CSNbbs
Men's Basketball Spain Trip - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Men's Basketball Spain Trip (/thread-787688.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Men's Basketball Spain Trip - Blue_Trombone - 08-18-2016 04:46 PM

http://www.odusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31100&ATCLID=211131694

ODU lost the first game to Madrid All-Stars 65-64. Video with highlights at the link. Stat lines given are as follows:

Brandan Stith: 14pts; 9 rbs
Baker: 12 pts, 4-5 3Pt
BJ Stith: 9pts, 6rbs
Talley: 8 pts, 7rbs
Caver: 7 pts, 3rbs
Taylor: 9 rbs

UVA played this team about a week ago, and beat them by 2 I think.

RE: Men's Basketball Spain Trip - ODU_NYG - 08-18-2016 04:57 PM

(08-18-2016 04:46 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  http://www.odusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31100&ATCLID=211131694

ODU lost the first game to Madrid All-Stars 65-64. Video with highlights at the link. Stat lines given are as follows:

Brandan Stith went 14pts; 9 rbs

RE: Men's Basketball Spain Trip - ODU Oldtimer - 08-18-2016 05:23 PM

In the video, they looked good. Surprised the guys fell so far behind in the early stages of the game. However it was a nice team effort.....

Brandan Stith 14 points (6-11 FG) and nine rebounds.
Jordan Baker finished with 12 points on 4-5 shooting from deep.
B.J. Stith nine points and six rebounds,.
Zoran Talley eight points and seven boards.
Ahmad Caver seven points and three rebounds.
Denzell Taylor nine rebounds.

As a group the valiant effort for the comeback fell just short of a W.

This game is definitely the reason for this type of trip. I hope they come out strong for the next game and continue to bond and benefit from the experience of playing together. Again the highlights look good, but they obviously will learn from the experience of this trip.

Was wondering if Alassane Kah or Trey Porter had any contributions for this game. Would love to see both of them become big contributors. We will need an inside game moving forward to do well in conference.

Men's Basketball Spain Trip - Fatalisk - 08-18-2016 05:24 PM

(08-18-2016 04:46 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  http://www.odusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31100&ATCLID=211131694

Brandan Stith: 14pts; 9 rbs

Sounds like a decent result!

RE: Men's Basketball Spain Trip - CameramanJ - 08-18-2016 05:28 PM

A loss like this should begin the team's process of optimizing potency toward the end goal of success. No way to tell how many adjustments it will take to optimize, but I think we'll have a strong team by the time the C-USAT rolls around.

RE: Men's Basketball Spain Trip - monarx - 08-18-2016 05:34 PM

Hopefully Jordan Baker is not our second leading scorer all season, though if he averaged 12 a game I'd take it.

RE: Men's Basketball Spain Trip - Justanodufan - 08-18-2016 06:01 PM

(08-18-2016 05:23 PM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  In the video, they looked good. Surprised the guys fell so far behind in the early stages of the game. However it was a nice team effort.....

This game is definitely the reason for this type of trip. I hope they come out strong for the next game and continue to bond and benefit from the experience of playing together. Again the highlights look good, but they obviously will learn from the experience of this trip.

Was wondering if Alassane Kah or Trey Porter had any contributions for this game. Would love to see both of them become big contributors. We will need an inside game moving forward to do well in conference.

Kah didn't make the trip. Visa issues or something...... It was in the pilot a couple days ago

Men's Basketball Spain Trip - ODUCoach - 08-18-2016 06:02 PM

Kah isn't on the trip. He couldn't get his visa in time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Men's Basketball Spain Trip - ODU BBALL - 08-18-2016 06:03 PM

(08-18-2016 05:34 PM)monarx Wrote:  Hopefully Jordan Baker is not our second leading scorer all season, though if he averaged 12 a game I'd take it.

If he can hit like that from outside of the 3 point line during the season why would anyone care where he placed in the scoring? I'm hoping that it is an indication that he has worked hard (with success) during the off season on his 3 point accuracy. If so then that would be a big help to the team's success this year.

Men's Basketball Spain Trip - ODU_NYG - 08-18-2016 06:13 PM

(08-18-2016 06:03 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(08-18-2016 05:34 PM)monarx Wrote:  Hopefully Jordan Baker is not our second leading scorer all season, though if he averaged 12 a game I'd take it.

If he can hit like that from outside of the 3 point line during the season why would anyone care where he placed in the scoring? I'm hoping that it is an indication that he has worked hard (with success) during the off season on his 3 point accuracy. If so then that would be a big help to the team's success this year.

It's not like he hasn't had games where he's hit 3-4 3s and gotten hot. Don't get me wrong, if he's worked on his shot all off season and has become more consistent I'm all for it.

RE: Men's Basketball Spain Trip - ODU Oldtimer - 08-18-2016 06:45 PM

(08-18-2016 06:01 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  
(08-18-2016 05:23 PM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  In the video, they looked good. Surprised the guys fell so far behind in the early stages of the game. However it was a nice team effort.....

Kah didn't make the trip. Visa issues or something...... It was in the pilot a couple days ago

Thanks for the info, I missed it.

Was looking for information on the UVA Spain trip, this is all I found. I don't believe they played the Madrid All StarTeam, but not positive.

Link... http://wina.com/news/064460-uva-hoops-finish-5-0-in-spain/

Did find this about the Missouri Basketball team's trip to Italy/Spain not positive they played the Madrid All Stars. The story popped up in my search. It may be because of this quote......

Fran Fraschilla Verified account 
‏@franfraschilla

"Don't get excited about results from your team's foreign tour. "Madrid All Stars" could be 5 guys off street. It's for chemistry/ practices." Ouch.....

LInk... http://www.rockmnation.com/2016/8/15/12468854/missouri-basketball-italy-kim-anderson-phillips-vanlear-hughes

RE: Men's Basketball Spain Trip - ODU BBALL - 08-18-2016 09:06 PM

(08-18-2016 06:13 PM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  
(08-18-2016 06:03 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  

It's not like he hasn't had games where he's hit 3-4 3s and gotten hot. Don't get me wrong, if he's worked on his shot all off season and has become more consistent I'm all for it.

Glad you agree.

RE: Men's Basketball Spain Trip - T-Mac - 08-18-2016 09:42 PM

Glad to see Fields getting a lot of play.

RE: Men's Basketball Spain Trip - bigblueodu - 08-18-2016 10:27 PM

UVA didn't play Madrid All Stars

RE: Men's Basketball Spain Trip - Petey Hodge - 08-18-2016 11:57 PM

Who are the Madrid All Stars anyways? The Mexican version of Athletes in Action? :)

The highlight reel made them look like Mary Washington College players. Are they Pro League at least?

RE: Men's Basketball Spain Trip - mac - 08-19-2016 07:54 AM

As far as falling behind early, no real surprise with the time change jet lag issues. Glad they got their legs under them in the second half. Sorry Kah couldn't make the trip but all those practices he did get. Really looking forward to the season. Just from that short video, it seems we are looking to take the ball to the hoop and to run. I like that.

RE: Men's Basketball Spain Trip - Old Dom Swag - 08-19-2016 10:27 AM

FWIW Illinois State played the Madrid All-Stars last year and lost by 1 as well. They were an average team in the MWC last year but did beat Wichita State. The result doesn't mean anything as long as everyone comes out healthy and Jones gets to work out some lineups. Excited to see the Stith's play together.

RE: Men's Basketball Spain Trip - ODU Oldtimer - 08-19-2016 11:27 AM

We will get the opportunity to see if the team is ready for a rematch against the Madrid All Stars Saturday. I honestly feel this game will be a strong indicator of how they prepare and react to a learning situation. I'm sure we will see improvement in the execution and the intensity of the teams play. Coach Jones has shown in the past the ability to make adjustments and will use this as an opportunity to motivate the team for this game and the other games on this trip.

All in all I thing the trip will be a positive for the team and hope it will encourage them to strive to work hard and give their all in every game. I believe trips like this do in fact bring the team closer together for the bonding and chemistry of the team. Ultimately it should enable the team to gel faster as a cohesive group, Coaches and players.

RE: Men's Basketball Spain Trip - jumpshooter - 08-19-2016 12:03 PM

Unless I missed it, and someone please link me if I did, I don't see a full boxscore anywhere. With all of the new players, I'd like to see who got what minutes, who started, etc. If you didn't post one, ODU, dammit please do so and from here on out.

RE: Men's Basketball Spain Trip - ODU_NYG - 08-19-2016 12:12 PM

(08-19-2016 12:03 PM)jumpshooter Wrote:  Unless I missed it, and someone please link me if I did, I don't see a full boxscore anywhere. With all of the new players, I'd like to see who got what minutes, who started, etc. If you didn't post one, ODU, dammit please do so and from here on out.

There wasn't one. They just mentioned certain players and their stats, plus the short video.