CSNbbs
Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis (/thread-777626.html)

Pages: 1 2

Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - shayden31 - 04-14-2016 11:58 AM

This sums it up nicely at least for me.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/114757/tubby-smith-to-memphis-is-perfect

I like that he called Memphis fans smart and passionate. Always outliers in a group, but a nice characterization of the Tiger family. I am excited for what is to come.

GTG!!!

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - HometownTiger - 04-14-2016 11:59 AM

Yup - spot on.

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - John44932 - 04-14-2016 12:02 PM

Just got done reading it also. I think it will be a good fit.

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - BIGDTiger - 04-14-2016 12:04 PM

instant credibility restored to our program.

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - mempho_to_diego - 04-14-2016 12:11 PM

You look at those coaches in this league ... a majority of them all are X's and O's coaches. That is what we've been screaming and crying for, for the last several seasons. We got it and some folks want to b1tch about age, or not getting GM or Buzz - which to me, were long shots. Were there other options out there? Of course, but I am glad we've got a proven coach, with 23 seasons under his belt, as our next Men's bball coach.

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - TigerBlue4Ever - 04-14-2016 12:24 PM

(04-14-2016 12:11 PM)mempho_to_diego Wrote:  You look at those coaches in this league ... a majority of them all are X's and O's coaches. That is what we've been screaming and crying for, for the last several seasons. We got it and some folks want to b1tch about age, or not getting GM or Buzz - which to me, were long shots. Were there other options out there? Of course, but I am glad we've got a proven coach, with 23 seasons under his belt, as our next Men's bball coach.

Me too, a shot of no-nonsense maturity is one key component that's been missing for a while now.

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - Tiger87 - 04-14-2016 02:38 PM

(04-14-2016 12:11 PM)mempho_to_diego Wrote:  You look at those coaches in this league ... a majority of them all are X's and O's coaches. That is what we've been screaming and crying for, for the last several seasons. We got it and some folks want to b1tch about age, or not getting GM or Buzz - which to me, were long shots. Were there other options out there? Of course, but I am glad we've got a proven coach, with 23 seasons under his belt, as our next Men's bball coach.

Bingo, Diego

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - Tiger87 - 04-14-2016 02:39 PM

(04-14-2016 12:24 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  

Me too, a shot of no-nonsense maturity is one key component that's been missing for a while now.

Both in the coach's office and on this board.

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - tiger2000 - 04-14-2016 02:40 PM

(04-14-2016 11:58 AM)shayden31 Wrote:  This sums it up nicely at least for me.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/114757/tubby-smith-to-memphis-is-perfect

I like that he called Memphis fans smart and passionate. Always outliers in a group, but a nice characterization of the Tiger family. I am excited for what is to come.

GTG!!!

One of the things I thought Pastner did consistently was underestimate the fanbase - I never understood how some here were so behind him when he was clearly talking down to the fanbase.

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - CoachJammer - 04-14-2016 02:54 PM

(04-14-2016 12:04 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  instant credibility restored to our program.

I couldn't agree more. It seems to me the fact that we hired Tubby puts the program on solid ground after quite a few years of earthquakes.

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - Tiger46 - 04-14-2016 03:07 PM

Everyone is impressed with us but us.

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - 80sTiger - 04-14-2016 03:08 PM

"Smith still means something in the South, especially to black families who watched him lead the Kentucky Wildcats to the national title in 1998 as the first black coach in the program’s history. The kids Smith will covet at Memphis won’t remember that run. But their parents will. And in the city that acted as a key hub in the civil rights movement, it’s not insignificant."

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - holyterror - 04-14-2016 03:34 PM

(04-14-2016 03:08 PM)80sTiger Wrote:  "Smith still means something in the South, especially to black families who watched him lead the Kentucky Wildcats to the national title in 1998 as the first black coach in the program’s history. The kids Smith will covet at Memphis won’t remember that run. But their parents will. And in the city that acted as a key hub in the civil rights movement, it’s not insignificant."

That struck me as a good insight as well

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - mairving - 04-14-2016 03:54 PM

Looks like Race Car guy posted in the comments:

Quote:His record at Minn and TT is worst than the coach who got ran off from Memphis. 4 NCAA appearance in 9 years will not cut it at Memphis who came down hard because previoous coach only made it 4 times in 6 years. His winning percentage and best confewrence finish is worst than the previous coach.

He will be given a pass on much of this because he was not the one who followed Cal. But if we are completely honest his record does not match that of the previous coach over the past 7 years. To be completely honest besides inheriting a NCAA Championship tea in his first eyar at UK his career has been dare i say it mediocre.

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - RekeHavoc - 04-14-2016 03:59 PM

(04-14-2016 03:54 PM)mairving Wrote:  Looks like Race Car guy posted in the comments:

Quote:His record at Minn and TT is worst than the coach who got ran off from Memphis. 4 NCAA appearance in 9 years will not cut it at Memphis who came down hard because previoous coach only made it 4 times in 6 years. His winning percentage and best confewrence finish is worst than the previous coach.

He will be given a pass on much of this because he was not the one who followed Cal. But if we are completely honest his record does not match that of the previous coach over the past 7 years. To be completely honest besides inheriting a NCAA Championship tea in his first eyar at UK his career has been dare i say it mediocre.

Worst. haha

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - mairving - 04-14-2016 04:02 PM

(04-14-2016 03:59 PM)RekeHavoc Wrote:  
(04-14-2016 03:54 PM)mairving Wrote:  Looks like Race Car guy posted in the comments:

Worst. haha

Big 10 and Big 12 are equal I assume to CUSA and AAC in basketball.

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - tiger2000 - 04-14-2016 04:04 PM

Wonder if his Georgia Tech gear came in yet

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - gotigers1 - 04-14-2016 04:07 PM

Worst. haha

and he inherited a championship tea in his first eyar

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - mairving - 04-14-2016 04:08 PM

(04-14-2016 04:04 PM)tiger2000 Wrote:  

Wonder if his Georgia Tech gear came in yet

To be completely honest I hope so. To be completely honest he is worst than most other trolls.

RE: Interesting Read from ESPN on Tubby to Memphis - mairving - 04-14-2016 04:09 PM

(04-14-2016 04:07 PM)gotigers1 Wrote:  

Worst. haha

and he inherited a championship tea in his first eyar

Maybe eyar was with Winnie the Pooh at the championship tea.