CSNbbs
For those who know football - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt West Team Talk (/forum-290.html)
+----- Forum: Southern Miss (/forum-447.html)
+----- Thread: For those who know football (/thread-794497.html)

For those who know football - eagle04 - 10-14-2016 11:08 AM

I consider myself average to above average in regards to football knowledge. Meaning I understand most of the game but never played at a high enough level to learn advanced schemes, stunts, twists, splits, etc.

All that to say/ask this. Some have pointed out that our team seems to play better in the second half. I have noticed that in our first halves we have tended to be very proactive with blitzes, pressure,etc. and if that doesnt work, we dial it back and play more of a reactive type defense in the second half. Has anyone else noticed this or am I way off base?

It's like we sell out so much in the beginning hoping to disrupt the other team and if that fails, we get burned severely. I remember when Pececacoro came on the staff and brought the same style of defense they had at Alcorn that it was feast or famine, live by the blitz and die by it.

I always thought that a defense uses blitzes to throw a team off and force errors. When you do it every play, you get burned. Am I view this wrong?

RE: For those who know football - shiftyeagle - 10-14-2016 03:21 PM

The ability to get pressure on the QB without blitzing is paramount to defensive success and makes blitzing that much more effective when utilized.

But honestly, UTSA just ran it down our throats so unless we are talking run-blitzing.......