CSNbbs
Game Week: Toledo - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: Game Week: Toledo (/thread-792983.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Game Week: Toledo - emu steve - 10-02-2016 07:24 AM

Normally colleges like to have a patsy for their homecoming game.

Well because of the conference scheduling EMU had no choice: Toledo (next home game: Oct 29 which is too late).

Friday night, TOL played a MACtion thriller which ended after 2:00 a.m. while some college students are coming home from closing a bar and some politicians are up thinking of Tweets...

Yesterday, EMU played a MACtion thriller, but not as high scoring and ending at dinner hour.

This game should answer the question for EMU: Contender or pretender?

We will probably be a very significant underdog despite our four wins... (EDIT: probably be about 3 TDs. Toledo gets a lot of love as a top 40 team, better than say Mizzou).

After Toledo, we go to Athens and play a decent Ohio team before traveling to K'zoo to play maybe the best MAC team in years...

RE: Game Week: Toledo - emu steve - 10-02-2016 07:42 AM

With the prospects of a good game, I think we'll see a nice crowd drive up from Toledo.

It would be nice to see the visitor side pretty full (because of the reduced capacity).

We should offer TOL's athletic dept. all the visitor side seats for a cool 40 - 50K and let them sell them/Pepsi them on a first come/first serve basis... "Caravan to Ypsi".

RE: Game Week: Toledo - Luckeyone - 10-02-2016 08:32 AM

I am bringing 20 friends many who have never been to an EMU game . We are going to tail gate and have a great time.

I watched UT vs BYU (btw BYU could easily be undefeated as their losses are by a combined 7points). UT could not stop BYUs future NFL running back who got 270 yds on them. BYU could not stop UTs QB)WRs who got 500+ pass yards.

How do we win? This will be a very, very difficult team as UT is big, fast, and strong. We have to be able to run the ball to keep it out of their QBs hands who is deadly accurate. We have to pressure the QB and pray that our young secondary improves dramatically.

We will be a 21 point underdog....can we win?

RE: Game Week: Toledo - TheWoodenNickle - 10-02-2016 08:43 AM

(10-02-2016 08:32 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  I am bringing 20 friends many who have never been to an EMU game . We are going to tail gate and have a great time.

I watched UT vs BYU (btw BYU could easily be undefeated as their losses are by a combined 7points). UT could not stop BYUs future NFL running back who got 270 yds on them. BYU could not stop UTs QB)WRs who got 500+ pass yards.

How do we win? This will be a very, very difficult team as UT is big, fast, and strong. We have to be able to run the ball to keep it out of their QBs hands who is deadly accurate. We have to pressure the QB and pray that our young secondary improves dramatically.

We will be a 21 point underdog....can we win?
Anything is possible. The keys for EMU will be to have an effective running game and to limit UT's big plays. They are going to score points but it's important that they have to drive the length of the field in order to do so.

A few turnovers will help too. Basically the underdog needs to get all of the breaks. That's how upsets happen.

RE: Game Week: Toledo - EagleTough - 10-02-2016 09:24 AM

Toledo for homecoming, great scheduling.

RE: Game Week: Toledo - Luckeyone - 10-02-2016 10:41 AM

(10-02-2016 09:24 AM)EagleTough Wrote:  Toledo for homecoming, great scheduling.

EagleTough,

Out of AD hands as the next home game is cold and late October. I believe it's better to play in nice weather and have a larger turn out vs playing in colder weather. Besides, we have improved and hopefully we'll keep the game close and entertaining.

If we play to our potential, don't turn the ball over, limit Hunt to 95 yards, and QB to under 250 yards passing, have 3 sacks, and....I know, it's a lot of ifs but let's see what happens.

RE: Game Week: Toledo - emu steve - 10-02-2016 01:02 PM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/2/seasontype/2/year/2016/week/6 04-jawdrop

RE: Game Week: Toledo - EagleTough - 10-02-2016 01:20 PM

(10-02-2016 01:02 PM)emu steve Wrote:  http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/2/seasontype/2/year/2016/week/6 04-jawdrop

Worry about them in 3 weeks, but well deserved. Makes the MAC look good.

RE: Game Week: Toledo - FrankAnderson - 10-02-2016 01:23 PM

Take a gander at the coaches poll. Look who comes in with 1 point: Eastern Michigan.

RE: Game Week: Toledo - emu steve - 10-02-2016 02:05 PM

(10-02-2016 01:23 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  Take a gander at the coaches poll. Look who comes in with 1 point: Eastern Michigan.

Wonder if Coach Murphy noticed it. Lol.

RE: Game Week: Toledo - emu steve - 10-03-2016 08:05 AM

Line in today's USA Today is Toledo by 16.5.

Might sound like a lot, but normally an EMU / TOL might be 4 TDs +.

RE: Game Week: Toledo - emu steve - 10-03-2016 09:06 AM

This site has us #52 in the nation which means a LOT of good teams are ranked lower.

Do I believe it? No, but I like it.

http://warrennolan.com/football/2016/npi

RE: Game Week: Toledo - emu79 - 10-03-2016 09:17 AM

(10-03-2016 08:05 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Line in today's USA Today is Toledo by 16.5.

Might sound like a lot, but normally an EMU / TOL might be 4 TDs +.

We have done very beating Vegas odds lets hope the trend continues to be our friend

RE: Game Week: Toledo - Boca Rocket - 10-03-2016 09:45 AM

(10-03-2016 09:06 AM)emu steve Wrote:  This site has us #52 in the nation which means a LOT of good teams are ranked lower.

Do I believe it? No, but I like it.

http://warrennolan.com/football/2016/npi

Same Poll has Army that lost to Buffalo ranked #28.

RE: Game Week: Toledo - EagleSam - 10-03-2016 10:10 AM

Not getting my hopes up for this one. If we can somehow go 1-2 over the next 3 games, I will be so thrilled. The only realistic chance might be against Ohio.

I'm hoping for a competitive game, and for our offense to sustain drives like they did in the 2nd half against BG. Toledo can be run on...let's try to wear them down and keep our defense off the field as much as possible. Woodside should have a field day against our young secondary. Not getting down big early is key.

RE: Game Week: Toledo - Luckeyone - 10-03-2016 10:36 AM

(10-03-2016 10:10 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  Not getting my hopes up for this one. If we can somehow go 1-2 over the next 3 games, I will be so thrilled. The only realistic chance might be against Ohio.

I'm hoping for a competitive game, and for our offense to sustain drives like they did in the 2nd half against BG. Toledo can be run on...let's try to wear them down and keep our defense off the field as much as possible. Woodside should have a field day against our young secondary. Not getting down big early is key.

Sam,

I agree. If we can get to the second level, Toledo's secondary looked vulnerable against BYU and maybe Erickson or Turner could spring a long run. We are going to have to play our very best to keep the game competitive.

RE: Game Week: Toledo - Luckeyone - 10-03-2016 10:37 AM

Injuries?

How is McClean? How's Breck Turner?

Got to have both!

RE: Game Week: Toledo - KPJ - 10-03-2016 10:40 AM

I don't think we win here.
I'd be surprised if they don't beat us by three touchdowns.
We weren't really supposed to be in this game either, but it was fun to watch!!!!!
http://www.annarbor.com/sports/career-day-from-bronson-hill-not-enough-as-emu-drops-to-0-6-on-season-with-loss-to-toledo/
So hopefully we get this kind of performance.

RE: Game Week: Toledo - emu_fan101 - 10-03-2016 10:43 AM

Slightly off topic but why are Toledo fans such a**holes? I mean seriously they're insufferable.

RE: Game Week: Toledo - EagleTough - 10-03-2016 11:16 AM

(10-03-2016 10:36 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 10:10 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  Not getting my hopes up for this one. If we can somehow go 1-2 over the next 3 games, I will be so thrilled. The only realistic chance might be against Ohio.

Sam,

I agree. If we can get to the second level, Toledo's secondary looked vulnerable against BYU and maybe Erickson or Turner could spring a long run. We are going to have to play our very best to keep the game competitive.

Agree with both. Only way we keep it under the line, is clock sustaining drives and keeping their offense off the field. Also need to win the turnover battle.

Huge opportunity for Brogan to prove he's the guy going forward. Start by committing ZERO turnovers. Their defense has some holes in it, so if we can mix the run and pass, we should be able to score some points. 20-30 is realistic. Brogan has the arm, a healthy OLine, many more offensive weapons, and DeBoer doing a good job, so there are literally no more excuses. If we can somehow push it close to 40 (defense or special teams scores), who knows what might happen.

Let's start by being competitive, and avoiding another Mizzou showing.