CSNbbs
Trump voters loners? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Trump voters loners? (/thread-775923.html)

Trump voters loners? - bullet - 03-29-2016 10:46 AM

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/03/29/does_social_connectedness_explain_trumps_appeal_130125.html

Interesting theory-that Trump voters are those with low social-connectedness and that he does poorly where there among groups with higher social-connectedness.

How can one make sense of the electoral divisions in this year's Republican primaries and caucuses? The contours of Donald Trump's support and opposition don't fall on traditional lines.

There's not a regional division, for example. Trump's best states have been Massachusetts, Mississippi and Arizona.

We're not seeing the divide between evangelical Christians and others apparent in the 2008 race between Mike Huckabee and John McCain.

We're not seeing the suburbs/countryside division of 2012, when in crucial primaries Mitt Romney carried million-plus metro areas and Rick Santorum carried almost all other counties. Trump carried metro Detroit and Chicago -- Romney country last time -- but lost to Ted Cruz in Raleigh-Durham and Kansas City.

So what factor distinguishes Trump and non-Trump voters? My answer is social connectedness or, to use Robert Putnam's term in "Bowling Alone," social capital. Socially connected people have strong family ties and wide circles of friends, are active in churches and voluntary organizations and work steadily.

RE: Trump voters loners? - NIU007 - 03-29-2016 01:17 PM

That's a lot of loners.

RE: Trump voters loners? - firmbizzle - 03-29-2016 02:08 PM

How about "mad as hell and ain't gonna take it" voters?

RE: Trump voters loners? - bullet - 03-29-2016 02:15 PM

(03-29-2016 02:08 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  How about "mad as hell and ain't gonna take it" voters?

This article theorizes why they are mad as hell and accept someone like Trump.

RE: Trump voters loners? - HeartOfDixie - 03-29-2016 02:18 PM

Insulting voters has panned out so well this far!

RE: Trump voters loners? - bullet - 03-29-2016 02:27 PM

(03-29-2016 02:18 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Insulting voters has panned out so well this far!

Its categorizing. I just simplified his term.

There's got to be something different about these people that isn't explained by the normal "groups" of Republicans. These people are willing to accept a sniveling bully and world class ******* as president. That's pretty extreme and very different from the past.

RE: Trump voters loners? - SuperFlyBCat - 03-29-2016 02:28 PM

Barone is making way too many assumptions.

RE: Trump voters loners? - HeartOfDixie - 03-29-2016 02:28 PM

Don't let your opinion cloud your judgement.

RE: Trump voters loners? - EverRespect - 03-29-2016 02:54 PM

(03-29-2016 10:46 AM)bullet Wrote:  http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/03/29/does_social_connectedness_explain_trumps_appeal_130125.html

Interesting theory-that Trump voters are those with low social-connectedness and that he does poorly where there among groups with higher social-connectedness.

How can one make sense of the electoral divisions in this year's Republican primaries and caucuses? The contours of Donald Trump's support and opposition don't fall on traditional lines.

There's not a regional division, for example. Trump's best states have been Massachusetts, Mississippi and Arizona.

We're not seeing the divide between evangelical Christians and others apparent in the 2008 race between Mike Huckabee and John McCain.

We're not seeing the suburbs/countryside division of 2012, when in crucial primaries Mitt Romney carried million-plus metro areas and Rick Santorum carried almost all other counties. Trump carried metro Detroit and Chicago -- Romney country last time -- but lost to Ted Cruz in Raleigh-Durham and Kansas City.

So what factor distinguishes Trump and non-Trump voters? My answer is social connectedness or, to use Robert Putnam's term in "Bowling Alone," social capital. Socially connected people have strong family ties and wide circles of friends, are active in churches and voluntary organizations and work steadily.
Because loners have time to read the bullschit and conspiracy theories that his propaganda arm advances. To ba fair I do know socially connected people that follow him as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RE: Trump voters loners? - SuperFlyBCat - 03-29-2016 03:14 PM

(03-29-2016 02:54 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(03-29-2016 10:46 AM)bullet Wrote:  http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/03/29/does_social_connectedness_explain_trumps_appeal_130125.html

Because loners have time to read the bullschit and conspiracy theories that his propaganda arm advances. To ba fair I do know socially connected people that follow him as well.

Barone never defined what that is. Just vague thoughts regarding people of German and Dutch heritage being more social.

RE: Trump voters loners? - NIU007 - 03-29-2016 04:07 PM

(03-29-2016 02:27 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(03-29-2016 02:18 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Insulting voters has panned out so well this far!

There's got to be something different about these people that isn't explained by the normal "groups" of Republicans. These people are willing to accept a sniveling bully and world class ******* as president. That's pretty extreme and very different from the past.

They probably watch too much "reality" TV. For them, Trump seems normal.

RE: Trump voters loners? - stinkfist - 03-29-2016 06:39 PM

I thought gts was the only lon(s)er in the basement....

did somebody lie to me?

dadgummit....now I have to reconfigure code.....

RE: Trump voters loners? - EverRespect - 03-29-2016 07:09 PM

(03-29-2016 03:14 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(03-29-2016 02:54 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Barone never defined what that is. Just vague thoughts regarding people of German and Dutch heritage being more social.
It's pretty clear. People that have a busy schedule with a big network.

RE: Trump voters loners? - Crebman - 03-29-2016 07:20 PM

(03-29-2016 04:07 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(03-29-2016 02:27 PM)bullet Wrote:  

They probably watch too much "reality" TV. For them, Trump seems normal.

Could be. I'm assuming you suppose that Hillary backers are into crime shows?

Good theory! 04-cheers

RE: Trump voters loners? - blunderbuss - 03-29-2016 07:34 PM

(03-29-2016 01:17 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  That's a lot of loners.
Lol. My 1st thought too.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

RE: Trump voters loners? - bullet - 03-29-2016 09:56 PM

(03-29-2016 02:28 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Barone is making way too many assumptions.

I said it was an interesting theory. Didn't say I bought it.

RE: Trump voters loners? - CardFan1 - 03-30-2016 07:04 AM

Every time a Liberal speaks, A new Trump voter is Born !03-lmfao

RE: Trump voters loners? - HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine - 03-30-2016 07:05 AM

I have a busy schedule, but I am a loner.

RE: Trump voters loners? - Lord Stanley - 03-30-2016 10:25 AM

Loners deserve elected representation, and each has one vote. So why not target them for their votes?