CSNbbs
SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SoConbbs (/forum-266.html)
+---- Forum: SoCon Team Talk (/forum-944.html)
+----- Forum: ETSU (/forum-335.html)
+------ Forum: Buc Basketball (/forum-339.html)
+------ Thread: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon (/thread-796022.html)

Pages: 1 2

SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - swvabucsfan - 10-27-2016 10:22 AM

SoCon preseason coaches poll is hard to argue with: Chattanooga and Mercer battle for first with 47 and 45 points. Samford (32), ETSU (31) and Furman (30) make up the middle. Western Carolina, UNCG and Wofford lag badly at the bottom. Shamauria Bridges and Tiana Tartar are 2 of the top 3 returning scorers in the SoCon and are picked to reprise their All-SoCon status.
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=211254991

The media poll is very much the same.
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=211254989

The Bucs have a highly touted incoming class with All Tennessee post player 6'2" Anajae Stephney, All North Carolina guard Jada Craig, and the Marosites twins led by 2 time Tennessee 'AA' POY Kayla, as well as two transfers in 6'1" Morgan Martin and 5'10" JUCO guard Micah Norris. They could do much better than predicted if this group proves out.

Predicted Order of Finish
Team (1st-Place Votes) Total
1. Chattanooga (5) 47
2. Mercer (3) 45
3. Samford 32
4. ETSU 31
5. Furman 30
6. Western Carolina 17
7. UNCG 12
8. Wofford 10

2016-17 Preseason All-Conference Team
Shamauria Bridges, ETSU
Tianna Tarter, ETSU
Whitney Bunn, Furman
Kahlia Lawrence, Mercer
Sydni Means, Mercer
Hannah Nichols, Samford
Queen Alford, Chattanooga
Jasmine Joyner, Chattanooga
Keiana Gilbert, Chattanooga
Ace Easter, Western Carolina

2016-17 Preseason Player of the Year
Jasmine Joyner, Chattanooga

SoCon Women’s Basketball Predicted Order of Finish – Media Poll
Team (1st-Place Votes) Total
1. Chattanooga (11) 122
2. Mercer (5) 114
3. Samford 89
4. ETSU 80
5. Furman 74
6. Western Carolina 45
7. Wofford 31
8. UNCG 21

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - Buccaneerlover - 10-27-2016 03:11 PM

I''m going to be brutally honest here, the expectation based on where women's basketball is on the tiering of our sports, we need results. 4th place isn't the top tier, and we're not the Flint Tropics. I'm sure Coach Ezell and her staff are aware of that going into year four. Predicted order finish may be about right, but they need to take a step forward and exceed expectations.

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - queenladybug817 - 10-27-2016 03:30 PM

This team has potential, but there are a LOT of newcomers. Mercer and UTC will be tough again, as usual, but we have the talent to be on par.

A lot will depend on injuries and the team coming together. I'm hoping the tough OOC schedule will be good pressure and pull them together well. I expect a decent amount of losses in the OOC, since it is a really tough one and we play so many good teams so early. But if that forces them to get it together before conference play, I'll take them.

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - posterformerlyknownasthedoctor - 12-14-2016 03:20 AM

I don't care what league you're in, this is impressive:

Tarter named POW 3rd week in a row

She's fillin' it up.
From JC Press:

Quote:The Johnson City, Tenn., native has recorded six straight games of at least 20 points and back-to-back 30 point performances. In her previous contest at Tennessee Tech, Tarter earned her sixth career double-double with 30 points and 10 rebounds.
Against Vanderbilt, Tarter had a career-night scoring a career-high 35 points on 15-of-29 shooting from the field. The 35 points was the most scored by a SoCon player this season while the 15 made field goals ranks as second most in the NCAA this season. Within the SoCon Tarter has four of the top ten highest scoring performances this season.

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - swvabucsfan - 12-14-2016 08:13 AM

And not just scoring: 5.5 rebounds from the 5'6" guard, 4.4 assists and 2.6 steals.

The Lady Bucs are a work in progress with some very positive signs. Scoring margin is up to +2.5 from -1.8 last year. Defense is better with t.o. margin up to 3.63 from 0.4 and steals to 8.5 from 6.7. Opponents three's have dropped to .266 from .317. Rebounding is worse though, with -2.7 from +1.3 last year.

Shamauria Bridges is smoking from 3 at .403 (31-77) - she fires them up instantly from long range with total confidence. When you're .403, you've always got the green light. Raven Dean is much more effective at getting the ball in the basket (8.0 points to 4.1) though still not as polished as she will be. When her game fully catches up with her physique, look out SoCon. 5-10 JUCO Guard Micah Norris has been a great early season addition with 5.2 points on .400 (6-15) from 3 and 3.2 rebounds in 17 minutes. Malloree Shurr plays a furious hustle game.

Mercer has been strong early (8-2) while Chattanooga has struggled at 5-6 with a much tougher schedule (Rutgers, a win, Connecticut, Louisville, Florida, Indiana and 8-0 Green Bay, the #1 ranked Women's Mid major! And Notre Dame and FGCU still to come.). If the Lady Bucs continue to move forward, this could be a good year for them. Everything depends on developing a strong TEAM so that we don't see everybody collapsing on Tarter when we hit the SoCon. We can't play her 40 minutes every night... or can we?

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - swvabucsfan - 12-14-2016 03:32 PM

Tianna Tarter's 21.4 points per game are tied for 12th nationally in Women's D1. http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-women/d1/current/individual/102
Shamauria's 31 made 3's are tied for 20th. http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-women/d1/current/individual/1007

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - posterformerlyknownasthedoctor - 01-29-2017 04:50 PM

ETSU womenfolk won their fourth in a row yesterday, but the remarkable thing was a 20-pt. comeback from being down in the second quarter. And yes, Tianna Tarter continues to rack up impressive accomplishments.

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - etsubuc - 01-29-2017 06:37 PM

UTC and Mercer are the clear best two teams in the conference and we don't seem to be competitive with them, but we do seem to be the 3rd best team in what appears to be a very top heavy league.

Tarter is an amazing player, my concern is that there are times that the only players who can score are Tarter and Bridges. There are entire quarters where the game plan is to give to Tarter and let her drive and get fouled while everyone else stands around. To be competitive with the top 2 teams in the conference, we need a more balanced attack. The Elizabethton twins haven't yet been able to contribute as much as I thought they would, but they are freshman...

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - posterformerlyknownasthedoctor - 01-29-2017 07:14 PM

(01-29-2017 06:37 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  UTC and Mercer are the clear best two teams in the conference and we don't seem to be competitive with them, but we do seem to be the 3rd best team in what appears to be a very top heavy league.

Tarter is an amazing player, my concern is that there are times that the only players who can score are Tarter and Bridges. There are entire quarters where the game plan is to give to Tarter and let her drive and get fouled while everyone else stands around. To be competitive with the top 2 teams in the conference, we need a more balanced attack. The Elizabethton twins haven't yet been able to contribute as much as I thought they would, but they are freshman...

Well..........while that's mostly true.......

"For the second time since Jan.21 freshman Kelci Marosites (Elizabethton, Tenn.) scored in double digits with 11 points off the bench on 4-of-5 shooting from the field. Through the first 19 games of the season Marosites scored 11 points but in the last three games has tallied 32 points." [ETSUbucs.com]

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - posterformerlyknownasthedoctor - 02-28-2017 11:48 AM

All-Conference honors:

Tarter, Bridges, and Dean

Buried WAY WAY down at the bottom: "Mercer guard Kahlia Lawrence was named SoCon Player of the Year...." -- along with all the other individual honors/selections.

You can bet that if an ETSU player was POY, it wouldn't be so buried.

Dang it you homers - it's ok, and expected, to laud ETSU stuff, but AT LEAST make it a *little* resemble reporting instead of pure homerism. You just lose credibility the extreme one-sided way these things are often written. You can do better than this, Mike.

I know - the name was changed from "SID" to "Media Relations", but come on - have a little respect for the accomplishments of others. Or *really* be genuine and change it back to real "sports information". The truth may not always be pleasant, but really, we can handle it.

All that said, Congrats to Tarter, Bridges, and Dean!

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - queenladybug817 - 02-28-2017 12:32 PM

As many times as Tiana got Player of the Week this year, I expected she would have been selected Player of the Year. She totally deserved it.

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - etsubuc - 02-28-2017 03:17 PM

(02-28-2017 12:32 PM)queenladybug817 Wrote:  As many times as Tiana got Player of the Week this year, I expected she would have been selected Player of the Year. She totally deserved it.

That is exactly right. Without her the women's team would likely be down in the lower tier of the conference with Samford and Wofford

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - posterformerlyknownasthedoctor - 02-28-2017 04:57 PM

(02-28-2017 12:32 PM)queenladybug817 Wrote:  As many times as Tiana got Player of the Week this year, I expected she would have been selected Player of the Year. She totally deserved it.

From what I was reading, I knew that was a possibility, but suspected it wasn't going to happen. I haven't seen Lawrence play, so maybe she's that good, too.

BUT......the point of me going off on the 'news' announcement was that Ezell had been pushing for her to get it, and it seemed as tho the athletics administration had bought into that, touting her as "All-American hopeful". So certainly the selection was an "item" to note, whichever way it went. The fact that since Tarter *didn't* get it, that they buried the other girl's achievement at the bottom speaks VERY poorly of the credibility of the ETSU sports spin machine. IMO.

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - Wadood Abides - 02-28-2017 06:59 PM

(02-28-2017 11:48 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  All-Conference honors:

Buried WAY WAY down at the bottom: "Mercer guard Kahlia Lawrence was named SoCon Player of the Year...." -- along with all the other individual honors/selections.

Dang it you homers - it's ok, and expected, to laud ETSU stuff, but AT LEAST make it a *little* resemble reporting instead of pure homerism. You just lose credibility the extreme one-sided way these things are often written. You can do better than this, Mike.

I know - the name was changed from "SID" to "Media Relations", but come on - have a little respect for the accomplishments of others. Or *really* be genuine and change it back to real "sports information". The truth may not always be pleasant, but really, we can handle it.

The website is etsubucs.com not the New York Times or even the Johnson City Press. Every webpost article there is for Bucs interest and it had the exact content that it should have had. They didn't bury anything. It is ETSU news for ETSU fans. WTF would the university sports website have a headline or even an emphasis on players from other schools? All of the All-Conference names were listed.

Find another university sports website that has a glowing article or emphasis about a player for another school.

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - RodShaw2 - 02-28-2017 07:57 PM

(02-28-2017 06:59 PM)Wadood Abides Wrote:  
(02-28-2017 11:48 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  All-Conference honors:

The website is etsubucs.com not the New York Times or even the Johnson City Press. Every webpost article there is for Bucs interest and it had the exact content that it should have had. They didn't bury anything. It is ETSU news for ETSU fans. WTF would the university sports website have a headline or even an emphasis on players from other schools? All of the All-Conference names were listed.

Find another university sports website that has a glowing article or emphasis about a player for another school.

I agree that MIGHT be the dumbest thing I have seen someone on this site complain about, hell it was something that he isn't named used to do. Bad flashback. An ETSU website writes an article focused on ETSU players. Someone must investigate... I know a cabbie probably looking for a job.

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - RodShaw2 - 02-28-2017 08:00 PM

Just for fun I checked Furman, they NEVER mentioned who won POY or FOY, they did list the teams at the bottom but it wasn't actually in the article.

http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/w-baskbl/2016-17/releases/20170228gjzyhe

And wait what did Chattanooga do.. Hmm 10th? paragraph they do mention. scroll down, you will find it.

http://www.gomocs.com/news/2017/2/28/basketball-w-joyner-named-socon-defensive-player-of-the-year-four-more-honored.aspx

UNC-G (Bite me)

Hmm throw away paragraph at the bottom.

http://www.uncgspartans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=810490&SPID=137661&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211508589&DB_OEM_ID=32200

I am sensing a trend..

Former will be happy to know that the SoCon website led with her

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=211508399

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - Buccaneerlover - 02-28-2017 08:17 PM

(02-28-2017 07:57 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  
(02-28-2017 06:59 PM)Wadood Abides Wrote:  

I agree that MIGHT be the dumbest thing I have seen someone on this site complain about, hell it was something that he isn't named used to do. Bad flashback. An ETSU website writes an article focused on ETSU players. Someone must investigate... I know a cabbie probably looking for a job.

Keep your radio off if you're ever around Erwin...

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - posterformerlyknownasthedoctor - 03-01-2017 03:54 AM

SIGH....................

It doesn't really do us/me any good to go over this again. You all and I just disagree about this. Rather than re-write stuff I've already written in the past, I'll just re-post in a second post after this one. But, in summary:

1. For one thing, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT EVERYBODY ELSE DOES. Like my daddy used to say, "Just because somebody jumps off a cliff, does that mean you have to, too?" If something is wrong, it's wrong. No amount of "acceptance" by however many people make something that's wrong into something that's right.

2. EVEN THOUGH they changed the title from "Sports Information Director" to "Athletics Media Relations", it doesn't change what they *SHOULD* be doing. They have the megaphone - they can spread whatever they want, but I've always been an advocate for the WHOLE truth - not just snippets that fit your side of the story. (The likely unemployed cabbie-wannabe-sportswriter can attest to that. If he was truthful, that is. But we digress.) That's too easy to turn into "alternate facts". (And no, I'm in no way accusing Mike White of doing *that*, but he is a big part of the problem when he plays that game.)

3. In this particular case, ETSU MADE THIS AN ISSUE by promoting Tarter's candidacy - both Ezell and "Media Relations" did. Therefore.....they should lay that out there with at least as much ink as they promoted Tarter's candidacy.
How about some headline like "Despite not winning POY, Tiana Tarter selected to first team All-Conference". Something like that but maybe a bit more polished.
[They used to post the voting totals, but looks like they don't do that anymore.]

4a. If several thousand people - or several hundred - attend an event, it becomes NEWS - not just a source of propaganda for the school, or city, or company, or country. It's NEWS. You can disseminate a positive story, but make it NEWS, not propaganda. Just because you're *not* the NY Times doesn't mean you can't give the whole truth a bit more of an airing. You're not Pravda, either. Don't be ashamed of the truth.

4b. Ok, I can't believe this, but *the very first* story I clicked on from the etsubucs site is this:

ETSU women's golf story - with NO WINNERS LISTED

Yes, there's a link there on the site (which in the old days wasn't possible), but the winners, both individual and team, should absolutely be in the main story body. As should the number of teams. Did ETSU finish 4th out of 4 teams? Out of 5 teams? Out of 12 teams? IT MATTERS. Inquiring minds want to know. Without context and reference points, finishing 2nd (individual), or 4th (team) has much less meaning. Has John Cathey's ghost returned to inhabit Mike White? I thought he/we had gotten past this.

5. My overall point --- that ETSU (or any school) can post good stuff about aspects and events that show the school in a positive light, but not make it overly homer-ish. Don't you all get that doing that loses credibility? As my re-posted comments following this will show -- CONTEXT is very, very important.

Ok, enough. I was gonna re-post my comments from back in the past here, but I'll do that in a follow-up post. And yes, I'm passionate about this because truth and misrepresentation are involved. Us idealists are just wired that way. Sorry.

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - posterformerlyknownasthedoctor - 03-01-2017 04:12 AM

These three following posts are mine from earlier on this board. I believe there were others on the old board, but....doesn't matter.
I'll leave contextual content intact, as in this first one where I'm responding to Buccaneerlover. My comments at the time are in blue. Enjoy.......(LOL)

3-27-09

[quote='Buccaneerlover' pid='4150082' dateline='1238178901']
It's the job of ETSU to send out releases reporting their results in a manner that represents the university in the most positive light they can, it's the job of a reporter giving that news to SHOW UP at the event and report on it in an independent manner, whether it's basketball or tennis. [quote]

Well..........I won't strictly disagree with that. But, ETSU used to, and possibly(?) still does, put out releases which only give how they finished in some event, like a golf tournament. They used to say things like "ETSU's golfers finished 3rd in a tournament in Southern Pines, NC over the weekend......" ....and then give the highlights of the ETSU golfers - what they shot, etc. WITHOUT EVEN MENTIONING WHO WON THE TOURNAMENT! I think they don't do that anymore. I think White is more professional in that respect than John Cathey, for example, was.

Also, it is no excuse to do something because everybody else does it. That doesn't in the least make it right. Once again, my idealistic viewpoint......

I would argue that the homeristic-type press releases help feed the culture of distrust that has settled over the Athletic Administration. If they were more 'honest' in all things, then their relationship with the fans would be much more solid and trusting.

I see Mike White almost in the same capacity as a White House press secretary. They often try to do a good job, but are handicapped by the lack of full information they are given. At the same time, they are part of, and have bought into (have drunk the Kool-Aid of) the culture of the organization they have chosen to be a part of.
==============

1-13-11

I remember Cathey all too well, and never liked his way of doing things. WAY too much a homer - almost like a circus promoter. But at least he did work extremely hard to get the ink. BUT - as I've said many times, it shouldn't be that way. It's news! Actual reporters should cover these things, and write actual articles on the events - pro *and* con.
ETSU should send in news items about lectures, workshops, cultural happenings, etc......but they shouldn't *have* to for big sporting events.
==============

3-7-16

RE: Steve Forbes first season a wild success
(03-07-2016 08:59 AM)

RodShaw2 Wrote:  
I have to admit I am getting tired of hearing how ETSU won 14 conference games, 2nd most ever in the SoCon even the announcers tonight jumped on that bandwagon. Great, nice.. very misleading. When we were in the SoCon before we were only playing 14 or 16 games, we are playing 18 now. We went 14-4. Bartow went 15-1.
Robinson went 12-2 his last year, LeForce went 11-3 and 12-2 the next two years. Forget wins,, what is the winning percentage.

I *KNEW* this would happen. I almost just wrote it out in my post as a prediction. There's nothing wrong with seeing the glass 90% full and 10% empty at the same time. It's just a more complete and nuanced view of reality. But more globally......ETSU just historically does this. I used to complain all the time back when John Cathey was SID about the golf scores - they used to say what place ETSU placed in ("ETSU finished fourth in the Beach Shores Classic"), without a mention of how many teams were even in the field, or even who won the thing! Fortunately it's normally not that bad these days, although with track results it almost is.

It's certainly ok to toot one's own horn just a bit, but CONTEXT is important!!

RE: SoCon Womens' Coaches Poll - ETSU 4th; Tartar and Bridges All SoCon - RodShaw2 - 03-01-2017 07:40 AM

Nope not going to wade through all that.
The post on ETSU (And the other sites) are releases about ETSU related matters, Not Newspaper articles. Big difference.
They DO give all the information but they but put ETSU front and center, since people have made a the choice to go to the ETSU site
that means they want information abut ETSU. The stuff on ETSU's website should be 90% or more about ETSU.