CSNbbs
New TV Commercial - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: New TV Commercial (/thread-787754.html)

New TV Commercial - ExcitedOwl18 - 08-19-2016 11:41 AM

https://youtu.be/aJ9A5yGQ7i8

It's not bad, but I still don't like the whole "Unconventional" theme that we've been running with.

RE: New TV Commercial - westsidewolf1989 - 08-19-2016 12:31 PM

(08-19-2016 11:41 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  https://youtu.be/aJ9A5yGQ7i8

It's not bad, but I still don't like the whole "Unconventional" theme that we've been running with.

We are being unconventional in not hiring another marketing/branding firm, apparently.

RE: New TV Commercial - cr11owl - 08-19-2016 01:17 PM

Well, the quality has gone up at least. Not my favorite commercial but definitely better than what we've had.

RE: New TV Commercial - Barrett - 08-19-2016 02:24 PM

Rice commercials have always been second-rate and somewhat amateurish, in my opinion.

Here's a good one from Notre Dame:

A good one from Stanford:

RE: New TV Commercial - Pan95 - 08-19-2016 02:38 PM

The comments on the Stanford video are the lulz.

RE: New TV Commercial - ChicagoOwl (BS '07) - 08-19-2016 02:56 PM

Ugh. Inconsistent fonts / incoherent aesthetic. Video clips range from professional to completely amateur.
"Unconventional Wisdom" was never a logical/relevant slogan to begin with.
Etc, etc, etc.

RE: New TV Commercial - Barrett - 08-19-2016 03:00 PM

Yeah, I never liked the "Unconventional Wisdom" tagline. Most elite schools don't need to have a slogan or tagline because those things seem cheap.

UT has "What starts here changes the world," and I think that's okay. It's a little less slogan-y and certainly has more substance than "unconventional wisdom" (I mean, what is that?).

Rice needs to hire a good PR firm that understands what Rice is about, what it's perceived to be, and, most importantly, what it aspires to be perceived to be.

This Mickey Mouse high-school-edited stuff is just plain lame, in my opinion.

RE: New TV Commercial - Almadenmike - 08-19-2016 04:48 PM

I don't find the new commercial objectionable, except for the thin, low-gravitas narration. It packed a lot into those 30 seconds. But it does seem more suited for online audiences than broadcast TV.

RE: New TV Commercial - THRILL - 08-19-2016 08:02 PM

here's what they are doing right

its a spot that's shown most often during the free commercial time at halftime of football game.
So they're including athletics in the ad. Which is a move in the right direction.

it shows more of the student life / non academic or "FUN" parts of school

it highlights that RICE contributes to the world , something that appeals to the RICE TYPE

I like the way its headed. So lets give credit for doing things better, lets just get better next year

what's wrong ?
I think the cuts are too quick, ( they tried to include more that just football/baseball in the ad, as someone that's written /directed TV ads I know 30 seconds is at the same time MORE time that you think it is and less . So its not always as easy as some might think.

heres what I would do different

show more student life, the "fun". Beer bike, Residential life, keep the athletics in ,, it is an ad shown during a game ( sports fans are the target audience )

fewer images, fewer cuts , more close ups of smiles

and the last line ..ugh
"The Premier research institution in the heart of Houston " or whatever that line was,, LAME
It almost backhanded compliment. being the best in the 4th largest city in the US is placing limitations on our own image.. WHY ?

heres a better line and I'm not even trying hard.
Rice is bigger than Houston, its bigger than Texas it is a premier academic institution in the world and we make a difference ever single day.

as the camera pulls back from Houston, Texas the US,, the world,, then the moon

and then NASA radio signal .. kkgkggg , Houston the OWL has landing

and superimpose that OWL image from the centennial on the freaking moon.

mic drop

RE: New TV Commercial - Barrett - 08-19-2016 08:46 PM

I also vote for no more commercials featuring JFK's speech. I figure I'm in the minority here.

RE: New TV Commercial - Barney - 08-20-2016 02:39 PM

(08-19-2016 08:02 PM)THRILL Wrote:  here's what they are doing right

its a spot that's shown most often during the free commercial time at halftime of football game.
So they're including athletics in the ad. Which is a move in the right direction.

it shows more of the student life / non academic or "FUN" parts of school

it highlights that RICE contributes to the world , something that appeals to the RICE TYPE

I like the way its headed. So lets give credit for doing things better, lets just get better next year

what's wrong ?
I think the cuts are too quick, ( they tried to include more that just football/baseball in the ad, as someone that's written /directed TV ads I know 30 seconds is at the same time MORE time that you think it is and less . So its not always as easy as some might think.

heres what I would do different

show more student life, the "fun". Beer bike, Residential life, keep the athletics in ,, it is an ad shown during a game ( sports fans are the target audience )

fewer images, fewer cuts , more close ups of smiles

and the last line ..ugh
"The Premier research institution in the heart of Houston " or whatever that line was,, LAME
It almost backhanded compliment. being the best in the 4th largest city in the US is placing limitations on our own image.. WHY ?

heres a better line and I'm not even trying hard.
Rice is bigger than Houston, its bigger than Texas it is a premier academic institution in the world and we make a difference ever single day.

as the camera pulls back from Houston, Texas the US,, the world,, then the moon

and then NASA radio signal .. kkgkggg , Houston the OWL has landing

and superimpose that OWL image from the centennial on the freaking moon.

mic drop

nice

RE: New TV Commercial - Barney - 08-20-2016 02:41 PM

(08-19-2016 08:46 PM)Barrett Wrote:  I also vote for no more commercials featuring JFK's speech. I figure I'm in the minority here.

+1, at least for awhile. It does need a rest.

RE: New TV Commercial - JSA - 08-22-2016 07:52 AM

(08-20-2016 02:41 PM)Barney Wrote:  
(08-19-2016 08:46 PM)Barrett Wrote:  I also vote for no more commercials featuring JFK's speech. I figure I'm in the minority here.

Or at least a different quote than why does Rice play Texas.

"We meet at a college noted for knowledge, in a city noted for progress, in a State noted for strength, and we stand in need of all three."

RE: New TV Commercial - OptimisticOwl - 08-22-2016 09:17 AM

(08-22-2016 07:52 AM)JSA Wrote:  Or at least a different quote than why does Rice play Texas.

"We meet at a college noted for knowledge, in a city noted for progress, in a State noted for strength, and we stand in need of all three."

Bingo.

The Conventional Wisdom stuff doesn't bother me so much. I am just glad that some sort of PR is being done.

RE: New TV Commercial - THRILL - 08-22-2016 08:05 PM

(08-22-2016 07:52 AM)JSA Wrote:  
(08-20-2016 02:41 PM)Barney Wrote:  

Or at least a different quote than why does Rice play Texas.

Not sure yall hear this the way I do, but Kennedys line and my suggested line are not all the different from one another. ( maybe I was channeling JFK) but there is a reason for that.

You highlight Houston and Texas ( which are positives) and Rice's potential in changing the world and a chance to be a part of that ( an emotional element when talking about a students future and selling them on where to start that future ) and presents it in a logical progression that makes it easier to remember ( or to be memorable).

And I'm not even the smartest person that posts here (obviously) I'm not the dumbest either ( not until Bacons wife makes him stop) . Marketing needs to make an emotional connection and give the listener a reason to explain what theyre feeling.

This car looks cool and is really safe , you buy the car cause it looks good, the "safety" makes you feel as if youre making a wise decision.

I hate typing,

RE: New TV Commercial - JSA - 08-23-2016 08:16 AM

"Not sure yall hear this the way I do, but Kennedys line and my suggested line are not all the different from one another."

Agree. I like your approach.

RE: New TV Commercial - OldOwl - 08-23-2016 08:27 AM

[attachment=8203]This would be pretty cool how we support the troops.