CSNbbs
J Martin vs Milwaukee - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: J Martin vs Milwaukee (/thread-798852.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

J Martin vs Milwaukee - ncrdbl1 - 11-17-2016 03:57 AM

8 assist ZERO turnovers. That in itself would be great. But he also had 3 steals, 3 blocks and 4 rebounds to go with his 6 points.

And shot 60% from the field.

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - holyterror - 11-17-2016 04:22 AM

But but but he's only a 2-star (or maybe 3 star)!
Lotta these kids from smaller programs don't get much hype, even tho they can flat out play. I'm very glad for Jeremiah, and for the Tigers.

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - Brother Bluto - 11-17-2016 06:58 AM

Too bad he wasn't allowed to play for last season

He's a longer version of Elliot Perry on defense

Won't ever be the shooter EP was but reminds me of him on d

We have a great defensive starting backcourt

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - Tygrys - 11-17-2016 08:08 AM

(11-17-2016 03:57 AM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  8 assist ZERO turnovers. That in itself would be great. But he also had 3 steals, 3 blocks and 4 rebounds to go with his 6 points.

And shot 60% from the field.

He got it done in every facet of the game, great all around play.

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - TigerBlue4Ever - 11-17-2016 08:56 AM

there's a noticeable difference in the way these kids respond to Tubby over how they responded to Pastner. I'd take a whole stable of 2-3 star kids who are coachable and buy into a game plan over 4 star legends who are only interested in padding their stat columns.

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - TigerBlue4Ever - 11-17-2016 08:57 AM

Markel also looks like a different player.

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - Hoots - 11-17-2016 09:19 AM

(11-17-2016 08:56 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  there's a noticeable difference in the way these kids respond to Tubby over how they responded to Pastner. I'd take a whole stable of 2-3 star kids who are coachable and buy into a game plan over 4 star legends who are only interested in padding their stat columns.

YEP!! 04-rock

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - WColt45 - 11-17-2016 09:26 AM

(11-17-2016 08:57 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  Markel also looks like a different player.

Its amazing how much more confidence Markel and Jeremiah are playing with than they were under Pastner. They know Tubby will give them a chance and not pull them off the floor the first second they mess something up. Not to beat a dead horse, but Pastner constantly overreacted to mistakes and it got in his players' heads.

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - Hoots - 11-17-2016 09:32 AM

There was a great story several weeks ago about Markel being a different player this season, and it sure looks like that was spot on. Great to see him playing so well. JM can be a huge asset to this team, too. Fantastic to see him off to a solid start after wondering from game to game a year ago whether he'd see the floor. That must have been frustrating as hell for him. Oh, well. We move forward.

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - holyterror - 11-17-2016 09:37 AM

(11-17-2016 09:32 AM)Hoots Wrote:  There was a great story several weeks ago about Markel being a different player this season, and it sure looks like that was spot on. Great to see him playing so well. JM can be a huge asset to this team, too. Fantastic to see him off to a solid start after wondering from game to game a year ago whether he'd see the floor. That must have been frustrating as hell for him. Oh, well. We move forward.

It's cliche, but Martin plays "within himself".

And if markel can finally get that 3 ball going, look out!

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - salukiblue - 11-17-2016 09:40 AM

(11-17-2016 06:58 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  Too bad he wasn't allowed to play for last season

Well, he wasn't a very good shooter and Tarrant started, so there's that.

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - salukiblue - 11-17-2016 09:41 AM

(11-17-2016 09:26 AM)WColt45 Wrote:  
(11-17-2016 08:57 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  Markel also looks like a different player.

Its amazing how much more confidence Markel and Jeremiah are playing with than they were under Pastner. They know Tubby will give them a chance and not pull them off the floor the first second they mess something up. Not to beat a dead horse, but Pastner constantly overreacted to mistakes and it got in his players' heads.

In all fairness, Tubby has no choice since he went into the season with 8 D1 level players.

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - holyterror - 11-17-2016 09:43 AM

(11-17-2016 09:40 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  
(11-17-2016 06:58 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  Too bad he wasn't allowed to play for last season

I wonder if Avery Woodson misses us?

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - ballhog - 11-17-2016 09:56 AM

I don't think Markel is a "different" player this year. He showed flashes of brilliance in the past but for whatever reason was not allowed to stay on the floor for long enough periods of time to keep it going.

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - 450bench - 11-17-2016 10:23 AM

(11-17-2016 09:56 AM)ballhog Wrote:  I don't think Markel is a "different" player this year. He showed flashes of brilliance in the past but for whatever reason was not allowed to stay on the floor for long enough periods of time to keep it going.

Confidence, man, confidence

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - 450bench - 11-17-2016 10:27 AM

Martin is crazy fast...I don't know if you guys saw the fast break layup he had in the first half, I think, but his head was nearly rim high as he maneuvered around the kid from Milwaukee for the dunk/lay in...ridiculously athletic...I think he's going to be really, really good

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - HoopDreams - 11-17-2016 10:29 AM

(11-17-2016 08:56 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  there's a noticeable difference in the way these kids respond to Tubby over how they responded to Pastner. I'd take a whole stable of 2-3 star kids who are coachable and buy into a game plan over 4 star legends who are only interested in padding their stat columns.

Which makes it absolutely stunning the amount of folks that were nearly terrified about 'losing' Pastner.

I mean, there were months and months of arguing and hand-wringing...and some folks ardently defending a guy who simply can't coach well.

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - UpperTiger - 11-17-2016 10:30 AM

Pastner would have been so much better if he only had 7 or 8 players to use. For example, his first team at Memphis achieved reasonable success compared to expectations because he had to play those guys. He had no other options. His worst coaching trait is how he uses his rotation (or lack thereof). When he had a deep roster (i.e. Kuran and Nick King as freshmen), he didn't know how to handle it. Of course, when he didn't have depth, he could often still find a way to screw it up, i.e., playing D'marnier Cunningham and Sam Craft over Pookie and J-Martin, respectively.

Regarding Markel, TV last night showed Tubby pull him aside as Markel was taken out of the game once. Tubby gave him a word of advice, and Markel was actively listening, nodding his head, and had a pep in his step as he went to sit down. That just hasn't been the case on our sideline in a very long time. It certainly wasn't the case with Markel last season.

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - HoopDreams - 11-17-2016 10:32 AM

(11-17-2016 09:43 AM)holyterror Wrote:  
(11-17-2016 09:40 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  

I wonder if Avery Woodson misses us?

He's averaging 23 mpg and 6 ppg for 2-0 Butler, who just beat Northwestern last night.

RE: J Martin vs Milwaukee - HoopDreams - 11-17-2016 10:34 AM

(11-17-2016 10:27 AM)450bench Wrote:  Martin is crazy fast...I don't know if you guys saw the fast break layup he had in the first half, I think, but his head was nearly rim high as he maneuvered around the kid from Milwaukee for the dunk/lay in...ridiculously athletic...I think he's going to be really, really good

Really surprised by his athleticism.

If he could shoot from respectable percentages from outside, he'd be close to an all AAC type player from what I've seen early.

Let's see him against some comp first though.