CSNbbs
What do we do with the Patterson? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: What do we do with the Patterson? (/thread-794828.html)

What do we do with the Patterson? - loki_the_bubba - 10-17-2016 08:52 AM

Now that it's Monday and Bailiff is still our head football coach it is obvious that Rice is not serious about FBS football. We have consciously chose a death-spiral into D3 for unknown reasons.

But we have spent over thirty million dollars on a very nice facility and we need to find a use for it. After we sell all of the weights and equipment on craigslist we need to come up with a plan. I was thinking yesterday it would make an awesome dance hall. Use the big room overlooking the stadium as the main venue. Lots of pluses:

- plenty of space
- good locker rooms for the performers
- lots of offices for promoters and managers
- loads of parking
- on the side away from the neighborhood so noise shouldn't be an issue
- central city location

It's a win/win/win for everyone.

Other suggestions?

RE: What do we do with the Patterson? - ChicagoOwl (BS '07) - 10-17-2016 09:10 AM

(10-17-2016 08:52 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  Now that it's Monday and Bailiff is still our head football coach it is obvious that Rice is not serious about FBS football. We have consciously chose a death-spiral into D3 for unknown reasons.

But we have spent over thirty million dollars on a very nice facility and we need to find a use for it. After we sell all of the weights and equipment on craigslist we need to come up with a plan. I was thinking yesterday it would make an awesome dance hall. Use the big room overlooking the stadium as the main venue. Lots of pluses:

- plenty of space
- good locker rooms for the performers
- lots of offices for promoters and managers
- loads of parking
- on the side away from the neighborhood so noise shouldn't be an issue
- central city location

It's a win/win/win for everyone.

Other suggestions?

MOB practice space/offices?

RE: What do we do with the Patterson? - mrbig - 10-17-2016 09:12 AM

The D3 football team will still need a weight room with weights. Rice will have the best D3 facilities in the country! Or the Coogs could use Rice stadium and the Patterson building as their practice facility.

RE: What do we do with the Patterson? - westsidewolf1989 - 10-17-2016 09:33 AM

A cleared-out weight room would be a cool space for public parties for the colleges, although it would be a trek from the rest of campus. Ironically, perhaps it could give our new Leadership Institute a brick and mortar home to call its own - would serve as a reminder to avoid the pitfalls of poor leadership!

RE: What do we do with the Patterson? - Wiessman - 10-17-2016 09:37 AM

In all seriousness:

Use it as a springboard to building an elite soccer program.

Of course, that is what a forward-thinking athletic department would at least consider doing. So it has zero chance of happening at Rice.

RE: What do we do with the Patterson? - Tomball Owl - 10-17-2016 09:53 AM

Hire a coaching staff willing to use the mental talents of Rice real student-athletes and use Patterson to build a kick butt FBS football program.

I know it's a radical concept, but I believe it could work work with the right pieces in place (RU, Nightowl and others).

RE: What do we do with the Patterson? - wiessguy - 10-17-2016 05:30 PM

(10-17-2016 09:37 AM)Wiessman Wrote:  In all seriousness:

Of course, that is what a forward-thinking athletic department would at least consider doing. So it has zero chance of happening at Rice.

Soccer and Rugby. You could have both and come in more even under Title IX

RE: What do we do with the Patterson? - georgewebb - 10-17-2016 07:36 PM

(10-17-2016 05:30 PM)wiessguy Wrote:  
(10-17-2016 09:37 AM)Wiessman Wrote:  In all seriousness:

Soccer and Rugby. You could have both and come in more even under Title IX

Lacrosse! The first Division I team in Texas would be poised to do extremely well, and University of Denver proved it can be done.

RE: What do we do with the Patterson? - gsloth - 10-17-2016 09:31 PM

WRC chug practice facility.

Also, need to cut a larger pathway through Patterson so that the Beer Bike track can be moved to the concourse. Can have it race through a tunnel through Patterson, and also allow most of the track to be covered in case of future rain.

RE: What do we do with the Patterson? - GoodOwl - 10-17-2016 09:44 PM

(10-17-2016 09:53 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  Hire a coaching staff willing to use the mental talents of Rice real student-athletes and use Patterson to build a kick butt FBS football program.

I know it's a radical concept, but I believe it could work work with the right pieces in place (RU, Nightowl and others).

what? you been smoking too much?

[Image: tumblr_ms34y4pKDT1ryhxolo1_500.gif]

RE: What do we do with the Patterson? - Tomball Owl - 10-17-2016 10:05 PM

(10-17-2016 09:44 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  
(10-17-2016 09:53 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  Hire a coaching staff willing to use the mental talents of Rice real student-athletes and use Patterson to build a kick butt FBS football program.

what? you been smoking too much?

[Image: tumblr_ms34y4pKDT1ryhxolo1_500.gif]

I said it was radical! ?