry the team. Both are very talented players that are playing well, but have no business being 1 and 1a as sophomores. Both will be in contention for All-CUSA teams next year. Adding Brandan Stith gives us a viable defender/rebounding big man that can get garbage buckets. That is a pretty solid 3 players to build off of and will be juniors and seniors.

Fields comes back and will likely be able to play a few more mins per game that he has been able to this year. Porter will be a viable starter on the block. B.J. Stith- who really knows? He looks like a good player 1 game, disappears for another 2. Maybe he will grow as a player in the offseason.

Vassor/Haynes/Kah- should be back and provide depth as seniors.

Green/Hueitt/Godwin- Hueitt and Godwin are the highest ranked recruits we have had since Dahi. We don't know how they will perform as freshman, but both are more talented than most of the guys we have on the floor right now. The people that saw Green in high school seemed to be very impressed. Had offers from Providence, ECU, Cincy.

Losing Taylor will hurt and we need to find a big to replace his minutes. Does all the dirty work for us and plays excellent defense and steals a few possessions a game. As much as I like Baker as a person, we will not miss him. Unfortunately for him, he's been thrust into more of a offensive role than he should have been.

So again, I think next year should be a really good team. The big 3 are among the best in the conference. Godwin and Green give us more size and open court ability. Hueitt and Godwin both should provide more shooting ability from 3. We should gain a lot more than we lose and hope that the returning players improve as they should. With so many guys at the 1 through 3 spots, there is a chance that either Godwin or Hueitt redshirt though.

I like these points you made. Add the fact that Green will provide a deep threat too. He can shoot it. Personally, I do not see Godwin or Hueitt redshirting. I think they both make an impact right away.

RE: Fan Expectations (by program) - Gilesfan - 01-23-2017 02:47 PM

I don't know a ton about Green, just read scouting reports and people on here. I thought his issue (besides needing to gain strength) was outside shooting?