CSNbbs
All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA (/thread-777902.html)

Pages: 1 2

All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - Tom in Lazybrook - 04-17-2016 10:52 AM

Not good news for USA. We also are losing Jimmie Gipson.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/04/south_alabamas_joseph_scelfo_t.html#incart_river_home

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - USAJag2011 - 04-17-2016 11:41 AM

(04-17-2016 10:52 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Not good news for USA. We also are losing Jimmie Gipson.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/04/south_alabamas_joseph_scelfo_t.html#incart_river_home

Welcome to the future of college football. Where athletes can become free agents.

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - ark30inf - 04-17-2016 12:02 PM

(04-17-2016 11:41 AM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  
(04-17-2016 10:52 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Not good news for USA. We also are losing Jimmie Gipson.

Welcome to the future of college football. Where athletes can become free agents.

Sucks badly for USA. But I'm not sure what can be done about it. The kids have graduated and have a right to move on with their lives. Some of them may need to go on to graduate school at other schools or make other post-college life moves.

The problem of course is that it starts college football down the path of G5 becoming farm teams for P5 and P5 coaches potentially actively looking to interfere with G5 players. Poor G5 schools investing in the training of players and rich P5 schools reaping the reward. This would not be that much of a problem if the playing field was more level in the first place. You don't often see graduated star players transferring from P5 to G5.

The problem isn't the kid's freedom to transfer, they aren't slaves, its that the system is already way out of balance in everything else.

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - Tom in Lazybrook - 04-17-2016 12:18 PM

Kind of off topic. But this transfer thing is really getting out of control in college basketball.

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - Saint3333 - 04-17-2016 12:28 PM

New oline coach is Ledford Apps oline coach last year, makes you wonder.

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - airtroop - 04-17-2016 01:00 PM

While USA loses here, the kids see themselves as gaining by moving up to P5's, perhaps in order to increase their potential NFL draft stocks by showing they can compete at the highest collegiate level? Staying at a middle G5 could potentially cost them MILLIONS of dollars if they were to be UFA's or later round draft picks if they are successful in this endeavor (assuming it was a football-driven business decision).

Fact is, these are college graduates who have completed their obligations to USA with honor and I can't fault anyone for doing that, whether I agree or disagree with their reasoning. Sincerely, I wish them nothing but the very best in their last year of college football even if it does leave USA in a bit of a pickle.

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - ark30inf - 04-17-2016 01:52 PM

(04-17-2016 12:18 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Kind of off topic. But this transfer thing is really getting out of control in college basketball.
It has screwed college basketball. But again, unless you are paying them and have a contract, you morally don't have much room to be binding them to your school.

Tough one to crack.

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - GoBigRed26 - 04-17-2016 03:34 PM

(04-17-2016 01:00 PM)airtroop Wrote:  While USA loses here, the kids see themselves as gaining by moving up to P5's, perhaps in order to increase their potential NFL draft stocks by showing they can compete at the highest collegiate level? Staying at a middle G5 could potentially cost them MILLIONS of dollars if they were to be UFA's or later round draft picks if they are successful in this endeavor (assuming it was a football-driven business decision).

Fact is, these are college graduates who have completed their obligations to USA with honor and I can't fault anyone for doing that, whether I agree or disagree with their reasoning. Sincerely, I wish them nothing but the very best in their last year of college football even if it does leave USA in a bit of a pickle.

He could also go to NCState and not win the starting job and see minimal playing time and have no shot of being drafted. If you haven't noticed, the good players get drafted, no matter where they play.

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - FoUTASportscaster - 04-17-2016 03:39 PM

Similar topic

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2016/4/13/11419784/graduate-transfer-rule-drexel-charleston-lee-barry-mid-major

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - airtroop - 04-17-2016 04:28 PM

(04-17-2016 03:34 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  
(04-17-2016 01:00 PM)airtroop Wrote:  While USA loses here, the kids see themselves as gaining by moving up to P5's, perhaps in order to increase their potential NFL draft stocks by showing they can compete at the highest collegiate level? Staying at a middle G5 could potentially cost them MILLIONS of dollars if they were to be UFA's or later round draft picks if they are successful in this endeavor (assuming it was a football-driven business decision).

He could also go to NCState and not win the starting job and see minimal playing time and have no shot of being drafted. If you haven't noticed, the good players get drafted, no matter where they play.

Like I said, "whether I agree or disagree with their reasoning". Fact is, I've always thought it better to be a big fish in a small pond. They're taking gambles for sure and may live to regret it greatly. Hope not for their sakes but you're absolutely correct.

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - bluephi1914 - 04-17-2016 04:58 PM

We push these kids to graduate, they do it and now we want to limit their movement from there. Makes no sense. If they committed to the program and did all that was required athletically and educationally, let them move on with life upon graduation. The previous school had them for 4 years, so they benefited from the service. This is a product of sports requiring players to do pretty much year round schooling. They are graduating earlier. You want to keep them longer, limit their summer school attendance.

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - USAJag2011 - 04-17-2016 05:22 PM

I think the typical expectation is that they will play football for 4 years to earn their scholarship. The consequence, unfortunately, will likely be less redshirted players in G5 programs.

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - RoyK - 04-17-2016 06:44 PM

(04-17-2016 05:22 PM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  I think the typical expectation is that they will play football for 4 years to earn their scholarship. The consequence, unfortunately, will likely be less redshirted players in G5 programs.

Me and a buddy were talking of this I said it was crazy to think but with recent things coming up I'm not so sure. It's a tough one to swallow but they did graduate so let me move on. It sucks though.

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - WinstonTheWolf - 04-17-2016 08:17 PM

(04-17-2016 01:52 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(04-17-2016 12:18 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Kind of off topic. But this transfer thing is really getting out of control in college basketball.
It has screwed college basketball. But again, unless you are paying them and have a contract, you morally don't have much room to be binding them to your school.

Tough one to crack.

Of the things that have screwed college basketball, graduate transfers are not high on the list.

The list includes:
Star college players going to the NBA early
Money programs buying Non-Conference home games and refusing to play Non-Conference road games

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - airtroop - 04-18-2016 03:05 AM

(04-17-2016 03:39 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Similar topic

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2016/4/13/11419784/graduate-transfer-rule-drexel-charleston-lee-barry-mid-major

It's a great article but obviously, it's slanted toward "the G5's lose" in these grad x-fer deals. Well, that's true but we G5's also benefit from this rule as well. I'm sure many others can chime in but in USA's case, we've benefitted from more than a handful of P5 transfers at skill positions, including but not limited to Courtney Smith (UFA - NYJ), the Sim kid (backup QB at Oregon at the time, went on to become a GA @ USA). Come to think of it, another Oregon QB backup just fled to GaST. The P5's AND the G5's both reap the benefits of this transfer rule.

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - EigenEagle - 04-18-2016 06:49 AM

Yeah it works both ways.

We have a QB transfer from a D2 school that may possibly save the quarterback position next year.

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - kb325 - 04-18-2016 09:17 AM

In football it's all the red shirts being handed out that makes this transferring possible. It seems to me that there is good and bad to this. A kid comes out of high school and for whatever reason doesn't get a sniff from a P5...4 years later he's 300 pounds, all conference at a G5, etc...he chooses to give the ACC a try...good for him...but you also see this quite a bit the other way...kid gets recruited by a P5 and doesn't play much....next thing you know he spends his last year of eligibility at a G5 and gets the playing time he wants. I hope your center looked into the center situation at NCSU before he made the leap.

Sorry USA for your loss...but he gave you 4 years and 2 as a starter and a all conference selection. I wouldn't be do cartwheels either if this happened to stAte...but I understand...

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - TroyFootball05 - 04-18-2016 09:54 AM

You can't really ask a college graduate to stick around for another year when the school doesn't offer his graduate degree program and the student athlete has little to no chance at the NFL (so say many USA fans). His continued education trumps everything else.

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - trueeagle98 - 04-18-2016 10:00 AM

what's he supposed to do. He graduated. Be happy you got a quality player and student and wish him luck on his future endeavour.

This does work both ways. We got a P5 grad, I think, last year.

RE: All SBC Center Scelfo transfering from USA - USAJag2011 - 04-18-2016 10:10 AM

(04-18-2016 09:54 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  You can't really ask a college graduate to stick around for another year when the school doesn't offer his graduate degree program and the student athlete has little to no chance at the NFL (so say many USA fans). His continued education trumps everything else.

1. Where have you heard many Jag fans say that? I've heard only one fan on our site even suggest that. Not many. Almost every Jag fan wishes him well, although some may not like/agree his decision. He's a great kid and a really good football player. We will miss him for sure.

2. I don't think we know what his graduate degree path may be. USA may or may not offer it. He is leaving for a different experience his 5th year, no one knows if it is education related.