CSNbbs
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 (/thread-782180.html)

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - JJMonarch - 07-06-2018 05:35 AM

(07-05-2018 10:52 AM)north beach monarch Wrote:  I would easily trade 1 more year with Porter to gain 1 year with Robinson and 3 (maybe 4) years with Dickins. If headache Porter doesn’t leave we probably don’t gain either 2 bigs. No one really cares if an internet poster is skeptical or cautiously optimistic about these guys. Porter came to ODU from GMU averaging 3 pts and 2 rbg in almost 15 minutes / game as a freshman year 1. Doesn’t that suck based on all the genius analysis here about Robinson and Dickens. Porter didn’t improve a whole lot year 2 at ODU then improved by second half of his 3rd year. The reason is JJ and staff spent the time to develop Porter and built offensive plays to highlight him. I predict about 10 and 6 and 20-22 minutes / game at Nevada. There is no way Nevada lets freshman 5s like Brown and KJ ride the bench behind Porter. Porter will lose minutes and he made a huge mistake, while ODU will benefit. How can anyone not see this trade as a big win for ODU and JJ. Smh. Looking at some of these comments it’s obvious. JJ and staff will develop Robinson and Dickins the same way they developed Porter. We are loaded. I could care less whose skeptical or cautious. Its a win. GO BLUE

Great point.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - odu09 - 07-06-2018 05:41 AM

(07-05-2018 08:01 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(07-04-2018 08:28 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  
(07-04-2018 03:51 PM)bluelight Wrote:  
(07-04-2018 02:27 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  You guys have a tread you can post all you want. Let's keep this tread about recruiting. If you want to add something about a recruit or the class, please do.

Some of you guys are dreaming. Both 7ft. players were recruited very late and both averaged 2pts. per game. Forget the High school 4star, we are in the d-1 basketball and both showed they are not 4 star players. Don't brag on JJ recruiting, applaud him if he has a good season next year. Unfortunately these players are work in progress.
I am still waiting for their schedule and what their record will be at the end of 2019.

Great recruiting job by JJ and staff. Congratulations! They brought in two 4 Star rated 7 footers. These guys will bring a lot to the table in terms of defending the rim, grabbing rebounds, and scoring. Dickens is a fantastic shot blocker and is very speedy and agile for a 7 footer!

Being 7 foot means nothing.

How much did Sam Harris or Anton bring in those departments?

Again stars are nice but if we don’t make the NCAA tourney in year 6 it’s meaningless.

While I agree being 7 foot means nothing on its own, I think anyone who has seen any highlight of these guys can confidently say these guys are a lot more athletic than Harris or Anton, and to put them in the same sentence right now is an insult. The only characteristics they share are 7 feet and that they play basketball. It's really not fair to compare them to each other.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - odu09 - 07-06-2018 05:45 AM

(07-05-2018 08:09 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(07-05-2018 10:52 AM)north beach monarch Wrote:  I would easily trade 1 more year with Porter to gain 1 year with Robinson and 3 (maybe 4) years with Dickins. If headache Porter doesn’t leave we probably don’t gain either 2 bigs. No one really cares if an internet poster is skeptical or cautiously optimistic about these guys. Porter came to ODU from GMU averaging 3 pts and 2 rbg in almost 15 minutes / game as a freshman year 1. Doesn’t that suck based on all the genius analysis here about Robinson and Dickens. Porter didn’t improve a whole lot year 2 at ODU then improved by second half of his 3rd year. The reason is JJ and staff spent the time to develop Porter and built offensive plays to highlight him. I predict about 10 and 6 and 20-22 minutes / game at Nevada. There is no way Nevada lets freshman 5s like Brown and KJ ride the bench behind Porter. Porter will lose minutes and he made a huge mistake, while ODU will benefit. How can anyone not see this trade as a big win for ODU and JJ. Smh. Looking at some of these comments it’s obvious. JJ and staff will develop Robinson and Dickins the same way they developed Porter. We are loaded. I could care less whose skeptical or cautious. Its a win. GO BLUE

Absolutely delusional, my god.

It may work out well, it may not, but you already calling it a win is absolute delusion.

Optimism does not equal delusion. This post was more well thought out than the last 10 you've put together. We get where you stand. You are right though - it may work out, it may not work out. Absolutely brilliant insight.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - EverRespect - 07-06-2018 07:26 AM

(07-06-2018 05:45 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(07-05-2018 08:09 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  

Absolutely delusional, my god.

It may work out well, it may not, but you already calling it a win is absolute delusion.

Optimism does not equal delusion. This post was more well thought out than the last 10 you've put together. We get where you stand. You are right though - it may work out, it may not work out. Absolutely brilliant insight.

The notion presented that Porter leaving is no big deal is delusional.

Whether or not we have successfully filled the major gaps left in the frontcourt with a crew of new players with almost no D1 game experience other than a guy whose career has been riddled with injuries, and are ready to make a run at the tournament this year, with BJ and Caver as seniors, is an absolute question mark even with optimism.

If he is simply implying that we are in better shape for several years down the road (after we develop these players) than we were before the summer, I'll buy that, but I think most of us are currently interested in this coming year and not interested in setting up the "JJ needs another year" narrative if we fail to make the tournament again.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - north beach monarch - 07-06-2018 08:05 AM

Porter gave us height and really improved last year but was only the 3rd best player on this team. We more than equally replaced the height for next year. The people that are blaming JJ for letting Porter get away now, 3 years ago were trashing him for bringing him in with his 3 ppg and 2 rbg. You can’t have it both ways. The only reason people want Porter next year is he’s a known commodity - along with being a huge liability. He was an embarrassment in the CUSA tourney. In addition to 9 technical, how many games did Porter sit the first half with 2 silly fouls because he was not ready to play or manhandled by inferior competition?
What about the year after next? Starting over, does anyone really think we would bring in a better, more highly rated big man than Dickens to develop next year? And he's had 1 year of big east development. No. We replaced Porter with 2 guys we wouldn’t have had a chance at if Porter doesn’t leave. Robinson might really surprise us. Dickens gives us a solid 5 for 3-4 years. If Dickens plays next year the combined Robinson – Dickens output should replace Porter. Rather than build here Porter chose to run away. I heard from the coaches starting as early in January that they tried to convince Porter to stay. He still chose to go and I feel it worked out better for us.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - monarx - 07-06-2018 08:19 AM

(07-06-2018 08:05 AM)north beach monarch Wrote:  Porter gave us height and really improved last year but was only the 3rd best player on this team. We more than equally replaced the height for next year. The people that are blaming JJ for letting Porter get away now, 3 years ago were trashing him for bringing him in with his 3 ppg and 2 rbg. You can’t have it both ways. The only reason people want Porter next year is he’s a known commodity - along with being a huge liability. He was an embarrassment in the CUSA tourney. In addition to 9 technical, how many games did Porter sit the first half with 2 silly fouls because he was not ready to play or manhandled by inferior competition?
What about the year after next? Starting over, does anyone really think we would bring in a better, more highly rated big man than Dickens to develop next year? And he's had 1 year of big east development. No. We replaced Porter with 2 guys we wouldn’t have had a chance at if Porter doesn’t leave. Robinson might really surprise us. Dickens gives us a solid 5 for 3-4 years. If Dickens plays next year the combined Robinson – Dickens output should replace Porter. Rather than build here Porter chose to run away. I heard from the coaches starting as early in January that they tried to convince Porter to stay. He still chose to go and I feel it worked out better for us.

I am absolutely thrilled we have Dickens coming in, but he may not even play this year. If he does, all indications are he will still need a bit of work to reach his full potential. But I think he will be a special player for the Monarchs in the long run. Im also glad we have the LSU guy (Robinson) coming in, but I would rather have kept Porter for his final season, because Robinson is an unknown other than being injury prone. This has the potential to be a great season with Ahmad and BJ leading the charge as long as there is a good inside presence to spread opposing defenses and clean the glass. If the LSU guy provides that, then awesome. If Dickens plays and provides that... great. If they both do, we should be very good. But thats a lot of question marks whereas Porter was a sure thing. For that reason, for this season, I would have preferred to keep Porter. That didnt happen, so I think JJ did a pretty good job filling the hole Trey left. We'll see how it works out.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ODUBB35 - 07-06-2018 08:24 AM

I just want to beat the **** out of Nevada in the NCAA's.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Old Dominion - 07-06-2018 09:28 AM

(07-06-2018 08:19 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(07-06-2018 08:05 AM)north beach monarch Wrote:  Porter gave us height and really improved last year but was only the 3rd best player on this team. We more than equally replaced the height for next year. The people that are blaming JJ for letting Porter get away now, 3 years ago were trashing him for bringing him in with his 3 ppg and 2 rbg. You can’t have it both ways. The only reason people want Porter next year is he’s a known commodity - along with being a huge liability. He was an embarrassment in the CUSA tourney. In addition to 9 technical, how many games did Porter sit the first half with 2 silly fouls because he was not ready to play or manhandled by inferior competition?

I am absolutely thrilled we have Dickens coming in, but he may not even play this year. If he does, all indications are he will still need a bit of work to reach his full potential. But I think he will be a special player for the Monarchs in the long run. Im also glad we have the LSU guy (Robinson) coming in, but I would rather have kept Porter for his final season, because Robinson is an unknown other than being injury prone. This has the potential to be a great season with Ahmad and BJ leading the charge as long as there is a good inside presence to spread opposing defenses and clean the glass. If the LSU guy provides that, then awesome. If Dickens plays and provides that... great. If they both do, we should be very good. But thats a lot of question marks whereas Porter was a sure thing. For that reason, for this season, I would have preferred to keep Porter. That didnt happen, so I think JJ did a pretty good job filling the hole Trey left. We'll see how it works out.

pretty reasonable assessment in my opinion

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - north beach monarch - 07-06-2018 10:00 AM

Yes Porter would have given us 14-8 and a lot of headache next year. We know what he can do and we haven’t seen it yet from Robinson or dickens. Agreed. But what everyone is missing, is this situation was created by Porter, it all his fault not the coaches - he’s gone. People keep talking about what if Porter was here! I know JJ, Richardson and Stith talked to him for over 3 months about leaving. He’s gone and we moved on into what ‘should’ be a better place. Porter hit his ceiling already; Dickens has a huge upside, much higher than Porter. That’s the coach’s job. This team is NCAA worthy next year. NBMonarch - formerly monarch

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Monarchblue - 07-06-2018 10:12 AM

(07-06-2018 10:00 AM)north beach monarch Wrote:  

Yes Porter would have given us 14-8 and a lot of headache next year. We know what he can do and we haven’t seen it yet from Robinson or dickens. Agreed. But what everyone is missing, is this situation was created by Porter, it all his fault not the coaches - he’s gone. People keep talking about what if Porter was here! I know JJ, Richardson and Stith talked to him for over 3 months about leaving. He’s gone and we moved on into what ‘should’ be a better place. Porter hit his ceiling already; Dickens has a huge upside, much higher than Porter. That’s the coach’s job. This team is NCAA worthy next year. NBMonarch - formerly monarch

All your points are valid, but I think where some of us get hung up, is it is always next year. We needed to fill gaps for this year. We had a team that was borderline NCAAT caliber before losing Porter, and we don't seem to be at that level now. Regardless of whose fault it is, the head coach is driving the bus, and he is responsible for assembling teams that make the NCAAT more than once a decade.
There is no telling what will happen between now and the time that Dickens is ready to be a difference maker (and I think he will be by the time he is a junior). I just don't want to be looking at another 22 win season with no meaningful post season again, with a bunch of people, and more importantly the admin, saying, "but we have to keep JJ. He just needs one more year." There have been enough one more years. Tournament or bust.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ODU BBALL - 07-06-2018 10:29 AM

As happy as I am that Jeff got both of these 7 footers to come to ODU, I still have some very big concerns regarding the center position for this upcoming season.

1). If Dickens has to sit out this season that bodes well for ODU in future years as he would have more time with the program. But, it puts ODU back into the position it was before they obtained him - i.e. just one legitimate center on the team. Best hope is that he is eligible to play this season and performs decently enough to warrant his minutes.

2) Robinson has been injury prone in the past. If he gets injured and has to miss games this season, or any game that he gets into early foul trouble, ODU will be relying on Dickens to sub in for him. If Dickens is not available then ODU is back to where they were just a few months ago ... no Brandan, no Porter, no Vassor, no centers.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 07-06-2018 11:08 AM

Its not like CUSA teams have a ton of "centers" to deal with. Last year WKY only had Coleby. MTSU only had Walters. The rest were 6-7 to 6-9 guys between 210 and 230.

WHich is the size of Carver (listed) and Ezikpe. Reece is taller, but skinny. How many CUSA teams have an actual legitimate backup center?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - cmett003 - 07-06-2018 11:27 AM

When can we expect to find out about dickens red shirt waiver?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ODU BBALL - 07-06-2018 11:30 AM

(07-06-2018 11:08 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Its not like CUSA teams have a ton of "centers" to deal with. Last year WKY only had Coleby. MTSU only had Walters. The rest were 6-7 to 6-9 guys between 210 and 230.

WHich is the size of Carver (listed) and Ezikpe. Reece is taller, but skinny. How many CUSA teams have an actual legitimate backup center?

My aspirations for ODU aren't limited to merely being competitive in CUSA, losing out in the tournament, then going home till next season. In order to do better than that and not have all your hopes tied up in winning the conference tournament, ODU will have to do well against teams not in CUSA to build a resume. It isn't all about who is in CUSA and hoping ODU has enough size to match up in Jeff's man-to-man.

Most of the guys you listed are going to be true freshmen next season and on top of that, forward is their natural position. Besides that even Carver is only 6'-7" and a natural forward at that.

Sorry you don't see the importance of the two new centers Jeff just brought in. Apparently Jeff as well as several posters on this board see it.

Let me ask you a straight up question. Hypothetically, assume Dickens sits out this season and Robinson is lost for the year after the 2nd game of the season to injury. Without beating around the bush and doing some double talk .....

* Give us your prediction on what ODU's conference record would end up being, and where ODU would finish in CUSA - i.e. 1st, 2nd, etc.

* Tell us what post season tournament you think ODU would end up playing in.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - north beach monarch - 07-06-2018 11:43 AM

(07-06-2018 11:30 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(07-06-2018 11:08 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Its not like CUSA teams have a ton of "centers" to deal with. Last year WKY only had Coleby. MTSU only had Walters. The rest were 6-7 to 6-9 guys between 210 and 230.

My aspirations for ODU aren't limited to merely being competitive in CUSA, losing out in the tournament, then going home till next season. In order to do better than that and not have all your hopes tied up in winning the conference tournament, ODU will have to do well against teams not in CUSA to build a resume. It isn't all about who is in CUSA and hoping ODU has enough size to match up in Jeff's man-to-man.

Most of the guys you listed are going to be true freshmen next season and on top of that, forward is their natural position. Besides that even Carver is only 6'-7" and a natural forward at that.

Sorry you don't see the importance of the two new centers Jeff just brought in. Apparently Jeff as well as several posters on this board see it.

Let me ask you a straight up question. Hypothetically, assume Dickens sits out this season and Robinson is lost for the year after the 2nd game of the season to injury. Without beating around the bush and doing some double talk .....

* Give us your prediction on what ODU's conference record would end up being, and where ODU would finish in CUSA - i.e. 1st, 2nd, etc.

* Tell us what post season tournament you think ODU would end up playing in.

Without Robinson and Dickens top 3, hopefully an NIT. With Robinson conference final, possibility of NCAA. With R and D NCAA.
Wade is going to be really good.
Godwin major upswing look for multiple 20+ games. I see next year like year 2 with JJ but without the late season stumbles with very good senior leadership

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 07-06-2018 11:45 AM

Applies for almost all teams at our level. Yes, if we want to compete consistently with Kentucky, we may need more size.

Carver is primarily a forward, as well most big guys in our conference as I mentioned. Which teams have multiple legitimate 6-10 and above players?

You are completely missing the point. Which teams can survive their starting "center" missing the entire season? Your argument would apply to 99% of the teams in the nation.

Without Robinson, we would be somewhere between .500 and a handful of games above. Now, what if we lose Caver (season done) or Stith (season done).

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - JJMonarch - 07-06-2018 12:04 PM

(07-06-2018 11:45 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Applies for almost all teams at our level. Yes, if we want to compete consistently with Kentucky, we may need more size.

Carver is primarily a forward, as well most big guys in our conference as I mentioned. Which teams have multiple legitimate 6-10 and above players?

You are completely missing the point. Which teams can survive their starting "center" missing the entire season? Your argument would apply to 99% of the teams in the nation.

Without Robinson, we would be somewhere between .500 and a handful of games above. Now, what if we lose Caver (season done) or Stith (season done).

Absolutely true. Last year was the first full season we had Brandon without injuries. The first two we were pretty bad without him. I remember going to UR in first game back and we looked awful and he did too in limited action. He was able to pull it together and the team was as well and ended up strong down the stretch, and then Caver turned an ankle just before the CUSA tournament. Injuries are a part of the game but even more so for us mid majors.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ODU BBALL - 07-06-2018 12:09 PM

(07-06-2018 11:45 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Applies for almost all teams at our level. Yes, if we want to compete consistently with Kentucky, we may need more size.

My concerns are limited to ODU Giles. And, I wasn't referring to "Kentucky" or ODU winning the National Championship - as Kentucky is always a contender to do. I was talking about the ability of ODU to build a sound out of conference resume to garner some attention for either an at large NCAA bid, or at least an NIT bid. Don't see that happening with a guy like Carver playing center for ODU, but maybe that's just Jeff, myself, and a few others that think that way.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - JJMonarch - 07-06-2018 12:13 PM

With all the talk of needing and acquiring big men, very little has been said lately of Jason Wade. In my opinion, the coaching staff did a heck of a job getting him on board. Yes, he is the son a former player but that's no guarantee he signs with us. I am sure his dad being a former Monarch played a big part but in the end it was still Jason's decision. And for those that used to think we were slighted with ODU coverage by the Times Dispatch when we were in the CAA , the coverage was about 10 times more then than now. We get NO love, and I mean NO love in the Richmond area. We plucked him out from under VCU's nose and Godwin the year before from UR, so this coaching staff is getting it done. It might be slower coming than we all like but their efforts are showing results.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ODU BBALL - 07-06-2018 12:22 PM

(07-06-2018 12:13 PM)JJMonarch Wrote:  With all the talk of needing and acquiring big men, very little has been said lately of Jason Wade. In my opinion, the coaching staff did a heck of a job getting him on board. Yes, he is the son a former player but that's no guarantee he signs with us. I am sure his dad being a former Monarch played a big part but in the end it was still Jason's decision. And for those that used to think we were slighted with ODU coverage by the Times Dispatch when we were in the CAA , the coverage was about 10 times more then than now. We get NO love, and I mean NO love in the Richmond area. We plucked him out from under VCU's nose and Godwin the year before from UR, so this coaching staff is getting it done. It might be slower coming than we all like but their efforts are showing results.

I agree. 04-cheers