CSNbbs
Grizz 3rd best in West? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------- Forum: the Grindhouse (/forum-722.html)
+------- Thread: Grizz 3rd best in West? (/thread-783555.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Grizz 3rd best in West? - NigelTufnel - 07-05-2016 12:32 PM

With Durant joining GSW, you have to consider them the overwhelming favorites. Then the Spurs are still a dominate team with Aldridge and Leonard, although I'm not sold on their guard situation.

OKC is obviously going to take a step back. The Clippers are still a force, but Blake Griffin is not a guy who can carry you to a championship.

If the injury bug stays away, I think the Grizz are probably the 3rd best team in the West, and if Parsons can bring that desperately needed additional scoring option, they have an outside shot at competing with the Spurs for the 2nd spot.

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - Latilleon - 07-05-2016 12:39 PM

(07-05-2016 12:32 PM)NigelTufnel Wrote:  With Durant joining GSW, you have to consider them the overwhelming favorites. Then the Spurs are still a dominate team with Aldridge and Leonard, although I'm not sold on their guard situation.

OKC is obviously going to take a step back. The Clippers are still a force, but Blake Griffin is not a guy who can carry you to a championship.

If the injury bug stays away, I think the Grizz are probably the 3rd best team in the West, and if Parsons can bring that desperately needed additional scoring option, they have an outside shot at competing with the Spurs for the 2nd spot.

For that to happen, Conley, Gasol, and Parsons all need career best years, and the team needs to have hit on both Baldwin and Davis. Not to mention ZBo and Allen need plenty in the tank and the team needs offense from the 2.

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - TigerNK - 07-05-2016 12:45 PM

We just need to get better as the season progresses, get our young guys plenty of reps, get into the playoffs as close to 100% as possible and let the chips fall where they may. That is going to be what gets us a legitimate title shot. We just need to keep plugging holes each season and hope for a Mavericks style run with some injuries to key players in the West.

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - tcountytigerfan - 07-05-2016 01:07 PM

(07-05-2016 12:45 PM)TigerNK Wrote:  We just need to get better as the season progresses, get our young guys plenty of reps, get into the playoffs as close to 100% as possible and let the chips fall where they may. That is going to be what gets us a legitimate title shot. We just need to keep plugging holes each season and hope for a Mavericks style run with some injuries to key players in the West.

I pretty much agree here - we have to figure out a good way of limiting minutes to the starting 5. If we can have that starting 5 at full health come playoff time, we'll have a chance at a memorable run. I really like how well the team has positioned itself.

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - cwise - 07-05-2016 04:55 PM

They are in the mix from 3-5. There are a lot of variables in the mix that we just don't know about. However, I think they and the Clippers have the 3rd highest ceiling out west.

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - HometownTiger - 07-06-2016 09:48 AM

(07-05-2016 04:55 PM)cwise Wrote:  They are in the mix from 3-5. There are a lot of variables in the mix that we just don't know about. However, I think they and the Clippers have the 3rd highest ceiling out west.

Agreed

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - mairving - 07-06-2016 10:52 AM

According to the odds makers we are tied for 8th in the west of winning the NBA championship and 14th overall. This was done after Durant signed.

Golden State Warriors 2-3
San Antonio Spurs 6-1
Los Angeles Clippers 20-1
Minnesota Timberwolves 60-1
New Orleans Pelicans 60-1
Utah Jazz 80-1
Portland Trail Blazers 80-1
Houston Rockets 100-1
Memphis Grizzlies 100-1

I could maybe see Minnesota making a move but New Orleans...no.

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - HometownTiger - 07-06-2016 10:54 AM

My way too early predictions ...

WEST:

1. Warriors
2. Spurs
3. Clippers
4. Thunder
5. Blazers
6. Grizzlies
7. Mavericks
8. Jazz
-------------------
9. T-Wolves
10. Rockets
11. Suns
12. Lakers
13. Kings
14. Pelicans
15. Nuggets

EAST:

1. Cavs
2. Raptors
3. Celtics
4. Hawks
5. Pacers
6. Knicks
7. Pistons
8. Wizards
----------------------
9. Bucks
10. Hornets
11. Heat
12. Bulls
13. Magic
14. 76ers
15. Nets

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - mairving - 07-06-2016 10:57 AM

(07-06-2016 10:54 AM)HometownTiger Wrote:  My way too early predictions ...

WEST:

1. Warriors
2. Spurs
3. Clippers
4. Thunder
5. Blazers
6. Grizzlies
7. Mavericks
8. Jazz
-------------------
9. T-Wolves
10. Rockets
11. Suns
12. Lakers
13. Kings
14. Pelicans
15. Nuggets

EAST:

1. Cavs
2. Raptors
3. Celtics
4. Hawks
5. Pacers
6. Knicks
7. Pistons
8. Bucks
----------------------
9. Wizards
10. Bulls
11. Bucks
12. Heat
13. Magic
14. 76ers
15. Nets

Probably depends on injuries and how well Gasol plays when he comes back. I wouldn't be too surprised to see us trade too.

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - TiminMem23 - 07-06-2016 11:12 AM

The Grizzlies and Clippers have had good battles in the past, but I'd still take the Clippers over the Grizz. They have superstars, and it's a superstar league.

You also have to keep any eye out for the T Wolves. I think they are a team on the rise, and it's just a matter of time before they have a breakthrough season led by Wiggins and Towns.

If you look at the Grizz, Zbo and Tony Allen are on the decline. Although they held on to Gasol and Conley and added Parsons, I still consider that a step back from where they were 2-3 years ago with a younger Zbo and Allen. They'll continue to be competitive, but not a real threat to beat GSW or the Spurs. The Clippers could be if it ever comes together. Big IF.

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - tcountytigerfan - 07-06-2016 11:18 AM

(07-06-2016 11:12 AM)TiminMem23 Wrote:  The Grizzlies and Clippers have had good battles in the past, but I'd still take the Clippers over the Grizz. They have superstars, and it's a superstar league.

You also have to keep any eye out for the T Wolves. I think they are a team on the rise, and it's just a matter of time before they have a breakthrough season led by Wiggins and Towns.

If you look at the Grizz, Zbo and Tony Allen are on the decline. Although they held on to Gasol and Conley and added Parsons, I still consider that a step back from where they were 2-3 years ago with a younger Zbo and Allen. They'll continue to be competitive, but not a real threat to beat GSW or the Spurs. The Clippers could be if it ever comes together. Big IF.

There are certainly a lot of question marks around the team due to age and injuries. Obviously a big key is to make it to the playoffs at full health/rested - I think if we can do that, then we'll have a real chance at something special. Those are big ifs though!

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - k2tigers - 07-06-2016 12:50 PM

(07-06-2016 10:52 AM)mairving Wrote:  According to the odds makers we are tied for 8th in the west of winning the NBA championship and 14th overall. This was done after Durant signed.

San Antonio Spurs 6-1
Utah Jazz 80-1
Houston Rockets 100-1
Memphis Grizzlies 100-1

puzzling to say the least, but what else is new

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - TiminMem23 - 07-06-2016 01:27 PM

(07-06-2016 12:50 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 10:52 AM)mairving Wrote:  According to the odds makers we are tied for 8th in the west of winning the NBA championship and 14th overall. This was done after Durant signed.

San Antonio Spurs 6-1
Utah Jazz 80-1
Houston Rockets 100-1
Memphis Grizzlies 100-1

puzzling to say the least, but what else is new

I really don't find it that puzzling, and this is why the NBA stinks. There are basically 3-4 teams with a real chance of winning the championship.

However, most Grizz fans seem to be happy with being in the playoffs and then having an unrealistic belief that "anything could happen".

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - memphississy - 07-06-2016 01:31 PM

I don't get the Clippers love. If you're gonna bury the Grizz because of trending late season injuries, you have to do the same with the Clips. CP3 and Blake stay hurt in the playoffs.

Both teams at 100%, I'm taking the Grizz because of depth and toughness. Two things the Clippers don't have.

Also don't like OKC without Durant. I would be shocked if they finished any better than five. Probably miss the playoffs all together if they can deal Russ by the deadline (which I fully expect them to do).

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - NigelTufnel - 07-06-2016 03:35 PM

(07-06-2016 01:31 PM)memphississy Wrote:  I don't get the Clippers love. If you're gonna bury the Grizz because of trending late season injuries, you have to do the same with the Clips. CP3 and Blake stay hurt in the playoffs.

Both teams at 100%, I'm taking the Grizz because of depth and toughness. Two things the Clippers don't have.

Also don't like OKC without Durant. I would be shocked if they finished any better than five. Probably miss the playoffs all together if they can deal Russ by the deadline (which I fully expect them to do).

And Blake Griffin absolutely can't hit a shot outside of 12 feet. Keep that dude out of the paint, and he's not an effective offensive player at all.

I do think OKC is in the mix still, they have really good young bigs and Oladipo won't replace Durant (obviously) but he really came on strong with Orlando last year.

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - mairving - 07-06-2016 04:16 PM

(07-06-2016 03:35 PM)NigelTufnel Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 01:31 PM)memphississy Wrote:  I don't get the Clippers love. If you're gonna bury the Grizz because of trending late season injuries, you have to do the same with the Clips. CP3 and Blake stay hurt in the playoffs.

And Blake Griffin absolutely can't hit a shot outside of 12 feet. Keep that dude out of the paint, and he's not an effective offensive player at all.

I do think OKC is in the mix still, they have really good young bigs and Oladipo won't replace Durant (obviously) but he really came on strong with Orlando last year.

He's a much better outside shooter than he used to be.

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - macgar32 - 07-06-2016 05:39 PM

(07-06-2016 04:16 PM)mairving Wrote:  

Agreed Griffin has become a complete offensive player.

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - NigelTufnel - 07-06-2016 08:46 PM

(07-06-2016 04:16 PM)mairving Wrote:  

Not saying much.

He shot about 36% outside of 10 feet last year.

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - Brother Bluto - 07-07-2016 08:57 AM

If the Grizz aren't a top 4 seed then the summer will have been a bust

RE: Grizz 3rd best in West? - HometownTiger - 07-07-2016 11:19 AM

Since the Grizz began this string of playoff appearances, we've had an average record of 48-31. Our average playoff seed has been a 6-seed.

We currently have a 1st time head coach, a brand new staff, and an aging roster, and no bench (unless we get Monta Ellis)

I do like the addition of Parsons for a number of reasons - shooting and lineup flexibility. I think that'll help a ton. If we can stay healthy, and that's a HUGE if...I think we can be a 4-6 seed...but it wouldn't surprise me if age and injury catch up to us and we miss the playoffs all together.