CSNbbs
Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt (/thread-795361.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - Artemis Silver Bow - 10-21-2016 10:46 AM

At the current state we are in what would have to happen for a sunbelt school to go to a higher profile bowl game(non sunbelt tie-in) or an access bowl?

Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - WolfBird - 10-21-2016 10:47 AM

Anarchy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - Usajags - 10-21-2016 10:49 AM

(10-21-2016 10:46 AM)Artemis Silver Bow Wrote:  At the current state we are in what would have to happen for a sunbelt school to go to a higher profile bowl game(non sunbelt tie-in) or an access bowl?

It would take a P5 conference not having enough bowl eligible teams to fill their slots. Could happen if two teams from the same P5 conference gets into the playoffs.

RE: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - Artemis Silver Bow - 10-21-2016 10:52 AM

(10-21-2016 10:49 AM)Usajags Wrote:  
(10-21-2016 10:46 AM)Artemis Silver Bow Wrote:  At the current state we are in what would have to happen for a sunbelt school to go to a higher profile bowl game(non sunbelt tie-in) or an access bowl?

It would take a P5 conference not having enough bowl eligible teams to fill their slots. Could happen if two teams from the same P5 conference gets into the playoffs.

Is it possible for a Sunbelt school to get into an access bowl?

RE: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - BurlingtonApp - 10-21-2016 10:57 AM

(10-21-2016 10:52 AM)Artemis Silver Bow Wrote:  
(10-21-2016 10:49 AM)Usajags Wrote:  

Is it possible for a Sunbelt school to get into an access bowl?

Troy is probably the only one with a chance, and they'll have to win out and hope Boise and WMU both lose. And Houston doesn't win their conference.

RE: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - EigenEagle - 10-21-2016 11:11 AM

We whiffed on our coaching hire, Ark State decided to not hold a real preseason camp until week 5, and App State and Troy scheduled too difficult Power 5 games. Not much of a chance for this league.

If Houston somehow doesn't win the AAC then Western Michigan or Boise will get it.

RE: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - OsageJ - 10-21-2016 11:17 AM

(10-21-2016 11:11 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  We whiffed on our coaching hire, Ark State decided to not hold a real preseason camp until week 5, and App State and Troy scheduled too difficult Power 5 games. Not much of a chance for this league.

If Houston somehow doesn't win the AAC then Western Michigan or Boise will get it.

I think that may be about as good an explanation into our difficulties as I have seen.

RE: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - eaglewraith - 10-21-2016 11:29 AM

(10-21-2016 11:17 AM)OsageJ Wrote:  
(10-21-2016 11:11 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  We whiffed on our coaching hire, Ark State decided to not hold a real preseason camp until week 5, and App State and Troy scheduled too difficult Power 5 games. Not much of a chance for this league.

I think that may be about as good an explanation into our difficulties as I have seen.

All 3 of those still have to play conference championship games. It would be quite easy for chaos to occur.

Remember only conference champions are considered.

RE: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - EigenEagle - 10-21-2016 11:33 AM

It will take something like this for the Sun Belt champ to get the Access Bowl.....

[Image: speed-skating-crash.gif]

RE: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - JCGSU - 10-21-2016 11:38 AM

Access bowl was gone as soon as any Belt team had one loss or until Boise, WMU or Houston has more than 2 losses.

You are not going to leap frog another conference for a better bowl unless they have a shortage of 6 win teams.

Until we are sniffing AAC respect and win OOC games, a Belt team will likely have to go undefeated and or have early loss to a good team you can recover from and huge late great P5 win.

RE: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - Artemis Silver Bow - 10-21-2016 11:41 AM

(10-21-2016 11:29 AM)eaglewraith Wrote:  

All 3 of those still have to play conference championship games. It would be quite easy for chaos to occur.

So if troy wins out and wins the sunbelt & W Mich, Houston, Boise win out and lose the there conference title game were in?

RE: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - ericsaid - 10-21-2016 11:48 AM

(10-21-2016 11:41 AM)Artemis Silver Bow Wrote:  

So if troy wins out and wins the sunbelt & W Mich, Houston, Boise win out and lose the there conference title game were in?

There is a solid chance that WMU loses to Toledo. Boise still has a resurgent Wyoming team and Air Force (who is playing a lot like USA) to get past. Houston still has Louisville, UCF and Tulane (I know not the toughest team but they do run an option offense which Houston had trouble against).

Troy's toughest games left are Southern (shouldn't be too difficult with the way Southern's offense has been playing) and App. Assuming Troy wins out and their only loss is by 6 points to what we can assume is a playoff team, it isn't out of the realm of possibility for Troy to leapfrog WMU, Houston, and Boise.

This is where the Troy coaching staff needs to sit down the week of Georgia Southern and explain what throttling them worse than WMU would do for their chances. Houston has been faltering and Boise is destined to lose at least one game they should win every year.

RE: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - Pounce FTW - 10-21-2016 11:50 AM

The best case scenario for the Belt probably looks a lot like the best case scenario for Navy, only not quite as good.

RE: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - AlwaysSunny - 10-21-2016 11:55 AM

(10-21-2016 11:48 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  

There is a solid chance that WMU loses to Toledo. Boise still has a resurgent Wyoming team and Air Force (who is playing a lot like USA) to get past. Houston still has Louisville, UCF and Tulane (I know not the toughest team but they do run an option offense which Houston had trouble against).

Troy's toughest games left are Southern (shouldn't be too difficult with the way Southern's offense has been playing) and App. Assuming Troy wins out and their only loss is by 6 points to what we can assume is a playoff team, it isn't out of the realm of possibility for Troy to leapfrog WMU, Houston, and Boise.

This is where the Troy coaching staff needs to sit down the week of Georgia Southern and explain what throttling them worse than WMU would do for their chances. Houston has been faltering and Boise is destined to lose at least one game they should win every year.

Troy isn't leapfrogging either of those teams unless they lose. Period. And, even if Boise were to lose a game and still win their conference 9.999 times out of 10 they'll still get the invite depending on what Houston does.

RE: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - eaglewraith - 10-21-2016 11:55 AM

It would depend on the winners of those conferences, but the odds go up dramatically at that point.

You would likely need to be undefeated in the conference as well though. I don't think a one conference loss SBC team would stand a chance.

Hell, we were in the access bowl discussion in 2014 and we weren't even eligible for a bowl.

RE: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - Usajags - 10-21-2016 12:00 PM

(10-21-2016 11:55 AM)eaglewraith Wrote:  

It would depend on the winners of those conferences, but the odds go up dramatically at that point.

You would likely need to be undefeated in the conference as well though. I don't think a one conference loss SBC team would stand a chance.

Hell, we were in the access bowl discussion in 2014 and we weren't even eligible for a bowl.

Just because you discussed it in the GaSo message board doesn't make it so.....

RE: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - eaglewraith - 10-21-2016 12:03 PM

(10-21-2016 12:00 PM)Usajags Wrote:  
(10-21-2016 11:55 AM)eaglewraith Wrote:  
(10-21-2016 11:17 AM)OsageJ Wrote:  I think that may be about as good an explanation into our difficulties as I have seen.

Just because you discussed it in the GaSo message board doesn't make it so.....

I'm sorry, guess I just imagined it being talked about by Chris Fowler on Gameday. There were other articles out there as well.

It was something that was being discussed. You have to remember we looked really great in OOC and were undefeated in conference that year. Also there was some ambiguity to selection criteria as well since that was the first year. But that level of performance would get other teams in the conversation as well. In any case, we thought it was a bit lofty since we weren't eligible.

And then Navy happened :/

RE: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - JCGSU - 10-21-2016 12:06 PM

I dont know about this. I thought it was the highest rated G5. I know it is just a big factor for the playoffs but not a disqualifier.

RE: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - eaglewraith - 10-21-2016 12:12 PM

(10-21-2016 12:06 PM)JCGSU Wrote:  

I dont know about this. I thought it was the highest rated G5. I know it is just a big factor for the playoffs but not a disqualifier.

They have to be conference champions. Then the merits of the champions are considered.

More specifically:
Quote:•All displaced conference champions and the highest ranked champion from a non-contract conference, as ranked by the committee, will participate in selected other bowl games and will be assigned to those games by the committee. If berths in the selected other bowl games remain available after those teams have been identified, the highest ranked other teams, as ranked by the committee, will fill those berths in rank order.’(Note: A “displaced conference champion” is a champion of a contract conference that does not qualify for the playoff in a year when its contract bowl hosts a semifinal game.)

Criteria found here: http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/selection-committee-protocol

RE: Best case scenario for the Sunbelt - Seminole Indian - 10-21-2016 12:50 PM

That and this.

Anderson was quoted in the Wednesday edition of the Jonesboro Sun newspaper saying "I kept feeling our guys (on defense) were playing not to make a mistake .", and added, "They put so much pressure on themselves and I think, to some degree I put a lot of pressure on them going in with all the new pieces (offensively) both staff and player-wise, I feel like guys were playing afraid to make a mistake."

That is a big step in the right direction, and far better than his initial knee jerk "throw the players under the bus" approach ,which did not go over well with their fan base.