CSNbbs
Tulane game at UMass switch to on campus and some stadium tidbits - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Tulane game at UMass switch to on campus and some stadium tidbits (/thread-780096.html)

Pages: 1 2

Tulane game at UMass switch to on campus and some stadium tidbits - Steve1981 - 05-16-2016 07:47 PM

Tulane fans, was wondering about forum registration and if I missed something. Around noontime it was announced you'd be playing on campus instead of Gillette. So I registered and nothing. Was going to post some info about visiting Amherst and an image about McGuirk. Have no idea were they got that old picture. Any suggestions?

RE: Question about yogwf for Tulane fans - Pony94 - 05-16-2016 07:48 PM

16 or Savacool will help you

RE: Question about yogwf for Tulane fans - Thegoldstandard - 05-16-2016 07:59 PM

(05-16-2016 07:48 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  16 or Savacool will help you

Unless they are pulling the evening shift on the drive thru

RE: Question about yogwf for Tulane fans - Steve1981 - 05-16-2016 08:20 PM

(05-16-2016 07:59 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  

Unless they are pulling the evening shift on the drive thru

Had no idea of the love between Southern Miss and the Green Wave.
Anyhow, we have Mississippi State at Gillette followed by Tulane on campus for Oct 1st homecoming.

RE: Question about yogwf for Tulane fans - JHG722 - 05-16-2016 11:15 PM

GoTula.net or die

RE: Question about yogwf for Tulane fans - Bearcats#1 - 05-17-2016 07:19 AM

haha

RE: Question about yogwf for Tulane fans - TU77CAL82 - 05-17-2016 07:30 AM

(05-16-2016 07:47 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Tulane fans, was wondering about forum registration and if I missed something. Around noontime it was announced you'd be playing on campus instead of Gillette. So I registered and nothing. Was going to post some info about visiting Amherst and an image about McGuirk. Have no idea were they got that old picture. Any suggestions?

Registration isn't automatic. I believe that one of the mods has to sign off. Sometimes it takes a little while.

RE: Question about yogwf for Tulane fans - Steve1981 - 05-17-2016 10:10 AM

Thanks, was able to log in and will check out the JHG7222 provided.

There was some interesting stuff regarding the game being moved on campus.
Not so much as Tulane saving 50k, but about the stadium.

RE: Question about yogwf for Tulane fans - Steve1981 - 05-17-2016 11:27 AM

http://www.gazettenet.com/UMass-vs-Tulane-game-moved-from-Foxborough-to-Amherst-2181131

Quote:UMass’ Oct. 1 game against Tulane has been moved from Gillette Stadium in Foxborough to McGuirk Stadium and will be homecoming. The move brings the total in Amherst to three games, making an even split between the two sites.

The 2016 schedule originally had just five home games, four at Gillette and one (Wagner on Oct. 29) in Amherst. But contractual maneuvering switched UMass’ game with BC (Sept. 10) from a road game to a home game (at Gillette), and postponed a game with UConn (in Foxborough) to a later season, opening a date for a game with Florida International in Amherst.

The original terms of the contract between UMass and Tulane, an American Athletic Association school in New Orleans, had the Minutemen paying the Green Wave $350,000 to play in Foxborough this season, while Tulane would pay UMass $400,000 to visit Yulman Stadium in 2022.

As part of the agreement to switch locations, Bamford said the payment amounts will be switched.

“We just reversed it,” he said. “It basically cost us an extra $50,000 this year, which we feel like we will recover in costs (not having to pay to have the team go to Gillette), and we think we can make that up in revenue. It was an easy deal to make.”

Bamford said no compensation was required for the Kraft family, which owns Gillette Stadium.

“The Krafts have been great with all of this,” Bamford said. “They’ve been very helpful and supportive.”

Since Bamford was hired just over a year ago, he has talked about bringing as many games back to campus as possible and limiting the use of Gillette.

All six home games in 2017 are scheduled for McGuirk with only a smattering of future games set for Foxborough.

“We only want to play games at Gillette where we can get 25,000 to 30,000-plus people,” Bamford said. “We’d put games like Mississippi State, BYU or Boston College there.”

Bamford said UMass was already exploring temporary additional seats at McGuirk for the 2017 season, but hoped for more permanent solutions long term.

“There’s a lot of talk right now. I wouldn’t say there’s anything moving in that direction,” Bamford said. “Looking at what our options are, it’s anything from enhancing the bathrooms and concessions, which is not a considerable cost, to adding seats. We haven’t had any real high level conversations about it. I’ve probably done more homework than anything. I need to know what our options are, to be able to go back to our leadership and say this is where I think we need to be.”

Bamford would like to have some improvement in place for the 2017 season.

I do know we could get (capacity) from 17 to maybe 20,000 pretty easily with some temporary seating options and some (standing room) and feel good about that if we have to for 2017,” he said. “More than that, if we’re bringing 20,000 people here we have to figure out a way to not have them going into Porta-Johns to use the bathroom and not using the makeshift stands for concessions.

“We’ve made the best of the situation with a 50-year old stadium,” Bamford continued. “But in order to act like and FBS and do things at a level where we’re going to bring people here, we’ve got to be better. Now we have to figure out what better looks like.”

UMass averaged 12,527 fans in three games at McGuirk Stadium in 2015, but Bamford was hopeful that 20,000 was possible.

“I think we can get to 20,000 if we’re playing good football and good teams that people want to come see,” he said.

He hoped any temporary fixes could be a bridge to something more permanent.

“We’re going to have to make some decisions in the next three to five years about what the stadium is, what it looks like and how it acts for is,” he said. “We’re trying to evaluate all our options and see what’s fiscally responsible.”

RE: Tulane game at UMass switch to on campus and some stadium tidbits - Steve1981 - 05-17-2016 01:09 PM

Beyond shocked you guys did not jump all over us for first expanding seating on the cheap, temporary seating. We are just pragmatic and need to prove in 2017 that we need the expanded capacity so a true stadium expansion can be completed by 2019-20.

Last year's game against Temple killed us on a final extra point turnover to a safety. Then some really bad games on campus against Kent State and Miami set us back. Have my maroon glasses on and think will over come that this year and make a push in 2017 to showing a true need for stadium expansion.

RE: Tulane game at UMass switch to on campus and some stadium tidbits - UConnHusky - 05-17-2016 01:15 PM

[Image: Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg]

RE: Tulane game at UMass switch to on campus and some stadium tidbits - Steve1981 - 05-17-2016 01:43 PM

(05-17-2016 01:15 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  [Image: Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg]
Yes this is what I was expecting.. 03-wink

RE: Tulane game at UMass switch to on campus and some stadium tidbits - Enviro5609 - 05-17-2016 01:55 PM

It wasn't 50k, its a 100k swing. Series payouts were 400k to Umass in 2016, 350k to Tulane for the return trip in 2022. Now its switched, and we will make money out of the arrangement.

Still not happy the AD cancelled our game in Starksville against Miss State for this, but hey, the new AD saw lemons and made lemonade. No offense to UMass, but we should not be scheduling games against teams where we are going to lose money on the deal unless its an FCS body-bag game. The previous AD was just terrible for our entire athletic department. It was an open secret that he was doing this to water down the schedule for our previous HC, to get him a winning season in his contract year and a fig leaf for the growing fan revolt. This is hopefully one of the last vestiges of that old growth being torn out.

Silver lining, the new coach gets to cut his teeth on a schedule with teams like ULL and UMass instead of Miss St and Ole Miss.

RE: Tulane game at UMass switch to on campus and some stadium tidbits - Steve1981 - 05-17-2016 02:08 PM

Enviro5609, we had a bad AD, no FBS experience, and it hurt us. Really like our new AD Ryan Bamford and hopefully your new AD will get you moving forward as well.

RE: Tulane game at UMass switch to on campus and some stadium tidbits - HP-TBDPITL - 05-17-2016 02:13 PM

So this confirms my original thoughts....that UMass has no plan for football.

In the spring of 2011, they announced they would be going to FBS and join the MAC.

3 years later, they announced they would leave the MAC after the 2015 season and become Indy.

In the meantime, they played games at Gillette and built a new locker room and football facility. And press box.

No bathrooms, no concessions, no conference.

Does this look like they thought this out?

RE: Tulane game at UMass switch to on campus and some stadium tidbits - Steve1981 - 05-17-2016 02:47 PM

(05-17-2016 02:13 PM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  So this confirms my original thoughts....that UMass has no plan for football.

In the spring of 2011, they announced they would be going to FBS and join the MAC.

3 years later, they announced they would leave the MAC after the 2015 season and become Indy.

In the meantime, they played games at Gillette and built a new locker room and football facility. And press box.

The issue is we allowed ourselves to fall so far behind we have to do it in steps.
We went from this in 2011:
[Image: aerial.jpg]
To this in 2014 with added concessions items as suchi, lobster rolls, etc from the #2 food services department in the nation:
[Image: 8293846.jpeg?1434142429]
Then in 2017 adding 3k seats and other improvements.

Then in 2019-20 full scale stadium improvements that you'd expect in a FBS stadium.

Re: RE: Tulane game at UMass switch to on campus and some stadium tidbits - shere khan - 05-17-2016 09:08 PM

(05-17-2016 02:47 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
(05-17-2016 02:13 PM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  So this confirms my original thoughts....that UMass has no plan for football.

The issue is we allowed ourselves to fall so far behind we have to do it in steps.
We went from this in 2011:
[Image: aerial.jpg]
To this in 2014 with added concessions items as suchi, lobster rolls, etc from the #2 food services department in the nation:
[Image: 8293846.jpeg?1434142429]
Then in 2017 adding 3k seats and other improvements.

Then in 2019-20 full scale stadium improvements that you'd expect in a FBS stadium.

Lobster rolls. Smh.

RE: Tulane game at UMass switch to on campus and some stadium tidbits - DUPERGREENIE - 05-17-2016 10:25 PM

I'm not sure why this agreement was put in place. Personally I don't see how it benefits either team. Both schools have small fan bases which will be hard to travel to the other city and it would be silly to start some sort of rivalry. I am in no way shape or form saying that Tulane is 'above' UMASS but at this stage in both programs a victory is like EH.

RE: Tulane game at UMass switch to on campus and some stadium tidbits - GreenWave16 - 05-17-2016 10:31 PM

(05-17-2016 10:25 PM)DUPERGREENIE Wrote:  I'm not sure why this agreement was put in place. Personally I don't see how it benefits either team. Both schools have small fan bases which will be hard to travel to the other city and it would be silly to start some sort of rivalry. I am in no way shape or form saying that Tulane is 'above' UMASS but at this stage in both programs a victory is like EH.

I would say we are above UMASS, check the conference we are in.

RE: Tulane game at UMass switch to on campus and some stadium tidbits - Bearcats#1 - 05-18-2016 06:05 AM

(05-17-2016 10:31 PM)GreenWave16 Wrote:  
(05-17-2016 10:25 PM)DUPERGREENIE Wrote:  I'm not sure why this agreement was put in place. Personally I don't see how it benefits either team. Both schools have small fan bases which will be hard to travel to the other city and it would be silly to start some sort of rivalry. I am in no way shape or form saying that Tulane is 'above' UMASS but at this stage in both programs a victory is like EH.

I would say we are above UMASS, check the conference we are in.

flawed logic

Washington State isn't above Boise State, yet Wazzou is in a better conference.

Vandy isn't above Florida State, yet Vandy is in a better conference.