CSNbbs
Big XII-The 3 square pegs - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Big XII-The 3 square pegs (/thread-780604.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Big XII-The 3 square pegs - EvilVodka - 05-24-2016 08:42 AM

Whatever expansion scenarios exist with the Big XII, I don't see how Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas will want to stick around....all three schools are bigger and better than what the Big XII has to offer....

Oklahoma and Kansas are constantly mentioned as B1G or SEC expansion candidates....eventually as the GOR reaches expiration, you've got to believe Oklahoma will start exploring their options. They would be STUPID not to...

...and I tend to think Kansas, not Oklahoma State, will be the school that follows them. Kansas would be smart to look at their options as well....B1G, SEC, ACC, PAC 12, take your pick. Kansas is AAU, has a blue-blood basketball program, and is a flagship University....they are good enough to garner attention.

Texas needs to get on the ball and figure out what the hell they are doing....they have a network, but they need to figure out how to get content for it, because it's a complete $$$ loser, and I can't imagine ESPN wanting to renew it. They should go independent, and maybe stick their sports in either the ACC or the Mountain West. Their desire to keep the Big XII as a small regional conference is hurting everyone, even themselves....they've got the platform to elevate to a NATIONAL team, so they better use it before it's gone.

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - Sellular1 - 05-24-2016 08:55 AM

If "football drives expansion", Kansas better just keep their head down and stay put.

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - Hokie4Skins - 05-24-2016 08:57 AM

Still not convinced that KU finds a great landing spot if conference upheaval comes their way. They certainly weren't safe in 2010-11.

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - 10thMountain - 05-24-2016 09:02 AM

I propose an exception to the conventional wisdom:

"Football drives the bus...unless you are a blue blood basketball royalty school"

Kansas will not be left out anymore than Duke would be left out.

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - Sellular1 - 05-24-2016 09:06 AM

(05-24-2016 09:02 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  I propose an exception to the conventional wisdom:

"Football drives the bus...unless you are a blue blood basketball royalty school"

The Kansas bus driver has been dead for years then. They are one of the worst FBS teams in the country. In comparison, Duke has been a top 25 team lately.

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - EvilVodka - 05-24-2016 09:07 AM

(05-24-2016 08:57 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  Still not convinced that KU finds a great landing spot if conference upheaval comes their way. They certainly weren't safe in 2010-11.

Kansas would fit in well with the SEC....they would immediately have regional football partners in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Mizzou. Their basketball would pair well with Kentucky

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - RUScarlets - 05-24-2016 09:20 AM

Fat chance Delaney lets those two slide away, assuming he can't poach any ACC schools which is looking more and more like reality. He'd be left with UConn and ISU in the immediate vicinity. OU/KU would be an absolute steal for the SEC.

At that point, the PAC will by vying for UT along with the B1G. PAC can offer UT, TTech, OSU, and KSU potentially, but Baylor would try to force their had. That's when the ACC can look at Texas, with either Baylor or TCU, plus ND for 16. If the Pac loses out on UT, they may still take a Baylor or a Houston, or nobody at all.

The AAC would get the left overs. I can see the B1G going for ISU and UT for a flat 16.

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - ken d - 05-24-2016 09:44 AM

(05-24-2016 08:42 AM)EvilVodka Wrote:  Whatever expansion scenarios exist with the Big XII, I don't see how Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas will want to stick around....all three schools are bigger and better than what the Big XII has to offer....

Oklahoma and Kansas are constantly mentioned as B1G or SEC expansion candidates....eventually as the GOR reaches expiration, you've got to believe Oklahoma will start exploring their options. They would be STUPID not to...

...and I tend to think Kansas, not Oklahoma State, will be the school that follows them. Kansas would be smart to look at their options as well....B1G, SEC, ACC, PAC 12, take your pick. Kansas is AAU, has a blue-blood basketball program, and is a flagship University....they are good enough to garner attention.

Texas needs to get on the ball and figure out what the hell they are doing....they have a network, but they need to figure out how to get content for it, because it's a complete $$$ loser, and I can't imagine ESPN wanting to renew it. They should go independent, and maybe stick their sports in either the ACC or the Mountain West. Their desire to keep the Big XII as a small regional conference is hurting everyone, even themselves....they've got the platform to elevate to a NATIONAL team, so they better use it before it's gone.

I may be the outlier here, but IMO Texas' potential to be a national power in football is directly related to its playing and recruiting primarily in its own region. In their own heads this may not be the case - they may feel the Big XII needs them more than they need the Big XII. But IMO, if they go to the PAC, it is the PAC that benefits most, not UT.

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - EvilVodka - 05-24-2016 09:55 AM

(05-24-2016 09:44 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(05-24-2016 08:42 AM)EvilVodka Wrote:  Whatever expansion scenarios exist with the Big XII, I don't see how Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas will want to stick around....all three schools are bigger and better than what the Big XII has to offer....

I may be the outlier here, but IMO Texas' potential to be a national power in football is directly related to its playing and recruiting primarily in its own region. In their own heads this may not be the case - they may feel the Big XII needs them more than they need the Big XII. But IMO, if they go to the PAC, it is the PAC that benefits most, not UT.

Texas will always be able to recruit their own region....what they need to do is recruit nationally. Go get Florida athletes, and Cali QBs, and giant linemen from Wisconsin....Texas can be a national power. Why not try and evolving into that? If it fails for some reason, they can always go to the B1G...

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - Tigeer - 05-24-2016 10:04 AM

Kansas FB and the associated stadium is not P5 worthy; maybe they will eventually invest a bit in that, but their hoops probably does garner attention as you mention. This whole thing, in the mid-term anyway, is heading to an autonomously run 4-5 mega conference, with some sort of commissioner, type league, and that organization will probably re-org all the teams into some sort of geographic sensible pods. Said organization, with its 64 plus or so teams, will ultimately make everyone more money by negotiating as one unit. It will also be able to make its own rules - no more NCAA. My only thought is - what about hoops? Does it allow for one independent pod for schools of some kind to house the teams that are in the A-10 and Big East and others play in their sandbox - not sure. But probably, yes, for TV content.

In my interest - I just hope Memphis and WVU are part of it.

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - MWC Tex - 05-24-2016 10:17 AM

(05-24-2016 09:02 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  I propose an exception to the conventional wisdom:

I'll agree with you here. The PAC-10 was interested in KU. But, what is different this time around is the NCAA signing a bigger contract with CBS/Turner that just made the NCAA credits more valuable.

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - jaredf29 - 05-24-2016 10:19 AM

(05-24-2016 09:55 AM)EvilVodka Wrote:  

Texas will always be able to recruit their own region....what they need to do is recruit nationally. Go get Florida athletes, and Cali QBs, and giant linemen from Wisconsin....Texas can be a national power. Why not try and evolving into that? If it fails for some reason, they can always go to the B1G...

Texas has been losing out on recruits to A&M, TCU, Baylor, and Houston. They're struggling to recruit anybody anytime anymore. Before, all they had to do was show interest but those days waned while Mac Brown was still there. It wouldn't be easy at all for them to recruit nationally, especially with satellite camps in the fold now.

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - Carolina_Low_Country - 05-24-2016 10:29 AM

I do not understand why Kansas does not build a state of the art football stadium similar to Baylor or TCU will all the bells and whistles with a capacity around 50,000. That would put Kansas on the map for football and really help them get into the Big Ten. Kansas won a BCS game they can win again just need to improve that dump they play in.

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - ken d - 05-24-2016 10:32 AM

"can be" being the operative words here. In reality, in the 46 years since 1970, Texas has won only a single national championship in football. I think they are perceived within Texas as more of a national power than they are or have ever been.

That's not to say they aren't a national brand, and can sell lots of burnt orange merchandise because of that. But I suspect that if they are just an ordinary team, playing mostly teams from outside the Texas / Oklahoma region, their recruiting in their home state will suffer dramatically. I could be wrong. The question is, does UT want to take the risk that I may be right?

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - EvilVodka - 05-24-2016 11:00 AM

(05-24-2016 10:32 AM)ken d Wrote:  

"can be" being the operative words here. In reality, in the 46 years since 1970, Texas has won only a single national championship in football. I think they are perceived within Texas as more of a national power than they are or have ever been.

That's not to say they aren't a national brand, and can sell lots of burnt orange merchandise because of that. But I suspect that if they are just an ordinary team, playing mostly teams from outside the Texas / Oklahoma region, their recruiting in their home state will suffer dramatically. I could be wrong. The question is, does UT want to take the risk that I may be right?

well, I'd imagine UT would still play Texas schools....there's plenty of Texas schools to go around.

I'm sure their "national" schedule would have a formula, similar to ND

2-3 Texas teams
2 SEC or B1G Teams
2 PAC 12 teams

Maybe even make BYU a mainstay on it...

Schedule Tulane...

You could create a national schedule that covers the bases and gets Texas playing a wider variety of teams.

Face it, part of their schedule right now has 2 Kansas teams, Iowa State, West Virginia, Texas Tech?? just not that interesting

Do what BYU and ND do....get the big names on the schedule, Michigan, USC, Alabama...get Florida teams. Who wouldn't like to see UT vs. Florida/FSU/Miami

Get Rice and BYU as mainstays, and fill in with some Mountain West schools...

You could definitely create a more interesting schedule than what Texas has now, which is OU, Okie State, TCU, and Baylor.

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - Frank the Tank - 05-24-2016 11:03 AM

Agreed. Kansas will not be left behind. Period. They are a very special exception to the general rule just like Duke, UNC, Kentucky and Indiana. KU could go 0-12 in football every year and it wouldn't matter in *their* special situation - they're still the either the 2nd or 3rd most valuable brand in the Big 12. (OU has the football value, but KU still has the AAU factor in its favor in conference realignment terms.)

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - Johnny Incognito - 05-24-2016 11:17 AM

What makes Kansas so awesome for the BIG but not UConn?

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - TripleA - 05-24-2016 11:27 AM

(05-24-2016 11:17 AM)Johnny Incognito Wrote:  What makes Kansas so awesome for the BIG but not UConn?

For starters, KU is AAU. UConn isn't. And KU is already in the big boys' club. But I think UConn is a better fit for the ACC, and then the B1G, before it is for the Big 12.

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - TripleA - 05-24-2016 11:28 AM

If that is the case, then why are they bothering with this charade? To have a public excuse to leave? They don't need one.

RE: Big XII-The 3 square pegs - USAFMEDIC - 05-24-2016 12:03 PM

Oklahoma has been shopping for a new conference for years.