CSNbbs
Thresher Article on JMU Game - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Thresher Article on JMU Game (/thread-798688.html)

Pages: 1 2

Thresher Article on JMU Game - Tiki Owl - 11-15-2016 09:08 PM

http://www.ricethresher.org/article/2016/11/basketball-lives-up-to-preseason-hype-in-season-opener

I expect to see a good student turnout tomorrow night. Alum/fan turnout not as much.

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - Fort Bend Owl - 11-15-2016 09:35 PM

The middle parts of Tudor might be more crowded than you think, although it may be as many TSU fans as Rice fans.

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - ExcitedOwl18 - 11-15-2016 10:02 PM

Why do y'all expect alum/fan turnout to be poor?

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - Da.Owl - 11-15-2016 10:10 PM

(11-15-2016 10:02 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Why do y'all expect alum/fan turnout to be poor?

Free tickets in Club 103 are attracting zero interest.

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - ExcitedOwl18 - 11-15-2016 10:15 PM

Fair point! I was listening to JK's Facebook Live chat with JP yesterday and was disappointed to hear that season ticket sales were only up 10% over last year. That would be great for a mature program, but would've thought our building program could've done better.

That is not meant to be a criticism of the department, rather a commentary on the lack of demand for Owls basketball.

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - waltgreenberg - 11-15-2016 10:56 PM

(11-15-2016 10:15 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Fair point! I was listening to JK's Facebook Live chat with JP yesterday and was disappointed to hear that season ticket sales were only up 10% over last year. That would be great for a mature program, but would've thought our building program could've done better.

That is not meant to be a criticism of the department, rather a commentary on the lack of demand for Owls basketball.

As has been reported elsewhere, several in the Athletic Department have confided that the poor showing by Rice football has adversely impacted MBB ticket sales. I suspect that will be cured with a good start to the season.

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - ExcitedOwl18 - 11-15-2016 11:15 PM

(11-15-2016 10:56 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(11-15-2016 10:15 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Fair point! I was listening to JK's Facebook Live chat with JP yesterday and was disappointed to hear that season ticket sales were only up 10% over last year. That would be great for a mature program, but would've thought our building program could've done better.

As has been reported elsewhere, several in the Athletic Department have confided that the poor showing by Rice football has adversely impacted MBB ticket sales. I suspect that will be cured with a good start to the season.

Interesting. First I had heard of that. Maybe an attitude of "I gave you all this money for football, and they sucked. So no 'soup' for you, basketball!"

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - Tiki Owl - 11-15-2016 11:18 PM

(11-15-2016 11:15 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  

Interesting. First I had heard of that. Maybe an attitude of "I gave you all this money for football, and they sucked. So no 'soup' for you, basketball!"

It has been discussed here a bit with the comment that penalizing Rhoades isn't a way to show support for him and could be a negative if he has another offer. All the things people want in a new football HC exists in Rhoades but let's go ahead and take our football frustration out on him.

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - cr11owl - 11-15-2016 11:41 PM

A full student section plus a 10% increase in season tickets should make Tudor pretty loud. If we play like we did @JMU we could start off the season on a nice win streak and I bet we would sell quite a few single game tickets or multi game ticket packs. Last season already seemed like a nice uptick from the Braun years.

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - WRCisforgotten79 - 11-15-2016 11:47 PM

(11-15-2016 11:18 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  

It has been discussed here a bit with the comment that penalizing Rhoades isn't a way to show support for him and could be a negative if he has another offer. All the things people want in a new football HC exists in Rhoades but let's go ahead and take our football frustration out on him.

Of course, back-to-back 12-20 seasons have nothing to do with a relative lack of enthusiasm ....

01-wingedeagle

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - ExcitedOwl18 - 11-15-2016 11:53 PM

(11-15-2016 11:41 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  

A full student section plus a 10% increase in season tickets should make Tudor pretty loud. If we play like we did @JMU we could start off the season on a nice win streak and I bet we would sell quite a few single game tickets or multi game ticket packs. Last season already seemed like a nice uptick from the Braun years.

Yeah, I just hope its better than the pathetic turnout we had against Oregon State last year. There were maybe 300 fans there besides the ~500 in the student section.

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - waltgreenberg - 11-16-2016 12:29 AM

(11-15-2016 11:47 PM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  

Of course, back-to-back 12-20 seasons have nothing to do with a relative lack of enthusiasm ....

01-wingedeagle

No, I don't think it has anything to do with it. Seriously. Did you go to any of the games last year? Despite being clearly undermanned, we played hard and aggressive. It was a style of play that is exciting to watch.

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - Bailiff_Lingo_Bingo - 11-16-2016 02:12 AM

(11-16-2016 12:29 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(11-15-2016 10:56 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  As has been reported elsewhere, several in the Athletic Department have confided that the poor showing by Rice football has adversely impacted MBB ticket sales. I suspect that will be cured with a good start to the season.

01-wingedeagle

No, I don't think it has anything to do with it. Seriously. Did you go to any of the games last year? Despite being clearly undermanned, we played hard and aggressive. It was a style of play that is exciting to watch.

I saw some of the games last year and I didn't find them especially exciting. It's frustrating to watch when there are only 1-2 legit scoring options and the ball is circulating until one of them is forced to create a shot. I think this year promises to be a lot more exciting, with more scoring options and an aggressive defense

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - WRCisforgotten79 - 11-16-2016 02:47 AM

(11-15-2016 11:47 PM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  Of course, back-to-back 12-20 seasons have nothing to do with a relative lack of enthusiasm ....

01-wingedeagle

That's not the point. A prior post lamented that there has been only a slight increase in season ticket sales. Implicit in that statement is that most, if not all, of prior ticket holders were reasonably satisfied and decided to renew.

Any increase, therefore, must come from those who weren't season ticket holders. I just do not believe that a 24-40 record over the past two seasons will entice many people to commit to a full season.

If, for example (talking in the abstract), the team had improved from 12-20 to, let's say, 17-15, then the marginal fan might say to himself/herself "this program is on the way - I'm going to get on board".

It is difficult, in a battle for the entertainment dollar, to sell Joe Fan on a program that seems, to the casual fan, to be stuck in neutral.

A quick and positive start to this season would cause an increase in ticket sales for the remainder of 2016-17. I'd gladly welcome the late-to-the-party, bandwagon fans.

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - waltgreenberg - 11-16-2016 09:10 AM

(11-16-2016 02:47 AM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  
(11-15-2016 11:47 PM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  Of course, back-to-back 12-20 seasons have nothing to do with a relative lack of enthusiasm ....

01-wingedeagle

That's not the point. A prior post lamented that there has been only a slight increase in season ticket sales. Implicit in that statement is that most, if not all, of prior ticket holders were reasonably satisfied and decided to renew.

Any increase, therefore, must come from those who weren't season ticket holders. I just do not believe that a 24-40 record over the past two seasons will entice many people to commit to a full season.

If, for example (talking in the abstract), the team had improved from 12-20 to, let's say, 17-15, then the marginal fan might say to himself/herself "this program is on the way - I'm going to get on board".

It is difficult, in a battle for the entertainment dollar, to sell Joe Fan on a program that seems, to the casual fan, to be stuck in neutral.

A quick and positive start to this season would cause an increase in ticket sales for the remainder of 2016-17. I'd gladly welcome the late-to-the-party, bandwagon fans.

Again, from what we are hearing from numerous sources within the Athletic Department, they are hearing directly from numerous fans and prospective new season ticketholders that they were not purchasing MBB season tickets specifically because of the downward spiral in the football program. Shu and his ticket sales team make calls to Owl Club members and anyone who is a season ticketholder in any of the other sports....so they would have first hand knowledge of why season ticket sales are running below goals.

BTW, most fans with any knowledge of the situation understood that last year was going to be VERY difficult given the preseason injuries to both Lott (projected to be a starter) and Jackson (selected preseason first team all-conference), and the reality that we had only 3 returning players on the roster.

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - OptimisticOwl - 11-16-2016 09:14 AM

(11-16-2016 09:10 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(11-16-2016 02:47 AM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  

01-wingedeagle

Again, from what we are hearing from numerous sources within the Athletic Department, they are hearing directly from numerous fans and prospective new season ticketholders that they were not purchasing MBB season tickets specifically because of the downward spiral in the football program. Shu and his ticket sales team make calls to Owl Club members and anyone who is a season ticketholder in any of the other sports....so they would have first hand knowledge of why season ticket sales are running below goals.

There has been a spate of people saying they are withholding financial support until they get what they want in football. I suppose this attitude would have some carryover into other sports and the General Fund. I thought that was the intent - to have their concerns be noticed by causing financial pain. I guess it is working.

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - GoodOwl - 11-16-2016 10:42 AM

01-wingedeagle

It's very early, but do you expect we'll go near 12-20 again this season?

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - WRCisforgotten79 - 11-16-2016 10:45 AM

(11-16-2016 09:10 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Again, from what we are hearing from numerous sources within the Athletic Department, they are hearing directly from numerous fans and prospective new season ticketholders that they were not purchasing MBB season tickets specifically because of the downward spiral in the football program. Shu and his ticket sales team make calls to Owl Club members and anyone who is a season ticketholder in any of the other sports....so they would have first hand knowledge of why season ticket sales are running below goals.

BTW, most fans with any knowledge of the situation understood that last year was going to be VERY difficult given the preseason injuries to both Lott (projected to be a starter) and Jackson (selected preseason first team all-conference), and the reality that we had only 3 returning players on the roster.

1. It is much easier to be "principled" regarding a perceived football program issue when the basketball team has gone 12-20 and 12-20. Are you really giving up anything when you are foregoing a team with a 37.5 "winning" percentage?

2. You are assuming that the alumni being contacted are as intimately aware as you are, of the basketball personnel. I don't see that as a reasonable assumption, and hence, don't believe that they feel any sacrifice in not buying tickets.

3. Unless you give specific details, however, I cannot accept your third-hand reports as being trustworthy, any more than your reckless claim (again, without sourcing) that the Athletic Director was told last year (by ???) not to make a change in the football program.

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - GoodOwl - 11-16-2016 10:46 AM

(11-15-2016 09:08 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  http://www.ricethresher.org/article/2016/11/basketball-lives-up-to-preseason-hype-in-season-opener

I expect to see a good student turnout tomorrow night. Alum/fan turnout not as much.

Back in the Jungle Gym days, when the Blue Curtain was around, the students sat on the side below the band behind the opponent's bench. As Scott Thompson's teams got better, the student turnout increased dramatically. Several games the opponents had to move timeout meetings and chairs to mid-court to escape the raucous fans noise and enthusiasm.

Q: If student turnout rises significantly, are there provisions for letting them sit anywhere other than the one new section behind the goal? especially if there are sideline seas not being sold/used I would think it'd be better to have more students spread around, at least for a while.

RE: Thresher Article on JMU Game - RiceFootball2K5 - 11-16-2016 10:48 AM

01-wingedeagle

So does our weak home schedule. I know the reasons for it, but I still can't get excited about going up to Tudor to see many of these games.