CSNbbs
The Deal with Kiel (thread name changed) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: The Deal with Kiel (thread name changed) (/thread-791037.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

The Deal with Kiel (thread name changed) - Dannyboy - 09-15-2016 11:39 PM

Houston is better than us, they best us, etc. Thats life. That doesn't bother me. The better team won.

But after the back to back pick six's, Gunner is sent out there....to hand off three straight times and hit the bench again. I don't know what he did to get in the dog house, but it is flat out ridiculous to send him out there only to hand off. Trail could have done that. *I* could have done that. Why do that to him, other than to disrespect him?

For three games this year Kiel has gone out for the coin toss, worn a headset, encouraged his teammates, and been positive on the sideline. He has done everything he could to get back on the field. Then in a blowout he gets to handoff. When that happened I ran down to the front row and yelled some encouragement to him. He gave me a thumbs up and went back to encouraging his teammates.

It's wrong. If you're going to do this to him, just release him before the season and let him play for an FCS team or something. Anything but this. This isn't right.

Go Bearcats.

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - MickMack - 09-15-2016 11:44 PM

(09-15-2016 11:39 PM)Dannyboy Wrote:  Houston is better than us, they best us, etc. Thats life. That doesn't bother me. The better team won.

But after the back to back pick six's, Gunner is sent out there....to hand off three straight times and hit the bench again. I don't know what he did to get in the dog house, but it is flat out ridiculous to send him out there only to hand off. Trail could have done that. *I* could have done that. Why do that to him, other than to disrespect him?

For three games this year Kiel has gone out for the coin toss, worn a headset, encouraged his teammates, and been positive on the sideline. He has done everything he could to get back on the field. Then in a blowout he gets to handoff. When that happened I ran down to the front row and yelled some encouragement to him. He gave me a thumbs up and went back to encouraging his teammates.

It's wrong. If you're going to do this to him, just release him before the season and let him play for an FCS team or something. Anything but this. This isn't right.

Go Bearcats.

Dude, that was just bizarre. I simply cannot understand what is going on with TT and Kiel.

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - rath v2.0 - 09-16-2016 06:29 AM

This is the guy who sat Kay in the 1st game under this regime due to a neck injury and then brought him in during mop up duty to run repeated QB dives and QB keepers. There is a method to the madness but it is apparently lost on mere mortals.

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - JackieTreehorn - 09-16-2016 06:58 AM

(09-16-2016 06:29 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  This is the guy who sat Kay in the 1st game under this regime due to a neck injury and then brought him in during mop up duty to run repeated QB dives and QB keepers. There is a method to the madness but it is apparently lost on mere mortals.

Think it was a shoulder injury.

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - nachoman91 - 09-16-2016 07:04 AM

Another scenario I'm baffled at.....

When Moore got hurt early in the game, Trail came in on 2nd and long and essentially handed it off a couple of times for basically no gain. If your backup QB either doesn't know the system, or is too green to be able to trust him to throw the ball, then how can you play him over a 5th year senior who has multiple years of experience and has already proven his capability.

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - Bcatbog - 09-16-2016 07:10 AM

(09-16-2016 07:04 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  Another scenario I'm baffled at.....

When Moore got hurt early in the game, Trail came in on 2nd and long and essentially handed it off a couple of times for basically no gain. If your backup QB either doesn't know the system, or is too green to be able to trust him to throw the ball, then how can you play him over a 5th year senior who has multiple years of experience and has already proven his capability.

The idea that a player takes his first game snaps is a situation like last night is mind boggling. Not playing better versus Martin hurt us last night. Trail should have been able to play the entire 2nd half against Martin and getting some experience should have changed the rotation of QBs last night. All of that said:

1. Not taking the early FG put us in a hole in Q4.
2. Running out of the spread on the one line was a safety waiting to happen - 2 more points.
3. Then there was the extra point not taken.

All of the above to me was bad coaching that changed the end of game situation that forced Moore to make more risky plays. This one to me is on the coaching staff.

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - bearcat29 - 09-16-2016 07:18 AM

Yeah, this drove me nuts. I know he doesn't want QB controversy, but F-it there is a game to win!

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - Ring of Black - 09-16-2016 07:21 AM

(09-16-2016 07:10 AM)Bcatbog Wrote:  

The idea that a player takes his first game snaps is a situation like last night is mind boggling. Not playing better versus Martin hurt us last night. Trail should have been able to play the entire 2nd half against Martin and getting some experience should have changed the rotation of QBs last night. All of that said:

2. Running out of the spread on the one line was a safety waiting to happen - 2 more points.

All of the above to me was bad coaching that changed the end of game situation that forced Moore to make more risky plays. This one to me is on the coaching staff.

Spot on, both, really all posts 04-bow

If I was Gunner, I'd be tempted to walk.

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - JPBearcat3 - 09-16-2016 07:28 AM

I think Gunner and the coaching staff have a mutual understanding as to what's happening. It's an unfortunate situation for all involved (coaches, players, fans, etc.).

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - nachoman91 - 09-16-2016 07:34 AM

(09-16-2016 07:10 AM)Bcatbog Wrote:  

If all of that happens then its 24-20 Houston with about 6 minutes to go in the game and UC has the ball with plenty of time to put together a potentially winning TD drive.

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - Bcatbog - 09-16-2016 07:34 AM

(09-16-2016 07:28 AM)JPBearcat3 Wrote:  I think Gunner and the coaching staff have a mutual understanding as to what's happening. It's an unfortunate situation for all involved (coaches, players, fans, etc.).

Too bad the fans paying the bills are not part of that understanding.

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - DownOnRohs - 09-16-2016 07:48 AM

(09-16-2016 07:28 AM)JPBearcat3 Wrote:  I think Gunner and the coaching staff have a mutual understanding as to what's happening. It's an unfortunate situation for all involved (coaches, players, fans, etc.).

This....we clearly don't know the whole story

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - UCGrad1992 - 09-16-2016 07:57 AM

Fans for Gunner! We support you! You've had a great career here kid and hope to see you under center again before the season ends.

[Image: 1210810.jpg]

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - rath v2.0 - 09-16-2016 08:03 AM

I've watched 3 games and Keil is the biggest cheerleader on the sideline. This whole "he has a crappy attitude thing" is for the birds. I still hold that sticking with Moore will cost us 2-3 games this season against a schedule that is tailor made for UC. Last night was #1.

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - CliftonAve - 09-16-2016 08:04 AM

My hunk on the QB situation is they saw this as a rebuilding season from the start. New OC, new offense, three new starters on the OL and Kiel will be gone next year so they are playing the guys who will be here the next 2-4 seasons in hopes it pays off next year and beyond.

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - ucbandguy - 09-16-2016 08:04 AM

I will admit to being unhappy with the way Trail was used. I understand that you want to break in a quarterback slowly, and give him plays that will succeed, or at least not go badly wrong. But Houston knew that too, and was just waiting for something like the shovel pass, so it had little chance of succeed.

My thought on Hayden Moore. When things are going Okay, he looks good (not great) and seems very steady. However, once the wheels start to wobble, things REALLY come apart. (Reference several games last year.) While I hate to see a coaching staff pull a quarterback quickly when things go wrong, it seems justified. Especially with a 3 deep bench.

In all fairness to Moore, Keil went through some similar things last year.

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - bearcatjim - 09-16-2016 08:05 AM

Tommy gonna Tommy

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - Crewdogz - 09-16-2016 08:11 AM

(09-16-2016 08:03 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I've watched 3 games and Keil is the biggest cheerleader on the sideline. This whole "he has a crappy attitude thing" is for the birds. I still hold that sticking with Moore will cost us 2-3 games this season against a schedule that is tailor made for UC. Last night was #1.

I think Bryce Jenkinson had him beat last night... OMG, never seen such cheerleading from the sideline. Well done # 45. Otherwise I agree completely with your sentiment Rath.

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - RedRocker - 09-16-2016 08:15 AM

(09-16-2016 08:04 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  My hunk on the QB situation is they saw this as a rebuilding season from the start. New OC, new offense, three new starters on the OL and Kiel will be gone next year so they are playing the guys who will be here the next 2-4 seasons in hopes it pays off next year and beyond.

That's crap! This isn't the NFL. You don't rebuild in CFB, you reload. Is that how you sell the program to fans? CFB is win now because players have a limited time in a program.

Moore is not better than Kiel and why you use a RS Frosh as #2 is a slap in the face to a Senior who led this team the past 2 seasons. The use of Kiel is beyond baffling.

BTW, Trail is the future, not Moore and not right now.

RE: 30+ years as a fan, never seen anything like this. - nachoman91 - 09-16-2016 08:32 AM

Moore's career TD/INT ratio - 14/12 (almost 1 to 1)
Gunner's career TD/INT ratio - 50/24 ( 2 to 1)
I'm still baffled Moore is starting.

Other baffling decisions:
Going for it on 4th and 1 from the 10 yard line. UC just scored a long TD pass to tie it up then intercepted Houston. You have the momentum. Kick the FG and keep the momentum.
When you’re up by 4 points, going for two doesn’t make mathematical sense at all.

Its easy to second guess the coaching decisions after a game, but some of them were baffling before they even ran them.