CSNbbs
Women's basketball starts today - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Women's basketball starts today (/thread-803892.html)

Pages: 1 2

Women's basketball starts today - Fort Bend Owl - 12-30-2016 11:11 AM

Any predictions or updates about your team? I have only seen parts of a couple of women's games this year so I can't give too much insight on the Rice ladies although I definitely know we're better than last year and will be even better in a year when we have two Pepperdine transfers eligible. Our Arizona State transfer missed a few games early with a back injury but she's playing now and seems to be getting better with every game (although she's still coming off the bench for now).

RE: Women's basketball starts today - Stephen Shirley - 12-30-2016 01:43 PM

(12-30-2016 11:11 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Any predictions or updates about your team? I have only seen parts of a couple of women's games this year so I can't give too much insight on the Rice ladies although I definitely know we're better than last year and will be even better in a year when we have two Pepperdine transfers eligible. Our Arizona State transfer missed a few games early with a back injury but she's playing now and seems to be getting better with every game (although she's still coming off the bench for now).

The easiest prediction is that we are a one bid league. With only two top-100 RPI teams and five teams sub-245, this is the worst year for WBB since MT has joined.

WKy is still the team to beat with the best collection of talent but neither they or any other team is significantly better than all but those bottom feeding programs. I predict the conference champ finishes the season with three league losses.

I predict Jeannie Simms will win POY and the league championship coach will win COY.

I predict FIU's season home attendance will be less than 10% more than MT's highest single game attendance mark.

RE: Women's basketball starts today - HerdZoned - 12-30-2016 02:26 PM

Marshall's starting 5:
SG/PG Shayna Gore (Soph)
SG/PG McKenzie Akers (RS Junior)
F Talequia Hamilton (Listed as RS Senior, trying to get a year back)
SG Khadaijia Brooks (Soph)
SG Kiana Evans (Senior)

Key players off the bench
F Ashley Saintigene (Freshman)
SG Logan Fraley (Soph)
F Asheika Alexander (Freshman)
F Jovana Vucetic (Frshman)

Injured
SG Madison Morris (Soph, will not play this year)
SG Taylor Porter (RS Junior)
PG Tana Driver (RS Freshman)

Marshall comes into conference play at 8-3 with wins over Illinois, Florida AM, Coastal Carolina, Sam Houston State, Morgan State, Longwood. Bluefield College and Maine Fort Kent. The three losses are to Prairie View AM, Penn State and North Carolina. We should have beat Penn State but fell to them in the last 3 seconds 82-80.

Right now Matt Daniel has the 34th ranked recruiting class in the nation and when the regular signing period is over (April-May) that will be bumped up to 18-19. This class alone will have 4 4 star kids and 2 6'4 and 6'6 kid in it.

Things are def looking good for both the men and women basketball teams at Marshall.

Marshall starts conference play in the Henderson Center tonight against FIU. And have FAU coming in on Sunday.

RE: Women's basketball starts today - NTTHOR - 12-30-2016 03:10 PM

Tough second year for Julie Mitchell, coaching...but the girls got a new lockerroom...maybe that will help.

https://twitter.com/MeanGreenWBB/status/812699608031764480

RE: Women's basketball starts today - Ole Blue - 12-30-2016 03:29 PM

We have played an exceptionally tough schedule this year. 5-6 overall through OOC play... the losses were to Virginia (11-2 in D1 competition), Louisville (13-2), Ohio (9-2), Kentucky (9-4), Arizona State (9-2), and Georgia Tech (11-2). The good news is we have been improving every game -- looked really rough against UVA, UofL, Ohio which was the worst game of the year so far IMO ... started to pick up back against Kentucky, flopped against ASU, then really should have won over GT but didn't with questionable series of calls at the end -- should have had 2 FTs with 1 second left to win it -- and ended up losing by one point. We have a top 50 win over Tulane and just recently beat Central Michigan who is picked either 1st or 2nd in the MAC along with Ohio. I think our tough schedule has really prepped us well for conference play. Our "worst" loss by RPI was to Virginia who is ranked #83.

STARTERS

F Alex Johnson -- leading the way on the team with more than 17 ppg. Just had a career high vs CMU with 30 pts.
F Rebecca Reuter -- previously was the first off the bench and has been a solid starter. A deep threat at 6'3", valuable.
G Abbey Sissom -- most important player; when she plays well we win, if she doesn't we lose. Confidence needed!
G Ty Petty -- only senior on the team and point guard; has a problem with turnovers but runs offense well, great passer.
G Jess Louro -- replacement for shooting star Brea Edward on wing; improving 3pt % and looking to rebound more and has.

OFF THE BENCH

F Gabby Lyon -- previously started every game. Strong and aggressive post who can rebound. Fouls too much though.
G Katie Collier -- also previously started but is not doing well on offense. Very good defender however and darty.
G Jordan Majors -- used to play post now listed as G. Injured currently but extremely agile inside and a great rebounder.

THE FRESHMEN (Note: As per usual Insell hasn't played them too much, even though they're very capable.)

F Charity Savage -- star freshman who is EXTREMELY athletic with Ebony Rowe like moves. Also capable from outside.
G Kyla Allison -- the likely next starting PG after Petty. Quick and smart with the ball. Working on defense. High potential!
G Shayla Middlebrooks -- coming of ACL tear in senior year of HS and recruited as a shooter. Good on defense.

Next year's class features four players all 6'1" or taller...

6'1" Guard ... Anna Jones -- Jackson, TN -- extremely good scorer, rebounder, team leader
6'1" Forward ... LaSonja Edwards -- Gulf Coast CC -- post player for #1 junior college team, great moves (will be a JR)
6'4" Forward ... Kara Meadows -- Clarkrange, TN -- great size and holds ground, scores 40+ regularly, offensive powerhouse
6'6" Center ... Jadona Davis -- Wayne County, MS -- massive prescence, very athletic, defensive machine, strong and smart

RE: Women's basketball starts today - HerdZoned - 12-30-2016 06:44 PM

Lady Panthers 24
Lady Herd 40
Halftime

RE: Women's basketball starts today - HerdZoned - 12-30-2016 07:04 PM

Marshalls 2017 Recruiting Class
Early Signee's
Kristen Mayo (5'6, 136# PG, East Carter HS, Grayson KY) https://prospectsnation.com/player/kristen-mayo
Brie Toney (6'0, 175# PF, Bexley HS, Bexley OH, Columbus sub burb)
Taylor Pearson (5'9 145# SG, Northland HS, Columbus, OH).

Regular Period Signee's
Leah Wingeier (6'4 212#, PF/C, Newark HS, Utica, OH). https://prospectsnation.com/player/leah-wingeier
There are 2 others that are unknown as of yet. But from what Ive heard all 6 have already sign LOI. They just all couldn't be announced in the early signing period.

Daniel has also stated he has 1 commitment for 2018 and 1 for 2019. The 2018 commit is elusive, could even be a Euro kid.

2019 commit:

Savannah Wheeler (5'6, 135# PG, Boyd County HS, Catlettsburg, KY). https://prospectsnation.com/player/savannah-wheeler

RE: Women's basketball starts today - Stephen Shirley - 12-30-2016 07:50 PM

(12-30-2016 02:26 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  Right now Matt Daniel has the 34th ranked recruiting class in the nation and when the regular signing period is over (April-May) that will be bumped up to 18-19. This class alone will have 4 4 star kids and 2 6'4 and 6'6 kid in it.

Ranked 34th by whom??? None of your three official signees were even named All-State in their respective states. That means your class is NOT the 34th best in the nation.

Your PG signee was listed the 136th best PG according to you. MT's Ty Petty was a 3-star signee as the 48th best PG according to ESPN Hoopgurlz.

Your PF signee was 175th in the nation. MT's Alex Johnson was 3-star at 17th best PF.

I think your coach and university have gotten hold of some random ranking and are touting it to gullible fans like it is the gospel truth. A little investigation and skepticism now may save you plenty of hurt and disappointment later.

RE: Women's basketball starts today - techdawg88 - 12-30-2016 07:53 PM

FINAL

ODU 57
Rice 45

RE: Women's basketball starts today - techdawg88 - 12-30-2016 08:10 PM

USM fans, what happened to Caitlin Jenkins?

RE: Women's basketball starts today - HerdZoned - 12-30-2016 08:41 PM

Lady Panthers 52
Lady Herd 70
Final

Marshall scoring:
Gore 16
Saintigene 11
Akers 10
Evans 9
Hamilton 8
Brooks 8
Alexander 5
Fraley 3

Coach Matt Daniel, SG/PG Shayna Gore, F Ashley Saintigene --- FIU Post Game Press Conference 12-30-2016

Stephen Shirley - By ProspectsNation who is run by Brandon Clay and Jonathan Hemingway. They also run Peach State Basketball. I find much better information on these two sites about girls basketball than ESPN who rarely covers someone not going to a major school, unless you happen to be like Shayna Gore and are a Gatorade All American.

RE: Women's basketball starts today - techdawg88 - 12-30-2016 09:35 PM

FINAL

Lady Techsters 72
USM 61

RE: Women's basketball starts today - HogDawg - 12-30-2016 09:38 PM

(12-30-2016 09:35 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  FINAL

Lady Techsters 72
USM 61

Wow! I'm shocked that we can beat anybody these days. 04-cheers

RE: Women's basketball starts today - techdawg88 - 12-30-2016 09:39 PM

(12-30-2016 09:38 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  
(12-30-2016 09:35 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  FINAL

Lady Techsters 72
USM 61

Wow! I'm shocked that we can beat anybody these days. 04-cheers

USM looks different without Caitlin Jenkins

RE: Women's basketball starts today - Thegoldstandard - 12-30-2016 11:01 PM

(12-30-2016 08:10 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  USM fans, what happened to Caitlin Jenkins?

Her s/s was not renewed.
She and especially her mother were constant problems. Attitude and discipline.
Last christmas we lost a guard to academics. When that girl moved out of the girls house she by accident took a playstation game that belonged to Jenkins.
Jenkins reported the "theft" when it was discovered a week before the conf tourney to the campus police. Announced she was not going to play in the tourney. As the bus was leaving for Birmingham and Jenkins was showing her ass all but one member of the team voted to "leave her ass".
She finally boarded the bus. Morning of the game with uab she went thru shootaround and just before time to go out for warmups decided she wasnt going to play. Jenkins stayed in the locker room until the middle of the 1st qtr when she showed up on the bench and wanted to be put in the game. I saw at least 2 players point at the end of the bench and tell her to sit down there.
Post game her mother was restrained at the hotel wanting to "whip her ass" meaning our staff.

jenkins did not pass enough hours to be released so she could not transfer to another d1 school. She went to Blinn jr college in texas. That did not last very long. She is now playing at Southern-shreveport.

She was a risk from the start. Perfect example of how a parent can ruin an athlete.

RE: Women's basketball starts today - techdawg28 - 12-30-2016 11:08 PM

(12-30-2016 11:01 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  
(12-30-2016 08:10 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  USM fans, what happened to Caitlin Jenkins?

Her s/s was not renewed.
She and especially her mother were constant problems. Attitude and discipline.
Last christmas we lost a guard to academics. When that girl moved out of the girls house she by accident took a playstation game that belonged to Jenkins.
Jenkins reported the "theft" when it was discovered a week before the conf tourney to the campus police. Announced she was not going to play in the tourney. As the bus was leaving for Birmingham and Jenkins was showing her ass all but one member of the team voted to "leave her ass".
She finally boarded the bus. Morning of the game with uab she went thru shootaround and just before time to go out for warmups decided she wasnt going to play. Jenkins stayed in the locker room until the middle of the 1st qtr when she showed up on the bench and wanted to be put in the game. I saw at least 2 players point at the end of the bench and tell her to sit down there.
Post game her mother was restrained at the hotel wanting to "whip her ass" meaning our staff.

jenkins did not pass enough hours to be released so she could not transfer to another d1 school. She went to Blinn jr college in texas. That did not last very long. She is now playing at Southern-shreveport.

She was a risk from the start. Perfect example of how a parent can ruin an athlete.

A shame when attitudes get in the way.

RE: Women's basketball starts today - Ole Blue - 12-31-2016 12:33 AM

(12-30-2016 07:53 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  FINAL

ODU 57
Rice 45

Interesting result -- I am excited to see how we face off against the Owls in our CUSA home opener on Thursday. Getting better every day, thank goodness, and we'll need to be on top of our game against a group of teams that are all pretty good this year in conference play. Big contrast with the men who, although most teams are consistent, are consistently really bad... 01-lauramac2

RE: Women's basketball starts today - Dowless - 12-31-2016 07:07 AM

Charlotte started slow, but came back from a 10 point 1st quarter deficit to beat North Texas 78-63. Charlotte looks pretty good with their only losses coming to Miami (11-2; Ranked 11; RPI 37), Utah (11-1; RPI 19), and Boise State (11-1; RPI 36).

RE: Women's basketball starts today - Stephen Shirley - 12-31-2016 09:02 AM

(12-30-2016 08:41 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  Stephen Shirley - By ProspectsNation who is run by Brandon Clay and Jonathan Hemingway. They also run Peach State Basketball. I find much better information on these two sites about girls basketball than ESPN who rarely covers someone not going to a major school, unless you happen to be like Shayna Gore and are a Gatorade All American.

ESPN is certainly focused on the top 150 or so players, most of whom end up at P5 programs. But your site of choice doesn't even list Middle TN for 2017 signees and therefore doesn't appear to rank the Lady Raider class anywhere, let alone possibly above Marshall. They also don't show WKU, UAB, ODU, UTEP, North Texas, FAU, UTSA or LaTech. It's pretty empty to have a class "ranked 34th in the country and the highest of any Conference USA schools" according to your school press release when half the conference schools aren't even evaluated.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE seeing the improvements at Marshall. If three or for more teams made that dramatic of a jump in RPI, our conference could really become something. But the claims of "34th best recruiting class" just don't appear credible. I wish your signees the best. But I will believe it when I see it.

RE: Women's basketball starts today - Stephen Shirley - 03-12-2017 01:30 PM

Apparently Matt Daniel wasn't buying into the "34th ranked class." Or maybe his dentist wife just couldn't find enough teeth in Huntington on which to work.

Daniel Resigns as Marshall Head Coach