CSNbbs
If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? (/thread-800315.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - NIU05 - 11-29-2016 10:42 AM

They are right now in the team picture. Finish like I beleive they will and they will be reconciled as the best ever. They win the Cotton Bowl that would be the most impressive bowl win of any MAC team ever.

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - huskiebob - 11-29-2016 11:04 AM

(11-27-2016 10:40 PM)Doo Wrote:  If WMU goes 14-0....yes

Yep.

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - Frozenbaugh - 11-29-2016 01:24 PM

(11-29-2016 09:14 AM)cmufanatic Wrote:  
(11-27-2016 10:09 PM)rsswmu Wrote:  If WMU can go 13-0 and beat Ohio are they the best MAC team ever? I'm not saying the would be just wondering what people's thoughts are.

03-shhhh
I think you just gave WMU the kiss of death right here! see ball st in 2008 MACC
common man, CMU needs this cotton bowl money to get rid of our tool shed locker room!!

Thanks so much for the reminder.

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - Schadenfreude - 11-29-2016 02:26 PM

This Bronco team may be one of the best ever, but I don't see how you could put them ahead of those mid-1970s Miami teams right now.

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - broncos1123 - 11-29-2016 02:38 PM

This WMU team is the first team in the history of the MAC to win all of their conference games by 14 points or more.

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - Stay Cool - 11-29-2016 03:13 PM

(11-29-2016 02:26 PM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  This Bronco team may be one of the best ever, but I don't see how you could put them ahead of those mid-1970s Miami teams right now.
I'm inclined to agree. The only real thing WMU has going for it right now is recency. How quickly people forget...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - Bronco'14 - 11-29-2016 05:54 PM

(11-28-2016 03:41 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  I think the only way to clearly answer this would be if WMU won a major bowl. At that point I think it would be fair to call this the most successful season in MAC history.

There may still be an argument for '03 Miami being the best team--that is an impressive resume and they didn't have the same bowl opportunities that exist now.

Not buying 2012 NIU. Lost to a 4 win Iowa in a neutral site "home" game and struggled with other very bad non-conference teams. Hell Illinois sucks but they still won 3 games to KU's 1 and we beat them like a drum. '09 CMU is probably a better argument.
Couldn't agree more.
Marshall early-2000s was great too.

This can be said of the 2012 NIU team, and I mean this as a compliment: It was part of 6-year-or-so Division Championship run. That run will definitely be remembered as one of the best era teams in the MAC.

MAC Domination Era's
2010's: Northern Illinois
2000s: Central Michigan
Late 90s/early 2000s: Marshall
Mid 90s and earlier: Not sure lol I know Miami used to be really good.

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - MileHighBronco - 11-29-2016 08:31 PM

(11-29-2016 03:13 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  
(11-29-2016 02:26 PM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  This Bronco team may be one of the best ever, but I don't see how you could put them ahead of those mid-1970s Miami teams right now.
I'm inclined to agree. The only real thing WMU has going for it right now is recency. How quickly people forget...

It may also be that some posters are students that are young and did not follow the MAC before becoming students at a MAC school. They don't know the history of the league as well as me or you.

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - Stay Cool - 11-29-2016 08:36 PM

(11-29-2016 08:31 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  
(11-29-2016 03:13 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  

It may also be that some posters are students that are young and did not follow the MAC before becoming students at a MAC school. They don't know the history of the league as well as me or you.
That's fair, I can accept this reasoning

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - Rocket A - 11-29-2016 10:24 PM

35-0 says no!!!

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - CincyKid3 - 11-30-2016 01:54 PM

Bronc1123 wrote: This WMU team is the first team in the history of the MAC to win all of their conference games by 14 points or more.

-------------------------------------------

eCK: Yes, but if you want to use that measure the 2003 Miami team led by Big Ben averaged a margin of victory of MAC schools in regular season of 32 PPG whereas WMU's margin of victory this year is 27 PPG. Again, that is merely one metric.

The great Miami teams of the 70's were one of the top defensive teams in the nation as I pointed out in previous posts, holding opponents to around 7 PPG during the regular season in 73 and 74. So, although their margin of victory was smaller (albeit still very impressive with 303 points vs. 86 given up in 1974!), they dominated their opponents in a different manner while running an option attack that allowed them to chew up the clock.

All this is academic unless the Broncos win the MACC and a bowl game in the Cotton Bowl.....if Western does that, then they certainly can make a legit claim to being the best MAC team ever so long as their final ranking is #10 or better.

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - Schadenfreude - 12-01-2016 08:05 PM

With that said, if Western Michigan were to actually win a Cotton Bowl? That would make more of a statement than Miami did in the 1973-75 Tangerine (Citrus) bowl games. Neither Florida nor Georgia nor South Carolina were as good in those days as Western Michigan's opponent likely would be in this year's Cotton Bowl.

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - Big_Man - 12-01-2016 09:13 PM

(11-28-2016 08:52 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Broncos have not had that difficult opponent though, that is a problem when talking about their historical rank

Coming from the guy who calls the MAC a gauntlet every chance he gets.

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - Kittonhead - 12-01-2016 10:19 PM

WMU wins the championship and its the first undefeated MAC team since 1999.

WMU has a chance to go 14-0, set the record for most wins ever and highest ranking ever for a MAC school within the Top 10 of a major poll.

They've had the best recruiting classes in the history of the MAC behind the rise of this team. Those 70's teams of Miami didn't have near the speed and size of the Miami teams of today.

Marshall's 1999 team had a great passing attack for the time in the MAC but didn't have the running game like WMU does to go with it.

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - wmubroncopilot - 12-02-2016 01:30 AM

I keep forgetting about late 90s Marshall, probably because they left the conference. Those were some ridiculously good MAC teams.

The Toledo and Miami teams from 50ish years ago are harder to quantify because of how the game has changed, IMO.

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - CincyKid3 - 12-02-2016 12:11 PM

WMU wins the championship and its the first undefeated MAC team since 1999.

Kitton wrote: WMU has a chance to go 14-0, set the record for most wins ever and highest ranking ever for a MAC school within the Top 10 of a major poll.

They've had the best recruiting classes in the history of the MAC behind the rise of this team. Those 70's teams of Miami didn't have near the speed and size of the Miami teams of today.

Marshall's 1999 team had a great passing attack for the time in the MAC but didn't have the running game like WMU does to go with it.

---------------------------------------------------------------
eCK: Kitton, I look at the "best MAC team ever" as to how that particular squad related to their era and specifically the year in question. I don't think it's really fair to try to compare different era's because of the size, speed and training regimen changes in the game that have resulted in the behemoth's that roam the sidelines today.

So, I look at how dominant the Miami, UT, Marshall and this year's WMU team were vs. their competition in their then present day. Again, I agree with the comments that if WMU gets to the Cotton Bowl they will have an opportunity to beat a better ranked opponent than the past great MAC teams. So, yes, if they win out including the Cotton, I am willling to crown them "best MAC team ever'. I will still have a fondness for the total defensive domination of the great Miami teams of the 70's (as I witnessed them play in person while in school), and the 32 PPG margin of victory that Big Ben and the Miami team of 2003 put up on MAC opponents.

But, I will certainly give WMU their "due" if they can win out including the Cotton, and hope that they crack the former "ceiling" of a #10 ranking that 3 MAC teams in history have attained.

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - eich41 - 12-02-2016 10:03 PM

(11-28-2016 12:24 PM)broncos1123 Wrote:  We are tied for first in the nation in turnover differential. That's the last thing that "scares" me as a WMU fan. Our QB has thrown one INT in 12 games for crying out loud... that's not "luck". That's talent.

(11-28-2016 12:37 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  Zach Terrell is a very smart QB and a very accurate passer. 1 INT. 71%+ completion percentage.

Most of our fumbles came in games that had terrible weather (Kent, UB). At Ford Field, turnovers are the last thing that concerns me.

Did you boys forget to knock on wood? ???

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - Stay Cool - 12-02-2016 10:17 PM

(12-02-2016 10:03 PM)eich41 Wrote:  
(11-28-2016 12:24 PM)broncos1123 Wrote:  We are tied for first in the nation in turnover differential. That's the last thing that "scares" me as a WMU fan. Our QB has thrown one INT in 12 games for crying out loud... that's not "luck". That's talent.

(11-28-2016 12:37 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  Zach Terrell is a very smart QB and a very accurate passer. 1 INT. 71%+ completion percentage.

Most of our fumbles came in games that had terrible weather (Kent, UB). At Ford Field, turnovers are the last thing that concerns me.

Did you boys forget to knock on wood? ???
Oh that's just plain damn funny

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - Warhawks222 - 12-02-2016 10:47 PM

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever?

Ummm... No.

Struggling to beat a not very good Ohio team by only 6 points does not make them the best team ever. Not even close.

RE: If WMU wins the MACC is it the best MAC team ever? - CincyKid3 - 12-02-2016 11:14 PM

Broncos can still stake their claim to be the greatest MAC team ever if (and now I mean if) they get a Cotton Bowl invite and win the game. If they don't, they will end up facing a bowl opponent far less formidable then Miami teams of the 70's faced in Florida, Georgia and So. Carolina. It really stinks that if WMU doesn't get the Cotton Bowl nod, they get a completely crap bowl match up. They'd be better off in a MAC bowl than the HOD against a team with a losing record that shouldn't even be in a bowl game.