CSNbbs
2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) (/thread-805688.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - EagleTough - 01-22-2017 11:27 PM

(01-22-2017 10:36 PM)Lefty One Wrote:  EMU might add a CB transfer from G.T. Meiko Dotson, who played in 12 games this year as a R-FR.

Not much help or excitement since he'll have to sit the whole year....and the fact that he's only 5'9.

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - EagleTough - 01-22-2017 11:41 PM

(01-22-2017 07:12 PM)emu79 Wrote:  
(01-22-2017 06:36 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  
(01-22-2017 03:31 PM)emu79 Wrote:  
(01-22-2017 03:28 PM)mshumaker Wrote:  Per his Twitter, Ali Fayed flips to Western

Hm, losing an instate kid within a half hour of Ypsi is never a good sign. Words cannot describe how ****** I am about how recruiting has gone so far this year with football. Very disappointing.

Honestly, if we were going to lose somebody in this class, I'm fine with this guy. Next to no offers, and way too small.

Not sure why you're upset about recruiting this year? It's the same as every year. Of everybody on this board you should know this better than anyone.

Because we may not do as well as the previous three classes under this staff even after going to a bowl

I understand, but as I've said before, don't expect better seasons to really help this staff much at all.

Wanna get even more irritated, here's another kid that WMU just marched in and grabbed out of the blue:

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/13106

Good looking 3 star OL from Indiana (where we supposedly recruit pretty well) with offers from most of the MAC, as well as P5 offers, but guess who isn't even on the offer list? It is what it is.

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - Lefty One - 01-23-2017 12:26 AM

WMU did come off of a banner year, thus I expected them to still get a few good guys even with Fleck leaving. I am not impressed with Lester and the staff he is lining up, expect them to slip down a few years in a row-or more.

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - emu steve - 01-23-2017 04:31 AM

I did see the IN OT. Head to head I see WMU beating any other MAC team. Why not? 13 - 1. Cotton Bowl. Good aura to the program.

Check out these photos part of this recruit's tweet:

https://twitter.com/TOMara05/status/823350236341014528

WMU is the top dog now (sorry, NIU, you're not top dog, yet only dog in the MAC. Lol.).

I still say WMU, TOL, NIU, etc. are de facto favorites for most kids from day one.

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - emu79 - 01-23-2017 05:19 AM

(01-23-2017 04:31 AM)emu steve Wrote:  I did see the IN OT. Head to head I see WMU beating any other MAC team. Why not? 13 - 1. Cotton Bowl. Good aura to the program.

Check out these photos part of this recruit's tweet:

https://twitter.com/TOMara05/status/823350236341014528

WMU is the top dog now (sorry, NIU, you're not top dog, yet only dog in the MAC. Lol.).

I still say WMU, TOL, NIU, etc. are de facto favorites for most kids from day one.

Where's our aura?

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - emu79 - 01-23-2017 05:21 AM

(01-22-2017 11:41 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  
(01-22-2017 07:12 PM)emu79 Wrote:  
(01-22-2017 06:36 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  
(01-22-2017 03:31 PM)emu79 Wrote:  
(01-22-2017 03:28 PM)mshumaker Wrote:  Per his Twitter, Ali Fayed flips to Western

Hm, losing an instate kid within a half hour of Ypsi is never a good sign. Words cannot describe how ****** I am about how recruiting has gone so far this year with football. Very disappointing.

Honestly, if we were going to lose somebody in this class, I'm fine with this guy. Next to no offers, and way too small.

Not sure why you're upset about recruiting this year? It's the same as every year. Of everybody on this board you should know this better than anyone.

Because we may not do as well as the previous three classes under this staff even after going to a bowl

I understand, but as I've said before, don't expect better seasons to really help this staff much at all.

Wanna get even more irritated, here's another kid that WMU just marched in and grabbed out of the blue:

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/13106

Good looking 3 star OL from Indiana (where we supposedly recruit pretty well) with offers from most of the MAC, as well as P5 offers, but guess who isn't even on the offer list? It is what it is.

With a week to go to signing day our recruiting seems ahem a bit unfocused ie scrambling around.

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - Luckeyone - 01-23-2017 08:41 AM

I have faith in Creighton. He's the only coach to get us to a bowl game in 30 years.

Keep the faith, EMU fans!!

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - emu79 - 01-23-2017 09:16 AM

Many of the o line guys we looked at are visiting Fresno St not surprising

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - emu79 - 01-23-2017 09:19 AM

(01-23-2017 08:41 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  I have faith in Creighton. He's the only coach to get us to a bowl game in 30 years.

I have had faith in cc and his staff but while I think they are solid coaches recruiting is an area they need to work on and improve

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - emu steve - 01-23-2017 09:22 AM

(01-23-2017 08:41 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  I have faith in Creighton. He's the only coach to get us to a bowl game in 30 years.

I still maintain that our biggest advantage is that we have scholarships to give this late in the process.

There will be prospects who will be trying to decide their future, e.g., P5 preferred walk-on or G5 scholarship, G5 prospects who are caught in the 'numbers game' with several schools including EMU in the mix, etc.

Some of you may remember from the English-era that Lincoln Hansen decided on EMU over a preferred walk-on offer at Nebraska (think I have it right).

I hope we are looking at kids who are exactly in that situation.

OTOH, we lost a Glasglow (scholarship offer) to UofM (preferred walk on) and I believe he is the one with the Lions now.

And also remember that the better FCS teams are as good as many FBS teams. No sin to recruit against NDSU, Youngstown St, No. Iowa, S. Dakota State, Il. State, etc. etc.

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - Ken Barna - 01-23-2017 09:26 AM

Dear Friends,
According to Scout.com we just lost Ali Fayad to Western. How do we lose players the last week of recruiting? Especially, since he was one of our recruits going back to July. Well I do not wish him success.

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - emu steve - 01-23-2017 09:35 AM

(01-23-2017 09:19 AM)emu79 Wrote:  

I have had faith in cc and his staff but while I think they are solid coaches recruiting is an area they need to work on and improve

Exactly!!

Coaching including X and Os, program management, etc. seem to be one 'skill set'.

Recruiting is another thing, somewhat different.

Going back to the days of Ron Cooper, I'd suspect he was a much, much recruiter than Xs and Os, etc.

Rick Rasnick was great with Xs and Os but some believe he lost the team ('program management').

I assume most think English was better at recruiting than Xs and Os and team management.

I believe most if not all here believe CC is very strong with program management, etc. the type of person who could make a very good CEO. Can he sell like P.J or Ron Cooper? I think we'll learn in 2018 when he has a full 12 months to sell his turnaround program.

As I posted before, before we hit six wins, most of the heavy recruiting of MI prospects was done... Not many top 50 MI prospect uncommitted the night we beat BSU.

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - emu steve - 01-23-2017 11:05 AM

Nice summary of the weekend's recruiting activity for EMU and the MAC.

http://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-football-recruiting/2017/1/23/14353606/a-look-at-what-took-place-mid-american-conference-on-recruiting-trail-over-weekend-toledo-miami-ohio

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - EagleTough - 01-23-2017 12:09 PM

(01-23-2017 09:26 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Friends,
According to Scout.com we just lost Ali Fayad to Western. How do we lose players the last week of recruiting? Especially, since he was one of our recruits going back to July. Well I do not wish him success.

Go back and start at Post 67 in this thread Ken.

How do we lose players you ask? How do we rank at the bottom of the MAC in recruiting?..............

.........our staff is not very good at recruiting! 03-banghead

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - Luckeyone - 01-23-2017 12:18 PM

(01-23-2017 12:09 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  

How do we lose players you ask? How do we rank at the bottom of the MAC in recruiting?..............

ETough, I respect your insight very much but I wouldn't say CC is not good at recruiting. Let this season play out and then we'll know. I think CC has brought in some talented players and coaches. In fact, the WMU game would have been interesting if Turner didn't fumble on the five yard line. In my opinion, we have the Top QB returning with talented RBs and WRs. On defense we were young last year but return what 7 of 11 players. We are going to win 7 games next season and sign a great class for 2018.

I can not knock CC yet because I hear great things are in store for next year's team. I hear CC is a tireless worker....Let it play out.

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - emu steve - 01-23-2017 12:24 PM

I essentially said a head coach has two major functions: Program management, Xs and Os, etc. AND recruiting.

Recruiting is further sub-divided into: Evaluation and persuasion.

One could argue that CC has shown flashes of skills with the evaluation part. He has found many 'under the radar types' including JUCOs.

The big question, going forward, will he be able to compete with WMU, CMU, TOL, etc. in MICHIGAN for high school recruits ranked say 26 - 50.

At that point we are largely talking not so much about evaluation, but persuasion, being able to close the deal on prospects other MAC schools want.

To beat CMU, BG, etc. one needs to be able to out recruit or out evaluate or out coach them.

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - Ken Barna - 01-23-2017 12:33 PM

Dear EagleTough,
I guess I missed that thread 67. Just one more comment about commitments. People have said, these are eighteen year olds, we can't expect them to keep commitments. Well I disagree. People make commitments every day, whether to jobs, family, military, etc., and are expected to honor those commitments.

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - emu steve - 01-23-2017 12:36 PM

(01-23-2017 12:33 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear EagleTough,
I guess I missed that thread 67. Just one more comment about commitments. People have said, these are eighteen year olds, we can't expect them to keep commitments. Well I disagree. People make commitments every day, whether to jobs, family, military, etc., and are expected to honor those commitments.

P.J. Fleck too ????????????

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - EagleTough - 01-23-2017 12:38 PM

(01-23-2017 12:18 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(01-23-2017 12:09 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  

ETough, I respect your insight very much but I wouldn't say CC is not good at recruiting. Let this season play out and then we'll know. I think CC has brought in some talented players and coaches. In fact, the WMU game would have been interesting if Turner didn't fumble on the five yard line. In my opinion, we have the Top QB returning with talented RBs and WRs. On defense we were young last year but return what 7 of 11 players. We are going to win 7 games next season and sign a great class for 2018.

I can not knock CC yet because I hear great things are in store for next year's team. I hear CC is a tireless worker....Let it play out.

I am not knocking CC. I have laid out my case about our recruiting, next year's team, and the next 3-4 years very clearly. Results don't lie, it is what it is. Our class this year will be bottom 3 or 4 in MAC, and our class next year will be the same.

Only way we stay competitive is to keep bringing in the Juco's.

Looking forward to next year.

RE: 2017 Football Recruiting (Thread II) - emu steve - 01-23-2017 12:53 PM

The big difference between NFL and college:

NFL has a draft so college players are evaluated but 'persuasion' isn't part of it (just like an military draft - you get selected or notified that you were called.)

College sports are different: It is evaluation AND persuasion.

Therefore IF CC can out evaluate other programs, he could be successful in the player acquisition function by that alone.