CSNbbs
COA! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: COA! (/thread-782324.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

COA! - Madison 91 Forever - 06-17-2016 09:34 AM

Bam!

http://jmusports.com/news/2016/6/16/basketballCOA.aspx

RE: COA! - Deez Nuts - 06-17-2016 09:35 AM

In accordance with NCAA guidelines, James Madison University will offer cost of attendance as part of athletic scholarships for student-athletes participating in men's and women's basketball beginning in the 2017-2018 academic year.

RE: COA! - RootinFerDukes - 06-17-2016 09:36 AM

Great news!

RE: COA! - Madison 91 Forever - 06-17-2016 09:37 AM

I will not gripe and complain that this is only limited to basketball.

Right now.

RE: COA! - GaryMatthews - 06-17-2016 09:37 AM

How long before someone starts to pick apart the language used in the press release?

EDIT: ^^Ninja'd...?

RE: COA! - Rock House Duke - 06-17-2016 09:43 AM

Wow! This is great news! Truthfully, I am a bit shocked as I thought we would kick the can down the road on this issue.

Now it is time to rally behind our basketball programs and donate to the new convo!

RE: COA! - formerjmusprinter84 - 06-17-2016 09:44 AM

Just saw the e-mail. Terrific news!

RE: COA! - Jmubarkers - 06-17-2016 09:44 AM

(06-17-2016 09:37 AM)GaryMatthews Wrote:  How long before someone starts to pick apart the language used in the press release?

Lou Rowe, Brooks,O. Thank those guys for making this happen.

This should let you guys know how much Brady had against him, flat out said no to him multiple times to coa. Brady wasn't going to beg for it though, and lacked depth of politics to get if done.

Brooks leaving was a big eye opener for Admin, he stressed to them the importance of being committed to success and the part that coa and facilities played in it. Coach Rowe and O reenforced it.

RE: COA! - Deez Nuts - 06-17-2016 09:45 AM

Seems responsibly and methodically implemented. Considering it's been less than 18 months since COA first came about, this is a big move for JMU. Glad we have committed to compete for great athletes out there.

it does surprise me that it's not an all sports move.

RE: COA! - RootinFerDukes - 06-17-2016 09:45 AM

(06-17-2016 09:43 AM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  Wow! This is great news! Truthfully, I am a bit shocked as I thought we would kick the can down the road on this issue.

Now it is time to rally behind our basketball programs and donate to the new convo!

Definitely does make me want to up my donation in the next cycle with this. Good work by the Admin here.

RE: COA! - ShadyP - 06-17-2016 09:48 AM

GREAT NEWS and huge step in the right direction for JMU Athletics. No doubt Men's and Women's BBALL can now recruit more effectively for talent. Great Job to Bourne and coaches for making this happen and making Alger listen. Now get that new arena started......

Hopefully, JMU can expand to other sports in the future.

This is the kind of news that gets me excited and makes me want to increase my donation level.

RE: COA! - #YEEHAWDUKES - 06-17-2016 09:48 AM

but when are we going fbs???

RE: COA! - Madison 91 Forever - 06-17-2016 09:49 AM

(06-17-2016 09:45 AM)RootinFerDukes Wrote:  
(06-17-2016 09:43 AM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  Wow! This is great news! Truthfully, I am a bit shocked as I thought we would kick the can down the road on this issue.

Definitely does make me want to up my donation in the next cycle with this. Good work by the Admin here.

Yep. Read JB's press release:

While I plan to discuss the Cox Bill and the overall athletic department budget in my next Bourne Dialogue, I want to impress upon you that we are confronting some significant challenges with regard to our finances because of new state legislation. Briefly, the recently passed Cox Bill sets restrictions on the percentages of athletic budgets that can be subsidized by student fees. It's important to note that no student fees will be used to pay the projected annual cost of $125,000 required to cover COA for the basketball programs. I've asked Senior Associate Athletic Director David Biancamano and the Duke Club Staff to take on the task of raising additional scholarship dollars required. That means your support now and in the near-to-mid term has never been more integral to our competitiveness and to our success. In fact, for a majority of our plans moving forward, we will need to find opportunities to add new revenues and resources. The Cox Bill fundamentally changes our financial reality, and I will dive into this topic more deeply in my next Dialogue. Meanwhile, you can read more about how the strategic theme of Sustainable Athletic Generated Revenue within the Engaged in Excellence plan guides our thinking on this topic.

RE: COA! - Deez Nuts - 06-17-2016 09:56 AM

(06-17-2016 09:48 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  GREAT NEWS and huge step in the right direction for JMU Athletics. No doubt Men's and Women's BBALL can now recruit more effectively for talent. Great Job to Bourne and coaches for making this happen and making Alger listen. Now get that new arena started......

Hopefully, JMU can expand to other sports in the future.

Taking a step back and looking at the total picture of JMU athletics, this is such a huge huge step to back our basketball programs. The new Convo is the only missing piece... and that could realistically happen this year. JMU Football expectations and high hopes for a promising season have me optimistic and excited for fall. Add in the speculation about the landscape of college athletics and conference expansion/realignment... there are a lot of reasons to be excited about JMU's athletic future.

COA! - JMU_71 - 06-17-2016 09:56 AM

Well, I guess he was off by a week. Bourne told me 3 weeks and it turned out to be 4. While I don't agree with COAs at all, they are the new reality and we must change to stay competitive. I'm glad they made the move! Go Dukes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: COA! - Bogey - 06-17-2016 09:57 AM

(06-17-2016 09:44 AM)Jmubarkers Wrote:  
(06-17-2016 09:37 AM)GaryMatthews Wrote:  How long before someone starts to pick apart the language used in the press release?

Lou Rowe, Brooks,O. Thank those guys for making this happen.

This should let you guys know how much Brady had against him, flat out said no to him multiple times to coa. Brady wasn't going to beg for it though, and lacked depth of politics to get if done.

Brooks leaving was a big eye opener for Admin, he stressed to them the importance of being committed to success and the part that coa and facilities played in it. Coach Rowe and O reenforced it.

While I am sure that Brady was told that JMU was not gong to do COA, not having it was not a huge penalty in prior years. It is after all a new recently constructed obstacle. Going forward the lack of COA would have been lethal. Apparently king and bourne convinced our fearless leader of this fact. In order to get cowboy jon to back of off his earlier position I am guessing that there must have been some serious buy in from the BOV.

RE: COA! - JMU08 - 06-17-2016 09:58 AM

So does this work out to around 5.2k per scholarship?

RE: COA! - JMUrcc06 - 06-17-2016 09:59 AM

(06-17-2016 09:48 AM)#YEEHAWDUKES Wrote:  but when are we going fbs???

+1

RE: COA! - olddawg - 06-17-2016 10:00 AM

Great news. Now let's kick some butt!

RE: COA! - JMU2004 - 06-17-2016 10:04 AM

Time to go stroke a check as I told my rep I would....well done JMU.