CSNbbs
Hoops preseason article - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Hoops preseason article (/thread-795108.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Hoops preseason article - Hart Foundation - 10-19-2016 06:32 AM

It's only 23 days away kids.

https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/getting-over-the-hump-8

RE: Hoops preseason article - JMU_Degenerate - 10-19-2016 02:20 PM

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/duke-kentucky-kansas-top-cbs-sports-1-351-college-basketball-rankings/

Ranked 209 here. UNCW best in CAA.

Even Wes Miller / UNCG is ranked higher than the Duuuuukes.

RE: Hoops preseason article - Rock House Duke - 10-19-2016 02:34 PM

I'm pretty optimistic about the upcoming season. I recognize this team lacks a true go to scorer but I feel this team will be fun to watch compete.

Go Lou!

Go Dukes!

RE: Hoops preseason article - nyduke - 10-25-2016 08:12 AM

any word on a starting group yet. Opener is two weeks away cant wait.

hows this sound......1. Mc Lean 2. Kent 3. Shak 4. Vodo 5. Yo Yo bench snowden holmes demetri satkus

Too bad Mosely has to sit, hear he is the real deal.

RE: Hoops preseason article - Dukes84 - 10-25-2016 09:20 AM

There is CAA media day today and I'm sure we'll hear something from Rowe today on the team. JMU has a very disappointing three TV games this year as of today and is picked 5th. Not much interest on this site it would seem or perhaps it's too early.

RE: Hoops preseason article - Purplehazed - 10-25-2016 11:51 AM

(10-25-2016 09:20 AM)Dukes84 Wrote:  There is CAA media day today and I'm sure we'll hear something from Rowe today on the team. JMU has a very disappointing three TV games this year as of today and is picked 5th. Not much interest on this site it would seem or perhaps it's too early.

What is the status on Snowden?

RE: Hoops preseason article - JMU08 - 10-25-2016 01:11 PM

(10-25-2016 11:51 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  
(10-25-2016 09:20 AM)Dukes84 Wrote:  There is CAA media day today and I'm sure we'll hear something from Rowe today on the team. JMU has a very disappointing three TV games this year as of today and is picked 5th. Not much interest on this site it would seem or perhaps it's too early.

What is the status on Snowden?

Was hoping to hear something about the two. Nothing seemed to come up. Mostly fluff stories.

RE: Hoops preseason article - Dukes84 - 10-25-2016 01:17 PM

Josh Walfish --

If you're reading this, here's what we'd like to know:

1. Projected starting lineup.
2. Rotation.
3. Style of play.
4. Surprise developments to date.
5. How suspensions will have affected practice/games.
6. Stories on any committed recruits (Wilson, for example) and recruiting strategy/outlook going forward.
7. How JMU fits into the CAA this season and outlook for conference overall.

RE: Hoops preseason article - Dukes84 - 10-26-2016 04:24 PM

Looks like Josh was kind enough to answer some of our questions:

https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/jmu-talk-mailbag-10-26-16

RE: Hoops preseason article - DirtyDukes - 10-27-2016 08:39 AM

(10-26-2016 04:24 PM)Dukes84 Wrote:  Looks like Josh was kind enough to answer some of our questions:

I pretty much lifted your questions and tweeted at him, hope you don't mind.

RE: Hoops preseason article - Hart Foundation - 10-27-2016 10:46 AM

With the Dukes being picked 5th, that indicates there is uncertainty about Snowden, Holmes, and Johnson making an impact. We will see how long Snowden and Holmes are suspended and that is really the X factor in my mind.
Snowden has already proven himself at the D-1 level and should have a huge impact especially if Rowe gets him to play big and limit the perimeter shooting. His body has filled out and he should be able to expand on his 6 rebounds per game he averaged at Niagara.
Is Holmes the answer for ball handling needs? Who knows. The success of Juco players is hit and miss when they move to the big boy level. If the Dukes have to rely on McLean to be the primary ball handler, then they are in trouble. Hopefully Holmes is that person whenever he returns.

With 4 returning starters, 7 seniors, and a D-1 transfer the Dukes should not finish 5th in the CAA. That would be a huge disappointment.

RE: Hoops preseason article - UofRfan - 10-27-2016 11:23 AM

Kenpom projects JMU 109th in the country and 5th in CAA. Close by Hofstra and WM but still 5th. 5th looks like where you should be expected to finish. We'll see what Dan Hanner projects his are usually the most accurate.

RE: Hoops preseason article - Bogey - 10-27-2016 12:42 PM

(10-27-2016 10:46 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  With the Dukes being picked 5th, that indicates there is uncertainty about Snowden, Holmes, and Johnson making an impact. We will see how long Snowden and Holmes are suspended and that is really the X factor in my mind.
Snowden has already proven himself at the D-1 level and should have a huge impact especially if Rowe gets him to play big and limit the perimeter shooting. His body has filled out and he should be able to expand on his 6 rebounds per game he averaged at Niagara.
Is Holmes the answer for ball handling needs? Who knows. The success of Juco players is hit and miss when they move to the big boy level. If the Dukes have to rely on McLean to be the primary ball handler, then they are in trouble. Hopefully Holmes is that person whenever he returns.

With 4 returning starters, 7 seniors, and a D-1 transfer the Dukes should not finish 5th in the CAA. That would be a huge disappointment.

the reason why we are correctly picked 5th is because the team has a lot of a lot of holes. Ramone is a nice complimentary player but not the guy you want with the ball in his hands and 7 seconds left on the shot clock.
Shack is a decent shooter but is not real good at creating his own offense. Vodonovich has obvious limitations and if the season started today Ivan would be replacing him in the starting lineup. Kent is streaky and soft. Joey is a great little shooter but will struggle if he faces good physical pressure. Yoyo is our best player but anybody who knows the guy knows that he is traveling in his own parallel universe. He can be a world beater one day and very average the next. Dimitri will in all likelihood still be coming off the bench because he is a 5 and he is not better than yoyo. VJ Holmes is a decent athlete but it is going to take some time to make the adjustment from JUCO to D1. VJ and Ramone are probable going to miss the first FIVE games Terrance is currently lost in space and will not be making any significant contributions any time soon.

RE: Hoops preseason article - Dukes84 - 10-27-2016 01:41 PM

(10-27-2016 08:39 AM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  
(10-26-2016 04:24 PM)Dukes84 Wrote:  Looks like Josh was kind enough to answer some of our questions:

I pretty much lifted your questions and tweeted at him, hope you don't mind.

No worries...in fact, thanks for doing that.

RE: Hoops preseason article - Dukes84 - 10-27-2016 01:48 PM

(10-27-2016 12:42 PM)Bogey Wrote:  
(10-27-2016 10:46 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  With the Dukes being picked 5th, that indicates there is uncertainty about Snowden, Holmes, and Johnson making an impact. We will see how long Snowden and Holmes are suspended and that is really the X factor in my mind.

the reason why we are correctly picked 5th is because the team has a lot of a lot of holes. Ramone is a nice complimentary player but not the guy you want with the ball in his hands and 7 seconds left on the shot clock.
Shack is a decent shooter but is not real good at creating his own offense. Vodonovich has obvious limitations and if the season started today Ivan would be replacing him in the starting lineup. Kent is streaky and soft. Joey is a great little shooter but will struggle if he faces good physical pressure. Yoyo is our best player but anybody who knows the guy knows that he is traveling in his own parallel universe. He can be a world beater one day and very average the next. Dimitri will in all likelihood still be coming off the bench because he is a 5 and he is not better than yoyo. VJ Holmes is a decent athlete but it is going to take some time to make the adjustment from JUCO to D1. VJ and Ramone are probable going to miss the first FIVE games Terrance is currently lost in space and will not be making any significant contributions any time soon.

Thanks for posting that Bogey. I had thought Terrance Johnson was a good addition, but perhaps I was mistaken. The big surprise in what you say is that Ivan would start over Vodo. I had thought that perhaps Ivan was undervalued by the previous coaching staff, but I'll be surprised if he beats out Vodo for a starting nod.

And just a general comment and in-line with Hart's observation -- how does a team with the number of returning, experienced players they have, plus the additions of two jucos and a transfer not at least equal last year's team? Curry meant that much? Perhaps now the ball movement will be that much better with more sharing of the ball or Curry was just that much better than the rest of his teammates. Having two key guys out the first five games isn't good, of course.

RE: Hoops preseason article - UofRfan - 10-27-2016 02:33 PM

Curry is a once in a decade type player. He had a 120 OE and top assist rate and high usage rate. He was one of the few guys who could create a shot at the end of the shot clock. He took care of the ball. You could have made a legit argument he was the best player in the whole league last year. Green might have been better but he had a ton of help around him too.

Kenpom projects a 20 ranking drop from last year based on guys lost/returners. The guys who are back, just Brown is projected to be on an all CAA team. You guys were #1 in the country in 3 point defense last year which is by large part luck. http://kenpom.com/blog/the-3point-line-is-a-lottery/. There will be regression here (there would be even if 3 point defense was predictive). If Dalembert is healthy/bouncy the team should be fun to watch and very competitive. Without a ball dominant shot creator the team will have to move the ball and use the offense to get good shots.

The team should be competitive in the CAA. The first few games OOC there will be no safety net if Joey gets in foul trouble as far as ball handling. Its downright scary if he gets hurt or is out. There are a lot more questions than answers here. Finishing 4th or 5th and playing a 50/50 quarterfinal game seems like the baseline here. If Dalembert is back to his old self the upside is higher.

RE: Hoops preseason article - Centdukesfan - 10-27-2016 02:34 PM

well this doesnt seem very optimistic.

RE: Hoops preseason article - Bogey - 10-27-2016 03:14 PM

and just a general comment and in-line with Hart's observation -- how does a team with the number of returning, experienced players they have, plus the additions of two jucos and a transfer not at least equal last year's team? Curry meant that much? Perhaps now the ball movement will be that much better with more sharing of the ball or Curry was just that much better than the rest of his teammates. Having two key guys out the first five games isn't good, of course.

I am not a kenpom expert but I believe a number of the returning seniors are evaluated by that source as having little or no value. Curry was probably the 2nd best player in the league last year. That level of talent can make up for a lot of other deficiencies. While Ivan is not a great shooter it seems that he brings a lot of intangibles to the table.

RE: Hoops preseason article - Hart Foundation - 10-27-2016 06:09 PM

The other variable people haven't mentioned yet is the coaching. We haven't seen what Rowe brings to the table. He could be better, he could be worse, or he could be about the same as Brady.

Re: Curry. Keep in mind he didn't dominate the ball last year. Brady intentionally had him play off the ball for long stretches. This team knows how to move the ball and create offense with the existing pieces. The question is, How much will the new guys add?

RE: Hoops preseason article - NJDuke97 - 10-27-2016 08:08 PM

A few other thoughts related to the Dukes pre-season rankings and predictions within the conference :

While the Dukes have 7 returning seniors most are role players though. That said, on some nights role players who are Seniors will help JMU win games against younger teams. Guys like Vodo, Satkius, Lukic, Kent etc. who are limited at times will be worth a few wins just based on their experience and for the guys in the frontcourt based on their toughness, guile and girth.

I do think that YoYo and Shaq have the potential to be all league players their Senior season. I disagree that Shaq can't get his own shot- I think he can both inside and from behind the arc. I'm curious if Dalembert will pull the trigger on that open jump shot from the foul line to keep defenses honest this year. I also think in the past that the advanced metrics have been kind to Serb for a reason. He's another senior who is really a hard match up for teams and very efficient on the offensive end.

Another reason why JMU is ranked 5th is because the conference is a little stronger this year. Sure Northeastern is down (but they weren't very good last year anyway) and Hofstra lost some guys (although I think they will still be formidable) but COC and Towson are better UNCW is better and I think W&M will be as good as last year. I'm not saying the CAA will get multiple bids but I think they will have more top 100/top 150 teams than last year.

Re: the new guys- keep in mind the Jucos are both Sophomores- they aren't as well seasoned of Juco prospects as you typically get. I trust that Lou saw something there and maybe with another year at Juco JMU wouldn't have been able to recruit those guys but for that reason I'm not sure we can expect as immediate a contribution as maybe Brown had last year.

I hope Snowden gets back soon- it sounds like he would play the 4 on this team- YoYo, Snowden and Brown is a pretty strong front court especially with some of the guys who can rotate in off the bench. The guards are weak without Curry who was a stud. Have to hope McLean takes another step forward Kent can give you something more as a Senior (improved lower body strength and more consistent outside shooting please) and either Holmes or Johnson proves to be a guy you can rely on for minutes.