CSNbbs
LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+----- Forum: Off Topic (/forum-738.html)
+----- Thread: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? (/thread-792308.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - Tiger1983 - 09-26-2016 07:48 AM

I think it is more than a coincidence that Memphis tanked last year after VT started flirting with Fuente. I think a similar distraction is possible for Houston.

Herman's statement of "I'm never going to comment about another job during the season" does not calm the waters, IMO. However, I cannot think of a better answer other than to unequivocally disavow interest in the LSU job.

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - pesik - 09-26-2016 08:02 AM

Herman was offered 5million for SC and was contacted for EVERY JOB last year not USC ...
Herman was more way more indemand than fuentes last year...

outside of usc he could have gotten any job he wanted...this isn't a new issue

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - DownOnRohs - 09-26-2016 08:06 AM

I think there is actually a better than average chance that Herman opts to stay in Houston.

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - goodknightfl - 09-26-2016 08:10 AM

(09-26-2016 07:48 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  I think it is more than a coincidence that Memphis tanked last year after VT started flirting with Fuente. I think a similar distraction is possible for Houston.

Herman's statement of "I'm never going to comment about another job during the season" does not calm the waters, IMO. However, I cannot think of a better answer other than to unequivocally disavow interest in the LSU job.

A small distraction. He will keep team focused. As for Herman, He can walk and chew gum at same time.

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - Tiger1983 - 09-26-2016 08:35 AM

Herman killed speculation last year that he would change jobs by agreeing to a new contract before the AAC title game. Houston has a shot of making the football playoffs and Herman has the opportunity to kill job rumors this year before a puzzling UConn type defeat occurs.

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - KNIGHTTIME - 09-26-2016 08:35 AM

(09-26-2016 08:06 AM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  I think there is actually a better than average chance that Herman opts to stay in Houston.

I don't think he leaves for LSU. Les had a great record at LSU and got canned mid season. That doesn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling to join that staff.

If Notre Dame or Texas open....he gone

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - Coog Engineer - 09-26-2016 09:06 AM

(09-26-2016 07:48 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  I think it is more than a coincidence that Memphis tanked last year after VT started flirting with Fuente. I think a similar distraction is possible for Houston.

I think most UH fans have come to accept this as the price to pay for a great coach.

Herman won't be at UH forever, it's true. But it would be unwise for him to not gauge his market value. He has already, and continues to demonstrate that he is no fluke, his coaching skills will still be available to suitors whether he decides to leave after this year or after a few more years.

This process needs to happen, and I don't have as hard a time recognizing that is why he didn't shut the door on it. But I think everyone underestimates that UH is now more than willing to match most suitors' offers, so the decision to leave will be for something other than money.

If you think the "lustre" of LSU is it, that's your opinion, I won't try to argue someone's opinion. But I think he has higher goals myself.

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - CliftonAve - 09-26-2016 09:08 AM

In all seriousness, I think Herman is not going to LSU. I think the Tigers opt for Jimbo Fisher.

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - EagleNationRising - 09-26-2016 09:13 AM

(09-26-2016 09:08 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  In all seriousness, I think Herman is not going to LSU. I think the Tigers opt for Jimbo Fisher.

Jimbo Fisher isn't going to leave FSU. Things are way to good for him down in Tallahassee

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - isidnirb - 09-26-2016 09:20 AM

Coog fans need to understand it is a compliment that Herman is talked about like this. Everyone in the American would love to have him. Too many Coog fans are getting uber sensitive that his name is brought up (again). Part of the game. LSU is a top 10 program. It is loaded with top recruits everywhere...imagine what he could do with a roster full of Ed Olivers? And paying him $5 million per year isn't out of the question either.

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - Tiger1983 - 09-26-2016 09:21 AM

(09-26-2016 09:06 AM)Coog Engineer Wrote:  

I think most UH fans have come to accept this as the price to pay for a great coach.

Herman won't be at UH forever, it's true. But it would be unwise for him to not gauge his market value. He has already, and continues to demonstrate that he is no fluke, his coaching skills will still be available to suitors whether he decides to leave after this year or after a few more years.

This process needs to happen, and I don't have as hard a time recognizing that is why he didn't shut the door on it. But I think everyone underestimates that UH is now more than willing to match most suitors' offers, so the decision to leave will be for something other than money.

If you think the "lustre" of LSU is it, that's your opinion, I won't try to argue someone's opinion. But I think he has higher goals myself.
Your opinion is more valuable than mine because you know your coach far better than me. I think, however, the LSU job is the acid test concerning Herman's intentions. If he turns it down, then I think he is at Houston for the long haul (barring the"dream" Texas job identified by Houston fans).

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - Borncoog74 - 09-26-2016 09:30 AM

I think every comment in this thread up to this point is a good assessment.

We are very good this year, but in all honesty we may be even better next year.

He has got this program stacked, and is set to maintain the status who for the next 3-4 years alone.

He is truly building a monster that can compete for Conference and National Championships for the next 4 years if the schedule allows it, and that isn't even accounting for the possibility of getting into a P5 which would really shut down a lot of this talk.

I am cautiously optimistic.

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - shere khan - 09-26-2016 09:47 AM

(09-26-2016 09:13 AM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  
(09-26-2016 09:08 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  In all seriousness, I think Herman is not going to LSU. I think the Tigers opt for Jimbo Fisher.

Jimbo Fisher isn't going to leave FSU. Things are way to good for him down in Tallahassee
I don't think jimbo is leaving the state of Florida voluntarily. Recent nasty divorce and kids.

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - coogrfan - 09-26-2016 10:21 AM

(09-26-2016 08:35 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(09-26-2016 08:06 AM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  I think there is actually a better than average chance that Herman opts to stay in Houston.

I don't think he leaves for LSU. Les had a great record at LSU and got canned mid season. That doesn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling to join that staff.

If Notre Dame or Texas open....he gone

This.

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - HoustonRocks - 09-26-2016 11:44 AM

Any coach being pursued by another school would be foolish to declare he is not leaving his present position.

Being pursued gets raises.

After Briles, Sumlin, and numerous assistants, UH fans are inured to coaching changes.

If Herman left, UH would have many applicants. Herman would leave many quality players.

It's all good.

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - Halfcourt - 09-26-2016 12:20 PM

(09-26-2016 08:02 AM)pesik Wrote:  Herman was offered 5million for SC and was contacted for EVERY JOB last year not USC ...

SC is not LSU. LSU is on another level.

You pick up the phone when they call.

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - shere khan - 09-26-2016 01:16 PM

(09-26-2016 12:20 PM)Halfcourt Wrote:  
(09-26-2016 08:02 AM)pesik Wrote:  Herman was offered 5million for SC and was contacted for EVERY JOB last year not USC ...

SC is not LSU. LSU is on another level.

You pick up the phone when they call.
That is not exactly what happened. That's pesik revision. Herman and Kirby were in the running. Usce was gonna go kirby over herman then uga opened up. Kirby goes uga and by that time herman had a deal with houston. So usce went to muschamp.

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - Realignment - 09-26-2016 01:21 PM

I think Tom Herman to LSU is almost a lock. They'll offer him the world, probably a 5-year guaranteed deal with options in the 6th and 7th year. He'll be in the SEC and the recruiting will be even easier for him, Houston will land on its feet though, any hot prospect coach would love to get that job.

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - SublimeKnight - 09-26-2016 01:30 PM

I think the pecking order is:
1) Jimbo Fisher
2) Tom Herman
3) *We made a huge mistake*

RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction?? - KNIGHTTIME - 09-26-2016 01:44 PM

(09-26-2016 01:21 PM)Realignment Wrote:  I think Tom Herman to LSU is almost a lock. They'll offer him the world, probably a 5-year guaranteed deal with options in the 6th and 7th year. He'll be in the SEC and the recruiting will be even easier for him, Houston will land on its feet though, any hot prospect coach would love to get that job.

I would bet he isn't going to LSU. Maybe LSU going multiple seasons sub .500 it would be a good look. He is going to find a gig at a school struggling that has elite status. Texas, Notre Dame, etc.