CSNbbs
Chris Vernon speaks - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Chris Vernon speaks (/thread-790701.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Chris Vernon speaks - Rob - 09-13-2016 09:59 AM

Just saw this post on reddit talking about his speech at Rhodes. Thought some might find it interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/memphisgrizzlies/comments/52ivcm/i_went_to_chris_vernons_talk_at_rhodes_got_some/

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - MemTiger90 - 09-13-2016 10:11 AM

Sounds like Chris pretty much slammed the U of M. He's never really cared for the Tigers, I don't believe

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - salukiblue - 09-13-2016 10:17 AM

(09-13-2016 10:11 AM)MemTiger90 Wrote:  Sounds like Chris pretty much slammed the U of M. He's never really cared for the Tigers, I don't believe

How so?

Saying that academics may be the reason that UofM doesn't get in isn't a slam. Hell, we're still trying to enroll a basketball player right now that has missed almost a month of class already.

Saying that the Grizz have a bigger connection to the young people in the city isn't likely untrue either.

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - Marc Mensa - 09-13-2016 10:19 AM

He didn't slam the University. He just spoke the truth. We are late to the game football wise. And the grizzlies have overtaken the Tigers for the heart of the average Memphis basketball fan.

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - mairving - 09-13-2016 10:20 AM

(09-13-2016 10:17 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  
(09-13-2016 10:11 AM)MemTiger90 Wrote:  Sounds like Chris pretty much slammed the U of M. He's never really cared for the Tigers, I don't believe

How so?

Saying that academics may be the reason that UofM doesn't get in isn't a slam. Hell, we're still trying to enroll a basketball player right now that has missed almost a month of class already.

Saying that the Grizz have a bigger connection to the young people in the city isn't likely untrue either.

I think it's more that he is a Grizzlies and NBA fan rather than a Memphis and College fan.

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - salukiblue - 09-13-2016 10:23 AM

(09-13-2016 10:20 AM)mairving Wrote:  

How so?

I think it's more that he is a Grizzlies and NBA fan rather than a Memphis and College fan.

I agree.

But, just because he prefers the professional product doesn't mean he is slamming the Tigers.

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - 2tigers - 09-13-2016 10:26 AM

(09-13-2016 10:19 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  He didn't slam the University. He just spoke the truth. We are late to the game football wise. And the grizzlies have overtaken the Tigers for the heart of the average Memphis basketball fan.

As long as they are winning. If they start loosing attendance will go down. Just like the U of M has in BB. Memphis want support a team if they are losing. Never have and never will. Just hope the FB team keeps winning.

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - fsquid - 09-13-2016 10:41 AM

well he is employed by the Grizz right?

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - FranklinTNTiger - 09-13-2016 10:51 AM

I hate to say this but it appears that our academics are much worst than any of us want to admit. If you don't believe it, there's a reason why we were never seriously considered. Obviously this caught everyone off guard including Dr. Rudd...

Not sure how they quantify academics but it's got to be bad when we were totally left out!!

How so?

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - UMTiger02 - 09-13-2016 10:56 AM

I didn't see anything slamming the university.

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - BERT56 - 09-13-2016 11:03 AM

Who is this Chris Vernon chic y'all keep talking about?

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - Dynamos - 09-13-2016 11:09 AM

(09-13-2016 10:51 AM)FranklinTNTiger Wrote:  I hate to say this but it appears that our academics are much worst than any of us want to admit. If you don't believe it, there's a reason why we were never seriously considered. Obviously this caught everyone off guard including Dr. Rudd...

Not sure how they quantify academics but it's got to be bad when we were totally left out!!

How so?

BS. How do they even determine if a schools academics are good or bad? What is their grading/ranking system based on? A college education is a college education

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - UMTiger02 - 09-13-2016 11:09 AM

(09-13-2016 11:03 AM)BERT56 Wrote:  Who is this Chris Vernon chic y'all keep talking about?

That was funny the first hundred times...

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - shere khan - 09-13-2016 11:10 AM

NTR

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - UMTiger02 - 09-13-2016 11:10 AM

The Grizzlies do connect to the youth more. Kids want to see the NBA guys. A lot of it has to do with the same core of guys, Mike, Marc, Zbo and Tony and playoff runs as opposed to Josh Pastner and losing to rat teams.

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - salukiblue - 09-13-2016 11:22 AM

(09-13-2016 11:09 AM)Dynamos Wrote:  
(09-13-2016 10:51 AM)FranklinTNTiger Wrote:  I hate to say this but it appears that our academics are much worst than any of us want to admit. If you don't believe it, there's a reason why we were never seriously considered. Obviously this caught everyone off guard including Dr. Rudd...

How so?

BS. How do they even determine if a schools academics are good or bad? What is their grading/ranking system based on? A college education is a college education

Based on average gpa's and test scores for incoming frosh, based on dropout rates, graduation rates. Then there are subjective measures like asking other presidents to "rank" schools academic reputation.

Not saying it is right or wrong, just explaining a portion of the methodology.

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - Dynamos - 09-13-2016 11:30 AM

(09-13-2016 11:22 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  

How so?

Based on average gpa's and test scores for incoming frosh, based on dropout rates, graduation rates. Then there are subjective measures like asking other presidents to "rank" schools academic reputation.

Where can I find a list of where Memphis ranks?

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - Trapper John - 09-13-2016 11:34 AM

How so?

Maybe its because part of the U of M's academic goal is to provide access to all people in the Memphis region in spite of single test scores or lower gpa's. Power 5 schools only show such "charity" if the student can play a sport. Maybe the P5 and their light years better academic standards should apply those high standards to their student athletes.

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - cscottl1981 - 09-13-2016 11:38 AM

(09-13-2016 11:34 AM)Trapper John Wrote:  

(09-13-2016 10:17 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  How so?

Maybe its because part of the U of M's academic goal is to provide access to all people in the Memphis region in spite of single test scores or lower gpa's. Power 5 schools only show such "charity" if the student can play a sport. Maybe the P5 and their light years better academic standards should apply those high standards to their student athletes.

Preach.

RE: Chris Vernon speaks - 80sTiger - 09-13-2016 11:43 AM

I still ain't buying it.