CSNbbs
NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? (/thread-782679.html)

Pages: 1 2

NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - PlayBall! - 06-22-2016 04:14 PM

Just announced -- LV to get an expansion NHL team next year.

My crystal ball (admittedly cloudy) says UNLV will quickly get on the expansion radar. PAC makes the most sense to me, but maybe the Big XII will take a closer look now that the pros have changed their minds on LV.

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - TardisCaptain - 06-22-2016 04:21 PM

I don't know how much pro sports helps or hinders local college sports. I know that Utah didn't get into the Pac12 due to the Utah Jazz and Real Salt Lake being in town.

(06-22-2016 04:14 PM)PlayBall! Wrote:  Just announced -- LV to get an expansion NHL team next year.

My crystal ball (admittedly cloudy) says UNLV will quickly get on the expansion radar. PAC makes the most sense to me, but maybe the Big XII will take a closer look now that the pros have changed their minds on LV.

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - Stay Cool - 06-22-2016 05:04 PM

Yeah if anything i see their value diminish. More options for entertainment in an already tough to grab your attention market. A team like the raiders or something would do well there though, like an already established franchise with a diehard fan base

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - adcorbett - 06-22-2016 05:24 PM

(06-22-2016 04:14 PM)PlayBall! Wrote:  Just announced -- LV to get an expansion NHL team next year.

What does one have to do with the other? The arena is already built and in use.

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - Cyniclone - 06-22-2016 05:24 PM

UNLV is an established D-1 school that had one of the most dominant men's college basketball teams ever and is in a fast-growing city that everyone can identify, even if it's for loose slots, 50-cent shrimp cocktails and magician-eating tigers. Having an expansion NHL team won't affect how major conferences view UNLV.

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - Wedge - 06-22-2016 06:00 PM

(06-22-2016 05:24 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  UNLV is an established D-1 school that had one of the most dominant men's college basketball teams ever

... 25 years ago. Not now. And their football program isn't even one of the six or seven best in the MWC. Those are much more important issues for UNLV athletics than any hockey team.

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - Cyniclone - 06-22-2016 06:05 PM

(06-22-2016 06:00 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(06-22-2016 05:24 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  UNLV is an established D-1 school that had one of the most dominant men's college basketball teams ever

... 25 years ago. Not now. And their football program isn't even one of the six or seven best in the MWC. Those are much more important issues for UNLV athletics than any hockey team.

Agreed on football, but the basketball has remained respectable and is one of those programs that could get right back into the spotlight with the right coach (if, that is, they could pay for said right coach).

My response was more to the idea that the perception of UNLV has changed because of an expansion NHL team. Pretty much everyone knows what UNLV is at this point, as well as the city they're in. The Ice Chips or Sands Storms or Strip Teases or whatever they end up getting called won't do anything to change that.

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - MplsBison - 06-22-2016 06:29 PM

The NHL arena and team doesn't matter.

What would matter is a new NFL stadium and NFL team coming to town, in my opinion.

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - Sellular1 - 06-22-2016 07:09 PM

USF should be a slam dunk for the B12 by your logic.

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - billybobby777 - 06-22-2016 07:41 PM

My condolences to UNLV.

Cheers!

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - Kittonhead - 06-22-2016 07:41 PM

UNLV needs to work on its academics before the P5 will sniff.

07-coffee3

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - Attackcoog - 06-22-2016 07:43 PM

Doesn't pro sports competition generally hamper school attendance/interest within that market area?

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - billybobby777 - 06-22-2016 10:42 PM

(06-22-2016 07:43 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Doesn't pro sports competition generally hamper school attendance/interest within that market area?

"Generally hamper"--? Haha. Pro sports destroy interest and attendance within the market area for college programs as we know. Lucky for UNLV it's just the NHL. Having been to a Pheonix Coyote NHL game, and considering it to be the most awkward sporting event I've ever attended, I will predict this will flop. And since it is Vegas, would anyone care to wager with me on how long it will be before the team leaves? I'll bet it won't last 10 years. Talk about shoving a thing down someone's throat. My buddies in Vegas think it's a ploy for the anti-NFL crowd in town. "See, the NFL won't work here and we have proof because the NHL team failed"....

Cheers!

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - ken d - 06-23-2016 08:19 AM

I'm sure there are some G5 schools that are lower on the list of expansion prospects than UNLV, but not all that many. UNLV will not get promoted to a P5 in my lifetime, no matter what professional leagues do or don't do.

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - MplsBison - 06-23-2016 09:42 AM

Again, I think it would be the building of a really nice NFL stadium that UNLV would play in, which would possibly help it more than anything. Same goes for SDSU playing in the new downtown San Diego stadium.

UNLV and SDSU could pair up and sell themselves to a "national best-of-G5" conference, if such a thing ever came to be.

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - orangefan - 06-23-2016 10:18 AM

A Raiders move to LV would be more important. UNLV hoops has had first class facilities for years. However, a new high end football stadium would be a huge move up. UNLV would need to follow that up by raising their level of play (with recruiting help from new facilities) and by increasing their attendance to the 50k+/- level.

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - adcorbett - 06-23-2016 11:01 AM

(06-22-2016 07:43 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Doesn't pro sports competition generally hamper school attendance/interest within that market area?

It can work both ways. On the one hand, it is certainly competition. On the other hand, it can expand your potential base. There are certainly a lot of other factors involved (such as size of the city), but for example pro sports franchises with more than one team in a market are more successful than teams solo in their market. Now there is the obvious that larger cities always have more than one, but as someone who used to sell suites and corporate seats, it is much easier to sell them to a company that already has sports investments, then it is to convince a company that has never done so on the benefits of buying them.

So from that perspective, I think it can help. Memphis' corporate support seems to have grown since the Grizzlies came to town. NC State seems to have better corporate support since the Hurricanes moved there. USF was doing far better when the Bucs were good than they are now that the Bucs are an afterthought. UCLA seems to do better when the Lakers are doing better. The rise of Cincinnati seemed to coincide with the Bengals and later Reds becoming relevant teams after being dormant for so long.

Obviously there are examples the opposite way as well, of pro franchises hurting collegiate teams, but I think in general it can be an asset as much as a hindrance. Especially if marketed properly.

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - arkstfan - 06-23-2016 11:58 AM

(06-22-2016 07:41 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  UNLV needs to work on its academics before the P5 will sniff.

07-coffee3

I agree. If the academic reputation were there they would be huge on the P12 radar. Unless you go to Texas picking are slim. Colorado State, BYU and New Mexico are about the only ones that have the academics to get consideration and UNM would be pushing it. BYU just isn't going to get the call for social reasons and Colorado State doesn't help advance P12Net.

If UNLV could get up to 150 or so in US News they'd be in a much better spot.

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - MplsBison - 06-23-2016 12:00 PM

BYU with academics to get consideration???? You must be going off one of those reputation polls.

Colo St, on the other hand, is analogous to Wash St and Oregon St.

RE: NHL to LV -- UNLV's stock rising? - Captain Bearcat - 06-23-2016 03:33 PM

(06-23-2016 11:01 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(06-22-2016 07:43 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Doesn't pro sports competition generally hamper school attendance/interest within that market area?

It can work both ways. On the one hand, it is certainly competition. On the other hand, it can expand your potential base. There are certainly a lot of other factors involved (such as size of the city), but for example pro sports franchises with more than one team in a market are more successful than teams solo in their market. Now there is the obvious that larger cities always have more than one, but as someone who used to sell suites and corporate seats, it is much easier to sell them to a company that already has sports investments, then it is to convince a company that has never done so on the benefits of buying them.

So from that perspective, I think it can help. Memphis' corporate support seems to have grown since the Grizzlies came to town. NC State seems to have better corporate support since the Hurricanes moved there. USF was doing far better when the Bucs were good than they are now that the Bucs are an afterthought. UCLA seems to do better when the Lakers are doing better. The rise of Cincinnati seemed to coincide with the Bengals and later Reds becoming relevant teams after being dormant for so long.

Obviously there are examples the opposite way as well, of pro franchises hurting collegiate teams, but I think in general it can be an asset as much as a hindrance. Especially if marketed properly.

The rise of Cincinnati football was 100% about joining the Big East. That's the only change that mattered.

The Bengals/Reds were arguably at their combined peak from 1988-1991. At that time Bearcats football was so awful that there were serious discussions about dropping football. Fortunately, they chose to double down and added 7,000 seats and a new press box to Nippert.