CSNbbs
Saturday Night Practice Thoughts - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Saturday Night Practice Thoughts (/thread-787892.html)

Saturday Night Practice Thoughts - 7 - 08-21-2016 11:11 AM

Made the trip to Huskie Stadium for practice last night. It was pouring for the first 15 minutes of practice, but they never went indoors.

As somebody who has been vocally skeptical about Hare being ready for the opener this offseason, he'll be ready to go for Wyoming. He took every snap with the 1s and probably 70% of the reps in 7 on 7s and team.

I didn't think either Hare or Graham looked particularly strong yesterday. Graham in particular missed an open Maddie and open Jones on the first two plays of Redzone for what should have been TDs. Hare was inaccurate, but I will say his arm strength was there and he seemed to be healthy running around.

Folliard didn't practice, but it didn't appear to be anything serious. The starters on both sides were status quo. Kenny, Deucee, and Blake were the top guys at WR with DJ Brown (who you would swear is TLL because of his size and wearing #10), Saffold, Tears, Maddie, and Glasper will be the group of WRs this year.

NIU has the best group of corners I can remember since I started following the program in 2003. Lurry (obviously), Smalls, and Olootu all have the potential to be really good.

With two new coordinators, I was interested to see if there were any drastic changes scheme wise. The defense looks very similar. Not sure you'll see many changes at all on that side of the ball. Noticed Sutton Smith playing the "Huskie" position at time. Offense was similar, but there were some new wrinkles which would be obvious to anyone watching it. I don't know if it was because it was practice and they're trying to get as many reps as possible or what, but the offense was moving at warp speed yesterday. Very little time between snaps during team activity. I think you'll see more 3-4 WR sets than you saw the last couple years as well.

Huff had his shoes tied and everything.

13 days!

RE: Saturday Night Practice Thoughts - Rabid Squirrel - 08-21-2016 11:23 AM

Could you clarify "Huskie" position please? Have high hopes for Suttin to be an impact player this season.

RE: Saturday Night Practice Thoughts - 7 - 08-21-2016 11:24 AM

(08-21-2016 11:23 AM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  Could you clarify "Huskie" position please? Have high hopes for Suttin to be an impact player this season.

The position Ford played the last couple years. Hybrid LB/DE.

RE: Saturday Night Practice Thoughts - NIUTrekker - 08-21-2016 11:30 AM

Thanks for the summary! Do you think the weather caused the poor QB play or was it just an anomalous day?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

RE: Saturday Night Practice Thoughts - 7 - 08-21-2016 11:32 AM

(08-21-2016 11:30 AM)NIUTrekker Wrote:  Thanks for the summary! Do you think the weather caused the poor QB play or was it just an anomalous day?

Probably a mix of both. Honestly, from my experience going to practice usually the defense looks better than the offense. I'll never forget going to a scrimmage two weeks before the Iowa game the Orange Bowl year. Short of two huge runs by KHJ (which ended up getting him on the field and scoring a TD against Iowa as a true freshman), the offense was just a total disaster. We saw how that ended up.

In short, it's nothing I would spend time worrying about.

RE: Saturday Night Practice Thoughts - NIUTrekker - 08-21-2016 11:38 AM

Thanks 7, your in depth overview and objective analysis is always appreciated. Living in the DC area forces me to rely on the Dog Pound for insight otherwise not available.

RE: Saturday Night Practice Thoughts - 142niu - 08-21-2016 12:05 PM

Thanks for the report!

RE: Saturday Night Practice Thoughts - dekalb222 - 08-21-2016 12:15 PM

7, the offense was terrible in that Iowa game! Going by what you are saying they will stink against Wyoming and then get better.

RE: Saturday Night Practice Thoughts - Rabid Squirrel - 08-21-2016 12:25 PM

(08-21-2016 11:24 AM)7 Wrote:  
(08-21-2016 11:23 AM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  Could you clarify "Huskie" position please? Have high hopes for Suttin to be an impact player this season.

The position Ford played the last couple years. Hybrid LB/DE.

At about 205 Smith seems a bit small to be effective that close to the line. I can't help wonder with his speed and athleticism if he could be a nice sized safety??

RE: Saturday Night Practice Thoughts - thxjoenovak - 08-21-2016 12:28 PM

(08-21-2016 11:11 AM)7 Wrote:  Made the trip to Huskie Stadium for practice last night. It was pouring for the first 15 minutes of practice, but they never went indoors.

As somebody who has been vocally skeptical about Hare being ready for the opener this offseason, he'll be ready to go for Wyoming. He took every snap with the 1s and probably 70% of the reps in 7 on 7s and team.

I didn't think either Hare or Graham looked particularly strong yesterday. Graham in particular missed an open Maddie and open Jones on the first two plays of Redzone for what should have been TDs. Hare was inaccurate, but I will say his arm strength was there and he seemed to be healthy running around.

Folliard didn't practice, but it didn't appear to be anything serious. The starters on both sides were status quo. Kenny, Deucee, and Blake were the top guys at WR with DJ Brown (who you would swear is TLL because of his size and wearing #10), Saffold, Tears, Maddie, and Glasper will be the group of WRs this year.

NIU has the best group of corners I can remember since I started following the program in 2003. Lurry (obviously), Smalls, and Olootu all have the potential to be really good.

With two new coordinators, I was interested to see if there were any drastic changes scheme wise. The defense looks very similar. Not sure you'll see many changes at all on that side of the ball. Noticed Sutton Smith playing the "Huskie" position at time. Offense was similar, but there were some new wrinkles which would be obvious to anyone watching it. I don't know if it was because it was practice and they're trying to get as many reps as possible or what, but the offense was moving at warp speed yesterday. Very little time between snaps during team activity. I think you'll see more 3-4 WR sets than you saw the last couple years as well.

13 days!

Appreciate the recap. Especially the Huff update. 04-cheers

RE: Saturday Night Practice Thoughts - VegasHuskie - 08-21-2016 11:57 PM

(08-21-2016 11:11 AM)7 Wrote:  Made the trip to Huskie Stadium for practice last night. It was pouring for the first 15 minutes of practice, but they never went indoors.

13 days!

Thanks for the recap, Seven. Hare being inaccurate isn't exactly shocking news. He's perfectly capable of overthrowing the world even on his best day. Glad to hear he looks mobile, though. I like Drew Hare. If he's used properly, I think he's a great asset for the Huskies.

Saturday Night Practice Thoughts - NIU8484 - 08-22-2016 07:36 AM

Per usual great write up! Love the corner love you throwing out there, if the d line can be adequate we should be solid with those boys back there

RE: Saturday Night Practice Thoughts - NIU05 - 08-22-2016 10:04 AM

Thanks for the update 7.

RE: Saturday Night Practice Thoughts - badmoonrising13 - 08-22-2016 08:14 PM

(08-21-2016 11:57 PM)VegasHuskie Wrote:  

13 days!

Thanks for the recap, Seven. Hare being inaccurate isn't exactly shocking news. He's perfectly capable of overthrowing the world even on his best day. Glad to hear he looks mobile, though. I like Drew Hare. If he's used properly, I think he's a great asset for the Huskies.

Hare was completing 70 percent of his passes through the first several games last year before getting handcuffed in the Ohio State and BC games. I thinks he's very accurate and the coaches need to trust him more and let him loose this year.

RE: Saturday Night Practice Thoughts - NIUSAE - 08-22-2016 10:12 PM

Has Folliard been practicing at all? He was on the sideline the first Saturday of camp.