CSNbbs
Murphy's contract? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: Murphy's contract? (/thread-773230.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Murphy's contract? - emu79 - 03-08-2016 09:32 AM

Many of us think that Murphy has next year on his current contract, however this was a discussion last night and one person said that Murphy has 3 years left on his current contract. Anyone actually have the facts on this?

RE: Murphy's contract? - emussuperfan - 03-08-2016 09:49 AM

That person had just got done talking to Stapleton.

RE: Murphy's contract? - emussuperfan - 03-08-2016 09:52 AM

The Wi-Fi in the convo sucks and they have no free access unless you can get a id and password i get mine from the rec/im but it still only works half the time and is very slow. All the other places I've been to has had at least free and good access.

RE: Murphy's contract? - emu79 - 03-08-2016 10:35 AM

Yes I agree with you about the lousy Wi-Fi access at the Convo.

RE: Murphy's contract? - emu steve - 03-08-2016 10:57 AM

I believe Murphy ' s contract was part of the Board meeting last month.

Think there are performance clauses which extend the contract for things like making a post season tourney.

RE: Murphy's contract? - Luckeyone - 03-08-2016 12:05 PM

I don't believe Murphy's conference record would merit a 3 year extension. I believe it should be something renewed annually and extended year to year. It is time for someone to relaunch EMU' s basketball trajectory to post season tournaments. If Murphy wants to take his roster to reach their potential, then he has to grow as a coach: 1) In game adjustments when zone is not working, 2) Structured offense when 3 man weave is not working.

To Murphy's credit, he has opened up the fast break and brought in talented players; however, he must grow to take this program beyond 9-9 finishes. Next year, we need to see growth and wins.

RE: Murphy's contract? - RamyEMU - 03-08-2016 12:52 PM

If Murphy had 1 season where EMU was in contention for the MAC championship- either tournament or regular season- I think we would be happy with an otherwise 0.500 conference record. The MAC has always had great parity and Murphy's D1 non-conference record has been solid the last 3 years. In terms of overall computer rankings over this period, EMU has easily been top half of D1 and the MAC. Without that crowning season, I can understand questioning the extension but it is not unreasonable either move either.

RE: Murphy's contract? - emu steve - 03-08-2016 01:10 PM

(03-08-2016 12:05 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  I don't believe Murphy's conference record would merit a 3 year extension. I believe it should be something renewed annually and extended year to year. It is time for someone to relaunch EMU' s basketball trajectory to post season tournaments. If Murphy wants to take his roster to reach their potential, then he has to grow as a coach: 1) In game adjustments when zone is not working, 2) Structured offense when 3 man weave is not working.

To Murphy's credit, he has opened up the fast break and brought in talented players; however, he must grow to take this program beyond 9-9 finishes. Next year, we need to see growth and wins.

Opinions are opinions, but a contract is a contract. Based on that Murphy has a few years remaining and could earn another year with a post season bid.

Adding a year for a post season bid is reasonable and a fair way of conducting negotiations with an employee.

RE: Murphy's contract? - easterneagles79 - 03-08-2016 01:10 PM

(03-08-2016 12:05 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  I don't believe Murphy's conference record would merit a 3 year extension. I believe it should be something renewed annually and extended year to year.

Would be hard to convince a recruit to come to EMU if he didnt even know if the coach would be there next year or not. It could never be a year to year thing.

RE: Murphy's contract? - emu steve - 03-08-2016 01:13 PM

(03-08-2016 01:10 PM)easterneagles79 Wrote:  
(03-08-2016 12:05 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  I don't believe Murphy's conference record would merit a 3 year extension. I believe it should be something renewed annually and extended year to year.

Would be hard to convince a recruit to come to EMU if he didnt even know if the coach would be there next year or now. It could never be a year to year thing.

Agree.

Year to year contracts sound good to fans but I doubt it is a good way to do business....

Folks need to know that a year was added two years ago and a year last year.

This stuff occurs an annually.

If we get a post season bid next week another year will be added.

So Murphy coaches a year and a year gets added to his contract. Good for him and the program, but bad for forum posters who love to call for coaches to be re-evaluated on their whim.

RE: Murphy's contract? - JonesGoddard - 03-09-2016 10:18 AM

I think Murphy is gone after this year anyways, what does it matter?

RE: Murphy's contract? - emu steve - 03-09-2016 12:04 PM

Better job?

RE: Murphy's contract? - Ken Barna - 03-09-2016 12:15 PM

Dear JonesGoddard,
I think it matters a lot. To quote others on this site, if he leaves, will players defect, recruits not come, etc. I think players want to know that their coach is going to be around for their playing days.

RE: Murphy's contract? - Luckeyone - 03-09-2016 09:26 PM

I will bet anyone on here $500 that Murphy does not get another head coaching FBS basketball job. In his 5 years, he is hovering around 0.500 in conference. I give him credit for bringing in talent, but he has not shown in-game coaching ability to merit a better job than what he has at EMU. In fact, in retrospect, he is not ready for EMU job. We have to stop hiring P5 assistant coaches with nohead coaching experience. Look at Ohio, they went and hired an up and coming experienced D1 coach who has been to two NCAA tournaments. He has the MAC POTY as a junior and a load of talent coming back in only his second year. Look at Oates at Buffalo in his 1st year. When Murphy leaves, we'll need to find a coach with head coaching experience and local ties. Dr. Lyke seemimgly has done a great hire with Creighton and i am excited to see what she could do with basketball.
The only way Murphy gets a better HC job than EMU is to mix up his defenses and offenses......but I do not see it happening after observing his strategy the past 5 years.

RE: Murphy's contract? - RamyEMU - 03-09-2016 10:36 PM

Luckeyone, each of the last 3 years EMU has hovered right around the top third mark in D1 basketball based on computer rankings. That is a solid accomplishment for any mid major program. Let alone one that has been in dumps for a long time and Murphy had to rebuild.

Taking over an Ohio program with a lot of recent success AND an actual fan base/ community support/ etc is irrelevant if not unfair comparison.m

Creighton is the successful hire that Murphy is not?!?!?!

It just feels like you are bent against Murphy. Fixating on any failure or flaw (which exist) while completely ignoring his successes and or skills (which far outweigh the former).

RE: Murphy's contract? - emu79 - 03-10-2016 03:04 AM

If Murphy does have 3 years remaining on his contract wonder what the buyout provision would be?

Honestly Murphy is set for perhaps his best EMU team talent wise next year so I don't see him leaving maybe next year depending on things like winning a conference title and NCAA appearance.

RE: Murphy's contract? - emussuperfan - 03-10-2016 11:18 AM

(03-09-2016 12:15 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear JonesGoddard,
I think it matters a lot. To quote others on this site, if he leaves, will players defect, recruits not come, etc. I think players want to know that their coach is going to be around for their playing days.

I have heard these excuse for 20 years as a means to keep underperforming coaches. 07-coffee3

RE: Murphy's contract? - Luckeyone - 03-10-2016 11:38 AM

(03-10-2016 11:18 AM)emussuperfan Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 12:15 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear JonesGoddard,

I have heard these excuse for 20 years as a means to keep underperforming coaches. 07-coffee3

Agree Super!! If you check around our conference board, you'll find several references where MAC fans have admitted our talent is top 1/4 in conference, but yet we underachieve year after year. In fact, we had the most talent with Ward, Lee, Tally, Okalaji, Riley, Glenn Bryant and Harrison and still did not come close to winning the conference. I doubt next year's team will be more talented than the one I listed. Listen, I give Murphy credit for bringing in talent but he is an Average MAC coach. There's no debate based on data 0.500 MAC record.

Murphy's contract? - Time2Fly - 03-10-2016 10:24 PM

With our season coming to a saddening end, I feel the need to say that I think it is time for Murphy to go. My points are these: Murphy has done an excellent job of finding talent. I don't love his reliance on transfer but there is no doubt he has been able to put capable guys on the floor. However, that leads to my harshest criticism. He has no, and when I say no, I mean zero, ability to develop talent. Ray Lee is the same raw talented player he was three years ago and he should be a POY candidate. His stubbornness on defense has cost us I don't know how many games. The 3-2 zone is suffocating and great but teams in the MAC figure it out. His ability to coach offense leaves much to be desired. Their higher point total this year has much more to do with player ability and not him. Finally, while he has created a culture where losing is not the norm, he is failing to create a consistent winner. Next year, we will see arguably the most talented roster at EMU in well over a decade and I'm not sure I'm willing to give Murphy another chance to prove he can get them to where they need to be. I appreciate all he has done but am ready to move on. Thoughts?

RE: Murphy's contract? - RamyEMU - 03-10-2016 11:39 PM

Good points, Fly. But...

The standard term for new coach in college is 5 years for a mid major. In most cases of rebuilding programs, no matter how bad the new coach is he will get the full 5 years before being released.

Murphy has not been bad at all- though it is arguable he had not been good either. nometheless, he can't be given the same 5 years and done treatment that a bad coach will receive. He has earned something more. And will receive at least next year to continue to prove he can bring this to the next level.