CSNbbs
Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) (/thread-778468.html)

Pages: 1 2

Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - waltgreenberg - 04-25-2016 07:48 AM

We drop only two spots in Baseball America, from #13 to #15....

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/college-top-25-april-25/#lHFdkYir39dckcit.97

...but to show how ridiculously fickle and volatile BA's poll is, USM jumps from not rated to #14 in one week after eking out a home series win against us. That's insane.

And we drop one spot in Perfect Game, from #23 to #24, while USM goes from unranked to #21. How in the world do these guys still have FAU ahead of us at #22 after losing two consecutive weekend series to second tier CUSA teams?...

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=12382

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - ExcitedOwl18 - 04-25-2016 08:14 AM

(04-25-2016 07:48 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  We drop only two spots in Baseball America, from #13 to #15....

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/college-top-25-april-25/#lHFdkYir39dckcit.97

...but to show how ridiculously fickle and volatile BA's poll is, USM jumps from not rated to #14 in one week after eking out a home series win against us. That's insane.

And we drop one spot in Perfect Game, from #23 to #24, while USM goes from unranked to #21. How in the world do these guys still have FAU ahead of us at #22 after losing two consecutive weekend series to second tier CUSA teams?...

Not excusing it, but FAU did go 3-2 on the week with a win against #1 Miami and a decent FGCU team.

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - waltgreenberg - 04-25-2016 08:23 AM

(04-25-2016 08:14 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(04-25-2016 07:48 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  We drop only two spots in Baseball America, from #13 to #15....

Not excusing it, but FAU did go 3-2 on the week with a win against #1 Miami and a decent FGCU team.

Midweek games NEVER have a great impact on the polls, or they shouldn't. How can you lose back-to-back weekend series vs. UAB and FIU and still be ranked, and ahead of us, no less?

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - waltgreenberg - 04-25-2016 08:32 AM

Per Boydsworld...

RPI: #18
ISR: #19
SoS: #11

FAU: #27 RPI, #27 ISR, #133 SoS
USM: #19 RPI, #15 ISR, #57 SoS

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - waltgreenberg - 04-25-2016 09:22 AM

We drop just one spot in D1Baseball, from #15 to #16, with USM reentering at #25...

http://www.d1baseball.com/rankings/d1baseball-top-25-rankings-april-25/

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - owl at the moon - 04-25-2016 09:43 AM

(04-25-2016 08:23 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

Midweek games NEVER have a great impact on the polls, or they shouldn't. How can you lose back-to-back weekend series vs. UAB and FIU and still be ranked, and ahead of us, no less?

I agree with all on here so far that Rice should be ranked (at least) a little bit ahead of USM in the national rankings right now.
But I don't fault BA for moving them ahead of us. I feel that we're a better overall team for the reasons mentioned... it is justifiable to rank them higher for "finally" proving themselves as a team worthy of a national ranking.
Personally I'd put them one or two spots behind us - more or less the average between BA and D1.
FAU I'd keep on the fringes of consideration due to the Miami win - but just outside T25 until they can "prove" themselves against USM or Rice. (Which, I frankly don't see happening...) but that doesn't mean they're not a Top 30 team. If they can win at least a couple games against USM and Rice they're clearly on the inside for at-large. And of course they cannot be ignored for the Conference race. All they need is one hot weekend and they are right back in the middle of things.

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - waltgreenberg - 04-25-2016 09:58 AM

(04-25-2016 09:43 AM)owl at the moon Wrote:  
(04-25-2016 08:23 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

I agree with all on here so far that Rice should be ranked (at least) a little bit ahead of USM in the national rankings right now.
But I don't fault BA for moving them ahead of us. I feel that we're a better overall team for the reasons mentioned... it is justifiable to rank them higher for "finally" proving themselves as a team worthy of a national ranking.
Personally I'd put them one or two spots behind us - more or less the average between BA and D1.
FAU I'd keep on the fringes of consideration due to the Miami win - but just outside T25 until they can "prove" themselves against USM or Rice. (Which, I frankly don't see happening...) but that doesn't mean they're not a Top 30 team. If they can win at least a couple games against USM and Rice they're clearly on the inside for at-large. And of course they cannot be ignored for the Conference race. All they need is one hot weekend and they are right back in the middle of things.

No one's counting out FAU, and they're most definitely a post-season team at his point. I also expect them to win at least one, if not two, against USM at home this weekend, as their offense will produce against USM's mediocre at best pitching staff. I expect a very high scoring series. However, with a #133-ranked SoS, their W-L record is highly deceptive.

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - waltgreenberg - 04-25-2016 10:00 AM

College Baseball Central drops us from #19 to #23, while leapfrogging USM from unranked to #19, despite a 2-2 week...

http://collegebaseballcentral.com/college-baseball-central-top-25-42516/13702/

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - ExcitedOwl18 - 04-25-2016 10:38 AM

Rice dropped 1 spot to #!6 in D1 Baseball.

USM in at #25.

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - owlsfan - 04-25-2016 11:37 AM

"Midweek games NEVER have a great impact on the polls, or they shouldn't."

I will bow to your knowledge on the history ("...NEVER have a great impact..."), but beating the then #1 (and now #2) team at their place sure seems to me as if it should have a great impact.

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - Houston Owl - 04-25-2016 01:53 PM

Midweek games NEVER affect the polls (except when they do affect the polls).

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - owlsfan - 04-25-2016 01:56 PM

"Midweek games NEVER affect the polls (except when they do affect the polls)."

I really cannot argue with you on this.

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - waltgreenberg - 04-25-2016 03:46 PM

(04-25-2016 11:37 AM)owlsfan Wrote:  "Midweek games NEVER have a great impact on the polls, or they shouldn't."

I will bow to your knowledge on the history ("...NEVER have a great impact..."), but beating the then #1 (and now #2) team at their place sure seems to me as if it should have a great impact.

Just a historical fact often repeated by the college baseball pundits who vote in the polls. Midweek games carry far less weight than the weekend since the #4 or #5 starting pitchers. Yes, you get the same RPI impact, and it does show up on your overall Top 25/50/100 resume as a win, but that's it. From the polls' perspective, midweek games do not have a great impact. Look at USM just this past week-- they were just 2-2, including a blowout midweek loss at Tulane, but they jumped as much as 10+ spots in the polls. That loss to Tulane was totally ignored by the pollsters.

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - waltgreenberg - 04-25-2016 03:56 PM

(04-25-2016 03:46 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(04-25-2016 11:37 AM)owlsfan Wrote:  "Midweek games NEVER have a great impact on the polls, or they shouldn't."

Just a historical fact often repeated by the college baseball pundits who vote in the polls. Midweek games carry far less weight than the weekend since the #4 or #5 starting pitchers. Yes, you get the same RPI impact, and it does show up on your overall Top 25/50/100 resume as a win, but that's it. From the polls' perspective, midweek games do not have a great impact. Look at USM just this past week-- they were just 2-2, including a blowout midweek loss at Tulane, but they jumped as much as 10+ spots in the polls. That loss to Tulane was totally ignored by the pollsters.

And to reinforce my point, here's Aaron Fitt's response to an FAU's fans question in today's online chat...

Quote:Comment From Taylor
Complete disregard of FAU this week? Not even considering them? I get they lost two of three this weekend but come on… beat your #1 ranked team. Hard to believe in any sense that Minnesota is better than Florida Atlantic.

Aaron Fitt:
C’mon, Taylor — FAU has lost two weekend series in the last three weeks, against Charlotte and Marshall — those are bad series losses against teams with losing records. Weekend results matter a lot more than midweek results. Minnesota’s resume is a lot more impressive right now than FAU’s. And yes, I think Minnesota might very well be better than FAU — I trust Minnesota’s pitching a lot more, and its offense is pretty darn good, too. Gophers are a balanced club.

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - waltgreenberg - 04-25-2016 04:03 PM

#20 in College Sports Madness down from #18....but only #29 in the joke that is Collegiate Baseball (down from #24) and not even in the Top 30 of the Writers poll (USM only #29, yet FAU is #18)-- go figure.

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - Brookes Owl - 04-25-2016 04:06 PM

(04-25-2016 03:46 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Just a historical fact often repeated by the college baseball pundits who vote in the polls.

03-lmfao

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - I45owl - 04-25-2016 05:56 PM

(04-25-2016 01:56 PM)owlsfan Wrote:  "Midweek games NEVER affect the polls (except when they do affect the polls)."

I really cannot argue with you on this.

As much as I'd like to agree with you, I just can't.

Midweek games ALWAYS affect the polls (except when they don't affect the polls).

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - I45owl - 04-25-2016 06:04 PM

(04-25-2016 03:46 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Midweek games carry far less weight than the weekend since the #4 or #5 starting pitchers. Yes, you get the same RPI impact, and it does show up on your overall Top 25/50/100 resume as a win, but that's it.

I tend to agree with you except when it comes to either a trend of losing results ... i.e. lose 6 of 8 games and you'll drop pretty quickly, or if you run off a streak of, say 11 straight wins, then those midweek games affect polls disproportionately to other midweek games, granting that the bulk of said streak is comprised of weekend games. The subjective nature of polls allows them to run counter to metrics like RPI by emphasizing weekend results. But, it's also prone to other biases, like over-emphasis of early season results (by way of poll "inertia"), and valuing streaks as a genuine sign of some dramatic change in performance as opposed to random occurrences (some streaks are more one than the other).

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - waltgreenberg - 04-25-2016 07:38 PM

(04-25-2016 06:04 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
(04-25-2016 03:46 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Midweek games carry far less weight than the weekend since the #4 or #5 starting pitchers. Yes, you get the same RPI impact, and it does show up on your overall Top 25/50/100 resume as a win, but that's it.

I tend to agree with you except when it comes to either a trend of losing results ... i.e. lose 6 of 8 games and you'll drop pretty quickly, or if you run off a streak of, say 11 straight wins, then those midweek games affect polls disproportionately to other midweek games, granting that the bulk of said streak is comprised of weekend games. The subjective nature of polls allows them to run counter to metrics like RPI by emphasizing weekend results. But, it's also prone to other biases, like over-emphasis of early season results (by way of poll "inertia"), and valuing streaks as a genuine sign of some dramatic change in performance as opposed to random occurrences (some streaks are more one than the other).

I believe USM is just 4-7 in midweek games, including 2-6 vs. Top 50 teams. However, they've yet to lose on the weekend, largely because we're the only Top 50 team they've faced.

RE: Baseball Polls (w/o April 25th) - BeagleUSM - 04-25-2016 08:40 PM

(04-25-2016 07:38 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(04-25-2016 06:04 PM)I45owl Wrote:  

I believe USM is just 4-7 in midweek games, including 2-6 vs. Top 50 teams. However, they've yet to lose on the weekend, largely because we're the only Top 50 team they've faced.

We lost to UAB 2/3. Also, NWST is top 50 in the RPI and we had them early in a weekend series. Afraid they will drop like a rock after two midweek games with MS Valley though.