CSNbbs
FUTURE OF CUSA? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: FUTURE OF CUSA? (/thread-781816.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

FUTURE OF CUSA? - BlueRaiderBoy - 06-10-2016 08:28 AM

After CUSA's bruising announcement regarding future TV Money, MT AD Chris Massaro said there will be cuts in the Athletic Budget at Middle Tennessee this fall. Can't help but wonder how this will impact all of us in CUSA over the next Three to Five years even thought the new TV Contract is for only two years. So, realistically, how do you guys think this impacts conference members and our collective future in the Grand Scheme of Intercollegiate Athletics?

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - ThreeifbyLightning - 06-10-2016 08:36 AM

Nothing is going to happen in two years unless Big 12 expands.

We could benefit financially by loosing two teams, but then two we lose would probably hurt our competitive strength.

We'll see what the next round of TV holds, but IMO I believe the C-USA leadership is dreaming if they expect anything different in two years.

We are at the beginning - like the top of the first inning - in terms of the changes that are coming in terms of how people consume video (i.e. "TV"). There are powerful internet brands that have yet to even enter the landscape of live sports and it's coming. The same problems we faced this time are still going to exist in two years. They are still going to exist 10 years from now. This is likely - IMO - the greatest multi-media change that will have been experienced since the TV was created.

The best thing we can do in the next two years is:
1. Solidify a strong relationship with ESPN (so that whatever market they retain we are a part of).
2. Strengthen and deliver a first class conference digital network.
3. Plan to be a two tiered system whereby the conference delivers its own content and gets as many nationally televised games as we can get through ESPN. Whatever isn't on ESPN is owned and operated by the conference.
4. Develop relationships with broadband, satellite, etc providers to get the "C-USA Digital Network" broadcast through the providers for late adopters of the streaming revolution.

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - HerdinNY - 06-10-2016 08:40 AM

It is going to get bad. We have ZERO money. If the AAC comes back and starts making 5-6 million a team, its curtains and we can't play like there is a "G5" anymore from a financial perspective. They already make TEN TIMES what we do PER TEAM.

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - SouthernMissSNu - 06-10-2016 08:42 AM

I think there are a lot of factors at play here. The dwindling amounts of people viewing events on cable or satellite as opposed to streaming online definitely are changing the notion of "tv markets" to ESPN, CBS, FOX, etc. We're all still holding our breath and waiting to see what the BIG XII will do in regards to expansion. The fact that our conference as a whole has not been strong in the past few years when compared to the AAC, MWC, and MAC definitely hurts us as well. However, this TV contract is for two years which may end up being a blessing. I think going forward success from top to bottom in Football and Basketball will be paramount to a getting a better TV or sponsorship deal after these two years are up. Yes we'll all have to go through a few hardships these two years with potential cuts, but the bottom line is if we get teams to crack the top 25, pull some upsets, go deep in the NCAA tourney, play on New Years Day people will start to take notice and that will give us more negotiating leverage when a new TV or even a streaming contract is up in 2 years.

Also, I definitely think the market for streaming or showing live games on tv is definitely shifting and it will be interesting to see how conferences, tv providers, and channels react to it.

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - stanman505 - 06-10-2016 08:42 AM

(06-10-2016 08:36 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Nothing is going to happen in two years unless Big 12 expands.

We could benefit financially by loosing two teams, but then two we lose would probably hurt our competitive strength.

We'll see what the next round of TV holds, but IMO I believe the C-USA leadership is dreaming if they expect anything different in two years.

We are at the beginning - like the top of the first inning - in terms of the changes that are coming in terms of how people consume video (i.e. "TV"). There are powerful internet brands that have yet to even enter the landscape of live sports and it's coming. The same problems we faced this time are still going to exist in two years. They are still going to exist 10 years from now. This is likely - IMO - the greatest multi-media change that will have been experienced since the TV was created.

1. Solidify a strong relationship with ESPN (so that whatever market they retain we are a part of).
3. Plan to be a two tiered system whereby the conference delivers its own content and gets as many nationally televised games as we can get through ESPN. Whatever isn't on ESPN is owned and operated by the conference.
4. Develop relationships with broadband, satellite, etc providers to get the "C-USA Digital Network" broadcast through the providers for late adapters of the streaming revolution.

I really think UTEP will be one of the two. The second team will also be a Texas school, preferable Rice from what I am hearing. It has been a fun ride in CUSA.

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - KAjunRaider - 06-10-2016 08:46 AM

(06-10-2016 08:36 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Nothing is going to happen in two years unless Big 12 expands.

4. Develop relationships with broadband, satellite, etc providers to get the "C-USA Digital Network" broadcast through the providers for late adopters of the streaming revolution.

Also, high on the list should be WINNING more OOC games and advancing further in postseason play. And, of course, winning Bowl games, something that has eluded MT since 2009.

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - baruna falls - 06-10-2016 08:46 AM

Would the top brands in CUSA now have the necessary motivation to try something new? Institutions are risk averse until a crisis. I think the tv contract constitutes a crisis. At some point boosters are going to want a better return on their money. IMO then, its the money people within the fan bases , the super boosters, that will have a say in shaping the conference for the next few years.

Money talks and college football is about money and tv coverage. If your a Marshall booster, or a Southern Miss booster and have seen better financial times, what is to stop you from demanding their respective administration's do whatever is necessary to make sure the sports programs survive.

It seems to me that the top brands in CUSA now have nothing to lose and might want to start reaching out to the Sun Belt teams and create a best of the Belt and Conf USA. A best of would imo, make for a very good conference and one that would have a better chance of proving its value to the tv partners.

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - KAjunRaider - 06-10-2016 08:48 AM

This is exactly what the power conferences had in mind 03-puke

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - KAjunRaider - 06-10-2016 08:50 AM

C-USA already has MT and WKU

Check out how our schools performed in the All-Sports standings while there:

http://sunbeltsports.org/sports/2014/1/8/theBubasCup.aspx

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - usmbacker - 06-10-2016 08:59 AM

(06-10-2016 08:46 AM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  

Also, high on the list should be WINNING more OOC games and advancing further in postseason play. And, of course, winning Bowl games, something that has eluded MT since 2009.

Yep. Face it, overall the CUSA product that was available to buy, just wasn't very good. USM sure did their part to help with 3 wins in three years. Until the league has a better on the field product to sell, it is going to be like this.

That said, I agree that we are in a transformation stage in how people view video. That played a great deal in this latest tv contract. I suspect the other G5 leagues will find this the be the case when their new tv deals are negotiated.

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - HogDawg - 06-10-2016 09:02 AM

CUSA needs new and bold leadership. Today, we just don't have it with Judy MacLeod. She's a terrible leader. As long as Judy Mac is commissioner, we're simply postponing the inevitable. If we don't make a change in the commissioner role soon, we'll have no one to blame but ourselves. There's too much at stake to continue having a "PC appointee" in that position.

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - HerdinNY - 06-10-2016 09:04 AM

(06-10-2016 08:59 AM)usmbacker Wrote:  

Yep. Face it, overall the CUSA product that was available to buy, just wasn't very good. USM sure did their part to help with 3 wins in three years. Until the league has a better on the field product to sell, it is going to be like this.

That said, I agree that we are in a transformation stage in how people view video. That played a great deal in this latest tv contract. I suspect the other G5 leagues will find this the be the case when their new tv deals are negotiated.

People keep harping on how "oh just wait until the other G5's negotiate"... blah blah. I would bet money that the AAC gets a bump up their next contract. Mike Aresco is much more skilled than the buffoon we have running the show.

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - ThreeifbyLightning - 06-10-2016 09:09 AM

I'm not going disagree with the point. Certainly, performance issues are at play to a degree.

But this is about much, much more than that. The dynamic that is playing out has the networks terrified. They, themselves, don't yet know how to deal with this situation. And when you add on top of that the ludicrous numbers that the networks paid at the top of this market just before the crush of cord cutters networks like ESPN are the ones who are in crisis mode. You cannot put this all on performance. This is much bigger than that, and change creates fear. Again, I can't emphasize enough that we are in the early stages of the greatest transitory period in American multi-media history.

And if any of us go to the AAC and expect a different outcome in three years when they have to renew (or expect it here in two years) then we have no one to blame but ourselves for unreasonable expectations.

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - tennischamp - 06-10-2016 09:10 AM

(06-10-2016 08:46 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  Would the top brands in CUSA now have the necessary motivation to try something new? Institutions are risk averse until a crisis. I think the tv contract constitutes a crisis. At some point boosters are going to want a better return on their money. IMO then, its the money people within the fan bases , the super boosters, that will have a say in shaping the conference for the next few years.

Money talks and college football is about money and tv coverage. If your a Marshall booster, or a Southern Miss booster and have seen better financial times, what is to stop you from demanding their respective administration's do whatever is necessary to make sure the sports programs survive.

It seems to me that the top brands in CUSA now have nothing to lose and might want to start reaching out to the Sun Belt teams and create a best of the Belt and Conf USA. A best of would imo, make for a very good conference and one that would have a better chance of proving its value to the tv partners.

I concur. A realignment of the top half of CUSA and the top half of the Sun Belt would make for a conference that would be tough from top to bottom in football, basketball, and baseball. Even the attendance would be impressive looking.

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - HerdinNY - 06-10-2016 09:10 AM

(06-10-2016 09:09 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  

I'm not going disagree with the point. Certainly, performance issues are at play to a degree.

But this is about much, much more than that. The dynamic that is playing out has the networks terrified. They, themselves, don't yet know how to deal with this situation. And when you add on top of that the ludicrous numbers that the networks paid at the top of this market just before the crush of cord cutters networks like ESPN are the ones who are in crisis mode. You cannot put this all on performance. This is much bigger than that, and change creates fear. Again, I can't emphasize enough that we are in the early stages of the greatest transitory period in American multi-media history.

And if any of us go to the AAC and expect a different outcome in three years when they have to renew (or expect it here in two years) then we have no one to blame but ourselves for unreasonable expectations.

They have better programs. So I would. I don't understand why people cannot see this. WAKE UP.

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - ThreeifbyLightning - 06-10-2016 09:21 AM

(06-10-2016 09:10 AM)HerdinNY Wrote:  
(06-10-2016 09:09 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  

They have better programs. So I would. I don't understand why people cannot see this. WAKE UP.

Because neither of us are in power conferences that command a national rating of 9.0 or better when we play on a national network. The days of ESPN paying millions per team for anyone not in the P5 are over regardless of whether they do have better programs.

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - Migser31 - 06-10-2016 09:30 AM

The cord cutting is only going to increase and if you think the other G5 conferences are going to get any benefit at all you're a fool. The P5 is going to monopolize the money because they have the marketing power the big cable companies want, regardless of on field performance. I'm of the mindset of a few others I've seen on the board, WE SHOULD GO FULL STEAM AHEAD IN THE STREAMING DIRECTION. We should be working very hard on building a relationship with; NetFlix, Hulu, Google (YouTube) and Amazon. Hell, even the large cable content providers (HBO, Showtime, etc.) see the writing on the wall and offer their services through content streaming providers. We'd be the trailblazers but it and EASY way to put up a CUSA Network Sport without the need of cable negotiations and agreements.

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - Niner National - 06-10-2016 09:51 AM

I think eventually we have to see more regionalization of the conferences.

If TV revenue isn't going to be there, you have to cut costs. I remember reading that when ODU joined CUSA, their travel budget went from $800,000 to over $2 million. That's more than the old TV revenue even covered.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that G5 football is going to keep becoming more and more irrelevant to the point that it is essentially it's own sub-tier of football, much like FCS is. Some AAC schools will get the call up in a final round of re-alignment, but the left behinds will end up being a conference pretty much on par with the other G5's.

Maybe at that point the conferences wise up and realize they need to reconfigure to reduce costs and increase regional interest in the games. I have nothing against the western schools in the conference, but the reality is, they're not of interest to people on the east coast just like my school is not of interest to their fans / community residents...so why piss away millions of dollars flying our teams around to play each other?

It's a depressing future for sure.

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - WKUFan518 - 06-10-2016 10:04 AM

Doubt much will change in 2 years...Some of you act like our performances on the field have been horrible....They have not been, finished 1st two years ago in Gof5 and higher then SB and MAC last season....Have had a ranked team each season and have won a lot of our bowl games....Clearly football performance on field is not going to move the needle on its own.....Basketball yes I agree we have room for improvement but we have won 1 game the last 2 seasons......THis is exactly what P5 wanted and are getting, I am afraid its only going to get worse....I see the writing on the wall...

RE: FUTURE OF CUSA? - arkstfan - 06-10-2016 10:12 AM

Values for G5 aren't a constant rising nor falling. The situation of each negotiation depends on the market needs of the day.

The old CUSA deal.
Fox did not have any CFB content they could distribute nationally. CUSA 2.x got a premium for being their first national content.
CBSSN had basically nothing except MWC. CUSA 2.x got a premium for being their first Eastern/Central timezone content.

Fox has elected to not take on ESPN with a large inventory online package like ESPN has done with ESPN3

Fox can now distribute Big XII and Pac-12 nationally and apparently is getting part of the Big 10 package. Fox's needs are different than when the old deal was done.

ESPN ended up with a lot of excess AAC and MAC content and is selling it to CBSSN for less than CBSSN paid per game to CUSA. That's going to create deflation.

The AAC wanted to walk from ESPN and NBC was willing to show them love making them a big part NBCSN and the various Comcast RSNs. ESPN had right of first refusal and elected to match the NBC offer. Did they pay that price because that was what AAC was worth to them or because that was a fair price for them to pay to keep NBC limited to Notre Dame in owning FBS content?

MAC nailed their negotiation. They reopened at a point when NIU had pulled some audiences in excess of a million viewers (not something that happens often with the G5) and while ESPN was looking to expand its ESPN3 portfolio and wanted to expand its weeknight portfolio so that they now double book MAC games late in the season with the most attractive game going to ESPN2 or ESPN and the lesser game getting selected for ESPNU but they pay a premium to get two games moved to the weeknight so they can flex.

I would bet a quality hamburger (not fast food cardboard) that when Fox and CBSSN cut the fee to CUSA that CUSA could have gone forward and done a full blown renegotiation for more years at a price higher than what this deal produced (being a two year deal is almost certainly lowered in value just on that point alone) but the commissioner and key presidents refused to accept that the total value should drop in a long-term deal even though there had been significant membership changes as well as the premium generating conditions no longer being in place. I'm pretty confident a better deal could have struck at that point instead of doing a deal with the conclusion of the existing deal rapidly approaching.

The marketplace is changing (again) and a good G5 deal isn't an impossibility but it will happen when there is malalignment between how TV makes money and what they have available to exploit making money, that fueled the AAC deal it fueled the CUSA 2.x deal.