CSNbbs
Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football (/thread-774398.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - DiehardHuskie - 03-16-2016 08:30 AM

2. Will Northern Illinois bounce back from a disappointing 2015 season?

Much like Bowling Green, Northern Illinois has been a dominant force in the Mid-American Conference over the past five seasons winning three titles (2014, 2012, and 2011). But injuries hampered last season’s efforts as the team finished with just eight wins – the lowest win total since 2009. The good news for Rod Carey and his staff is that the team returns at least 14 starters from last season including the team’s top rusher in Joel Bouagnon (1,286 yards). The offensive line returns three starters and while the team saw three players see action at quarterback expect Drew Hare and Ryan Graham to compete for the job in spring. The defense returns six players from a group that ranked tenth in total defense. If Carey can build some depth at certain positions, a return to the MAC title game could be close.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/college-gridiron-365/os-five-questions-for-mid-american-conference-entering-spring-football-20160316-story.html

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - Stpetebeachrocketfan - 03-16-2016 08:40 AM

(03-16-2016 08:30 AM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  2. Will Northern Illinois bounce back from a disappointing 2015 season?

Much like Bowling Green, Northern Illinois has been a dominant force in the Mid-American Conference over the past five seasons winning three titles (2014, 2012, and 2011). But injuries hampered last season’s efforts as the team finished with just eight wins – the lowest win total since 2009. The good news for Rod Carey and his staff is that the team returns at least 14 starters from last season including the team’s top rusher in Joel Bouagnon (1,286 yards). The offensive line returns three starters and while the team saw three players see action at quarterback expect Drew Hare and Ryan Graham to compete for the job in spring. The defense returns six players from a group that ranked tenth in total defense. If Carey can build some depth at certain positions, a return to the MAC title game could be close.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/college-gridiron-365/os-five-questions-for-mid-american-conference-entering-spring-football-20160316-story.html

Once again for, with the exception of WMU in the mix, we are still relying on the same MAC programs including Toledo, NIU and BGSU to carry the load again to make our conference relevant. Up until about a decade ago before NIU was a shining star in the conference it was just a couple schools most years with the exception of a team here and there when they had an exceptionally good QB.

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - epasnoopy - 03-16-2016 09:28 AM

If anyone but Drew Hare is our starter we can enjoy another disappointing season. Nothing I've seen from the other quarterbacks puts them anywhere near the realm of being as good as Drew Hare.

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - RedandBlackAttack - 03-16-2016 10:34 AM

(03-16-2016 09:28 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  If anyone but Drew Hare is our starter we can enjoy another disappointing season. Nothing I've seen from the other quarterbacks puts them anywhere near the realm of being as good as Drew Hare.

Well considering the backups for this past season were Graham and Fiedler, that is not a surprise.

Maddie and Santa were both injured and they both are better than Graham I would assume. Also, Childers will be available right away this season.

Hare is pretty good but don't act like he is some sort of player like Harnish or Lynch. He played like poo in the big games.

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - Dog Fan - 03-16-2016 10:51 AM

In the MAC, you get into - and win - championship games with a stud QB. A top RB or WR will not do it. We need Hare, and he needs to step up his game for us to get back to the MACC. Competition from WMU and Toledo (with whom we gave up a home game) will make things very tough. Oh, and we need to beat CMU for a change!

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - DogPoundNorth - 03-16-2016 10:55 AM

(03-16-2016 10:51 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  In the MAC, you get into - and win - championship games with a stud QB. A top RB or WR will not do it. We need Hare, and he needs to step up his game for us to get back to the MACC. Competition from WMU and Toledo (with whom we gave up a home game) will make things very tough. Oh, and we need to beat CMU for a change!

We don't know how good our other QBs are at this point. And Hare isn't going to be close to the same player her was.

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - Rabid Squirrel - 03-16-2016 11:10 AM

(03-16-2016 10:55 AM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  
(03-16-2016 10:51 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  In the MAC, you get into - and win - championship games with a stud QB. A top RB or WR will not do it. We need Hare, and he needs to step up his game for us to get back to the MACC. Competition from WMU and Toledo (with whom we gave up a home game) will make things very tough. Oh, and we need to beat CMU for a change!

We don't know how good our other QBs are at this point. And Hare isn't going to be close to the same player her was.

His running and escapability won't be the same, that's for sure. Maybe he can develop into a better pocket QB. I though he made strides in accuracy between years 1 and 2. Maybe he will just focus on those things. The problem is the offense will then have to adapt to that style.

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - MaddDawgz02 - 03-16-2016 11:25 AM

They don't mean that as a true QB competition do they? I know Hare is a severely flawed QB, but I don't think Graham is anywhere in the vicinity of competing for a starting job, unless they mean due to Hare's injury?

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - GCD70 - 03-16-2016 11:38 AM

(03-16-2016 11:25 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  They don't mean that as a true QB competition do they? I know Hare is a severely flawed QB, but I don't think Graham is anywhere in the vicinity of competing for a starting job, unless they mean due to Hare's injury?

Hare is hardly a flawed QB. He should be healthy and is our starter period. The only question is who is the backup. The only flawed thing is your football analysis.

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - DogPoundNorth - 03-16-2016 12:19 PM

(03-16-2016 11:38 AM)GCD70 Wrote:  
(03-16-2016 11:25 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  They don't mean that as a true QB competition do they? I know Hare is a severely flawed QB, but I don't think Graham is anywhere in the vicinity of competing for a starting job, unless they mean due to Hare's injury?

Hare is hardly a flawed QB. He should be healthy and is our starter period. The only question is who is the backup. The only flawed thing is your football analysis.

While not "severely flawed" he is certainly not a GREAT QB. He has his good games and his bad games. I'm interested to see how good Santa and the kid from Memphis are. I don't care how old you are, if you aren't the best QB you don't get to play. I also know that his injury will mean he can no longer be counted on as a running QB...and let's just say his passing game isn't exactly top notch. We will see how he does this spring, but I don't have high hopes for Hare.

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - huskie1stdown - 03-16-2016 12:22 PM

This is a really big year for NIU and Carey. Have we peaked and are on a decline or was last year a bump in the road.

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - klake87 - 03-16-2016 01:13 PM

Hare is one of the best QBs in the MAC. The game that he had against CMU is not a good example of his abilities. It was rainy and cold. Hare does have a problem with gripping the ball so any games similar to the CMU game will be a challenge. In non rain games, he has performed quite well. He would have been a three year starter. Now he will be a 2.5 year starter. IF HEALTHY, he will be more than adequate at QB.

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - NIU05 - 03-16-2016 01:45 PM

"Flawed" wtf is that ****? Hare is a WINNER. He has played fantastic for us. Is he a Heisman trophy canidate? No. Is he an NFLer? Probably not. But this guy is a WINNER. Love the way he competes,Tough as nails

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - GCD70 - 03-16-2016 02:11 PM

(03-16-2016 12:19 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  

While not "severely flawed" he is certainly not a GREAT QB. He has his good games and his bad games. I'm interested to see how good Santa and the kid from Memphis are. I don't care how old you are, if you aren't the best QB you don't get to play. I also know that his injury will mean he can no longer be counted on as a running QB...and let's just say his passing game isn't exactly top notch. We will see how he does this spring, but I don't have high hopes for Hare.

he is very good, a top MAC QB. His recovery form the injury was exceptional due to a new surgery. They'll protect him in the spring, but i'm sure its all go in the fall. Hare does not get hurt I think we beat ohio and we would have been right there vs bgsu.

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - MaddDawgz02 - 03-16-2016 02:49 PM

(03-16-2016 02:11 PM)GCD70 Wrote:  

he is very good, a top MAC QB. His recovery form the injury was exceptional due to a new surgery. They'll protect him in the spring, but i'm sure its all go in the fall. Hare does not get hurt I think we beat ohio and we would have been right there vs bgsu.

Part of the problem with Hare in my opinion is that it seems like Carey has absolutely diminished his confidence to near zero. The whole mismanagement of the QB situation his sophomore year, and then just handicapping him by chewing him out whenever he took a chance and made a mistake downfield. Carey is not a good coach in terms of working with QBs.

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - DogPoundNorth - 03-16-2016 02:56 PM

(03-16-2016 02:49 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

Part of the problem with Hare in my opinion is that it seems like Carey has absolutely diminished his confidence to near zero. The whole mismanagement of the QB situation his sophomore year, and then just handicapping him by chewing him out whenever he took a chance and made a mistake downfield. Carey is not a good coach in terms of working with QBs.

I disagree. Hare isn't Harnish or Lynch, and we can't keep expecting him to be. He's just not that great of a QB. He's solid and a game manager, but he's not a difference maker. I have no problem with carey finding out who the best QB is and playing that person. If it's not Hare this year, i'm fine with that. And Hare can't throw downfield, so I understand Carey's frustration lol.

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - MaddDawgz02 - 03-16-2016 03:01 PM

(03-16-2016 02:56 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  
(03-16-2016 11:38 AM)GCD70 Wrote:  Hare is hardly a flawed QB. He should be healthy and is our starter period. The only question is who is the backup. The only flawed thing is your football analysis.

I disagree. Hare isn't Harnish or Lynch, and we can't keep expecting him to be. He's just not that great of a QB. He's solid and a game manager, but he's not a difference maker. I have no problem with carey finding out who the best QB is and playing that person. If it's not Hare this year, i'm fine with that. And Hare can't throw downfield, so I understand Carey's frustration lol.

He can throw downfield, but the way NIU has sequenced the play calling the past few years, it is always predictable 3rd and long times when he has to go down field. Hard to be successful that way. Of course there are other times when NIU from an offensive play calling perspective just throws in the towel and doesn't even let him make a mistake even on 3rd down like we saw in the white flag waving game at OSU>

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - GCD70 - 03-16-2016 03:07 PM

much of our problem was with a limited play calling agenda. I am not one to criticize play calling, but I did feel Cole was very predictable. For example our unwillingness to work the middle of the field i think was a severe handicap. Have to use the whole field.

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - blackhawk - 03-16-2016 03:07 PM

We are arguing in the abstract.

Let's see how Hare recovers. I would gander to guess that he will be at or near the player he was. No, they probably shouldn't and won't use him as they did, but he will still find his spots. This is smart for every reason.

If he recovers as we hope, there will be no QB controversy/question mark. That will be the following year or THIS year if he is not healthy.

I would be willing to bet that the next good/great NIU QB not named Hare did not take a snap last season.

RE: Orlando Sentinel: Five Questions for MAC Entering Spring Football - MaddDawgz02 - 03-16-2016 03:09 PM

(03-16-2016 03:07 PM)GCD70 Wrote:  
(03-16-2016 11:38 AM)GCD70 Wrote:  Hare is hardly a flawed QB. He should be healthy and is our starter period. The only question is who is the backup. The only flawed thing is your football analysis.

much of our problem was with a limited play calling agenda. I am not one to criticize play calling, but I did feel Cole was very predictable. For example our unwillingness to work the middle of the field i think was a severe handicap. Have to use the whole field.

Amen!

That play calling was one that was done in fear, that is why I think Hare's confidence struggles because he knows the coaching staff does not trust him.

I really think that Ohio State game devastated a lot of players on the team, they came to play and were not given a chance to win. That game will always hurt.