CSNbbs
Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now (/thread-795075.html)

Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - First Mate - 10-18-2016 07:03 PM

On ESPN now for those around in the 80s. Gonna be good.

RE: Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - Hurricane Drummer - 10-18-2016 07:05 PM

Watching. I just missed the 80's so it's a good history lesson for me!

RE: Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - C2__ - 10-18-2016 07:13 PM

I don't have ESPN, so... :-(

RE: Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - pesik - 10-18-2016 07:40 PM

beating Memphis state :)

RE: Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - vcoog - 10-18-2016 07:48 PM

Really well done so far.

RE: Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - WhoseHouse? - 10-18-2016 08:32 PM

That was awesome! Thanks for the heads up!!!

RE: Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - Borncoog74 - 10-18-2016 08:33 PM

I was there. It still hurts.

RE: Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - CyclonePower - 10-18-2016 08:45 PM

I loved the part where they found Benny Anders. really hits you in the feels and showed how much they cared about each other. Sucks UH couldn't get the championship but 3 finals fours in a row plus two runner ups is nothing to sneeze at.

RE: Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - First Mate - 10-18-2016 09:16 PM

(10-18-2016 08:45 PM)CyclonePower Wrote:  I loved the part where they found Benny Anders. really hits you in the feels and showed how much they cared about each other. Sucks UH couldn't get the championship but 3 finals fours in a row plus two runner ups is nothing to sneeze at.

That was awesome. I remember watching the 83' final four and that game with Louisville was one of the best college games I've every seen.

Still cannot believe NC St beat that UH team. IMO the greatest upset in the history of basketball.

RE: Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - Coog Engineer - 10-18-2016 09:40 PM

I thought it was awesome! Very accurately captured the thrill I got watching them as a sophomore student at UH. But also very painful reliving that '83 championship game come crashing down.

Also didn't help that Memphis basically reincarnated that loss in their championship game against Kansas back in 2008... free throws. The free throws.

RE: Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - litig8r - 10-19-2016 10:52 AM

Great documentary! That loss to NC State in '83 is by far the most painful Houston sports memory for me, and believe me that's saying something considering the bad luck this city has had with all of their teams. I'm glad to know that most of the players that weren't named Drexler or Olajuwon still went on to live very successful and productive lives. Although I almost wish they hadn't found Anders, his total vanishing act and rumored sightings had sort of made him legendary among UH fans, sort of like Sasquatch or the Loch Ness Monster.

RE: Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - PaulDel2 - 10-19-2016 11:36 AM

(10-19-2016 10:52 AM)litig8r Wrote:  Great documentary! That loss to NC State in '83 is by far the most painful Houston sports memory for me, and believe me that's saying something considering the bad luck this city has had with all of their teams. I'm glad to know that most of the players that weren't named Drexler or Olajuwon still went on to live very successful and productive lives. Although I almost wish they hadn't found Anders, his total vanishing act and rumored sightings had sort of made him legendary among UH fans, sort of like Sasquatch or the Loch Ness Monster.

I never understood how UH didn't win one or more NC during that time. They were truly dominant. That and the 4 consecutive SB losses by the Bills just can't be explained.

RE: Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - C2__ - 10-19-2016 02:36 PM

(10-18-2016 09:16 PM)First Mate Wrote:  
(10-18-2016 08:45 PM)CyclonePower Wrote:  I loved the part where they found Benny Anders. really hits you in the feels and showed how much they cared about each other. Sucks UH couldn't get the championship but 3 finals fours in a row plus two runner ups is nothing to sneeze at.

That was awesome. I remember watching the 83' final four and that game with Louisville was one of the best college games I've every seen.

Still cannot believe NC St beat that UH team. IMO the greatest upset in the history of basketball.

Come on NC State was not like a 16-seed. They were a really good team, it's just that PSJ was a really great team. NC State had some injuries during the year, or else they'd have been considered an elite ACC team. They had more McDonald's AA's than UH. Clyde Drexler and Akeem were considered mediocre or worse in high school.

RE: Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - C2__ - 10-19-2016 02:46 PM

(10-19-2016 11:36 AM)PaulDel2 Wrote:  
(10-19-2016 10:52 AM)litig8r Wrote:  Great documentary! That loss to NC State in '83 is by far the most painful Houston sports memory for me, and believe me that's saying something considering the bad luck this city has had with all of their teams. I'm glad to know that most of the players that weren't named Drexler or Olajuwon still went on to live very successful and productive lives. Although I almost wish they hadn't found Anders, his total vanishing act and rumored sightings had sort of made him legendary among UH fans, sort of like Sasquatch or the Loch Ness Monster.

I never understood how UH didn't win one or more NC during that time. They were truly dominant. That and the 4 consecutive SB losses by the Bills just can't be explained.

Yes it can, UH lost a top 2 player after every Final Four run. The '83, '84 and '85 teams were much weaker than they could have been if one of the best players on the team didn't declare early. The '83 team should have won anyways but the flaws of those teams reared their head as they reached the FF. They were exciting teams but heavily flawed. The '82 team was great but not dominant at all.

RE: Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - vabearcat - 10-19-2016 04:41 PM

Obviously a big upset. But Villanova over Georgetown in '85 was generally conceded to be the biggest upset in NCAA Finals history.

RE: Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - 72Tiger - 10-19-2016 06:35 PM

I watched it, and cringed when Drexler jumped over Andre Turner for the dunk. Still remember that when it happened.

RE: Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - First Mate - 10-19-2016 06:51 PM

(10-19-2016 02:36 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  

Come on NC State was not like a 16-seed. They were a really good team, it's just that PSJ was a really great team. NC State had some injuries during the year, or else they'd have been considered an elite ACC team. They had more McDonald's AA's than UH. Clyde Drexler and Akeem were considered mediocre or worse in high school.

C'mon man. Nc State had one nba journeyman. Thurl Bailey. Houston had two future NBA hall of famers and a lot of other talent, Anders, Michaeux, Michael Young.

I was a NC St fan growing up bc my dad went there. Trust me, NC St had some good college players, esp Whittenberg and Lowe but they weren't in the same league as Houston that year.

It was a classic upset. UH started out cold, Drexler got in foul trouble, Guy Lewis made some bad moves (I.e slowing the pace) and Jimmy V was a great in-game coach. His strategy to foul and exploit UH bad free throw shooting was brilliant.

The upset would never happen today Bc of the shot clock. It was truly the biggest upset of all time.

RE: Phi Slamma Jama 30 for 30. ESPN now - C2__ - 10-19-2016 07:19 PM

I never said it wasn't a big upset, I said NC State is not as awful as they get made out to be. There have been finalists without any long time NBA players that were considered better. It means little.

NCSU beat a lot of good teams on their run. What's the difference between them and UConn in 2014? UConn didn't have a magical run, a charismatic coach, and knock out a great team.