CSNbbs
Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? (/thread-787959.html)

Pages: 1 2

Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - bullet - 08-22-2016 08:50 AM

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/plenty-of-fcs-schools-awaiting-big-12s-expansion-move/

Kristi Dosh on FCS schools possibly impacted by a Big 12 expansion.

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - The Cutter of Bish - 08-22-2016 10:27 AM

The trickle-down is really interesting. When you consider the murmurs from:

James Madison
Liberty
Stony Brook
EKU
Wichita State
Missouri State
Lamar
SHSU
Illinois State

Some, but not all will be impacted to varying degrees. Consider something like the AAC only losing one school, and it probably comes out of CUSA to replace that loss. Now, what does CUSA do? Dip into MAC (assuming anyone wants to leave it), or go to Sun Belt, or directly into FCS? Going into FCS is probably more disruptive than going into Sun Belt, because the list of schools willing to go to Sun Belt is more limited than ones receptive for CUSA or MAC.

Imagine if AAC loses one, and they go to CUSA, who goes to Sun Belt, who then goes to NMSU. Talk about clean.

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - DavidSt - 08-22-2016 10:58 AM

UTRGV and North Dakota State as well.

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - uconnwhaler - 08-22-2016 11:02 AM

(08-22-2016 10:27 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  The trickle-down is really interesting. When you consider the murmurs from:

James Madison
Liberty
Stony Brook
EKU
Wichita State
Missouri State
Lamar
SHSU
Illinois State

Some, but not all will be impacted to varying degrees. Consider something like the AAC only losing one school, and it probably comes out of CUSA to replace that loss. Now, what does CUSA do? Dip into MAC (assuming anyone wants to leave it), or go to Sun Belt, or directly into FCS? Going into FCS is probably more disruptive than going into Sun Belt, because the list of schools willing to go to Sun Belt is more limited than ones receptive for CUSA or MAC.

Imagine if AAC loses one, and they go to CUSA, who goes to Sun Belt, who then goes to NMSU. Talk about clean.

If the American loses 1 or 2 schools there really is no reason to backfill at this point. They can have a conference championship with 10 teams and play a round-robin in football. Basketball would require extra OOC, but I think they would stand pat for at least a year or two.

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - MplsBison - 08-22-2016 11:07 AM

Could see UTEP and UTSA/Rice to the MWC. Maybe. But tough if it loses no schools.

Even still, don't see how JMU will be able to vault into the CUSA with ODU, which is what it desires.

EKU might be next in line for Sun Belt, or MO St.

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - ken d - 08-22-2016 11:46 AM

I don't expect any Big XII moves to impact the FCS.

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - Georgia_Power_Company - 08-22-2016 11:47 AM

CUSA isn't adding anyone unless they fall below 10 or at an uneven number. My prediction - realignment stops with CUSA and no FCS team will get called up this time.

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - Centdukesfan - 08-22-2016 11:56 AM

dukes to big 12

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - ken d - 08-22-2016 11:56 AM

Without changes to the CFP revenue distribution formula, pretty much any FCS moveups will cause financial dilution for the conference that invites them. That's a big disincentive for those conferences.

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - MplsBison - 08-22-2016 11:57 AM

Unless CUSA dropped to nine, I guess. Lose four to AAC and UTEP to MWC.

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - DavidSt - 08-22-2016 11:59 AM

People keep saying CFP money would dilute the conferences. It does not if there are more bowls added where money could still be brought into conferences. SBC wanted to added a couple of more bowls including the Little Rock Bowl.

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - Georgia_Power_Company - 08-22-2016 12:04 PM

(08-22-2016 11:59 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  People keep saying CFP money would dilute the conferences. It does not if there are more bowls added where money could still be brought into conferences. SBC wanted to added a couple of more bowls including the Little Rock Bowl.

Little Rock Bowl is dead because they couldn't get their ducks in a row. The only bowl SBC was talking about adding was the Medal of Honor Bowl in Charleston SC that wanted to move from an All-Star format to a regular bowl format but that has been tabled because of what happened last year. Since that Bowl isn't going to happen SBC jumped at the chance to add the Arizona Bowl as a primary tie in. SBC has 5 Bowl games for 10 teams which seems like a perfect number.

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - The Cutter of Bish - 08-22-2016 12:10 PM

(08-22-2016 10:58 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  UTRGV and North Dakota State as well.

NDSU says they're not moving up. Those others (forgot about RGV) have left it open. I mean, heck, you could throw in a couple of the CAAF members, like Towson and Delaware for good measure, since they come up in these things, or the Big Sky collective move-up.

I think the "hot list" isn't as big. We know most of the names...same as it's been, really.

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - ken d - 08-22-2016 12:13 PM

(08-22-2016 11:59 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  People keep saying CFP money would dilute the conferences. It does not if there are more bowls added where money could still be brought into conferences. SBC wanted to added a couple of more bowls including the Little Rock Bowl.

New bowls don't add anything to the CFP revenues or payouts. They are unrelated. And marginal new bowls don't add any significant revenue to anybody. They just give more teams a chance to play in the post season. The costs incurred by the participating teams pretty much soak up all the bowl payout, leaving hardly anything for their conferences to share.

And, at this point, unless the NCAA changes eligibility rules, there already aren't enough teams to fill existing commitments. If a new bowl comes in, an existing one has to go away.

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - NoDak - 08-22-2016 12:31 PM

(08-22-2016 12:10 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  

NDSU says they're not moving up. Those others (forgot about RGV) have left it open. I mean, heck, you could throw in a couple of the CAAF members, like Towson and Delaware for good measure, since they come up in these things, or the Big Sky collective move-up.

I think the "hot list" isn't as big. We know most of the names...same as it's been, really.

Coastal Carolina wasn't on any hot list until they started talking with the Sun Belt.

They did the even have a 10k stadium, their attendance reflected that, and their FCS conference was not a power one (Big South).

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - Georgia_Power_Company - 08-22-2016 12:42 PM

(08-22-2016 12:31 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(08-22-2016 12:10 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  

Coastal Carolina wasn't on any hot list until they started talking with the Sun Belt.

They did the even have a 10k stadium, their attendance reflected that, and their FCS conference was not a power one (Big South).

Yes but Coastal Carolina was added for Basketball and Olympics first and foremost giving App St a coveted travel partner. Playing football in the Sun Belt was just an added bonus.

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - MplsBison - 08-22-2016 01:19 PM

I think Coastal will be a great add for the Sun Belt.

NDSU has a JMU complex.

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - The Cutter of Bish - 08-22-2016 02:08 PM

True, but there were murmurs Coastal was getting pretty tired with the nonsense they were getting from SoCon and CAA. I don't know if that meant "go big or go home" became their mission statement, but it was true of Liberty as well, and Liberty kind of "came from nowhere" some years back, too.

I think the one closest to Coastal status is SHSU and Wichita State. Two schools that are now interested when, maybe a year ago, we were like, "who?"

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - TOPSTRAIGHT - 08-22-2016 02:16 PM

Is this Illinois State interest real to move up or do they just keep showing up on lists ?

RE: Big 12 moves impact on FCS? - bullet - 08-22-2016 04:56 PM

(08-22-2016 02:16 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Is this Illinois State interest real to move up or do they just keep showing up on lists ?
They have wanted to move up for a long time. They just haven't been able to afford it. I don't know that anything has changed on the finance side.