CSNbbs
Stanford vs. Rice - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Stanford vs. Rice (/thread-791559.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Stanford vs. Rice - Bailiff_Lingo_Bingo - 09-21-2016 12:20 AM

(09-20-2016 11:43 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(09-20-2016 10:32 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  
(09-20-2016 06:56 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(09-20-2016 06:05 PM)Barrett Wrote:  I would say the PRIMARY difference between Stanford and Rice is the on-field product quality. There are other differences, surely, but that is the glaring one. If our product were just as good as Stanford's, Rice students would care more about Rice football. I can guarantee you that there are plenty of Rice students watching college football on Saturdays on their TVs in their colleges. They love college football. They just aren't interested in poor quality football.

Barrett, generally speaking, the ones who are interested in CFB are at the games on Saturdays.

There are more people who watch NFL games who don't go to Rice games, but I know VERY few (none?) people who watch CFB who don't go to Rice games.

"I would go to the Rice game, but my Tigers are playing at 7 too so I can't geaux!" is not a phenomenon that I ever see.

I actually saw that many times. I knew people who would stay home to watch UGA, UT and Oklahoma instead of walking to HRS if they were on. After a game people would be in the OC lounge watching other games on the big screen and would ask "did we win".

Haha, interesting... Differing experiences I suppose. Still don't think the population of students who do this is enough to "make a dent."

Definitely w/ Excited on this one.

RE: Stanford vs. Rice - Da.Owl - 09-21-2016 12:26 AM

(09-20-2016 04:00 PM)Barrett Wrote:  Morale on this Board is low, which is understandable. We're 0-3 during conference realignment talks and at a time when our intra-city rival, UH, is enjoying a wave of success and looks poised to jumping to a P5 conference. People here are p-ssed off, and not surprisingly so.

I think Ranger is not just griping for griping's sake. I think he's making the decent point that, no matter how nerdy the Rice student body is perceived to be, going to football games and cheering on the football team is possible. His example of how it can be: Stanford. So it's not the demographic or intellectual make-up of the Rice student body that explains why football doesn't appear to be that popular or important to the students. What's happening at Stanford, Ranger is saying, can happen here.

Valid points, Barrett. I'd also offer that it's more than current students in tbe seats at home, it's how well Rice travels. Rice doesn't have as much rubber meeting the road as the P5s.