CSNbbs
Week 6 thoughts - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: Week 6 thoughts (/thread-793822.html)

Pages: 1 2

Week 6 thoughts - GalliaCat - 10-08-2016 07:12 PM

Ohio finally beats BG. It looked as if it were going to be an easy win but BG gets a wild TD late to make the Bobcats sweat. I think Akron and Ohio have emerged as the clear favorites in the East. Although I think Toledo and WMU are the clear 1 & 2 in the league. I would have put CMU #3 but the past 3 weeks have taken the shine off the chips. Next week EMU plays in Athens so that should tell us where Ohio stands relative to a middle of the pack west team.

With Houston going down I would think that gives WMU a path to a New Years 6 bowl game. Especially since Houston still has a very difficult game with Louisville.

RE: Week 6 thoughts - epasnoopy - 10-08-2016 07:14 PM

Houston will get destroyed by Louisville so they'll have at least two losses.

RE: Week 6 thoughts - Wadszip - 10-08-2016 08:45 PM

Akron is in some serious injury trouble right now. Looks like JoJo Natson suffered what could be a season-ending shoulder injury on a diving TD catch. He has, by far, been the most explosive player on offense. That's on top of already losing the top defensive player Jamal Marcus to a season-ending injury last week.

Plus, there is no telling when Tommy Woodson or Warren Ball will return, as neither played today. Both are expected to return, but Terry Bowden runs the injury report like the North Korean News Agency, so who knows.

If none of those guys play, and we already know Marcus won't for sure, next week could get ugly against WMU.

RE: Week 6 thoughts - Kittonhead - 10-08-2016 08:45 PM

(10-08-2016 07:14 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Houston will get destroyed by Louisville so they'll have at least two losses.
Two lossses doesnt disqualify a school for an access bowl per se as Boise State played in the first access bowl with 2 losses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Week 6 thoughts - UofToledoFans - 10-08-2016 08:51 PM

Houston can beat anyone in the country. Losing to a tripple option team can almost be a throw away as far as defense goes. Houston still wil be a top 20 team with a win over top 20 Oklahoma. Front runners for access go... Houston, Boise State, WMU, Navy, USF, Toledo, SDSU and so forth

RE: Week 6 thoughts - epasnoopy - 10-08-2016 08:53 PM

(10-08-2016 08:51 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Houston can beat anyone in the country.

Clearly not, they lost to an unranked team and Louisville will smoke them later in the season.

RE: Week 6 thoughts - UofToledoFans - 10-08-2016 09:05 PM

(10-08-2016 08:53 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 08:51 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Houston can beat anyone in the country.

Clearly not, they lost to an unranked team and Louisville will smoke them later in the season.

CAN beat doesn't mean WILL beat 100% of the time. If that game was played in Sunny Houston they win by 2 TD's I bet. They beat #3 Oklahoma... Louisville beat #2 FSU. Rankings move all over the place. A top 15 team CAN beat any team in the country on any given day. Louisville lost to Clemson. Clemson almost lost to Troy. Troy could have won that game! Are you going to tell me Troy CANT beat Louisville? Because Houston is a lot better than Troy on most days... To say that they CANT play with Louisville is rediculous. Houston has a terrific D and O. Again... The tripple option is tough to beat.

RE: Week 6 thoughts - Sultan of Euphonistan - 10-08-2016 09:06 PM

More importantly it is an AAC loss. This means that they now need other teams to lose so that they can win their conference. If they don't win the conference their ranking is meaningless for the access bowl.

RE: Week 6 thoughts - epasnoopy - 10-08-2016 09:59 PM

Well, now I have to root for WMU to go undefeated since we lost. Plus for the good of the MAC West we need PJ to get hired away. If he stays there he's going to end up building a strong program with his recruiting abilities.

RE: Week 6 thoughts - BruceMcF - 10-08-2016 11:27 PM

(10-08-2016 07:12 PM)GalliaCat Wrote:  I think Akron and Ohio have emerged as the clear favorites in the East.
Kent State is now #3 in the Eastern Division standings! Woot!

Week 6 thoughts - utpotts - 10-09-2016 01:44 AM

If Houston wins the AAC they will get a NYD 6 bowl game, no matter what WMU does.

RE: Week 6 thoughts - wleakr - 10-09-2016 02:15 AM

(10-09-2016 01:44 AM)utpotts Wrote:  If Houston wins the AAC they will get a NYD 6 bowl game, no matter what WMU does.

Neither of those teams will get in over an undefeated Boise.

RE: Week 6 thoughts - Wadszip - 10-09-2016 02:51 AM

(10-09-2016 02:15 AM)wleakr Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 01:44 AM)utpotts Wrote:  If Houston wins the AAC they will get a NYD 6 bowl game, no matter what WMU does.

A one-loss Houston (or any one-loss AAC team) still probably makes it over undefeated Boise.

I see the Access berth like this:

1. Any one-loss AAC team (there are five of them)
2. Undefeated Boise
3. Undefeated WMU
4. Two-loss Houston
5. One-loss Boise State
6. Any two-loss AAC team (there are 7 of them)
7. One-loss Air Force or San Diego State
8. One-loss WMU or Toledo
9. One-loss Troy
10. One-loss Middle Tennessee

RE: Week 6 thoughts - wleakr - 10-09-2016 04:41 AM

(10-09-2016 02:51 AM)Wadszip Wrote:  A one-loss Houston (or any one-loss AAC team) still probably makes it over undefeated Boise.

I see the Access berth like this:

1. Any one-loss AAC team (there are five of them)
2. Undefeated Boise
3. Undefeated WMU

There's no reason to even go past your top 3 until such time arises.

Your 1st premise is flawed by the use of "any" AAC team. None of the AAC teams beyond Houston is ranked and will not pass up Boise should BSU continue to be undefeated.

Boise will trend to at least a #10 ranking going through the MWC. There is no telling where Houston drops after today, but most likely past #10 with only Louisville to make up for it). Since Navy wasn't ranked (or receiving votes), they will probably drop to around #12-15.

But you did say "probably". 03-lol

RE: Week 6 thoughts - epasnoopy - 10-09-2016 07:31 AM

(10-09-2016 02:15 AM)wleakr Wrote:  

Indeed, Boise State is in the drivers seat now. As they should be.

Everyone needs to calm down on the Houston hype. They're good but there have been better G5 teams. Outside of their win against Oklahoma (3-2 record), which was overrated as usual, their other wins were against Lamar, Texas State, UConn, and Cincy -- teams with a combined 10-12 record.

RE: Week 6 thoughts - Kittonhead - 10-09-2016 09:24 AM

Boise State has to get past BYU yet.

Houston lost a division game to Navy so they are 2 behind them in the division standings.

WMU has to go through Toledo to win the west.

The access bowl race is wide open but it will probably be one of those 3.

RE: Week 6 thoughts - bronconick - 10-09-2016 09:34 AM

(10-09-2016 09:24 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Boise State has to get past BYU yet.

Houston lost a division game to Navy so they are 2 behind them in the division standings.

Uh, BYU isn't in the MWC

RE: Week 6 thoughts - pono - 10-09-2016 09:59 AM

(10-09-2016 09:34 AM)bronconick Wrote:  

Uh, BYU isn't in the MWC

but they play Boise

RE: Week 6 thoughts - T-Town - 10-09-2016 10:06 AM

(10-09-2016 09:34 AM)bronconick Wrote:  

Uh, BYU isn't in the MWC

Uh, true but beside the point. As an independent, all the teams BYU schedules are "out of conference" including the upcoming BYU @ Boise game scheduled for October 20, 2016.

RE: Week 6 thoughts - Ohio Poly - 10-09-2016 10:17 AM

(10-08-2016 08:45 PM)Wadszip Wrote:  Akron is in some serious injury trouble right now. Looks like JoJo Natson suffered what could be a season-ending shoulder injury on a diving TD catch. He has, by far, been the most explosive player on offense. That's on top of already losing the top defensive player Jamal Marcus to a season-ending injury last week.

Plus, there is no telling when Tommy Woodson or Warren Ball will return, as neither played today. Both are expected to return, but Terry Bowden runs the injury report like the North Korean News Agency, so who knows.

If none of those guys play, and we already know Marcus won't for sure, next week could get ugly against WMU.

Oh well, it's just one game that we'd have trouble winning even at full strength. Might as well give them another week to heal and play for the winnable MACE/bowl-eligibility games.