CSNbbs
Was losing to UConn a good thing? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Was losing to UConn a good thing? (/thread-774062.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Was losing to UConn a good thing? - doss2 - 03-14-2016 12:13 AM

As much as I hate seeing cuts of the game over and over and in the future, losing may have been good.

Clark's bad ankle, Shaq's leg will be more rested for the NCAA's.

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - subflea - 03-14-2016 02:11 AM

During Mick's presser after the selection, he said neither of those two would have played Saturday or Sunday had they won. So it wasn't that great. They were all happy that they don't play until Friday though.

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - Overrated - 03-14-2016 02:13 AM

Probably given the draw we got. We are a reasonable favorite in our first game and of the top 9 seeds in the tournament (all the 2 seeds and West Virginia), Oregon is arguably the 8th best team with a weakness on the defensive glass. That's pretty favorable for UC.

Of course if we win that game against UConn Friday, we could have improved our seeding quite a bit by winning the AAC tournament. But you could make the case we would have needed to get to a 6 seed to get a better overall first weekend draw than what we got (maybe the 7 in Xavier's region being the exception).

Hopefully the week off has at least Clark and Cobb feeling good. I think Shaq's body is gonna be in bad shape regardless, but that is just a guess.

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - jarr - 03-14-2016 05:05 AM

I'm pretty sure Mick has never won a conference tournament. It would be nice to win at least one.

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - doss2 - 03-14-2016 07:34 AM

Not a doctor and I don't stay at Holiday Inns, but Shaq's injuries seem like they will only heal with a long rest. Since his career is thus over I wish him well in healing.

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - Brian_Johnson - 03-14-2016 07:37 AM

(03-14-2016 05:05 AM)jarr Wrote:  I'm pretty sure Mick has never won a conference tournament. It would be nice to win at least one.

You are correct. Closest they came was making the BE final vs. UL.

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - Brian_Johnson - 03-14-2016 07:39 AM

Agree about Shaq Doss and Overrated. I really hope he can go, but, after taking all that time off, than re-aggravating things, not feeling really good about it.

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - 50Cent - 03-14-2016 07:40 AM

Big east final back then was harder to make than winning any AAC tourney

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - BeerCat - 03-14-2016 07:43 AM

(03-14-2016 07:40 AM)50Cent Wrote:  Big east final back then was harder to make than winning any AAC tourney

Maybe we should hang a banner that says that.

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - RealDeal - 03-14-2016 07:44 AM

Yes, losing to UCONN was a good thing. I said in-between the second and third OT that if I wasn't concerned that it might send us to Dayton or worse we'd be better off losing with the Shaq and Clark injury.

Having seen where were seeded I definitely think it was best. If we win the tournament we may climb to a 7 which gives potential 2nd round matchups with Michigan State or Villanova. Not much worse than playing Oregon if we're lucky enough to win Friday.

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - Brian_Johnson - 03-14-2016 07:53 AM

(03-14-2016 07:43 AM)BeerCat Wrote:  
(03-14-2016 07:40 AM)50Cent Wrote:  Big east final back then was harder to make than winning any AAC tourney

I would also argue that C-USA (when we were in it) was at least as difficult as the American is now.

Top teams, C-USA:

Cincinnati
Marquette
Memphis
Louisville
DePaul
Charlotte
(DePaul/Charlotte were actually good programs before the conferences starting shifting)

Top teams, American:

SMU
Temple
UConn
Cincinnati
Tulsa

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - uchoops - 03-14-2016 07:56 AM

If u want a banner....print a banner...r u for participation awards too?

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - BeerCat - 03-14-2016 08:03 AM

(03-14-2016 07:56 AM)uchoops Wrote:  

If u want a banner....print a banner...r u for participation awards too?

HAHA. I was being VERY sarcastic.

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - cpawstoney - 03-14-2016 08:19 AM

It's too late to be learning lessons. The problem with the loss to UCONN was a lack of discipline plain and simple. Three of the five players were over by the bench celebrating the three point shot leaving NO ONE to defend the inbound pass and tying shot. They deserved to lose and I put the lack of discipline on the coach!

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - 50Cent - 03-14-2016 08:51 AM

Apparently you inferred that I suggested that was an accomplishment that should be noted. I simply stated that it was harder to reach finals in that conference then than winning the AAC.

Usually it was 4 games. Teams like Syracuse and Pitt and UConn and Villanova Louisville, Gtown, Marquette...it was a gauntlet.

I agree the AAC tourney performance by UC has been underwhelming, to say it nicely.

On the other hand...while I hope and expect UC to perform better in the conference tourney and NCAA tourney...I think many undervalue making 6 straight tourneys. Same people weren't happy with Huggs much of time for the same reason. There are 300+ teams that wish for that. And assessing teams on performance in a one and out tourney unless you are a 1,2,3 or 4 seed is pure folly.

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - CliftonAve - 03-14-2016 08:58 AM

The biggest benefit of losing was that we had a few guys banged up and/or worn out and they needed the extra few days rest.

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - ctipton - 03-14-2016 09:09 AM

To me, this is all amazing. We have a coach that just took us to the 6th straight NCAA, another 20 win season, and there are still complainers. He has done as much as Huggins and even made it out of the 1st weekend, but he is still a bad coach. I'm sure there will be many to come after me and say he doesn't do this and that, but it is all BS. I am pleased with the coach and for the most part the results he gets. His pay cap is just not as great as the UNCs and KUs and UKs of the college MBB world.

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - Brian_Johnson - 03-14-2016 09:21 AM

(03-14-2016 09:09 AM)ctipton Wrote:  To me, this is all amazing. We have a coach that just took us to the 6th straight NCAA, another 20 win season, and there are still complainers. He has done as much as Huggins and even made it out of the 1st weekend, but he is still a bad coach. I'm sure there will be many to come after me and say he doesn't do this and that, but it is all BS. I am pleased with the coach and for the most part the results he gets. His pay cap is just not as great as the UNCs and KUs and UKs of the college MBB world.

Great post 04-bow

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - Edgebrookjeff - 03-14-2016 09:23 AM

(03-14-2016 07:44 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  Yes, losing to UCONN was a good thing. I said in-between the second and third OT that if I wasn't concerned that it might send us to Dayton or worse we'd be better off losing with the Shaq and Clark injury.

Having seen where were seeded I definitely think it was best. If we win the tournament we may climb to a 7 which gives potential 2nd round matchups with Michigan State or Villanova. Not much worse than playing Oregon if we're lucky enough to win Friday.

I don't think that wins over Temple and Memphis would have given us a 7 seed. It's pretty evident that this tournament selection crew valued regular season over tournament results. We may have gotten an 8, and we would still be playing a number one seed in the second round.

RE: Was losing to UConn a good thing? - Coopdaddy67 - 03-14-2016 09:32 AM

(03-14-2016 09:09 AM)ctipton Wrote:  To me, this is all amazing. We have a coach that just took us to the 6th straight NCAA, another 20 win season, and there are still complainers. He has done as much as Huggins and even made it out of the 1st weekend, but he is still a bad coach. I'm sure there will be many to come after me and say he doesn't do this and that, but it is all BS. I am pleased with the coach and for the most part the results he gets. His pay cap is just not as great as the UNCs and KUs and UKs of the college MBB world.

Yeah...no. Saying he's done as much as Huggins is crazy.

Not hard to win 20 games when you're beating up on average and even terrible basketball teams.

Like many of us have said, it's time to make some noise in March. Not saying Cronin is a bad coach, but it's time to prove his worth.

The expectation can't be just getting into the NCAA Tournament, especially given how weak the bubble has been lately. If that's good enough, the expectations have really fallen off a cliff and I find that to be unacceptable.