CSNbbs
Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? (/thread-794921.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - connecticutguy - 10-17-2016 04:13 PM

Houston and BYU to me, at least, make sense as members of the PAC 12. It would send a strong message to the B12 for these two to make a serious push --and remind that west coast conference what they could offer them.

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - Bluecoug - 10-17-2016 04:18 PM

(10-17-2016 04:13 PM)connecticutguy Wrote:  Houston and BYU to me, at least, make sense as members of the PAC 12. It would send a strong message to the B12 for these two to make a serious push --and remind that west coast conference what they could offer them.

They should've already taken BYU for value. They won't and probably never will. Houston would be a smart move though.

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - Chappy - 10-17-2016 04:18 PM

If the honor code at BYU played a role in keeping them out of the B12, then there's no chance that they will ever be in the PACX.

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - justin_sane15 - 10-17-2016 04:18 PM

BYU will NEVER be invited to the Pac 12.

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - Carolina Stang - 10-17-2016 04:19 PM

BYU is not a legit candidate for Pac 12. UH would be. Pair UH with another huge Texas market...cough...cough...Dallas Maybe? Now you're cooking with gas.

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - tcufrog86 - 10-17-2016 04:19 PM

BYU has zero chance...too many issues with the LDS affiliation that Stanford, Cal, and other won't be open too.

Houston offer the PAC entry into a major market. Academics wise where Houston ranks in many of the rankings is actually not representative of their true academic profile. While not the level of the top PAC 12 schools, Houston has elite researchers in many fields and their academic profile only continues to improve.

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - SDSU-Alum2003 - 10-17-2016 04:21 PM

BYU will NEVER get in the PAC.

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - BearcatJerry - 10-17-2016 04:22 PM

No.

The PAC 12 will never...NEVER...allow BYU as the parochial school of the LDS into their conference.

Houston, maybe.

But let's put it this way... BOISE STATE has a more realistic chance at a Pac 12 invite than BYU does.

Personally, I think the other Power conferences take a "watch-and-wait" stance to see when and how the B12 comes apart. They're not going to make any impulsive moves at the moment.

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - connecticutguy - 10-17-2016 04:24 PM

It's not fair and maybe illegal for a college to be discriminated against because of a religious tradition. I understand that others have rights too but BYU could never change its student codes.

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - justin_sane15 - 10-17-2016 04:26 PM

(10-17-2016 04:24 PM)connecticutguy Wrote:  It's not fair and maybe illegal for a college to be discriminated against because of a religious tradition. I understand that others have rights too but BYU could never change its student codes.

Conferences are private clubs. They can limit membership however they please.

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - BigHouston - 10-17-2016 04:31 PM

For selfish reasons yes I would love Houston in the PAC but in terms of conference strength the AAC current setup isn't to shabby either now.

That said, if Mike Aresco wants this league to survive he needs to move now in getting everyone in this league and better tv $$$ deal.

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - tcufrog86 - 10-17-2016 04:35 PM

(10-17-2016 04:26 PM)justin_sane15 Wrote:  
(10-17-2016 04:24 PM)connecticutguy Wrote:  It's not fair and maybe illegal for a college to be discriminated against because of a religious tradition. I understand that others have rights too but BYU could never change its student codes.

Conferences are private clubs. They can limit membership however they please.

Yep and I find it terribly ironic that things like inclusiveness and respect are always preached at places like Cal and Stanford yet whenever any sort of religious school is mentioned in PAC 12 (even very loose ties like a TCU or SMU) the rhetoric is always that a religious school would never garner support for PAC 12 invite.

Irony is that USC was founded by te Methodist.

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - BullRush - 10-17-2016 04:35 PM

(10-17-2016 04:13 PM)connecticutguy Wrote:  Houston and BYU to me, at least, make sense as members of the PAC 12. It would send a strong message to the B12 for these two to make a serious push --and remind that west coast conference what they could offer them.

BYU... absolutely no.

Houston... I would say no, just because I think the PAC are waiting for the B12 implosion to try to lure TX

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - Cubanbull - 10-17-2016 04:38 PM

BYU is a nonstarter for the PAC. It's Big12 or bust for them.

The PAC will try again after the B12 GOR runs out in getting Texas on board

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - Native Georgian - 10-17-2016 04:40 PM

Only way Houston gets into PAC is on UT's coat tails.

Which is not impossible.

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - Enriquillo - 10-17-2016 04:40 PM

I'll become a Mormon if BYU joins the AAC.

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - Coog Engineer - 10-17-2016 04:42 PM

(10-17-2016 04:40 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  Only way Houston gets into PAC is on UT's coat tails.

Which is not impossible.

Wasn't some loud twitter guy already saying UT had a backup plan like that in place if the b12 decided not to expand?

Coulda swore I read something like that... hard to remember all the different angles that were being throw out about that.

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - Bluecoug - 10-17-2016 04:45 PM

(10-17-2016 04:40 PM)Enriquillo Wrote:  I'll become a Mormon if BYU joins the AAC.

Hmmm.....That's tempting!

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - UCF_Cardinals - 10-17-2016 04:47 PM

Why would the PAC settle for BYU or Houston, when they can wait for the GoR to expire and outside of Texas or Oklahoma take any Big 12 team they want?

RE: Does Houston and Maybe BYU Have a Realistic Shot at Pac 12? Is now the time? - SNF6 - 10-17-2016 04:51 PM

NO