CSNbbs
UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive (/thread-786887.html)

Pages: 1 2

UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - usmbacker - 08-10-2016 01:50 PM

[Image: Words_That_Hurt.jpg]

Oh boy… wait, did I just offend someone?

Quote:The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual Resource Center at the University of California Davis warns that some “words hurt” — including the expression “you guys.”

That common phrase is among a list of “Words that Hurt” detailed on the public university’s website. The expression “hurts” because it “erases the identities of people who are in the room” and “generalizing a group of people to be masculine,” the website states.

“Sometimes we say words without realizing the impact they may have on others,” it adds. “Take time to educate yourself about language and histories of oppression.”

Under the “pronoun” webpage, the resource center advises saying “Hey y’all” in a group setting instead of “Hey guys!” or “Hey ladies!” It’s cited as a way to “make language more inclusive.”

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/28444/

RE: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - HeartOfDixie - 08-10-2016 01:59 PM

Most universities have these groups within them that promote this kind of garbage.

They have "LGBT" Offices of various kinds and they often times disguise them as "Diversity X" offices and stuff.

They are all disgusting and complete wastes of money.

It will only stop when people quit donating to schools who have them.

I quit donating to UA because they have a whole setup. I have received a whole bunch of calls from them since begging me to reconsider and trying to downplay the role these programs have.

My answer is always the same, "why do you need my 10k if you can pay some idiot 80k per year to run a made up organization that treats one group of people better than others?" Silence...

RE: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - solohawks - 08-10-2016 02:11 PM

I got repremanded once because I used the term gals in an email. I was told I was emailing ladies, not gals

RE: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - TheEagleWay - 08-10-2016 02:13 PM

The real victim in this....

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - Chappy - 08-10-2016 02:24 PM

That's gay, retarded and lame.

RE: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - Lord Stanley - 08-10-2016 02:25 PM

I recently said "yea, that's pretty gay" around a lesbian.

She laughed. The thing I was talking about was pretty gay.

RE: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - Kaplony - 08-10-2016 02:27 PM

This will send them into conniptions

RE: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - VA49er - 08-10-2016 02:29 PM

(08-10-2016 02:11 PM)solohawks Wrote:  I got repremanded once because I used the term gals in an email. I was told I was emailing ladies, not gals

I'd figure they consider "ladies" offensive as well. There always has to be something for them to complain about.

RE: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine - 08-10-2016 02:31 PM

You Guys.

RE: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - UTSAMarineVet09 - 08-10-2016 02:54 PM

They are right... we should all say yall 05-stirthepot

RE: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - olliebaba - 08-10-2016 03:12 PM

I say y'all, but I'm a Texan. Y'all understand that?

RE: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - Redbanksdog - 08-10-2016 03:16 PM

They say that a lot in Washington state. ( you guys )

RE: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - Dragonlair2.0 - 08-10-2016 03:47 PM

so is Youse Guys off the table too?

RE: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - Lord Stanley - 08-10-2016 03:58 PM

What about Yutes?

[Image: 607761.jpg]

RE: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - Hood-rich - 08-10-2016 04:01 PM

RE: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - bullet - 08-10-2016 04:18 PM

(08-10-2016 02:54 PM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  They are right... we should all say yall 05-stirthepot
Absolutely. "You guys" is pretty annoying.

RE: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - bullet - 08-10-2016 04:18 PM

(08-10-2016 03:16 PM)Redbanksdog Wrote:  They say that a lot in Washington state. ( you guys )

Its a Yankee thing. North of the Mason Dixon line its "you guys."

UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - Chappy - 08-10-2016 05:28 PM

Someone put an "ask me about my pronouns" poster up at work and it was torn down within a week.

RE: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - Hood-rich - 08-10-2016 05:38 PM

(08-10-2016 05:28 PM)Chappy Wrote:  Someone put an "ask me about my pronouns" poster up at work and it was torn down within a week.
What?

Sent from my VS980 4G using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: UC Davis Warns Students Against Saying “You Guys” Because It’s Offensive - Smaug - 08-10-2016 05:47 PM

Just go with "y'all".

For once we southerners are ahead of the curve.