CSNbbs
Two UofM articles in the CA today - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Two UofM articles in the CA today (/thread-790272.html)

Pages: 1 2

Two UofM articles in the CA today - 3601 - 09-10-2016 10:54 AM

Not much real substance from Evanoff and Stuke.

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - tigerjamesc - 09-10-2016 12:07 PM

The Evanoff article was interesting in that he says we are most likely still in the hunt for a B12 bid...he also adds we will most likely lose out to bigger markets

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - Bathtub Gin - 09-10-2016 12:11 PM

But but but Caulkins said it was over! Seriously tho, im surprised the CA let him publish that since it contradicts what their highest paid writer published a week ago

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - tigerjamesc - 09-10-2016 12:39 PM

It seems to me from reading the tea leaves that we probably have indications we will not be selected...maybe they invited 4 schools to present to the B12 and we weren't one. Perhaps we believe we don't have a great chance but haven't been officially eliminated. Until that happens, there's always a shot to be had

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - holyterror - 09-10-2016 12:54 PM

It would not be the first time a sports writer got it bass ackwards.

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - Cotten - 09-10-2016 12:57 PM

It would not be the first time that movers and shakers used the press as a tool in high profile negotiations.

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - Brother Bluto - 09-10-2016 01:00 PM

Big Bob is a mover and shaker ?

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - memp600 - 09-10-2016 01:18 PM

Evanoff mosltly writes articles on business and development. I'm not sure how much he knows about the Big 12 expansion subject. It's an interesting read though. I've always been interested in what he has to say. I do find it funny that we still haven't heard from the Big 12 or the University.

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - snowtiger - 09-10-2016 01:20 PM

My tea leaves were saying over and over that we were not in the BigX this time. But I was just waiting to see what happened.

It was pretty sad, tho, to watch us celebrate before the end of the race...knowing that disappointment was a monster--lurking, laughing and ready to devour us all....

ok. enuff.

We fight like fiercer Tigers!

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - Halfcourt - 09-10-2016 03:28 PM

(09-10-2016 01:18 PM)memp600 Wrote:  Evanoff mosltly writes articles on business and development. I'm not sure how much he knows about the Big 12 expansion subject. It's an interesting read though. I've always been interested in what he has to say. I do find it funny that we still haven't heard from the Big 12 or the University.

Which for this subject are better sources then the speculators that Calkins is trusting. Calkin's piece was his opinion based on the ESPN/McMurphy report. The CA printed Evanoff's piece, because is was based on solid information and news, with real sources (not opinion and speculation).

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - true_blue_thru_and_thru - 09-10-2016 03:52 PM

I'm pretty sure we're out because I doubt Caulkins and McMurphy would depend on a non-dependable source but has either said what kind of source? Like high level Big XII source or high level school source? Again, not doubting either just curious.

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - Halfcourt - 09-10-2016 04:10 PM

(09-10-2016 03:52 PM)true_blue_thru_and_thru Wrote:  I'm pretty sure we're out because I doubt Caulkins and McMurphy would depend on a non-dependable source but has either said what kind of source? Like high level Big XII source or high level school source? Again, not doubting either just curious.

I believe that McMurphy had solid information on who was presenting to the B12 this week. I believe he is speculating that this is the cut list, and any school not presenting was out.

If we had been told is over, and our Admin. believed we had no chance, then Rudd would have released a statement.

I think it is reasonable to believe that our Admin and Corporate Memphis are working all channels to get us to the table. We may end up not getting there, but it's not done, yet. All JMHO.

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - true_blue_thru_and_thru - 09-10-2016 04:14 PM

(09-10-2016 04:10 PM)Halfcourt Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 03:52 PM)true_blue_thru_and_thru Wrote:  I'm pretty sure we're out because I doubt Caulkins and McMurphy would depend on a non-dependable source but has either said what kind of source? Like high level Big XII source or high level school source? Again, not doubting either just curious.

I believe that McMurphy had solid information on who was presenting to the B12 this week. I believe he is speculating that this is the cut list, and any school not presenting was out.

If we had been told is over, and our Admin. believed we had no chance, then Rudd would have released a statement.

I think it is reasonable to believe that our Admin and Corporate Memphis are working all channels to get us to the table. We may end up not getting there, but it's not done, yet. All JMHO.

Hmm, that would make sense re: going off the list of presenters. Guess only time will tell.

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - msu65 - 09-10-2016 04:55 PM

(09-10-2016 04:14 PM)true_blue_thru_and_thru Wrote:  

Hmm, that would make sense re: going off the list of presenters. Guess only time will tell.

Not necessarily. The non disclosure states that it extends throughout the process. We may be following that to the letter and the administration will make an announcement only after the Big XII has completed this process (if you can call it that) and finalizes a decision about expansion.

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - true_blue_thru_and_thru - 09-10-2016 05:49 PM

(09-10-2016 04:55 PM)msu65 Wrote:  

Not necessarily. The non disclosure states that it extends throughout the process. We may be following that to the letter and the administration will make an announcement only after the Big XII has completed this process (if you can call it that) and finalizes a decision about expansion.

Def possible too but not sure what would motivate Rudd and Co. to keep it under wraps for that long but who knows anything at this point...

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - Halfcourt - 09-10-2016 06:01 PM

(09-10-2016 05:49 PM)true_blue_thru_and_thru Wrote:  

Def possible too but not sure what would motivate Rudd and Co. to keep it under wraps for that long but who knows anything at this point...

Rudd is one of the most PR savvy prez we've had in a long time. He wouldn't let a NDA keep him from communicating to the masses that we have been eliminated.

NDA or not, there are ways to get the word out without breaching his ethics or the contract.

Again, they may announce tomorrow B12 expansion with teams not U of Memphis, but to date, I do not believe our effort has stopped. More than likely it has intensified. If not for this round, maybe the next or the one after that. Again all JMHO and probably just wishful thinking.

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - Cotten - 09-10-2016 06:12 PM

(09-10-2016 01:00 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  Big Bob is a mover and shaker ?

My hope is the guy(s) who talked to McMurphy/Calkins is/are.

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - ksigtigerdood - 09-10-2016 06:17 PM

There have been plenty of other schools that have publicly announced they are out. Big XII isn't exactly throwing lawsuits around based on the non-disclosure.

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - tigerlands - 09-10-2016 08:11 PM

Maybe McMurphy found out last week that Memphis was not presenting in Dallas, and just assumed that meant we are out. But it could be that the Big 12 has all the info it needs on Memphis and didn't need another round of meetings. Who knows. I find it odd that neither Memphis or the Big 12 has said anything.

RE: Two UofM articles in the CA today - 3601 - 09-10-2016 08:22 PM

Another story in the CA tonight. This is really exhausting. I'm sure it is over, but would love some "official" closure.