CSNbbs
Columbus Dispatch and New Low in MAC Coverage - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Toledo (/forum-479.html)
+----- Thread: Columbus Dispatch and New Low in MAC Coverage (/thread-788952.html)

Columbus Dispatch and New Low in MAC Coverage - northcoastRocket - 08-31-2016 07:17 AM

[minor rant on]The Blade and the Plain Dealer have never been examples of great reporting on the MAC, but at least they try sometimes. The CD seems to set a new low though. Consider their MAC football preview article:

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2016/08/30/col-fb-preview-section/mid-american-conference.html

Ignoring that it is primarily an article on BG, that uses a picture from Akron. Ignore that it is a collection of random factoids that don's connect together to really form a story, and they don't even mention nearby OU, not even to point to the separate article on them. (Don't mention BSU either).

But the paragraph on UT is just sad. Apparently the reporter really thinks we used to be coached by former NFL QB Jason Campbell, because he actually created a joke around he and Candle having the same first name. I also don't know who this Whiteside is that is supposed to be our starting QB. At least he knows that Woodley is from Columbus.

I swear it is not gonna be long before newpapers start replacing reporters with random-word generators. I wonder if anyone will notice.[rant off]

RE: Columbus Dispatch and New Low in MAC Coverage - FtLauderdaleRocket - 08-31-2016 07:37 AM

Hassan Whiteside is going to play QB? I thought the Miami Heat just re-signed him? 03-wink

RE: Columbus Dispatch and New Low in MAC Coverage - Rocket Pirate - 08-31-2016 08:02 AM

(08-31-2016 07:17 AM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  [minor rant on]The Blade and the Plain Dealer have never been examples of great reporting on the MAC, but at least they try sometimes. The CD seems to set a new low though. Consider their MAC football preview article:

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2016/08/30/col-fb-preview-section/mid-american-conference.html

Ignoring that it is primarily an article on BG, that uses a picture from Akron. Ignore that it is a collection of random factoids that don's connect together to really form a story, and they don't even mention nearby OU, not even to point to the separate article on them. (Don't mention BSU either).

But the paragraph on UT is just sad. Apparently the reporter really thinks we used to be coached by former NFL QB Jason Campbell, because he actually created a joke around he and Candle having the same first name. I also don't know who this Whiteside is that is supposed to be our starting QB. At least he knows that Woodley is from Columbus.

I swear it is not gonna be long before newpapers start replacing reporters with random-word generators. I wonder if anyone will notice.[rant off]

Wow, that's just... wow...

Also, the AP is already using robot writers and has been doing so for the last couple years.

RE: Columbus Dispatch and New Low in MAC Coverage - H2Oville Rocket - 08-31-2016 08:24 AM

(08-31-2016 08:02 AM)Rocket Pirate Wrote:  
(08-31-2016 07:17 AM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  [minor rant on]The Blade and the Plain Dealer have never been examples of great reporting on the MAC, but at least they try sometimes. The CD seems to set a new low though. Consider their MAC football preview article:

Also, the AP is already using robot writers and has been doing so for the last couple years.

Monkeys with typewriters come to fruition.

RE: Columbus Dispatch and New Low in MAC Coverage - Rocket Pirate - 08-31-2016 08:29 AM

(08-31-2016 08:24 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(08-31-2016 08:02 AM)Rocket Pirate Wrote:  

Monkeys with typewriters come to fruition.

"It was the best of times, it was the BLURST of times?!?"
[Image: tYoIqtG.png]

RE: Columbus Dispatch and New Low in MAC Coverage - Toledo Football 1st - 08-31-2016 10:12 AM

(08-31-2016 08:02 AM)Rocket Pirate Wrote:  Wow, that's just... wow...

The way the story is written it would not surprise me. Either that or the writer is recovering from a massive head injury.

RE: Columbus Dispatch and New Low in MAC Coverage - Terry - 08-31-2016 10:35 AM

I left a little review of the article.......

RE: Columbus Dispatch and New Low in MAC Coverage - Rocket Pirate - 08-31-2016 11:08 AM

(08-31-2016 10:12 AM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  
(08-31-2016 08:02 AM)Rocket Pirate Wrote:  Wow, that's just... wow...

The way the story is written it would not surprise me. Either that or the writer is recovering from a massive head injury.

If it was a robot writer, it wouldn't have gotten names wrong, unless the names were wrong in the UT media guide. The robot sports stories are usually with game recaps, where a template is used and the AP program just grabs stats and names from box scores.

The head injury makes some sense, but the "one fine coach named Jason with Mount Union roots for another" is just very confusing. The whole article is just very poorly written and disjointed. If I was the writer, I'd rather have an ambiguous "Dispatch Staff" in the byline.

RE: Columbus Dispatch and New Low in MAC Coverage - H2Oville Rocket - 08-31-2016 12:25 PM

(08-31-2016 10:35 AM)Terry Wrote:  I left a little review of the article.......

Me too! Well done, Terry, I might add!

RE: Columbus Dispatch and New Low in MAC Coverage - Terry - 08-31-2016 05:42 PM

(08-31-2016 12:25 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(08-31-2016 10:35 AM)Terry Wrote:  I left a little review of the article.......

Me too! Well done, Terry, I might add!

03-thumbsup

RE: Columbus Dispatch and New Low in MAC Coverage - ToledoMike - 08-31-2016 08:42 PM

Wow, this is just horrible...I won't even comment further. And the AP picked it up and put it on the wire? 01-wingedeagle

The only article I have seen in my lifetime that may come close to as much fail as this one was from my hometown paper. There was an annual "Pork Festival" in a nearby town in the neighboring county. Each year they crowned a girl as queen for the festival. Our local paper showed the picture of that year's winner, who happened to be a cute young teen from our area. Unfortunately, the title of the article read "[Name of Girl] Crowned as Pork Queer". 03-lmfao

RE: Columbus Dispatch and New Low in MAC Coverage - inductchuck16 - 08-31-2016 10:31 PM

(08-31-2016 08:42 PM)ToledoMike Wrote:  Wow, this is just horrible...I won't even comment further. And the AP picked it up and put it on the wire? 01-wingedeagle

The only article I have seen in my lifetime that may come close to as much fail as this one was from my hometown paper. There was an annual "Pork Festival" in a nearby town in the neighboring county. Each year they crowned a girl as queen for the festival. Our local paper showed the picture of that year's winner, who happened to be a cute young teen from our area. Unfortunately, the title of the article read "[Name of Girl] Crowned as Pork Queer". 03-lmfao

03-lmfao03-lmfao

PROOFREAD...and then proofread some more.

RE: Columbus Dispatch and New Low in MAC Coverage - ToledoMike - 09-02-2016 05:42 PM

(08-31-2016 10:31 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  
(08-31-2016 08:42 PM)ToledoMike Wrote:  Wow, this is just horrible...I won't even comment further. And the AP picked it up and put it on the wire? 01-wingedeagle

03-lmfao03-lmfao

PROOFREAD...and then proofread some more.

Right! And don't forget the headline or title too, haha!