CSNbbs
Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: "Big Dave" Memorial Smack Forum (/forum-500.html)
+------ Thread: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? (/thread-777828.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - TruthBomb - 04-16-2016 09:25 AM

I will vote for josh. He left tubby with nothing but holes to fill and the Memphis brand has little national relevance at this point.

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - bubbapt - 04-16-2016 09:27 AM

They come and they go.

We'll be fine.

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - Brother Bluto - 04-16-2016 09:28 AM

Is that even a question ?

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - Oceana Tiger - 04-16-2016 09:28 AM

Josh clearly did. I would say Cal left us sitting pretty

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - midtowncowboy - 04-16-2016 09:29 AM

(04-16-2016 09:25 AM)TruthBomb Wrote:  I will vote for josh. He left tubby with nothing but holes to fill and the Memphis brand has little national relevance at this point.

How many first team all conference and All Amercian candidates did Cal leave JP?

That being said, no doubt the program is not where it was when Cal left. Not even close.

Not sure if Tubby can get it back to where Cal had it, I'm not sure many could, but I think we will have a great program under Tubby.

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - Brother Bluto - 04-16-2016 09:33 AM

(04-16-2016 09:29 AM)midtowncowboy Wrote:  
(04-16-2016 09:25 AM)TruthBomb Wrote:  I will vote for josh. He left tubby with nothing but holes to fill and the Memphis brand has little national relevance at this point.

How many first team all conference and All Amercian candidates did Cal leave JP?

That being said, no doubt the program is not where it was when Cal left. Not even close.

Not sure if Tubby can get it back to where Cal had it, I'm not sure many could, but I think we will have a great program under Tubby.

Dedric, Martin, Marshall, KJ coming off an Achilles , Randall , Markel

Vs

Spoon, Kemp, Coleman, Mack, Sallie, Niles

A team full of guys that haven't sniffed an NIT vs a team full of guys with NCAA experience

Hmmmmmm

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - TIGER7880 - 04-16-2016 09:39 AM

(04-16-2016 09:33 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

Vs

A team full of guys that haven't sniffed an NIT vs a team full of guys with NCAA experience

Hmmmmmm

Actually that returning list looks pretty good.

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - macgar32 - 04-16-2016 09:40 AM

Vs

Hmmmmmm

Talent level is about the same if we are looking at HS rankings.

I would also say that players that tubby is inheriting have more experience at being primary players as josh inherited role players.

Now the Memphis brand was in 100% better shape when josh took over

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - bluebacker - 04-16-2016 09:42 AM

(04-16-2016 09:28 AM)Oceana Tiger Wrote:  Josh clearly did. I would say Cal left us sitting pretty

Cal left us with everything but a loaded roster and a sno-cone machine.

Paz has left us with pretty much nothing. I could have hired Keelon Lawson as an assistant coach.

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - tigerjamesc - 04-16-2016 09:43 AM

(04-16-2016 09:40 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  

Vs

Hmmmmmm

I would also say that players that tubby is inheriting have more experience at being primary players as josh inherited role players.

The tie breaker is the rep hit we took by probation. Cal nuked more by a hair

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - Beetlejuice - 04-16-2016 09:47 AM

Let's throw all the players out from both coaches. Now take a look at national prominence after Cal and after Pastner. It's a no brainer.

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - rollo58 - 04-16-2016 09:50 AM

Yesterday, Peter Edmiston said Pastner was smoke and mirrors...PE was on target imo.

Not piling on, but to have someone that out of touch hijack our baby for 7 years is hard to fathom. So happy at the recent turn of events.

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - thememphisshow - 04-16-2016 09:50 AM

Coach Cal left the program with a top ten national brand. Because of Cal, people in the college community see the potential of what Memphis basketball can be. The probation meant nothing. In 2009, we were sitting pretty as far as national brand. We would have been UMASS if Josh would have stayed here for 2 more years.

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - Tony85 - 04-16-2016 09:51 AM

Love him or hate him but Cal raised the profile of the program to unprecedented heights and left behind players that even Josh could take to the second round of the NIT. That is a way better base than what Tubby has to start from.

However; the ultimate answer to the question is "The Contract" and who ever was responsible for that debacle. Josh could have been gone 1-2 years ago if not for that ridiculous contract.

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - EdmondTiger - 04-16-2016 10:07 AM

(04-16-2016 09:42 AM)bluebacker Wrote:  
(04-16-2016 09:28 AM)Oceana Tiger Wrote:  Josh clearly did. I would say Cal left us sitting pretty

Cal left us with everything but a loaded roster and a sno-cone machine.

Paz has left us with pretty much nothing. I could have hired Keelon Lawson as an assistant coach.

Cal wouldn't have had to hire Keelon.

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - UofMstateU - 04-16-2016 10:15 AM

Depends on how you look at it. All I know is that we had plenty of coaches who were interested in this job this time around, and landed a guy who has won a championship and has a handful of Elite 8's.

After Calipari left, about the only guys interested in the job was Scott Drew, the cab driver puncher, and that Hang Time dude. And we had a letter from the NCAA.

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - MTigerBlue - 04-16-2016 10:18 AM

Can you even imagine what this would look like, now, if Pastner had inherited what he left? Come on, man.

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - TrUmEm - 04-16-2016 10:57 AM

That's not really the kind of question I would ask, but the answer is Josh. You don't have to break anything down by detailed lists. Cal left us coming off highly successful program years and Josh is leaving us in a horrible down swing. No matter who is coming back and who isn't , which one do you think it is easier to recover from? At least with Cal, we still had our name. With Josh, we are looking to recover it.

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - TigerTodd72 - 04-16-2016 10:58 AM

Josh big time. Cal took our brand to new heights. Josh inherited the keys to a sports car and wrapped it around a tree.

RE: Who nuked the program more, Cal or Josh? - presskh - 04-16-2016 11:28 AM

(04-16-2016 09:40 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  

Vs

Hmmmmmm

Totally agree with your assessment.