CSNbbs
Building a bridge with former players? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt West Team Talk (/forum-290.html)
+----- Forum: Southern Miss (/forum-447.html)
+----- Thread: Building a bridge with former players? (/thread-797517.html)

Pages: 1 2

Building a bridge with former players? - TalonTed - 11-08-2016 12:28 PM

I have always wondered why former players aren't more involved at USM. Some of them are to a certain extent but your rank and file players by and large don't come back and are not involved in USM athletics. I read the post below by former WR Gerald Baptiste and it has me concerned. Are we not embracing our former players? They can definitely affect whether a recruit considers us.

The post below was also followed by agreement from dozens of former players.

[attachment=8424]

What do you guys think? Is this a contributing factor as to why we aren't more talented recruits?

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - va-eagle - 11-08-2016 12:37 PM

(11-08-2016 12:28 PM)TalonTed Wrote:  I have always wondered why former players aren't more involved at USM. Some of them are to a certain extent but your rank and file players by and large don't come back and are not involved in USM athletics. I read the post below by former WR Gerald Baptiste and it has me concerned. Are we not embracing our former players? They can definitely affect whether a recruit considers us.

The post below was also followed by agreement from dozens of former players.

What do you guys think? Is this a contributing factor as to why we aren't more talented recruits?

He sounds upset about not being allowed to hangout on the sideline during games.

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - Nugget's Ghost - 11-08-2016 01:08 PM

...I know a fund raiser who was always allowed on the sidelines during home games. they took his and many other donors and fund raisers credentials away...pissed them off too...Fedora told him to come over the NC and he would allow him on his sideline anytime...and you wonder why people are not giving anymore.

Just one look at our sideline of a Home game will tell you this....you see media and that's about it...you look at the sidelines of other school's like bama and LSU and you have donor, fund people, and past players lining all the way down to the endzone line and out the back of it......

Hell, it doesn't have to be a big school...look at the sidelines of just about any school and you will see people and past players down the sidelines...you ever see the TV commentators show a past athlete on TV for SM like you see all the time for other schools??....no, never...cause they ain't there.

these people we have here, I swear.

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - Nugget's Ghost - 11-08-2016 01:36 PM

..but make another RISE video...Yell Tippy Top....you let me know how far that get's ya in the business of collegiate football.....I tell ya where it gets ya...to the bottom of CUSA and no way in hell out.

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - HarborPointe - 11-08-2016 03:04 PM

If it's just a matter of access/hospitality--letting guys on the sideline or, say, allowing them use of of the weight room when it's otherwise available--then that should be addressed. Those kinds of things cost nothing and can only help the program in the long run.

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - TalonTed - 11-08-2016 04:44 PM

(11-08-2016 03:04 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  If it's just a matter of access/hospitality--letting guys on the sideline or, say, allowing them use of of the weight room when it's otherwise available--then that should be addressed. Those kinds of things cost nothing and can only help the program in the long run.

Agreed. It seems as though it would take more time and effort to block said access than to allow it. It makes you scratch your head.

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - stinkfist - 11-08-2016 04:54 PM

(11-08-2016 03:04 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  If it's just a matter of access/hospitality--letting guys on the sideline or, say, allowing them use of of the weight room when it's otherwise available--then that should be addressed. Those kinds of things cost nothing and can only help the program in the long run.

if all of this is true, then w/o question it's an SMH all day long....

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - va-eagle - 11-08-2016 05:38 PM

(11-08-2016 01:08 PM)Nuggets Ghost Wrote:  ...I know a fund raiser who was always allowed on the sidelines during home games. they took his and many other donors and fund raisers credentials away...pissed them off too...Fedora told him to come over the NC and he would allow him on his sideline anytime...and you wonder why people are not giving anymore.

Just one look at our sideline of a Home game will tell you this....you see media and that's about it...you look at the sidelines of other school's like bama and LSU and you have donor, fund people, and past players lining all the way down to the endzone line and out the back of it......

Hell, it doesn't have to be a big school...look at the sidelines of just about any school and you will see people and past players down the sidelines...you ever see the TV commentators show a past athlete on TV for SM like you see all the time for other schools??....no, never...cause they ain't there.

these people we have here, I swear.

Not disagreeing, but when they show a past athlete it was a 1st round draft pick. Anybody just don't get access. Not trying to defend USM's antics and wish we did more things to appeal to big donors.

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - Eagle9 - 11-08-2016 05:45 PM

I don't think they block access. I think the issue is that they don't really reach out and invite back players that were just average joes and have them hanging around all the time. IMO one problem is that we have had so much change in leadership the last several years that there just aren't those relationships in place. Bill Mcgillis doesn't know those guys from 2003 or 2011 unless they were standouts. To be honest nobody affiliated with the program would know them. I know Hopson has made a big effort to bring guys back.

And like another person said, when you see those guys on the Alabama or USC sideline, it's always somebody that's a big name. You don't see career special teams players.

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - stinkfist - 11-08-2016 06:29 PM

(11-08-2016 05:45 PM)Eagle9 Wrote:  I don't think they block access. I think the issue is that they don't really reach out and invite back players that were just average joes and have them hanging around all the time. IMO one problem is that we have had so much change in leadership the last several years that there just aren't those relationships in place. Bill Mcgillis doesn't know those guys from 2003 or 2011 unless they were standouts. To be honest nobody affiliated with the program would know them. I know Hopson has made a big effort to bring guys back.

And like another person said, when you see those guys on the Alabama or USC sideline, it's always somebody that's a big name. You don't see career special teams players.

wouldn't one assume that relationships that have been developed or could be, would be outlined by their predecessor or from previous experiences in that job capacity? (I have zero clue who is responsible for outlining that guideline)

while there is no questioning you can't let everyone and their 3rd cousin on the sidelines, a minimum standard should be an outlined and defined at this point....

any way you cut it, it's either piss poor management skills or just another twitter twat rant....

the university should handle this internally and be done with it....

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - Nugget's Ghost - 11-08-2016 07:31 PM

...Ediots couldn't even get the Military flyover at the Charlotte game right, plane missed the whole damm stadium Wide Right....just dammit to hell.

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - Black Diamond Reb - 11-08-2016 08:34 PM

(11-08-2016 06:29 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  The university should handle this.

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - Nugget's Ghost - 11-08-2016 09:14 PM

Quote:Now why would I donate to a program that treats me like I never once was part of the largest revenue generator for the institution?
Why would I convince any kid from EDNA KARR, which happens to have a long line of talented players to play at USM, to attend school there?
- Gerald Baptiste

go look at his facebook thread...https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=42804939&fref=ts go look at the dozens of former players and coaches and others that have commented agreeing with what he is saying....The man speaks the truth. I've been seein this crap for years and much more.

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - Nugget's Ghost - 11-08-2016 09:24 PM

Quote:Southern Miss as a whole is a terrible institution. Horrible people in administrational positions.
- Brennan Tracy.

damm, this kid sound exactly like me.

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - Nugget's Ghost - 11-08-2016 09:27 PM

Quote:Why do you think I left? It was a terrible family behind the scenes.
- Ryan Paul

Preach it brotha Ryan!!

ya'll need to go read that thread....most of you ediots need a dose of reality.

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - Black Diamond Reb - 11-08-2016 09:30 PM

(11-08-2016 09:14 PM)Nuggets Ghost Wrote:  I've been seein this crap for years and much more.

You should raise some money and buy PockCone a ticket.

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - Nugget's Ghost - 11-08-2016 10:29 PM

...no comments from these people on here about this....hmmm....

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - Eagle9 - 11-08-2016 10:44 PM

The leadership at the school has changed several times since many of those people were around. I don't buy all of it. Some of them may have legitimate beefs. But I think many are whining because they don't get to feel special anymore.

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - Nugget's Ghost - 11-08-2016 10:47 PM

(11-08-2016 10:44 PM)Eagle9 Wrote:  The leadership at the school has changed several times since many of those people were around. I don't buy all of it. Some of them may have legitimate beefs. But I think many are whining because they don't get to feel special anymore.

...oh is that what it is?....oh ok.

RE: Building a bridge with former players? - 99beers - 11-08-2016 11:27 PM

what I see is a bunch of cry babies who probably didn't get there degrees.........It's all Usm fault. I don't put much credence in what DBrown said. He was a piece of ****. Many of those players replying I have never heard of.

As I'm sure usm could do more, most of what you are reading is hard feelings bullcrap, either from wash outs, or those that left on bad terms......

I am sure there are exceptions.

The free room, board, meals, and education just wasn't enough for them.