CSNbbs
Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? (/thread-801126.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - Side Show Joe - 12-03-2016 08:22 PM

I know the it's a nice reward for the team with the best record, but I sure was jealous of the crowd the MAC drew on Friday.

If C-USA was to create a neutral site game that rotates from major cities within our footprint, I think we could draw more fans. Fans of all programs could plan early and travel to the event. I think it would be great to have the game in Atlanta, New Orleans, Dallas, Miami, Nashville, Houston, or San Antonio.

Thoughts?

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - KNIGHTTIME - 12-03-2016 08:26 PM

(12-03-2016 08:22 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  I know the it's a nice reward for the team with the best record, but I sure was jealous of the crowd the MAC drew on Friday.

If C-USA was to create a neutral site game that rotates from major cities within our footprint, I think we could draw more fans. Fans of all programs could plan early and travel to the event. I think it would be great to have the game in Atlanta, New Orleans, Dallas, Miami, Nashville, Houston, or San Antonio.

Thoughts?

Terrible idea. The MAC drew a good crowd because it was in "Michigan" as in closer to "Western Michigan". The MAC is essentially a bus league that makes a neutral site game like Ford field possible.

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - techdawg88 - 12-03-2016 08:26 PM

SWAC held their game at the Texans stadium

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - SoMs Eagle - 12-03-2016 08:26 PM

(12-03-2016 08:22 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  I know the it's a nice reward for the team with the best record, but I sure was jealous of the crowd the MAC drew on Friday.

Thoughts?

Said it before, say it again; it should go to the team with the highest average attendance. Reward the fans. They are the 'reason for the season'. It might also make some of these other pitiful fan bases show up for games.

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - wkuhilltopperfan - 12-03-2016 08:29 PM

Thoughts?

First off that crowd was a result of a few things.

1. A team that has not one a championship since the 80's and fans was rapid for the chance

2. A team that was undefeated

3. Indoors in 70 deg temps

4. The MAC is a very small footprint

I'm as disappointed as the next person with the turnout today, It just shows how much we struggle against UK for fans in a market our size... UK playing on tv won that battle today . If CUSA had a neutral site game, oh my it would be 10 times worse than today. Southern schools are always going to draw better

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - Side Show Joe - 12-03-2016 08:40 PM

(12-03-2016 08:26 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  

Thoughts?

Terrible idea. The MAC drew a good crowd because it was in "Michigan" as in closer to "Western Michigan". The MAC is essentially a bus league that makes a neutral site game like Ford field possible.

WMU drew 24K to their last home game. Either they have a large alumni base in Detroit, or Ohio fans traveled to this game in good numbers. I like this conference. Without knowing which teams would play in the game, I would buy tickets at the beginning of the season to a neutral site game in a destination city. I think some other C-USA fans would too.

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - wkuhilltopperfan - 12-03-2016 08:44 PM

(12-03-2016 08:40 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  

Thoughts?

WMU drew 24K to their last home game. Either they have a large alumni base in Detroit, or Ohio fans traveled to this game in good numbers. I like this conference. Without knowing which teams would play in the game, I would buy tickets at the beginning of the season to a neutral site game in a destination city. I think some other C-USA fans would too.

Most fans won't travel twice ....championship game then a bowl game. Bowl game will always win

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - ThunderingHerdFan - 12-03-2016 08:45 PM

So the answer to a poorly attended conference title game on a team's home field is to play at a neutral site?

Guys, homefield of the best league record division winner IS the last resort for attendance purposes.

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - Side Show Joe - 12-03-2016 08:50 PM

(12-03-2016 08:44 PM)wkuhilltopperfan Wrote:  

Thoughts?

Most fans won't travel twice ....championship game then a bowl game. Bowl game will always win

That is a very good point.

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - WKUYG - 12-03-2016 09:09 PM

(12-03-2016 08:26 PM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  

Thoughts?

Said it before, say it again; it should go to the team with the highest average attendance. Reward the fans. They are the 'reason for the season'. It might also make some of these other pitiful fan bases show up for games.

It would be that way....all you have to do is win. But if you think S. Miss had 2/3 of the listed attendance for your last home game. You are crazy. So how do you want to fix that?

I mean Rice might list 20k for every game but unless it's another texas school plying them they get 3k max.

Marshall listed over 17k for their last home game. Maybe 8,000 in the stands

If you can't win your division and the best record overall. You really don't have anything to whine about. It's simple. Put a team on the field that wins

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - eaglebeaver - 12-03-2016 09:17 PM

(12-03-2016 09:09 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  

Thoughts?

It would be that way....all you have to do is win. But if you think S. Miss had 2/3 of the listed attendance for your last home game. You are crazy. So how do you want to fix that?

I mean Rice might list 20k for every game but unless it's another texas school plying them they get 3k max.

If you can't win your division and the best record overall. You really don't have anything to whine about. It's simple. Put a team on the field that wins

What an angry young man...04-cheers

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - nastybunch - 12-03-2016 09:23 PM

Worm, please don't quote our stalker...

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - WKUYG - 12-03-2016 09:30 PM

(12-03-2016 09:17 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  

Thoughts?

Who's angry? not me. My team just repeated winning CUSA. Hell I don't blame other fans for looking at some way to get a foot in on hosting a conference championship.

You can't do it on the field. So now you want the rules changed. Reminds me of a bunch of people needing a coloring book and their safe space

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - eaglebeaver - 12-03-2016 09:40 PM

(12-03-2016 09:30 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(12-03-2016 09:17 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  

Thoughts?

Who's angry? not me. My team just repeated winning CUSA. Hell I don't blame other fans for looking at some way to get a foot in on hosting a conference championship.

You can't do it on the field. So now you want the rules changed. Reminds me of a bunch of people needing a coloring book and their safe space

03-hissyfit------->"WKUYG in Cincinnati"

03-zzz------------> moi

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - Cyniclone - 12-03-2016 09:52 PM

I said this farcically in another thread, and I'm saying it slightly less farcically here: With a bowl game and B4A already, CUSA ought to just sat screw it and have the conference title game and basketball tournaments in the Bahamas. If attendance is always going to be a bugaboo, might as well give up on it and give your top two football teams and a truncated basketball field (four or six teams) some fun and sun at Atlantis.

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - Niner National - 12-03-2016 09:57 PM

(12-03-2016 08:44 PM)wkuhilltopperfan Wrote:  

Thoughts?

I'm the opposite. Id rather go see us win the conference championship than any of the toilet bowls cusa teams get put in.

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - banker - 12-03-2016 11:34 PM

A lot of people at the MAC game were just football fans. There were a lot of Michigan shorts in the crowd. If Michigan (or Michigan State or even Ohio State) was in the big 10 championship you could have shaved 10,000 off the attendance

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - CincyKid3 - 12-03-2016 11:55 PM

Banker wrote: A lot of people at the MAC game were just football fans.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think so, Banker. WMU has a huge alumni base in SE Michigan and their fans haven't seen a team like this come along in decades! There aren't many casual football fans that go to the MACC in Detroit.....there are some diehard MAC fans that go to the game no matter who is playing, but that doesn't amount to a lot of folks. Everyone loves a winner and a Cotton Bowl berth to boot!

Most years the MACC only draws 15K or so.....25K is the most previously at this neutral site and the all time prior record was 28K when the game was played in Huntington. There is debate every year as to whether or not the MAC should stay with the indoor, neutral site ( how it kills attendance vs. a campus site). Of course, in some leagues even playing at a campus site doesn't necessarly help much.

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - CoachMaclid - 12-04-2016 12:07 AM

The first four year of the MAC title game, it went to the highest bidder site, which the Huntington Sports Committee (which had previously hosted the I-AA National Championship Game the five years before) bid and won and hosted at Marshall's stadium, with Marshall winning all 4.

After that, the MAC decided to rotate the championship game between the division winners for three. In 2001, #21 Marshall was sent to Toledo and blew a 23-0 lead (after Marshall had overcome an identical 23-0 deficit against WMU two years prior). In 2003 (the best MAC football season ever, Miami and Bowling Green were both BCS ranked, but the better ranked team had to go on the road).

Since 2004, the MACC has been held at Ford Field in Detroit. While the particular history of the MAC title probably increased the desire for the neutral site, it really hasn't made sense, especially since the MAC had their prominent bowl at the same field weeks later up until a few years ago. However, last night was the first time in the 13 neutral site years that the crowd matched the onsite venues. Some claim that the MAC is a northern conference with unpredictable and cold December weather and it makes sense to have the game indoors, but the first MACC in 1997 was played in a blizzard and it was epic. I actually think if this conference championship game didn't have the baggage of being associated with the "Marshall Invitational", they'd likely be more open to being on campus of the higher seed like the MWC, AAC, and CUSA do.

CUSA is too far spread out for neutral sites or any other model to work.

RE: Should C-USA Rethink Our Championship Game Model? - CincyKid3 - 12-04-2016 12:47 AM

Good comments as always, Maclid: The location of the MACC has always been a dilemma for the conference.....perfect indoor weather usually at the expense of attendance and atmosphere vs. th excitement and unpredictable weather/field conditions of playing outside in December in the upper midwest. I have personally gone back and forth on this myself, but I'd personally like to see it played at campus sites. Most years it's a pretty lifeless Ford Field for the MACC....obviously this year was really different with WMU's special season.