CSNbbs
A Question for ODU & Marshall Fans - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: A Question for ODU & Marshall Fans (/thread-805763.html)

A Question for ODU & Marshall Fans - Rabonchild - 01-17-2017 01:00 AM

If given a choice Would you rather remain in CUSA or in a conference consisting of:

1. UCONN 2. Temple 3.UMASS 4.Buffalo 5.Army 6. Stoney Brook 7. JMU 8. ODU 9. Marshall

RE: A Question for ODU & Marshall Fans - Rich52c - 01-17-2017 04:34 AM

(01-17-2017 01:00 AM)Rabonchild Wrote:  If given a choice Would you rather remain in CUSA or in a conference consisting of:

1. UCONN 2. Temple 3.UMASS 4.Buffalo 5.Army 6. Stoney Brook 7. JMU 8. ODU 9. Marshall

Is this conference for real?
Why would UCONN and TEMPLE join it?
Army would not join this conference for all sports.
Why is Delaware not included?

I can see JMU,ODU,Stoney Brook,Delaware,UMASS,Buffalo,Marshall in such a league for football only.

RE: A Question for ODU & Marshall Fans - Cyniclone - 01-17-2017 03:59 PM

(01-17-2017 01:00 AM)Rabonchild Wrote:  If given a choice Would you rather remain in CUSA or in a conference consisting of:

Putting aside whether UConn and Temple would leave the AAC for this, JMU and Stony Brook would move up, or Army would drop its independence, I'd say probably? But it's worth noting that ODU has traditionally been in Southern-facing conferences (Sun Belt, CUSA — even the CAA was strictly North Carolina to Maryland until the last few years of ODU's time there). So even if it was considered a better conference, and it meant that ODU wasn't playing Texas teams with which it has almost no history, I don't know that it'd be a slam dunk either.

RE: A Question for ODU & Marshall Fans - JHG722 - 01-17-2017 04:41 PM

I'd rather drop sports.

RE: A Question for ODU & Marshall Fans - Kittonhead - 01-17-2017 09:34 PM

Most of them do not care.

RE: A Question for ODU & Marshall Fans - CameramanJ - 01-17-2017 09:42 PM

I would say no. Two call-ups, Army does its own thing, and we only consistently recruit in areas occupied by three of those teams.

RE: A Question for ODU & Marshall Fans - BruceMcF - 01-18-2017 05:16 AM

(01-17-2017 03:59 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  So even if it was considered a better conference, and it meant that ODU wasn't playing Texas teams with which it has almost no history, I don't know that it'd be a slam dunk either.
And ODU won't be playing "Texas teams with which it has almost no history" every year ... the real question for ODU is how well it fits in its division ... Marshall, Charlotte, MTSU, Western Kentucky and the F_U's.

RE: A Question for ODU & Marshall Fans - Blue_Trombone - 01-18-2017 06:44 AM

I'd prefer a conference with no more call-ups. In a perfect world:

ODU - UConn - Temple - Navy - ECU - WKU - MTSU - UNC-C - Georgia State. UAB, App St and Georgia Southern also if it went to 12.

I'm sorry, but playing Buffalo, Stony Brook and Army doesn't really interest me. I'd rather be playing WKU, MTSU and UAB.

RE: A Question for ODU & Marshall Fans - Steve1981 - 01-18-2017 10:00 AM

(01-17-2017 03:59 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

Putting aside whether UConn and Temple would leave the AAC for this, JMU and Stony Brook would move up, or Army would drop its independence, I'd say probably? But it's worth noting that ODU has traditionally been in Southern-facing conferences (Sun Belt, CUSA — even the CAA was strictly North Carolina to Maryland until the last few years of ODU's time there). So even if it was considered a better conference, and it meant that ODU wasn't playing Texas teams with which it has almost no history, I don't know that it'd be a slam dunk either.

The CAA Football was the Yankee conference. After the CAA took Northeastern and Hofstra for all sports and convinced Richmond to flip on the A10, the football moved to the CAA. True it was heading south. The initial failure of replacing Northeastern and Hofstra with a northern football team, along with URI going to step down and adding Georgia State, UMass opted for FBS and a football only with the MAC.

Have no issue with your main point in that you consider yourself, like Marshal to be a southern team. We like the east coast so all teams have their vision of themselves.

This is much like the threads on a new east coast conference especially by some JMU fans.

RE: A Question for ODU & Marshall Fans - mturn017 - 01-18-2017 10:29 AM

That's a strange collection. It'd be a big step up in basketball and a step back for football. Also, very northeastern. Add in Charlotte to insulate the southern branch a little more and I say why not. But it won't ever happen.

Generally pretty happy with the core eastern schools of CUSA: Marshall, WKU, MT & Charlotte. The FL schools I could leave or take.

RE: A Question for ODU & Marshall Fans - NJ2MDTerp - 01-19-2017 02:36 AM

Substitute Navy for Army and East Carolina for Marshall and add UCF and USF. Also not so sure about Buffalo. If Stony Brook can move up, why not Fordham? I'd prefer Fordham over Buffalo if Fordham was committed to FBS.

RE: A Question for ODU & Marshall Fans - va-eagle - 01-19-2017 11:40 AM

(01-18-2017 05:16 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(01-17-2017 03:59 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  So even if it was considered a better conference, and it meant that ODU wasn't playing Texas teams with which it has almost no history, I don't know that it'd be a slam dunk either.
And ODU won't be playing "Texas teams with which it has almost no history" every year ... the real question for ODU is how well it fits in its division ... Marshall, Charlotte, MTSU, Western Kentucky and the F_U's.

I didn't know ODU had history playing any FBS teams.

RE: A Question for ODU & Marshall Fans - mturn017 - 01-19-2017 12:51 PM

(01-19-2017 11:40 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  

We have a history of beating up on CUSA West teams. It's a short history but still.

RE: A Question for ODU & Marshall Fans - va-eagle - 01-20-2017 12:51 PM

(01-19-2017 12:51 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(01-19-2017 11:40 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  

We have a history of beating up on CUSA West teams. It's a short history but still.

Touche my conference mate.